• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3LT - Baton Rouge, LA, 5/10/08

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Results:

1: Lee
2: John Wu
3: Dr. Mario Kart
4: Taylor
5: Ray
5: Deuce
7: Sudai
7: Eric
9: Ran
9: Ever Power
9: T1tg
9: Hon
13: Titan
13: Rush
13: Fung
13: fakegeorge
17: Freddy
17: Hauk
17: SHYG
17: Laptop
17: Nuh
17: CR8n
17: Li-D
17: 1wa
25: Eddie
25: King
25: BravoNavo
25: CPK
25: DSK
25: Cloud520
25: Logan
25: Chase

=================================

So, now that Brawl has been out for a little while, it's time to get some tournaments going. Laser Tag has given us a Saturday to do just that, so let's make the best of it!

---------------------------------------------------
Here's Louisiana's next tourney!
(presented by Gary and myself)

What:
Brawl Singles
Brawl Free for All w/ items
Guitar Hero 3
Halo 3

Facebook event (Guitar Hero rules may be found here):

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=30933320220

Where:

Upstairs at (with no outside food or drinks, please):

Laser Tag of Baton Rouge
5871 S. Sherwood Forest Blvd.,
Baton Rouge, LA 70816
(225) 303-0386

Time info:
11:00 - open and setup begins
11:30 - registration / warm-ups
12:00 - Smash FFA begins
~1:00- Guitar Hero 3 begins
~2:00- Smash singles begins
~4:00 Halo 3 begins

Prizes:
At the very least, each division's winners will get cash from the pot. I'm thinking a 60-30-10 split, though I may try and payout more people.

FFA
This will be a tournament catering to the more casual players.

-$5 entry
-64 person max.
-3 stock, 4 person FFAs with a 7:00 time limit, ties are decided by sudden death
-single elimination
-all items on
-all stages on random
-best of 1 game
-top 2 advance (KOs are a tie breaker)

Singles
Here's the real meat of the Smash tournaments.

-$10 entry fee
-64 max. entry
-pools to a 32 (or 16, depending on time constraints) person double elimination bracket
-3 stock, 6 minutes, ties decided by stock then percent
-no items
-best 2/3, advanced slob picks, double blind may be called on first game by either player
-First game is on a random stage or a mutually agreed upon stage

Stages:

Random: 5
Battlefield
FD
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville

Counterpick: 21
Delfino
Luigi's Mansion
Pokemon Stadium (Melee)
Pokemon Stadium 2
Mario Circuit
Bridge of Eldin
Great Sea
Norfair
Halberd
Castle Siege
Distant Planet
Skyworld
Hanenbow
Green Hill Zone
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
Corneria
Jungle Japes
Green Greens
Frigate Orpheon

Banned: 14
Mushroomy Kingdom
Spear Pillar
Rumble Falls
Port Town Aero Dive
Wario Ware
Pictochat
New Pork City
Summit (? Ice Climbers' stage)
75m
Mario Bros.
Flat Zone 2
Shadow Moses Island
Big Blue
Onett
Hyrule Temple

Other stuff
**BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER**

We plan on having a Wiimote synced with each setup, so ANY controller type is accepted, though GC controllers are preferred.

DISQUALIFICATIONS: I'm using the Mages DQ rule. It goes like this:
After your match is called
2 minutes late- warning
4 minutes late- you lose the first game in the set
6 minutes late- you lose the set

If you absolutely must leave the immediate area for a short while, then let me or someone involved with the tournament know.

Cheaper entry!

I want 8 setups for Brawl and four for Guitar Hero 3. A usable Wii/ Brawl is one with all characters and stages unlocked. A usable TV is a CRT, not an LCD. Guitar Hero doesn't matter; there are unlock codes.

That said, if you bring a TV or Wii/Brawl, then I will discount your entry fee into one tournament by $2. If you provide both, then $5 off. I only want 12 setups (4GH3 and 8 Brawl), and some are already being supplied. I am going to take Wiis on who ever talks to me first basis. TVs will be different, I will use 12 TVs of my choosing, giving preference to bigger TVs (to an extent) and to those who offer first.

So far, we have:
Randall - 2x TV, 1x Wii/Brawl
Gary - 2x TV, 1x Wii/ Brawl
Greg - 1x TV
Mitchell - 1x TV
Chris - 1x TV, 1x Wii/ Brawl
gnuf - 1x TV
MuraRengan - 1x TV, 1x Wii/Brawl
jiovanni007 - 1x Wii/Brawl
Jonathan M. - 1x TV, 1x Wii/Brawl
Ran Iji - 1x Tv, 1x Wii/ Brawl

= 11 TVs and 7 Wiis/ Brawl

24+ Expected attendees (As notified through Smashboards, there will be many others):
$240+ pot

Dr Mario Kart (Austin, TX)

FakeGeorge (BR)
Gary (BR)
Sudai (Prarieville)
Battousai (NOLA)
TaylorHJ (BR)
EET (BR)
Testament27 (NOLA)
Captain Sa10 (Mandeville)
Cyphus (Houma)
Lee (Houma)
jiovanni007 (NOLA)
MuraRengan (NOLA)
gnuf (BR)
SSEddie13 (BR)
Jonathan M. (NOLA)
Hats (Mandeville)
OUST (Mandeville)
SADX (Mandeville)
punk is dead (BR)
Ran Iji (NOLA)
Garret (NOLA)
Freddy (BR)
Young Dylan (BR)
--------------------------------------

I'm looking to get a good turnout, especially of casual players. Hopefully, the FFA will introduce some of them to competitive smash and our community will see some new faces. Lemme know if you can make it, provide anything, or have any questions or ideas.

Thanks!
Randall

Sudai

Stuff here
Mark me down as a definite entrant. Unless a family friend or relative dies or something, I should definitely be able to go.

Randall, sorry for not being able to supply my normal game system+game. With Melee it was ok cause I have 5-6 game cubes, but I only have two Wii's and my little bro already broke one of those..so yeah. >< I'm sure it's not much of an issue though so I'm just rambling to ramble?

Battousai780

Smash Ace
I wanna go, but Iunno if I can get a ride to BR. Maybe if matt goes or I bribe my parents. I'll prolly be there, Im good at that ****.

D

Deleted member

i hope this runs a lot smoother than last time. i recommend doing bracket work before hand, or not using computers for the randomization. i, of couse, offer my services for w/e.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Taylor, thanks for the offer. I you don't mind, I'll probably ask you to run your pool. I can't do all the bracket stuff beforehand, because I don't know who will be there. As for randomization, I tried reviewing it all manually, and I think ShyGuy was the only big mess up for pools. Brackets were made primarily by pool placement, but I can't guarantee much after the first, maybe second round. Naturally, I'm going to try and get everything to go much smoother, which means I'm gonna be meaner about DQing people.

Sudai, it's okay if you can't bring your Wii, but if you know anyone with one to provide, that'd be awesome.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
my only beef last time with the pools was that they were too small. I knew i would loose againast Wu and beat the other dude so my tourney life came down to one set vs. tim... so i suggest bigger pools or better seeding/placement. Although none of that really matters anymore because i will be owning everyone in brawl with pikachu ...
put me down as most probly going...

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Pools will be bigger this time, so that shouldn't be a problem. The small pools weren't as fun, but I really had to worry about time. Since the FFA will be a lot shorter than teams was as LAST, we should be good.

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
put my name down i will def be there

edit: i would be up for bringing my wii or whatever if u need help setting up. pm me

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
freaking awesome. I've been waiting for some louisiana tourneies. and getting to BR is easy (got love grandparents, lol). expect me to be there for sure. pm me if you still need some extra stuff. Hope i see a good number of pople XD(hammond has very small ones, and mandeville's hasn't even heard of smash tournaments lol.)

Sudai

Stuff here
Badabump~~

Edit for relavance!!:

I talked to some of my friends from school and I convinced 3 or so people to come with me to 3LT already. Trying to convince a few more. Expand that smash scene more than Brawl's arival already did!!

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
I should be able to go, I haven't asked my parents yet though. Also, I've got GH3 so if I go I'll bring it.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Awesome. I haven't really advertised to OOS yet, so having some housing to offer is good. Also, Lee just gave us some name recognition with the Gamestop tournament, so maybe some OOS would be willing to travel.

MuraRengan, is your GH3 the 360 version by any chance? We're using all the Wiis we get for Smash, and 360s for GH3. If that's the version that you have, then by all means bring it. If not, I appreciate the offer, but it wouldn't be used.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Oh sry, I've got Wii GH3.

But I'll still bring it along with my Wii, TV and Smash (provided that my parents let me go).

gnuf

Smash Apprentice
im gona go. i got a tv available. im thinking 27-29"? if you need a wii i might bring mines

SSEddie13

Smash Cadet
NNID
sseddie13
3DS FC
5429-9107-2527
Cool a tournament! Well me and about 4 of my friends will be coming to this so I just want to make sure that we will be able enter before all the spots are taken.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Okay, cool. I'm gonna hold spots for any OOS. Maybe I'll do a more formal pre-registration type thing. Regardless, sign-ups will start at about 11:30, so get there on time! That's the safest way to be ensured a spot.

Sudai

Stuff here
More bumpage because this doesn't deserve to be on the second page.

But really, when I went to Dibbz on Friday and played a few of the new people, it seems like there's a lot of talent in the pool just waiting to be refined. Most of their play styles evolved with the match to keep up with and adapt to the opponent, which is what this game's all about. I'm hoping this means that all these guys intend to go to the tourney and learn a lot/make the tourney more interesting.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
OK, I asked my dad, and he said he'll bring me. So, I'm pretty much in as long as nothing within the next few weeks.

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
Yea I can't wait for this tournament, seeing as to what Sudai said, there is tons of talent lately, and that just gets me hyped over it all. And now that i've been spreading the word on this BR tourney, alot of mandeville players are planning to show-up. I'll just list the few that I know for sure are coming(the others need parent confirmation most likely):

Other players in Mandeville that expect to participate:

Hats
OUST
SADX

Im pretty sure about Hats and OUST. Not to sure on SADX but Im sure his dad would let him(unless he planned for something unexpectedly).

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
They'll fill up quickly enough for you to want to get there on time. I mean, chances are, we won't hit 64 people. If we do, however, then you'll be glad you got there at 11:30. Plus, that gives you time to warm up and stuff. I assume you plan on coming?

Sudai

Stuff here
Warm ups = good. Also, PiD, where do you live? If this is your first tourney, I'm gonna assume that you haven't played competitively yet and it might be good to get some competitive experience under your belt before the actual tournament. (In all actuality, I'm just looking for people to play.. lol. >>; )

punk is dead

Smash Rookie
Yeah I definitely plan on being there. I live off of South Harrell's Ferry (By Canes and EHS). I won't be in town until this Sunday. By the way I also have about 4 friends who are close to my skill level, I'll try to get them to go, but I know one has an exam on that day

Sudai

Stuff here
South Harrell's Ferry? I think that's where NickNyte used to live. But bah at you being further away than everyone else. lol.

You should definitely come to the tournament, wether your friends can come or not. I know Eric and Vaughn are always up to new smashers too and they live like..half way between me and you. If I go over there any time soonish after Sunday, I'll ask them if you can come. Don't want to just invite you over without asking them though, you know? ;o

punk is dead

Smash Rookie
Like I said I'll definitely be at the tournament unless it's canceled or a family emergency arises. Please do talk to your friends, I'm always down to play new people.

TheDownSyndromeKid

Smash Cadet
PiD, if you're scopin' for new people to play, you should PM your number or call me at 337.405.8756. I work M-F 8-5, so evenings and weekends is usually good (unless it's Thursday or Wednesday...lost and south park :) )

Ever_Power

Smash Cadet
I guess i'll go.......

So the Actual Singles will basically be ran like LAST was?

Assuming once you make it out of pools and in the 32 man bracket, will there be a loser's bracket as well?

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Singles will be basically like LAST. Pools should be bigger this time around, and the bracket will be double elimination.

-Ran

Smash Master
Go go New Orleans.
For Singles and FFA:
Ryan R/ Ran Iji.
And Garret. [NonSmash Boarder]

Battousai780

Smash Ace
I really wanna go, but Ill have to see if I can hitch a ride with another smasher or something.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so I've made a few changes:

1. Halo 3 is in the lineup. Rules should be posted on the facebook group.

2. I've decided to ban Pictochat and Frigate Orpheon.

Pictochat is banned because it was borderline and its randomness is pretty weird. Frigate, while normally easy to hear the warning and react, doesn't give much in the way of warning when you can't hear the game. Vaughn and I had this problem at Late Night playing friendlies. Basically, it flipped out of nowhere because everything else was too loud to hear.

So yeah, I'm looking forward to 3LT, so hopefully a lot of people will be able to make this.

Top Bottom