• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3rd party controllers question

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Does anyone have experience with these cheap things? I'm hoping I don't have to buy one to find out (even though it's less than $10, or $20 for 4 of them), as I don't even know anyone who'd want one even as a free gift lol.

I am curious if the springs from 3rd party controllers are close enough in size to be switched into an official controller.

I'm hoping they are weaker or less springy than official springs because I'm developing a pain in my right index finger when I play smash for a few hours straight. If I play for 3 hours I feel the need to take the next day off to play it safe.

I have a feeling this may be the only part that could be interchanged between 3rd party and official Nintendo controllers. Anyone know?

Little ShOcKeR

Smash Cadet
Does anyone have experience with these cheap things? I'm hoping I don't have to buy one to find out (even though it's less than $10, or $20 for 4 of them), as I don't even know anyone who'd want one even as a free gift lol.

I am curious if the springs from 3rd party controllers are close enough in size to be switched into an official controller.

I'm hoping they are weaker or less springy than official springs because I'm developing a pain in my right index finger when I play smash for a few hours straight. If I play for 3 hours I feel the need to take the next day off to play it safe.

I have a feeling this may be the only part that could be interchanged between 3rd party and official Nintendo controllers. Anyone know?

Hello! So I cant exactly give you an answer on the controller spring, but, I did use one when I started playing melee a few years ago. EVERYTHING about the controller sucked, they are less springy (I think) in fact everything used on them seem to be way to weak and end up breaking after a few months.

Now regarding your hands it sounds like you just need to take more breaks when you play. My brother has said that PPMD (or Fiction, I can't remember) has hinted that it's best to play your soul out for how long a tournament set is. So instead of playing for hours play for a few minutes of a training routine, then take a break, then play for the length of a tournament set, and while your playing play as focused as you can. So the reason I'm saying this is so that you can be easier on your hands, and that you can get better practice than play for just 3 hours. You may already do something like this, I'm not sure. But if not I hope it helps your play and your hands.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I agree, I just try to get in as many games as possible in the allotted time I get with local high level players. I'm fully aware breaks are needed.

And yeah, 3rd party controllers are trash. Just curious about the springs.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
3rd party controllers

I have a very cheap, unlabeled 3rd party controller I got from China over Ebay for $10 about a two years ago (don't ask why, I didn't suspect anything, I was saving for a car). My advice is to never EVER get or use spare parts from a 3rd party controller. The buttons only respond (sometimes) if you mash them down, the sticks are unresponsive and bad, you can only press down half of the Z button (there seems to be something underneath the button obstructing the other side), and the triggers feel disgusting. I can't tell you if the springs are good or not because the shoulder buttons stick so badly, but if the rest of the controller is any indication, the springs are of a very low build quality and should never be used in a controller you want to keep more than half a year.

Top Bottom