• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

YerTheBestAROUND

Smash Journeyman
Playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild for eternity.
Oh good, I thought I was the only one.

To be fair, that kind of analysis only reiterates a big stigma when people debate Bowser's matchups (and even Bowser in general): they focus almost exclusively on his disadvantageous state and rarely take into account any positive traits of the character.

I've lost count of how many times, in this very thread, the Bowser matchup discussion is reduced to "lol he is combo food and can't land, therefore it's a good matchup for my character". Frankly, that's as insightful as saying "my character beats Mac, just backthrow him off the ledge": it's a very reductionist view that ignores the juncture of the character's pros and cons.

By that logic, every character beats Bowser, because anyone can juggle him and do Sakonoko-level combos on him for free. Rarely someone cares to mention how your character intends to play the neutral game against his solid pokes, how dangerous it is for your character to attempt SH approaches against his Pivot Grab and OoS Whirling Fortress, what your character is gonna do when he corners you and proceeds to frame-trap you with Jab1, what do you do when he has rage and you can't afford to trade against him etc.

Bowser's weaknesses are very outlined and impossible to minimize, but should also be measured with other elements: we're still talking about a character with good ground speed that can rack almost 30% of a single grab and can still confirm into 70-80% kills even after the nerf.
If you can easily capitalize off of his weaknesses better than he can capitalize off of yours, you beat Bowser. A comparison with Little Mac doesn't really apply because a Little Mac can just not approach like an idiot and dash attack on shield so they don't get back thrown, but Bowser cannot avoid getting hit very easily. But at the same time, there are characters who cannot capitalize off of Bowser's weaknesses better than he can their. Characters some of the other heavies, Zelda, Jigglypuff, low tiers basically, which is why I don't personally rate him very high. And the higher up you go on the tier list, the worse Bowser fares. For all his strengths, his weaknesses are very apparent. He isn't a bad character per se, but this is Smash 4, where pretty much every character is pretty decent at the very least. When your average is set so high, being a little below average isn't a bad thing.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Why ban stuff in a game that is being actively patched? It just doesn't make sense. Plus, the results aren't even there. I hate Bayo as much as any other guy but damn, keep it real.
The double edge sword of patches. They can solve stupid crap, but people become lazy and whiny as a result.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
The double edge sword of patches. They can solve stupid crap, but people become lazy and whiny as a result.
If people want something changed, they should whine about it. If Bayo is actually broken, people need to win using her, and scream about it.

sedrf

Smash Journeyman
VS | Master Raven ‏@VSMasterRaven 8h8 hours ago
Do people forget that players quit Brawl because of MK and the complaints of his ease of use? Their words re: his skill floor, not mine.
So I find it weird that people defend Brawl MK whenever he gets brought up in the Bayonetta arguments.
CONEY‏@coneyzz
.@VSMasterRaven distinctly remember top players ******** about losing to "bad" MKs, so they picked him up once they did: "I AM VRY SKILLED"
So from what I've seen this happened before. To be honest the community is in panic right now. The former queen of smash is lost somewhere between high and top tier. People have to not sleep on greninjas and mewtwos any more. I feel like this should apply to everybody pro or casual: wait for pound to make any assertions. If pink fresh or anyother bayo somehow makes an upset over a top player or hell wins pound. Then we can start looking into this ****. And besides you have much worse things to worry about.:4cloud2:

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
Do you have any specific examples?
Campy matches, Toon Link and Villager in particular. All either of them have to do is just camp them until ~120 then backthrow her at the ledge when she tries to approach. Because of how slow Bayonetta is she has no options to actually get in and no options to damage them from a distance. Lame, boring to watch, and not satisfying to do

Otterz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Otterz
So from what I've seen this happened before. To be honest the community is in panic right now. The former queen of smash is lost somewhere between high and top tier. People have to not sleep on greninjas and mewtwos any more. I feel like this should apply to everybody pro or casual: wait for pound to make any assertions. If pink fresh or anyother bayo somehow makes an upset over a top player or hell wins pound. Then we can start looking into this ****. And besides you have much worse things to worry about.:4cloud2:
Zero confirmed that he is not attending Pound which could really effect the results to be honest. Sadly, the community will probably just call whatever character wins Pound the best without much thought.

Unless its something crazy like Hyuga or something.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Super late edit: more work has been put into this since I made this post. The original point that 'rar thunder' wasn't real is still the case, but Pika mains figured out the alternative that allows the combo to work with pivots IIRC. Training mode 'combo' rants are still valid though.

Isn't the argument more like we got sick of 6+ months of people saying Pikachu is top 3 with ultimately abysmal results at all levels of play globally bar ESAM?
Instead of some of these Pikachu fans shifting from the fanatical towards sensibility, they've just gotten even more resounding in their insular rhetoric - "they're denying our truth" "well we need to embrace these lies TRUTHS EVEN HARDER AND BETTER AND FASTER AND STRONGER AND MORE RELENTLESSLY UNTIL EVERYONE BELIEVES US!!!!"

This doesn't bode well anywhere. However, tough love often works wonders... but that's only works on people who dislike having gaps in their knowledge or understanding. Hopefully with this, at least this annoying chapter may finally come to an end.

When we ask for proof, we get linked a training mode video.
(cue eye rolling from any knowledgeable smash player)
Or get told "well our discord BELIEVES THIS" - because such entities are absolutely authoritative.

Now I'm a huge fan of discords, because they can so easily be fantastic dens of misinformation and falsities ("zomg true combawz") that more knowledgeable smash players SHOULD be wary of poking a stick at. As is anywhere which cuts itself off from the outside world and doesn't consider reality or even REAL THEORY (seriously, people in this community give theory crafters a BAD name and I DESPISE THIS).

I'm a little late for this as the main conversation point, so hopefully you can bare with me,
it's time to write some Thank You Notes
Thank you, training mode for being INACCURATE,
Thus making way too many smash players base development on a lie, producing discourse which is practically worthless.
Training mode will be showing combos in situations in which the opponent is already free to air dodge for TEN to FIFTEEN+ FRAMES PRIOR.

Thank you, people who make media content based on training mode discoveries,
Such as the guy who made a video stating Marth from 1.1.4 due to the range increases has "GUARANTEEEEEED" down throw up/back air on many fast fallers (including heavies like falcon: we have a weight based throw fyi) in the cast at "ALL PERCENT" until it kills.
It took over 10,000+ views before anyone stated the reality: "you do realise training mode is bull **** right?" directly to the creator. This person just ignored us/denied the truth (similar to what we see here) while farming more youtube viewers (with it being referenced and unfortunately believed by the likes of ZeRo). We even got Lavani, Foxy and Zapp to confirm this was false; he stopped replying. Video is still up there and I get to see it linked still on a regular basis.
And that's the type of authority people listen to in discord groups~
I believe the same person released a GRENINJA DASH ATTACK COMBO video for 1.1.5 when there is literally no frame advantage difference between patches.
Thank you so much.

This stuff easily spreads around as truth and is not new to Smash4.
This is a significant factor to the general pragmatic standard of the community for prioritizing results over theory!

(because a majority of people SUCK at theory)

Thank you, Pikabunz, for being a Pikachu main and someone who works tirelessly to provide objective data for the community that helps so many,
thus showing further hope that a Pikachu supporter and being a reasonable thinker aren't mutually exclusive or statistical anomalies~ (zealotry exist everywhere, there just seems to be a lot in relation to Pika)
Your work provided an amazing reference for hit stun cancelling being in the game and that the ability to cancel hit stun with air dodges stalls at 40 frames for a significant period of time and should be COMMON KNOWLEDGE AT THIS POINT.

I've collected some data on using actions during hitstun. I tested this by using Pikachu's straight ftilt on another Pikachu at various percents. The number is the first frame you can use that action during knockback.

| 50% | 60% | 70% | 80% | 90% | 100% | 110% | 120% | 130% | 140% | 150%
Jump + Specials | 34 | 37 | 41 | 44 | 48 | 51 | 55 | 58 | 62 | 65 | 68
Aerials | 34 | 37 | 41 | 44 | 46 | 46 | 46 | 48 | 53 | 58 | 63
Air Dodge | 34 | 37 | 41 | 41 | 41 | 41 | 41 | 41 | 44 | 49 | 54
And thank you, A10thehero for having good taste in avatars,
your detailed and down-to-earth Pika insight are pleasant to read and show no abrasion, 5~ stars.
Even if I don't agree with many things, I hope you continue your hard work

---------

I've been receiving a great lecture on twitter from Meshima and DRAFIX about what research had been on hitstun values and got a pretty big spiel with lots of cool tidbits.
It's annoying I can't give a single link to show the entire conversation (grr), but I think I'll have to do a "Hit Stun in Smash 4" thread sometime soon to summarize it all.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CeO9i-MUIAA3cXw.jpg
a graph of values of hit stun for Captain Falcon's dair on Mario
blue line being specials/jumps, red being attacks and green being air dodges. Eventually they converge again to the same value at around 98 frames./ 245 knockback.

A tad bit later DRAFIX came along to provide a data sheet covering all else I needed to know to be comfortable with the rest here.
https://twitter.com/drafix570/status/712639896851079168

Now going by the verbal description from ESAM's video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAZJbMo4AmM
"if you jump too early after you hit down and back you'll just miss because you're not going to have the reduced momentum" (1m)
This is the critical part here that will likely prove fatal

And the literal input explanation (1m40s) "forward, and then down back, and then you run a little bit, then you jump thunder"

So time for some MATHS

Pikachu's up throw releases on frame 16 and it's duration is 35 frames.
This is giving Pikachu a -20 on his throw follow ups.

Now at 100% on Sheik, Pikachu's up throw knockback has not breached the 40 frame air dodge window yet.
At 130% on Sheik, the opponent will be suffering 45 frames of hit stun before they can air dodge.

So at that optimal percent range Pikachu will have between 20 to 25 frames to:
Dash for a varied amount of time but the minimum being the dash dance window [at least FIVE FRAMES]
Input a turn around [1 frame]
Wait for an indeterminate amount of time during your skid animation (?) [seemingly essential for the air mobility thing]
Start your jump [4 frames]
Start thunder and hit the opponent with the meteor cloud [13-15 frames]

Now, before we even consider dashing and waiting out your turn around skid
at 100% you have a 2 frame leeway to achieve those two things (i.e. impossible)
at 130% you have a 7 frame leeway to "" -
As from what I gather one must wait out the dash dance window to get the skid, this makes it so that it's impossible to be guaranteed at 100%. And at 130% one only has 2 frames to jump during the skid animation but you're still required to perfectly time a turn around after the initial dash dance window.
[Maybe +1 frame leeway as overlapping numbers and air dodges are coming out frame 2, etc]

However, raw hit stun will be 56-60~ frames, meaning that in training mode you're gaining SIXTEEN FRAMES extra leeway to have this register
As even ESAM can seemingly mess up an 18 frame leeway beyond perfect execution to get this to combo, it seems pretty unlikely that with the reality of how long before hand people can air dodge that this is even remotely feasible to be pulled off in tournament play, barely scraping by the theoretical window that exists for it.

"But Shaya, that just means that it's a 50/50 if you assume perfect execution which can even be failed with an extra quarter of a second by the best Pikachu in the world"
Well, yeah, you cannot expect people to react to Pikachu's 13 frame start up of thunder, but seeing as it's his only kill confirm and in a real tournament environment players can undoubtedly achieve 10-ish frame anticipation, this **** just isn't remotely real unless the opponent panics or has below average reaction.

-------

Now time and time again the whole Pikachu RAR thunder thing comes up, and all we hear is "it's guaranteed" over and over again... At the same time we frequently hear that their match up spread is amazing and that they're undoubtedly top tier...
Yet none of these pikachus are able to get themselves to a tournament and start building up a reputation that their players aren't delusional and actually have real things to worry about?.

So there it is
If you or anyone EVER bring up training mode as proof of things ever again, expect infractions.
YES IT WILL PROBABLY WORK ON WIFI; go to a tournament!

So does it suck that ESAM doesn't even know training mode isn't accurate?
Yes.
It sucks A LOT.

But hopefully we won't be putting the meta behind 6 months+ while people unknowingly or otherwise lie to players about character's abilities to the point at which we get to have this ****ty argument with Pikachus every other week.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Isn't the argument more like we got sick of 6+ months of people saying Pikachu is top 3 with ultimately abysmal results at all levels of play globally bar ESAM?
Instead of some of these Pikachu fans shifting from the fanatical towards sensibility, they've just gotten even more resounding in their insular rhetoric - "they're denying our truth" "well we need to embrace these lies TRUTHS EVEN HARDER AND BETTER AND FASTER AND STRONGER AND MORE RELENTLESSLY UNTIL EVERYONE BELIEVES US!!!!"

This doesn't bode well anywhere. However, tough love often works wonders... but that's only works on people who want have no gaps in their knowledge or understanding. Hopefully with this, at least this annoying chapter may finally come to an end.

Or get told "well our discord BELIEVES THIS" - because such entities are absolutely authoritative.

Now I'm a huge fan of discords, because they can so easily be fantastic dens of misinformation and falsities ("zomg true combawz") that more knowledgeable smash players SHOULD be wary of poking a stick at. As is anywhere which cuts itself off from the outside world and doesn't consider reality or even REAL THEORY (seriously, people in this community give theory crafters a BAD name and I DESPISE THIS).

I'm a little late for this as the main conversation point, so hopefully you can bare with me,

Thus making way too many smash players base development on a lie, producing discourse which is practically worthless.
Training mode will be showing combos in situations in which the opponent is already free to air dodge for TEN to FIFTEEN+ FRAMES PRIOR.

Such as the guy who made a video stating Marth from 1.1.4 due to the range increases has "GUARANTEEEEEED" down throw up/back air on many fast fallers (including heavies like falcon: we have a weight based throw fyi) in the cast at "ALL PERCENT" until it kills.
It took over 10,000+ views before anyone stated the reality: "you do realise training mode is bull **** right?" directly to the creator. This person just ignored us/denied the truth (similar to what we see here) while farming more youtube viewers (with it being referenced and unfortunately believed by the likes of ZeRo). We even got Lavani, Foxy and Zapp to confirm this was false; he stopped replying. Video is still up there and I get to see it linked still on a regular basis.
I believe the same person released a GRENINJA DASH ATTACK COMBO video for 1.1.5 when there is literally no frame advantage difference between patches.
Thank you so much.

This stuff easily spreads around as truth is not new to Smash4 and is a significant factor to the general pragmatic standard in the community of prioritizing results over theory!

Thank you, Pikabunz, for being a Pikachu main and someone who works tirelessly to provide objective data for the community that helps so many,
thus showing further hope that a Pikachu supporter and being a reasonable thinker aren't mutually exclusive or statistical anomalies~ (zealotry exist everywhere, there just seems to be a lot in relation to Pika)
Your work provided an amazing reference for hit stun cancelling being in the game and that the ability to cancel hit stun with air dodges stalls at 40 frames for a significant period of time and should be COMMON KNOWLEDGE AT THIS POINT.

your detailed and down-to-earth Pika insight are pleasant to read and show no abrasion, 5~ stars.

---------

I've been receiving a great lecture on twitter from Meshima and DRAFIX about what research had been on hitstun values and got a pretty big spiel with lots of cool tidbits.
It's annoying I can't give a single link to show the entire conversation (grr), but I think I'll have to do a "Hit Stun in Smash 4" thread sometime soon to summarize it all.

blue line being specials/jumps, red being attacks and green being air dodges. Eventually they converge again to the same value at around 98 frames./ 245 knockback.

A tad bit later DRAFIX came along to provide a data sheet covering all else I needed to know to be comfortable with the rest here.

Now going by the verbal description from ESAM's video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAZJbMo4AmM
"if you jump too early after you hit down and back you'll just miss because you're not going to have the reduced momentum" (1m)

And the literal input explanation (1m40s) "forward, and then down back, and then you run a little bit, then you jump thunder"

So time for some MATHS

Now at 100% on Sheik, Pikachu's up throw knockback has not breached the 40 frame air dodge window yet.
At 130% on Sheik, the opponent will be suffering 45 frames of hit stun before they can air dodge.

Dash for a varied amount of time but the minimum being the dash dance window [at least FIVE FRAMES]
Wait for an indeterminate amount of time during your skid animation (?) [seemingly essential for the air mobility thing]

As from what I gather one must wait out the dash dance window to get the skid, this makes it so that it's impossible to be guaranteed at 100%. And at 130% one only has 2 frames to jump during the skid animation but you're still required to perfectly time a turn around after the initial dash dance window.
[Maybe +1 frame leeway as overlapping numbers and air dodges are coming out frame 2, etc]

However, raw hit stun will be 56-60~ frames, meaning that in training mode you're gaining SIXTEEN FRAMES extra leeway to have this register
As even ESAM can seemingly mess up an 18 frame leeway beyond perfect execution to get this to combo, it seems pretty unlikely that with the reality of how long before hand people can air dodge that this is even remotely feasible to be pulled off in tournament play, barely scraping by the theoretical window that exists for it.

"But Shaya, that just means that it's a 50/50 if you assume perfect execution which can even be failed with an extra quarter of a second by the best Pikachu in the world"
Well, yeah, you cannot expect people to react to Pikachu's 13 frame start up of thunder, but seeing as it's his only kill confirm and in a real tournament environment players can undoubtedly achieve 10-ish frame anticipation, this **** just isn't remotely real unless the opponent panics or has below average reaction.

-------

Now time and time again the whole Pikachu RAR thunder thing comes up, and all we hear is "it's guaranteed" over and over again... At the same time we frequently hear that their match up spread is amazing and that they're undoubtedly top tier...
Yet none of these pikachus are able to get themselves to a tournament and start building up a reputation that their players aren't delusional and actually have real things to worry about?.

So there it is
If you or anyone EVER bring up training mode as proof of things ever again, expect infractions.

Yes.
It sucks A LOT.

But hopefully we won't be putting the meta behind 6 months+ while people unknowingly or otherwise lie to players about character's abilities to the point at which we get to have this ****ty argument with Pikachu's every other week.
Holy **** Shaya. Wow.

That said this training mode part is something even I didn't know which is something I am interested in knowing about. Same with the reactions to stuff with airdodge.

D

Deleted member 269706

Might be worth looking into the Fox/Bayo MU now that she can't spam Witch Time against him.
Far from an expert on the Fox/Bayo MU but I have a little experience. Pretty sure it's still in her favor due to how light Fox is and how early Bayo can kill. Got killed by her dair (landing hit) at 70% on the edge of the stage (she had around 130-140% rage). My buddy who plays Bayo says that Fox can be difficult to combo with the proper DI since he falls so fast but I've also heard the opposite so I'm not sure. Though she can still WT nair and bair which are major pieces of Fox's toolkit. Her frame 1 airdodge makes utilt > uair very difficult to pull off. She can also force Fox to play defensively which he isn't the best at; he's a very offensive character and shutting that down hurts him a lot. Like I said, I'm no expert on this stuff and have a lot more experimentation to do. Fox still has particular advantages but overall, at least how I see it, Bayo has a minor advantage.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I say if you can't stand the characters in this game, go play another one. Street FIghter (In) Alpha V doesn't really have any "jank" and there's Tekken 7 around the corner.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I say if you can't stand the characters in this game, go play another one. Street FIghter (In) Alpha V doesn't really have any "jank" and there's Tekken 7 around the corner.
You could always play BlazeBlue!

Honestly though this is all way too early, I still am baffled by this, "Let's ban Bayonetta"

I literally don't know where this came from and why, over one weekend I just see twitter explode mid week with people wanting her banned because a few players started placing a little higher and playing against her optimally requires you to play slower than normal.

RedBeefBaron

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redbeefbaron
Smh at some of these comments. What major tournaments have ended with Bayonetta mirrors in grand finals since she came out? Any at all?

I'm guessing no. Good players who are willing to play patient defense and punish her landings don't have any more trouble with her than the rest of the top tier. The only op thing she had was witch time and it just got ripped to shreds along with a bunch of damage and KB nerfs for good measure.

Maybe it's because I main Diddy Kong who feels like he wins against her by just camping sheild and moving around a lot with a peel in hand but I'm really not seeing how she's so much better than several top characters, or even obviously better at all.

Sheik still has oppressive frame data up close and the needle nerf won't really be noticeable in most matchups. It's still a fantastic projectile that chokes out options, along with the crazy mobility and safety that ties the kit together. She probably still beats Cloud, Bayonetta and many others just because of those strengths, 50-50 or no.

Zss has a very similar game plan to Bayonetta with a better disadvantage and comparable neutral and reward in advantage. I'm not sure why Bayonetta is being so demonized when zss had been abusing people for a while now using similar tactics. I'd personally rather fight Bayonetta than Zss.

Rosalina is as absurdly good as ever and her meta has a lot of room to grow with the top tier nerfs. If Cloud and MK didn't exist she'd be running rampant. Beats Diddy, wrecks most lower characters and has less of an issue with Sheik and Zss now too.

Meta Knight clearly isn't out of the picture either as Tyrant has shown and I expect the Meta Knight to continue to be a big threat as time goes on. The fair buff is sweet despite the loss of the low risk touch of death off of a dash attack but that was honestly dumb. His damage output and kill setups are still strong and his threat at advantage in general is still very scary, especially off stage.

Diddy Kong is just belligerently anti meta at this point and is in a much better spot than people seem to realize since the patch. Likely beats mk, bayo, and maybe zss while having an easier time against Sheik now too. I think defensive Diddy has a chance of beating post patch Cloud since Cloud needs to win nuetral more than once or twice to be at kill percent now but I'm not ready to call that quite yet.

Mario, Greninja, Pikachu, Fox and others have a much better shot at winning big with the top tier nerfs as well. And then there's Cloud, who I'm not really sure about. I don't think many people are playing the matchup right at the very least.

This narrative where bayo is a brain-dead win button in a tier of her own is just scrub fiction. The top level meta has more depth than it ever has to the point where it's likely that an S tier doesn't exist at all anymore. We currently have a shockingly well balanced top tier where the best characters in the game check each other in a way that no character is obviously #1 or has 0 bad matchups.

Which is remarkable. That's pretty much never happened in the history of smash. Not only do people need to stop ********, daddy Sakurai the balance team should be applauded.

All that's left is to help out a few terrible characters and I have a feeling that will happen eventually. Smash 4 is gonna be amazing.

Last edited:

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
In the long run, I'm more concerned about :4cloud: just because his pick up and play reward is hilariously skewed compared to the rest of the cast.
Bayonetta wins against Cloud, thats not news, but I wonder if Cloud might take the #1 spot just due his ubiquitous nature. Bayonetta is better, but she takes at least a day to stop SDing with her, and another to memorize some Youtube death-combo montage. Cloud takes 5 minutes to understand.
Bayo might lose to :4diddy: out of all the top tier. Witch Time is horror and a special grab is of outmost importance. That plus banana, and excellent CQC makes me think she might lose that.
People on Twitter mentioned that she might lose to :rosalina: but I don't but it just yet. They mention Luma as a combo breaker, which is true - but Bayonetta also has Dive Kick against Luma, which it cannot shield. I believe Bayonetta wins that matchup solely due to that fact.

Other than that I don't think she outright loses to anyone. Shorter spammy character might be even.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
If we had a flood of Bayonettas doing absurdly well at the regional or national level, I'd agree that steps to ban her might be suitable. E.g., if she took up 5/6 spots in Top 8s, if most GFs were mirrors, etc. But... she's not. She's doing moderately well, as well if not slightly better than any other high-tier/top-tier post-1.1.5 haze candidate.

If we walk away from supermajors with Bayonetta dominating the high-level brackets (CEO, EVO, etc) then we can start talking about taking serious action but there's no point in going into a frenzy over this when there's no current indication that Bayonetta is taking over the game.

I don't know what caused the sudden Bayohate train to start up again but people need to chill out.

Pancracio17

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pancracio17
I mean besides what others have said, the masses want bayonetta banned because she is a scrub destroyer, she can absolutly wreck anyone that doesbt know the MU and has fundamentals without breaking a sweat. Thats whats getting the masses riled up, the masses are mostly low-mid level players where she just dominates.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Yo so I was watching Bayo dittos happening on Shockwave and sometimes when one would combo the other they could sometimes Bat Within out of the combo. Airdodge Bat Within is frame 1, yeah? I know Puff was discussed earlier, but how awful is the matchup for Little Mac? Not tall/low profile dash for Bullet Climax, frame 1 invincible up B for messing up combos, excellent "GET STUFFED" buttons? Obviously disadvantage is the usual Little Mac trash, but it was just a thought that occurred to me.

What are the other quick, invincible/super armor options? (Dr.) Mario Up B is frame 3 invincible I think, along with Zard's Down B having frame 3 super armor?

Hmmm...on the other hand if what I saw was just the airdodging to cancel hitstun stuff kicking in then I guess this is moot. I dunno, food for thought I guess.

arbustopachon

Smash Journeyman
Zard's down b armor is frame 5. His up b has frame 4 armor. i doubt you can break bayo combos with either of them.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Yo so I was watching Bayo dittos happening on Shockwave and sometimes when one would combo the other they could sometimes Bat Within out of the combo. Airdodge Bat Within is frame 1, yeah? I know Puff was discussed earlier, but how awful is the matchup for Little Mac? Not tall/low profile dash for Bullet Climax, frame 1 invincible up B for messing up combos, excellent "GET STUFFED" buttons? Obviously disadvantage is the usual Little Mac trash, but it was just a thought that occurred to me.

What are the other quick, invincible/super armor options? (Dr.) Mario Up B is frame 3 invincible I think, along with Zard's Down B having frame 3 super armor?

Hmmm...on the other hand if what I saw was just the airdodging to cancel hitstun stuff kicking in then I guess this is moot. I dunno, food for thought I guess.
Frame 1 airdodge that warps you under your opponent is much safer to mash out than going helpless or falling asleep for 4 seconds, even if the reward is potentially killing bayonetta.

Also WF at shockwave is going to be Greninja/Lucario vs Bayonetta so this should be interesting to see.

Bayonetta and Cloud are both very easy and forgiving most of the time. But if you look at what M2K/Tweek can do with the character next to other random Clouds, its clear there is still more beyond the basics for Cloud.

juddy96

Smash Lord
An extremely stacked version of WNF is starting soon. Notables: VoiD, Tyrant, K9sbruce, Nicko, Aphro, Zenyou, ImHip, Elegant, TLTC, Tearbear, Angbad, SM, and more.

sedrf

Smash Journeyman
Seeing shockwave.

Do:4lucario: and to a lesser extent :4mewtwo: do well against :4bayonetta:?

man pikachu seems really ****ty

Last edited by a moderator:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
He's super overhyped.

Like I get it if people see potential in him but without ESAM he has nothing for results. In constrast you could point to Melee in how Hungrybox is the only Jigglypuff that places.

Still if people are claiming Pikachu is top 3 that is a load of bull, he needs way better results to even consider that.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Seeing shockwave.

Do:4lucario: and to a lesser extent :4mewtwo: do well against :4bayonetta:?
No.

It's like sheik, they scare her when she can't kill them but she has the tools to avoid losing to them. They're also hard charcters to fight in general without decent MU experience. (Or in mewtwo's case not knowing what he can do now)

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
Why I love this patch even with the Meta Knight nerf:

"Keeping it 100: This characters done, one minute yall were going nuts over tyrant beating a nerfed Sheik. But he just got his ass blasted by Ike and Mario, he then went Diddy and did better by a huge margin. Also wanna note, Sheik players are still adjusting to the nerfs, Tyrant is playing the same character the nerfs didn't phase his playstyle so the wins vs Sheik aren't really impressive at all. Sheik is butchered MK is not just clearly worse than before, if anything MK got hit harder than Sheik his normal tools just aren't good enough. Gasp!

"Maybe yall can be more realistic instead of doing fake ass training mode combos and optimistic knee-jerk theorycraft about him being a top tier(lul). Leo has a pocket Cloud and i bet he'll use the TOP TIER 95% of the tournament this weekend, Ito also isn't stupid enough to go solo MK others will follow or drop him which is also not a bad idea(lol at calling people who dropped a nerfed character frauds or some other insult grow up). Enjoy this not top tier, not solo main viable character boys. ⊙ω⊙ "

^ These bandwagoners are dying off. Soon only the honest MK mains who actually understood the character will remain. You know, the people who have put in the time and effort to realize he actual has moves other than his up aerial? Is MK worse? Yes, but I find it hilarious that some people are saying he's worse than :4luigi:.

Such overwhelming pessimism gives me such joy. :laugh:

Re: Pika discussion. About training mode, not only does it not account for the ability to negate hitstun with an air dodge, it also doesn't take the start-up of the air dodge into account, which makes it unclear what low% combos are guaranteed. Eg, MK's down throw -> dash attack is guaranteed against certain DI, but it doesn't register because the dash attack connects right as hitstun ends.

Whenever I hear "I did it in training mode," all I can do is raise an eyebrow.

And I never thought ESAM would be wrong about that many things...but considering how he overrates Pikachu, maybe I should've expected that?

Last edited:

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero

This doesn't bode well anywhere. However, tough love often works wonders... but that's only works on people who dislike having gaps in their knowledge or understanding. Hopefully with this, at least this annoying chapter may finally come to an end.

Thank you so much.

This is a significant factor to the general pragmatic standard of the community for prioritizing results over theory!

First of all, I am honored by your compliments. Thank you very much. I share a respect for you (and your avatar) as well. :)

---------

So time for some MATHS

-------

So there it is

Yes.
It sucks A LOT.

But hopefully we won't be putting the meta behind 6 months+ while people unknowingly or otherwise lie to players about character's abilities to the point at which we get to have this ****ty argument with Pikachus every other week.
I can't really say much for ESAM other than:
Remember this video?
Guess who's tweet was at the end saying that Training Mode combos aren't real? Make what you will of that, lol.

Anyways, I've known that the combo indicator in Training Mode can lie. That's why whenever I've done testing for Up Throw to RAR Thunder it's either been with a real person who actually knows how to airdodge or with a turbo controller that has shield assigned to A and a rubber band on it.

If anyone noticed in this gif I posted before, the Sheik was repeatedly shielding (and thus also repeatedly inputting an air dodge in the air). This was the turbo function at work.

Anyways, I have a small correction to make to your calculations. Although it's called a RAR Thunder, you're not actually supposed to input a turnaround on the ground. The inputs after the up throw are:
:GCR: (follow the DI) --> :GCX: (jump) + :GCDL: + :GCB: (downback Thunder)
It's called a RAR Thunder because when it was first "discovered", the combo initially included a RAR. A more accurate name would be Up Throw to Downback Jump Thunder. You can probably see why that name didn't stick.

giphy-(3).gif
I tried to slow down the previously mentioned gif to show the lack of a turnaround input and skidding on the ground.

So today, for quite a bit of time, I was performing this combo and analyzing how many frames it took to complete. The time from after the up throw to the initial appearance of the Thunder cloud was always between 12-18 frames for me. (The equipment I used for recording and frame counting ran at 30 fps so my results were actually in the 6-9 range).

These results actually still agree with you. This was the time it took me to do the combo when I knew the DI. About a month ago, I had found that the average reaction time to a visual stimulus was 300 ms at worst. Based on that (and some math), I came to the conclusion that you could react to the DI. However, after a lot more research in this, I am at least 95% certain the experiment for getting this number simply involved pushing a button or some other single-action response. Up Throw to RAR Thunder is not a single action. Thus, calling it reactable was a mistake on my part, for which I apologize. Only someone who has an amazing reaction time (or is in need of a drug test) could react to the DI.

Thus, Up Throw to RAR Thunder right now is just a 33-33-33 DI read. In the Pika boards, I've been told that you can cover two paths of travel at once (DI away and no DI or DI behind and no DI) for every character in the cast, but since I haven't tested this out myself, I cannot verify this. However, assuming that this is true, Up Throw to Thunder would be at best, a 50-50 DI read. It'd be like an easier to mess up version of prepatch Sheik's Down Throw 50-50 (the resemblance to Sheik is uncanny, lol).

Like I said before, the future of Pikachu is uncertain. Given this information though, it doesn't seem to be in favor of Pikachu, similar to the Mario matchup or maybe even worse. But my loyalty to the rat prevents me from being pessimistic or disappointed. There's still a lot for me to explore and optimize, and I'll still try to push Pikachu's meta as far as I can.

I think you guys are tired of hearing all this Pika talk so if there's anything left to say or if you have any questions, it'd probably be better to either PM me or talk in the Pika boards.

That's all I have to say. Thanks for reading! :)
*once more tips hat and flies off to the moon*

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Well, as a further aside and quirk of hit stun - if you weren't aware (I had experienced this before but I didn't know the science until yesterday), inputting shield before the air dodge window stunts your aerial movement/control while you're in hit stun.
Which diminishes the effects of DI, thus making the combo seem more real as well and obviously decreases how many frames one needs to dash.

Another reason for things seeming a lot more real than they are!

https://twitter.com/LettuceUdon/status/712622230287425536

However it not being necessary to rar jump / wait during the skid before jumping does add a bit more feasibility to it being possible.
The specific order of instructions in that video weren't right then either~

Last edited:

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Going to war right now!

https://twitter.com/JohnNumbers/status/712995724473069568

Edit: Hmm... how do I make a Tweet appear visibly on a post?

Thank you so much.

---------

So time for some MATHS

-------

So there it is

Yes.
It sucks A LOT.

Also, this entire post is amazing. I knew a good deal of this already, but there was stuff in there I didn't know, plus a whole load of intel in general that has a severe publicity issue.

So... nice work leading the charge there.

Last edited:

Nexus Nova

Smash Rookie
People on Twitter mentioned that she might lose to :rosalina: but I don't but it just yet. They mention Luma as a combo breaker, which is true - but Bayonetta also has Dive Kick against Luma, which it cannot shield. I believe Bayonetta wins that matchup solely due to that fact.
Is one move really enough to make this a bad matchup for Rosalina?

Even with other bad Rosalina match-ups like Cloud, Sheik and Zero Suit Samus they still have more than one type of attack to give her the disadvantage.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Luma largely negating bayo's combos, witch time, divekicks, and taking advantage of her general propensity for being a big light body often in the air with issues getting in/landing means if Rosa of all characters doesn't win that matchup then I doubt anyone does.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Ok, as a Pikachu main I would love to listen what keeps Pikachu from being top tier? I mean, he can seal stocks way easier than the likes of Sheik (now), Mario, MK, and Sonic with attacks like usmash, fsmash, uthrow/dthrow thunder,offstage gimps etc..., and he has a lot of combos to deal damaga quickly, he has great neutral tools in sh fair, dair, quick attack, when in a good distance tjolt, full hop nair etc...

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Ok, as a Pikachu main I would love to listen what keeps Pikachu from being top tier? I mean, he can seal stocks way easier than the likes of Sheik (now), Mario, MK, and Sonic with attacks like usmash, fsmash, uthrow/dthrow thunder,offstage gimps etc..., and he has a lot of combos to deal damaga quickly, he has great neutral tools in sh fair, dair, quick attack, when in a good distance tjolt, full hop nair etc...
Gonna call hard BS on Pika closing off stocks better than MK. Dash attack to upb still kills most fighters around the 80-90% mark, earlier with rage. (not to mention MK having basically the best killing back air in the game)

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Gonna call hard BS on Pika closing off stocks better than MK. Dash attack to upb still kills most fighters around the 80-90% mark, earlier with rage. (not to mention MK having basically the best killing back air in the game)
Pikachu has a 33.33% to kill from a grab but you are right and I didnt know about that da>upb thing so I guess MK can seal stocks easier than Pikachu

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
The top tier in this game have dominant states of gameplay, and generally none of their states are outright bad. Cloud's bonkers neutral, Bayo's everything, Diddy's neutral, etc. Pikachu is pretty average in all three. I think that's a big factor keeping him out of top tier. He might be high tier, probably is. Nothing bad about that at all.
Comparing him to Sheik is pointless, since it's debatable she isn't top tier anymore, but she still has better neutral and disadvantage than Pikachu.

Honestly, trying to convince people how good your character is by just listing their positive traits is dumb. It actually means nothing because you can make any character sound good by listing their positive qualities.

Dedede is definitely top 20. The king's got it all; disjoint, power, recovery, and damaging throw combos. He is the hardest character in the game to kill vertically, and with the safest and strongest ways to kill being traditionally vertical, that's huge. His presence at the ledge is not to be ignored, as with clever Gordo setups, he can cover most if not all ledge options with a potentially deadly hitbox. He might be combo food, but he wants all that rage so he can kill with his safe and powerful back air even earlier than usual. A solid contender for high tier.

See what I mean?

BunbUn129

Smash Ace

Why Pikachu isn't top tier: while he can rack up damage, this often backfires because his opponents get heavy rage, which ****s Pikachu over because of his weight and poor KO'ing power. Pikachu's only KO "set-up" is easy to avoid, and he lacks safe KO'ing moves to make up for this. In this regard, let's compare Pikachu to some of the top tiers in KOing ability:

:4sheik:: even with the loss of the 50-50, tipper down tilt sets up an up aerial nicely at KO percents (Void is already using this). F tilt to up air has always been a thing as well. BF is great for air dodge punishes.

:4fox:: dair/nair to usmash. Bair is safe in neutral, and uair is relatively easy to land.

:4diddy:: banana/ d tilt set-ups into smash attacks.

:4metaknight:: dash attack into SL. F smash is safe. Uair combos into SL. Ladder can still work under the right conditions.

:4mario:: usmash is safe. Back throw for kills.

:4zss:: ladder still works. Bair is safe. Uair is strong and easy to land (question: is back throw a kill throw after the buff?)

:4cloud2:: the whole LB mechanic (let's not get started on cross slash).

:4bayonetta:: ladders, WT, bair is safe.

:4ryu:: utilt/dtilt to Shoryuken.

Do you see a pattern here? For the most part, all these characters either have reliable KO confirms (:4diddy::4ryu: and to an extent :4sheik:), safe KO moves (:4mario:), or both (:4bayonetta::4metaknight::4fox::4zss:).

What does Pikachu have? U throw thunder is the closest thing he has that comes to a confirm, and even that's easy to mess up (when your top rep can't land it consistently, you have a problem). At the same time, he has no safe KO moves that can truly threaten someone in neutral. The fact that ESAM has to often rely on reads should say something.

Pikachu can edge-guard, yes, but a character simply can't count on edge-guarding when you have the likes of :4bayonetta::4metaknight::4zss::4sheik: running around. And then those 4 can edge-guard just as effectively, if not more, than Pikachu himself.

There are other reasons that prevent Pikachu from being top-tier, but KOing ability is the main thing. Particularly in Sm4sh, lacking both safe KO moves and KO set-ups is a huge disadvantage in a game with rage and the inability to secure stocks with edge-hogging.

Last edited:

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
i'm gonna call bs on :4pikachu: even sealing out stocks easier than :4sonic:. has 3 stock cap throws that kill at around 160%(earlier with rage), has (guaranteed!) kill confirms out of spindash starting at roughly 120% at the edge of the stage with bair and 140% off the top with uair/nair and an incredible :4metaknight:-esque fsmash. :4pikachu: sorta has to fish with an unsafe usmash/fsmash or get a 33/33/33 with uthrow to kill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom