• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3DS Legal stages?

Drarky

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1607-4919-4337
Kinda silly that I was just thinking the other day about Rainbow Road being a pretty nice stage.

I mean the cars are kinda disruptive and there are some transformations that have walk-offs, but aside from that everything else seems pretty legit (The other transformations are pretty nice in fact) and nothing kills stupidly low.

And yes, the cars are a thing, which is a shame. But then you look at stages like Halberd or Delphino on Wii U and it doesn't look so bad does it? I feel like the stage could be a pretty nice addition to the Counterpick Stages.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
lol my last post there is exactly what I said at my previous post here.

uh, can you test to see what percents it kills at(killing mario) because if it kills at low percent, it could be hazardous.
It kills at a pretty low damage (45% ish iirc), but then again, it's really easy to avoid. If you get thrown to it you probably got outplayed.
Kinda silly that I was just thinking the other day about Rainbow Road being a pretty nice stage.

I mean the cars are kinda disruptive and there are some transformations that have walk-offs, but aside from that everything else seems pretty legit (The other transformations are pretty nice in fact) and nothing kills stupidly low.

And yes, the cars are a thing, which is a shame. But then you look at stages like Halberd or Delphino on Wii U and it doesn't look so bad does it? I feel like the stage could be a pretty nice addition to the Counterpick Stages.
I won't say much about it, but I personally like it too. Its only problem is that some transformations don't have a safe area where cars won't hit. Only one real problem, but a huge argument against it.

Last edited:

DarthLuigi36

Smash Cadet
NNID
CmonBlueFalcon
3DS FC
3823-8676-0627
Bumping a somewhat old thread here, but this seems to be the one people reference when talking about 3DS legal stages.

Anther's Ladder has just removed Arena Ferox from their stage list, replacing it with Tomodachi Life. Is there any merit to this at all? Should people be considering Tomodachi Life more often for a counterpick, or was this just a really dumb move on Anther's part?

Also let's discuss the two new stages! While I think we can agree that Hyrule Castle is too large for 1v1, it seems like a solid 2v2 stage.

Peach's Castle also would work for 2v2, but I think it has potential as a 1v1 stage too. Those obnoxious triangles are the biggest issue, but if we are ok with stages like Arena Ferox and Unova Pokémon Leaue, would should definitely give Peach's Castle some testing.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Why did they remove one to add another? Specially Arena Ferox, which is very legit.

I myself am growing a bit less convinced by Tomodachi now that I learned to camp with Sonic...

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Tomo is a very, very hard cp. Though there's no problem with both being legal, replacing ferox with tomo is a very dumb move.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Arena Ferox tends to be laggy online, so that's probably why they replaced it with a less interactive stage. I don't think it's about Tomadachi Life being more fair or anything.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Well, that sucks. It's like the worst possible reasoning, yet, hard to debate.

disfrozen

Smash Rookie
My personal opinion is that Arena Ferox is a much better CP than either Brinstar or Tomodachi. I can see the lag being a problem, but Prism Tower is there too, so... eh.

Starters:
Battlefield
Final Destination (Omegas being counterpicks, and in three shapes: walls (RBF), floating (BF), suspended (AF))
Dreamland 64
Yoshi's Island
Prism Tower (I'd prefer PT to be a CP, but... there's not something else that can fit here.)

Counterpicks:
Arena Ferox (It's legit. We all know that already.)
Brinstar (I consider it equivalent to Halberd, tbh)
Peach's Castle 64 (The only real problem I can see with this stage is the triangles, and the bumper. The moving platform is perfectly fine now that it has ledges.)

Considering:
Jungle Japes (The water is a huge argument against it, even if the three-platform ground style is pretty interesting.)
Rainbow Road (It would work as a good counterpick against campy characters, because you can't really circle camp if the stage transforms. Its biggest problem is the hazards, though.)
Tomodachi Life (It really promotes circle camping, plus higher platform is way too close to the ceiling to be anything than a very doubted counterpick.)
Reset Bomb Forest (The Lurchthorn is a problem... and the weird distribution of the platforms in the second stage.)
Unova Pokémon League (Fire. Lots and lots of time burning fire.)
Hyrule Castle 64 (The tornado is way too big of a problem, imho.)

There's also the problem of two stages being DLC, but... eh. If you don't have DL64, you can consider Prism Tower a CP, and if you don't have PC64 nothing really changes, given that it already is a CP.

Last edited:

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
They removed Ferrox? Really? It's a fantastic stage, well-balanced, and makes for a great counterpick. It's one of the two new 3DS stages (together with Prism Tower) that I would've loved to have seen on Wii U.

Tomodachi Life is way, way more janky than it, too.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Replaced Ferox with Tomodachi Life? Enjoy getting camped out by Sonic or other fast characters lmao

DarthLuigi36

Smash Cadet
NNID
CmonBlueFalcon
3DS FC
3823-8676-0627
Do you guys think Hyrule Castle 64 will be legal, seeing as it was legal in Smash 64 for a long time?
It's just too big, though. The random tornado doesn't help, but the size is the biggest thing I think. It was ok in 64 because that game is so much about zero-to-death combos, lol. I think it'll be a fine stage in a doubles setting, though.

---

On the topic of Tomodachi Life being a circle camping stage, too OP for stalling strategies... we have stage bans and Dave's stupid rule, yes? I know that doesn't perfectly solve the problem, but if we use a stage ban or DSR on Tomodachi Life, the problem is lessened. It's a poor argument, but it's something to keep in mind if you're going on Anther's Ladder.

So, let's ignore the degenerate strategies for a moment. Are there any legitimate strategies that can take advantage of Tomodachi Life? A character that enjoys platform play, for example. Or, guys like Charizard and Kirby with up throws that take them to the top. I just wonder if maybe something cool will come of Tomodachi Life being legal.

Woohoo982

Smash Apprentice
They removed Ferox? With Tomodachi? Xerox was interesting and kept you excited. Tomodachi has players using sonic to circle camp. Also, should we consider using a 5 starter list,or what? Dream Land 64 and Prism Tower would both make great starters, but I'm a bit iffy on Prism Tower being a starter.

DarthLuigi36

Smash Cadet
NNID
CmonBlueFalcon
3DS FC
3823-8676-0627
For a 5 starter list, Prism Tower is definitely the best (only) choice. I would typically rather see a stage like it as a counterpick but there's no other options.

Luckily, none of the transformations seem heavily in favor of particular characters; they're mostly quite tame. Since striking is still a thing in the initial match, it shouldn't be a problem.

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
I guess I will never understand what "janky" means.
That's fair, I shouldn't use that word because it's being thrown around willy-nilly and everyone has a different definition -

But what I meant was that Tomodachi allows for much more awkward, early kills for specific characters and adds much more options to some characters than Ferrox ever did.

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys probably shouldn't bump but did we ever reach a consensus to the reasoning behind Hyrule 64 and Peach's 64?

As much as I don't like it Peach's could be a good stage and I'm not going to let my personal preference deter me from backing it. Hyrule is more obvious in its reasoning.

Starter:

BattleField
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Prisim Tower
Arena Ferox
---------------------
Counter Pick:

Dreamland 64
Peach's Castle 64 *
Reset Bomb Forest *

That gives us 8 one more to the beautiful beautiful 9 stages that allows for both proper FLSS and 5 Starter Systems.

9 allows both to coexist so that neither side of the argument is left out from a tournament preparation standpoint. It's optimal.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Hey guys probably shouldn't bump but did we ever reach a consensus to the reasoning behind Hyrule 64 and Peach's 64?

As much as I don't like it Peach's could be a good stage and I'm not going to let my personal preference deter me from backing it. Hyrule is more obvious in its reasoning.

Starter:

BattleField
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Prisim Tower
Arena Ferox
---------------------
Counter Pick:

Dreamland 64
Peach's Castle 64 *
Reset Bomb Forest *

That gives us 8 one more to the beautiful beautiful 9 stages that allows for both proper FLSS and 5 Starter Systems.

9 allows both to coexist so that neither side of the argument is left out from a tournament preparation standpoint. It's optimal.
Why not do FLSS from 7 stages striking 2-3-1? I understand it's hard to find 9 "good" stages in the 3DS version.

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
Why not do FLSS from 7 stages striking 2-3-1? I understand it's hard to find 9 "good" stages in the 3DS version.
It's literally just me being stupid. I just always found 9 optimal. You're right though.

And we'd still need that 7th at any rate.

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
- BF
-FD
-Yoshi's Island
-DL64
-Prism Tower
-Arena Ferox
-Reset Bomb Forest
-Rainbow Road
-Tomodachi

done.
It's not just about good stages, it's about accepted stages as well. You have to be political about it. If you have only theory that a stage is good then no one is going to agree. You need to prove it with practical evidence. So yeah while I agree with you that Rainbow Road is an awesome stage I'd need evidence to prove it to the masses. Citing no data doesn't help your cause.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
People want evidence to play it.
So they don' play it.
So there's no evidence.
:196:

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
So we need to "make" evidence or at least provide a showing of it. Circular reasoning always has a way out.

Routa

Smash Lord
Starters:
BF
FD/Omegas
*Yoshi's Island
Prism Tower
*Dreamland 64

Counterpicks:
Arena Ferox
Brinstar
Reset Bomb Forest**
Unova Pokemon League**

*counterpicks in 3 starter format
**are only used in 9 stage system
Shall we agree with this and point out these stages when people ask about 3DS legal stages... Or is there any stage that should be removed or changed to other one?

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Shall we agree with this and point out these stages when people ask about 3DS legal stages... Or is there any stage that should be removed or changed to other one?
Looks good to me. The only debatable thing it that list is Brinstar vs. Reset Bomb, though I think Brinstar works a tad better because of its more "traditional" layout.

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
Arena Ferox has to replace Dreamland 64 as a starter, having both Dreamland and Battlefield as starters oversaturizes the starter list with the 3 platform pyramid style of stage and gives an advantage to characters who enjoy that style.

Peach's Castle also is lightly debated.

Routa

Smash Lord
Arena Ferox has to replace Dreamland 64 as a starter, having both Dreamland and Battlefield as starters oversaturizes the starter list with the 3 platform pyramid style of stage and gives an advantage to characters who enjoy that style.

Peach's Castle also is lightly debated.
Well you are right indeed, but a lot of people seem to prefer having DL64 as a starter instead of Arena Ferox. Personally I would like to have both in starter list, but... (this is why I prefer FLSS).

Anyways I'm not sure about the Peach's Castle. The plathform layout is kinda... well not the best. But then again I haven't played on the stage so I am not the best person to ask should it be a legal stage. If its happens to be good stage, I could see it replace UPL in 9 stage list.

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
Well you are right indeed, but a lot of people seem to prefer having DL64 as a starter instead of Arena Ferox. Personally I would like to have both in starter list, but... (this is why I prefer FLSS).

Anyways I'm not sure about the Peach's Castle. The plathform layout is kinda... well not the best. But then again I haven't played on the stage so I am not the best person to ask should it be a legal stage. If its happens to be good stage, I could see it replace UPL in 9 stage list.
Yeah I prefer FLSS too but I'm just trying to play it safe with one argument at a time.

And I don't like Peach's Castle much either it reminds me of Pilot Wings in the Wii U version. Too much emphasis on securing stage position for almost unbeatable control.

But I'd also like those who wish for the stage to get a fair chance to argue their points like I feel I got in regards to Unova Pokemon League. They deserve that much

V4n1sh

Smash Rookie
I don't really get whyy people want Dreamland for counterpick? Unless you don't have dreamland or 3/5 format, in which case I would make Yoshi's counterpick

Neutral

Dreamland
BF
FD/Omega
Yoshi's Island
Prism Tower

Counter
Arena Ferox
Brinstar

Suspect

Tomadachi
Reset Bomb Forest
Unova Pokemon League

Last edited:

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
We got a Stage!!!!

Hype for Duck Hunt! :)

That gives us Seven good stages for certain. :)
And it's free!

Now can we please stop saying Unova Pokémon League is a good competitive stage?

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
And it's free!

Now can we please stop saying Unova Pokémon League is a good competitive stage?
Never!!!!!! :)

I'll stop pushing for it when there are 9 fairer stages than it. 2 more to go until then!

#FREEUPL

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Starters:
FD/Omega
Battlefield
Prism Tower (I swear I have never been in this stage on game 1)
Arena Ferox
Yoshi's Island

Counterpicks
Duck Hunt
Dreamland 64
Reset Bomb Forest
Brinstar

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
Starters:
Omega Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island
Prism Tower
Duck Hunt

Counterpick:
Dreamland 64
Arena Ferox
Reset Bomb Forest*
Brinstar*
Unova Pokemon League*

My ideal stage list is 9 stages, because it allows for TOs to switch from FLSS to 5Starter easily depending on their preference.

I have Duck Hunt over Arena Ferox as a starter because Arena Ferox has more dramatic benefits and detriments to a match ups being able to stuff projectiles as well as negating some vertical kills.

Dreamland 64 is a counter pick because having both Battlefield and it skews the starter list in the favour of characters who prefer that platform layout. The differences are minor enough to skew data.

*Any two of the following three can be used to create the 9 stage list.

Cheap Shot

Smash Cadet
So I'm going to run some 3DS tournaments fairly soon. I'm going to run a 9 stage FLSS system with the following stages and I would really like your opinions.

Battlefield
FD/Omega
Arena Ferox
Duck Hunt
Dreamland 64
Prism Tower
Reset Bomb Forest
Yoshi's Island
Brinstar (singles)
Rainbow Road (doubles)

I like Rainbow Road for doubles because there are no karts when 4 players are playing, but I wasn't quite sure which stage to replace. I'm of the liberal camp as far as stages go and I was really considering a 13 stage FLSS, but I'm not sure if there are four more stages I could include. I could be okay with Peach's Castle 64, Tormiter Island, Tomadachi Life and another stage, but I'm not really too sure. Anyway, let me know what you guys think!

Routa

Smash Lord
Hmmm...

Not sure if RBF is a bit too small for doubles. I mean the first transformation is fine, but the second one is a bit stuffed when there are 4 person on the field.

Just tested Rainbow Road first time in a while (like 3 months since I last played on that stage :S) and still got the cars in 4 player smash. Dunno why. Maybe they secretly "fixed" it? Anyways Brinstar is amazing for singles, but I do agree that the lava is a bit too much for doubles (when the lava is super high and 4 players try to be on the top platform lel). What you got there is pretty much everyone's wet dream so... +1 to you mate.

Pretty much everyone here thinks that Tortimer Island is not suited for a tournament stage for a reasons that have been named before (random platform, fruits in items off mode etc). Tomadachi COULD work in doubles, but as far for singles go... Yeah no (reasons have been stated on this thread couple of times). PC64 could work, but it isn't a stage that everyone has or has brought when in the other hand everyone and their mother have DL64.

Anyways I think you have a great stage list that keeps pretty much every player happy. Like I said before +1 to you mate. Let's hope that the tournament is a success.

Top Bottom