• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3rd Party "Legendaries" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Let me tell a gaming legend:

Sonic was the mascot for a rival to Nintendo during the 16 bit era that now has stopped making systems. But there was a third system beyond the Sega Genesis and the SNES.

There was the TurboGrafx 16. It had a different Japanese game.

Does Nintendo respect this system? Enough it got virtual consol-ized.

And like Sonic to Sega and Mario to Nintendo, they had their own mascot.

Bonk.

A caveman named Bonk. He head butted dinosaurs, became an invincible rage beast who's headbutts turned dinosaurs to stone by eating meat, and climbed rock faces with his teeth.

And he also travelled into the future and became a superhero known as Airzonk, but that's a different legend.

The last planned new Bonk game was supposed to be on 3ds. Sadly this was cancelled. A tale similar to another legend known as Bomberman.

I'd love to see him.
I recall some Bonk support in the pre-Brawl days. I like the little guy, but he seems mostly lost to gaming history.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Iconic Non-Nintendo Character With Popular Video Games

Sonic
Snake
Megaman
Pacman
Professor Layton
Bomberman
Simon Belmont
Bayonetta
Slime
Black Mage
Cloud
Sora
Mickey Mouse
Goku
Shrek
Wreck It Ralph
Elsa
Lloyd Irving
Darth Vader
Master Chief
Banjo Kaooie
Lara Croft
Phoenix Wright
Ryu
John Madden
Ryu Hayabusa
Spyro
Crash Banidcoot
Rayman
Maxwell
Naruto
Kratos
Batman
Superman
Spiderman
Hulk
Captain America
Thor
Iron Man
Chell
Gordan Freeman
Sim
Shantae
Geno
Dig Dug Guy
Klonoa
Wonder Red?

I tried to limit one per franchise. Still a long list. Did I miss anybody? :troll: Add comments on each person/bear/puppet/thing/robot/hedgehog/orge/mouse/whatever

Last edited:

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
Iconic Non-Nintendo Character With Popular Video Games

Sonic
Snake
Megaman
Pacman
Professor Layton
Bomberman
Simon Belmont
Bayonetta
Slime
Black Mage
Cloud
Sora
Mickey Mouse
Goku
Shrek
Wreck It Ralph
Elsa
Lloyd Irving
Darth Vader
Master Chief
Banjo Kaooie
Lara Croft
Phoenix Wright
Ryu
John Madden
Ryu Hayabusa
Spyro
Crash Banidcoot
Rayman
Maxwell
Naruto
Kratos
Batman
Superman
Spiderman
Hulk
Captain America
Thor
Iron Man
Chell
Gordan Freeman
Sim
Shantae
Geno
Dig Dug Guy
Klonoa
Wonder Red?

I tried to limit one per franchise. Still a long list. Did I miss anybody? :troll: Add comments on each person/bear/puppet/thing/robot/hedgehog/orge/mouse/whatever
Bugs Bunny.

Dropkick JD

Unexpected Smash God
-Rockstar
Trevor Phillips

"What did he do for Nintendo?" Why, I'm glad you ask.

Do you remember in different Mario Party games where bomb ombs would be thrown at you? Well, that was Trevor throwing them of course. Or, how about when the random lines of fire would spiral around in Bowser's castle? That was Trevor who lit those lines on fire.

Hell, even outside of Nintendo. Do you know who tricked Pac-Man into going in the maze? How about who stuck the shoes on Sonic?

no i'm not being serious for the love of God, I just want to bring up one of my favorite characters in recent gaming times that made my top 5 characters of all time list.

Basically, Trevor has done a lot of things for Nintendo. So, obviously. Trevor is THE legendary character.

Last edited:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Nintendo "Legendary" third party characters:

Sonic
Mega Man
Bomberman
Simon Belmont
Black Mage
Chocobo
Slime
Layton
Pac-Man

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
People who are mentioning Disney characters are insane. Kingdom Hearts and Epic Mickey is no excuse. Disney characters would literally destroy the Smash Bros atmosphere along with the series. I like the Duck Tales theme song but a Duck Tales themed stage would be incredibly strange and out of place.

Sadly. Crash and Spyro would damage the Smash Bros atmosphere but they would blend in after awhile. Spyro 3 Year of The Dragon is a very colorful game. Spyro's stage example would be Sunrise Spring and it would honestly blend in with the rest of the stages.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
People who are mentioning Disney characters are insane. Kingdom Hearts and Epic Mickey is no excuse. Disney characters would literally destroy the Smash Bros atmosphere along with the series. I like the Duck Tales theme song but a Duck Tales themed stage would be incredibly strange and out of place.
Thats why crossovers are so awesome :snake:

Anyone for a goku vs donald match?... no body?

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I'm down. The last time Donald fought people in Japan he came back with awful PTSD though. (Look up Donald's PTSD, it's disturbingly accurate).

And Kingdom Hearts and Epic Mickey are totally good excuses. As is the 'Of Illusion' series, Maui Mallad, the Ducktales video game, Chip N Dale's Rescue Rangers video game, the latter two both early cap com classics. Or the Aladdin and Lion King games. I mean, there are definitely some missteps, but Disney's got a better chance of putting out a good game than the Sonic series…. and I like the Sonic series. It gets mentioned because the company's video game history has made for many of people's favorite video games and are clearly legendary, in every country Smash Brothers can come out.

And does any Disney character really look any more cartoony or off theme than a pokemon? Once again, I love pokemon, but Mickey doesn't look any more silly or out of place than Jigglypuff. And the fact is they have to be able to come to some deals with Nintendo cause Bowser appeared in Wreck it Ralph and Disney characters have appeared on every Nintendo console save Virtual Boy. Ever.

Man that NES rescue rangers game was great. Extreme pvp and whatnot.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I think the third party lineup we've seen in Smash are pretty well-deserved to be there. Sonic, Mega Man, Solid Snake. Then there are a token couple of the early Japanese game developers left for there to choose from, most notably Square Enix and Bandai Namco. Some other prominent studios could be Tecmo Koei, Level-5, and even Platnium (they seem to be the rising stars. Like a potential next-gen Capcom.) All of which have a strong relationship with Nintendo and have the rights to some of the greatest games and franchises from the gamer to the everyman.

Although, I would be concerned about tiering "legendary" characters and their priority over characters deemed "iconic". A drop in the status attributed to the current guest lineup is convincing and will likely reach by the next few installments (from that point we'll have seen a plethora of new games, characters, and industry developments.) It just seems unfair to rank the likes of many qualified 3rd parties from what I see as a cocktail of nostalgia, relevancy, sales, pioneersmanship, etc. I'd argue if Solid Snake is even a legend. Because if we're talking about Sonic or Pac-Man levels of recognizablity, I would have heard about MGS pre-Brawl. Yes, I say that sincerely. Not to say I don't like Solid Snake and he's always stood out amongst many other video game mascots. But what does it say for other characters? The majority of 3rd parties I frequently see being supported can get in on their own merits. Just as long as Sakurai's standards deem them so. He is a very picky man.

Anyways, you know who I would love to see? NiGHTS. Another classic gaming icon that shines out past the uncertainty of the Sega Dreamcast days. I can imagine the wealth of material you could incorporate into a unique moveset. Hell, NiGHTS into Dreams just feels great to control. I can't think of another game of its genre! If only it caught on, NiGHTS could have pioneered a genre, as loose as one may ascribe an action-adventure label to it (which I think doesn't describe the gameplay well enough.) Sonic can't necessarily claim that easily. To curry the favor to Nintendo even more, the sequel was a Wii exclusive along with cameos wrought over from the Sega All-Stars and Sonic series. Although, I'm not sure if NiGHTS stands as much of a chance within its own company and other competitors. I mean, we already got Sonic twice!

Jack Frost from Shin Megami Tensei is very much deserving as well. He could have came in from how prosperous the Shin Megami Tensei series and its spinoffs are. But due to financial issues with Atlus, they are now shrouded under Sega's wings. It's ultimately for the better though, as Sega has been giving Atlus a great treatment even to the West mainly due to Persona.

Either way, NiGHTS and Jack Frost are definitely iconic enough to stand a chance. But really, what do you think about them? We don't want to clutter up the sega representation now, do we?

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
So there are a lot of gaming legends out there. And upon checking which franchise dead company THQ had to their name I came by one I was shocked made it to Nintendo consoles (more than one, and as recent as the DS), but I was glad she did and I attest if she was playable would only offend people who hate learning.

She came to mind as a rocking tune sung in a cappella blasted through my head, but I couldn't figure out where in the world she could be. She's a sticky fingered filcher from Berlin down to Belize.

So tell me:
Where in Smash is Carmen Sandiego?

Yeah, she's a child's character and will not be liked by many, but I'd say iconic and legendary. And I say those people hate the idea of kids learning from the fact that I imagine her theme music would still be Rockapella's track of geography.

On a more likely note:

Anyone other than me think Lucasarts would totally be fine giving the entry of the main guy from Zombies Ate my Neighbors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom