• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3D printed N64 joystick parts

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Isn't the top supposed to be rubber?

EDIT: the top of the Hori is rubber. I don't remember what the analog stick for the OG controller is like.

Last edited:

Skrlx

Smash Champion
The top of the analog stick on the Hori is rubber, no? Like the Gamecube controller. Idk. Maybe I'm just imagining things since I don't actually own one, but the last time I used it, I recalled the top being rubber.

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
The top of the analog stick on the Hori is rubber, no? Like the Gamecube controller. Idk. Maybe I'm just imagining things since I don't actually own one, but the last time I used it, I recalled the top being rubber.
Pretty sure its all one piece

They just use really sexy plastic

tehz

Smash Apprentice
We need to ask this guy if he can model a replacement "bottom bowl" too.

sman865

Smash Apprentice
I've seen gc controllers where the rubber comes off

never seen that happen on a hori

pretty sure its one piece

i'll check my 10 horis when i get home
Right, I've seen that too. If you look at the hori's stick you can see some sort of covering though. Because it's obviously not rubber the whole way down.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord

We should contact the seller of these parts and ask him to revise/improve the vertical piece that controls x axis movement. If a lot of us tried contacting him about it, I'm sure a lot of potential sales could motivate him to do so.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I saw those reviews too.

This is just the beginning though. Quality will get better.

The fact that we now have replacement parts being made available to us via 3D printer is quite the 1st step. It's what we've all been waiting for.

Things only get better from here.

Last edited:

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Has anyone tried just lining the bowl with something that prevents wear?

super glue a metal ball bearing to the bottom of a stick

line the bowl with some sort of thin sheet metal

or just switch to hori

Windjammer

Smash Rookie
Neat to see that more and more of this is popping up. We really need the bowl recreated too, though.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Also MATTS posted this on skype the other day:

Looks like the most legit fix to me so far. Plus that German accent.

Timotheus

Smash Journeyman
That video only addresses fixing the worn out bowl, and the bowl is not the cause of loose joysticks so it shouldn't be expected to really fix them.
well i think it's not only the bowl itself, but i'm pretty sure it's one of the reasons the sticks is going to wear out

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
well i think it's not only the bowl itself, but i'm pretty sure it's one of the reasons the sticks is going to wear out
That's exactly what I thought when I saw the video. Aren't the black x-y thingy responsible for the loose joystick?
the black elbows are what control the movement. if there's a wide gap inside of them, the joystick literally has more room to wiggle around before pushing them and inputting directions. Fixing the bowl only tightens the spring to give the stick a more "solid" feel but doesn't actually improve the sensitivity of the stick.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
not only the bowl but the inside end of the stick

all those 4 parts (bowl, inside end of control stick, both elbows) experience wear much faster if not greased. the tension spring also wears, but by far not as noticeable as the other parts. with grease, there is almost no wear to the elbows whereas even with grease, downwards pressure will still grind away at the bowl and inside end of the stick.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
None of my loose sticks have ever had significant wear on the axis pieces.

The bowl and the spring are the most important parts IMO. That's the conclusion I've come to from all the sticks I've opened.

it tried it myself. it is not as good as it looks
What issues did you have with it, exactly?

Last edited:

Timotheus

Smash Journeyman
The bowl and the spring are the most important parts IMO. That's the conclusion I've come to from all the sticks I've opened.
I think you're right. But the axis pieces are important aswell.

What issues did you have with it, exactly?
I think this guy in the video had a great idea. So I tried it multiple times and in the end my stick could barely move everytime. Even with silicon spray, which i use for my sticks. I think the problem here is the material. Plastic instead of this epoxy steel could be fix this problem because it's not as raw as steel.

Sedda

Smash Champion
i cant japanese HELP. I actually just bought a controller with a sick fresh stick, but I'd like to repair my old controllers if possible

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
I don't know **** about CAD files or 3d modelling so I'm going to find a 3d scanning/modelling service in the internets, hope for the best, OPEN UP my clamshell SEALED 'ice' n64 controller, take apart the VIRGIN stick and get all the parts scanned/modelled.
Is this good, y/n?

Last edited:

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
im ordering 1 of each MODEL type from shapeways to see what the quality/accuracy is like as a TEST

ALRIGHT so people with access to 3d printers, i need to know what filetypes to get you so we can start this ****

look, preview-able 3d bowl models. first thing i noticed was the arm ends aren't equal, bowl looks too shallow as well

http://grabcad.com/library/n64-joystick-housing/files#

Last edited:

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Get it done tryfox.

Honestly the arms don't look equal to me even on real sticks. Haven't measured so not sure if it's an illusion or they're actually different lengths.

tehz

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:
Top Bottom