• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Rosalina Match-Up Analysis (Obsolete & Succeeded)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I seen a couple of Diddy vs Rosalina videos, Diddy kong is just wicked in air, even better than Rosalina, since everyone regarding Diddy kong OP these days, we've shouldn't be surprised that Rosalina is not good agaist Dissy.

I give 70:30
You actually mean 30:70, right? Your ratio input makes it sound like Rosalina has the advantage, when you're actually saying the complete opposite.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
55:45 in Diddy's favor. They both have tools to combat each other, it's just that Diddy has an easier time and can KO super early w/ an upair. Those Diddy Side-Bs can be an issue, but I personally space them out & roll away dsmash/jab/grab.

9Tales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
9Tales_of_Hoenn
I think this match up favors Diddy although not a ton.

Because of Gravity, Rosalina is the most immune character to Diddy’s main “trick.” And while Diddy can effectively use bananas on her the simple threat of gravity makes Diddy a lot more cautious and careful with them rather than spamming them into all his movements. Diddy’s have to alter their tactic heavily (when it comes to bananas) around Rosalina.

I think Diddy is on the upper half of characters that can take out Luma with relative ease. He has enough offensive pressure to warrant you using your shield, is quick enough to threaten breaking into your space, and has a reasonable list of moves (monkey flip, and most air attacks) that can safely pick on Luma through a shielding Rosalina. Plus it seems like his smash attacks if landed, are prone to launching Luma a different distance than Rosalina, making it easy to snipe out Luma instead of string together a combo on Rosalina while she’s in tumble animation. Aside from Diddy’s fair I’ve felt like Luma doesn’t have bad priority against most of what Diddy does though.

With Luma being kept safe I think Rosalina has good options at most times to keep space, land KOs or even string her own air combos or try air approaches, (although for now I never feel safe attacking Diddy in the air if he’s the one who put me there XD) Diddy’s air attacks KO much better but Rosalina can out space all of them. Also a pretty big factor is that Rosalina can always land a Luma up smash on a grab released Diddy (assuming Luma is detached.) meaning once at high % a slightly conditional grab is all that’s needed to end Diddy.

While flying SoRo, Diddy has basically 100 more options than you and pretty much any big move you make is a risk.

Add that all together (oh and throw in Diddy’s insane ease at stringing together air attacks on Rosalina once he lands one) and the result is that while Rosalina can successfully out space Diddy, Diddy applies pressure to her really well. A screw up on her part usually ends up costing her more than a screw up on Diddy’s part costs him. And if it costs her Luma then she has to play as stall-ish as possible. I think it’s around 40:60

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I'd like to point out that while Rosalina can GP diddy's banana diddy can still regrab it. Depending on the situation it a benefit for diddy for you to use GP. Watching Anti vs dabuz abd dabuz vs adhd over the weekend this MU doesn't look good for Rosalina. I don't really have a number for the MU but it's not a good one.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Going to abstain from this one too, I have exactly zero Diddy experience.

@ Dabuz Dabuz can you elaborate on Diddy having control? Early kills make sense given uair and Rosalina being super light.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
You actually mean 30:70, right? Your ratio input makes it sound like Rosalina has the advantage, when you're actually saying the complete opposite.
Oh.yeah, accidentally messed up. Yes, it's 30:70.
35:65 Diddy has too much control over Rosa and kills her extremely easily.
I can see that in some of it's matchup videos..............
I only saw the first match of this video, @ Dabuz Dabuz you run a lot! And I realized that Diddy can just down throw you and then just kick you up in the air. Rosalina's biggest advantage has to be Luma. I can't believe that a Luma can also KO an opponent that quick! Versusing a Diddy is really tough eh?

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think that it's time for me to bring up the changes that will be occurring with the schedule.

During the last set of weeks, we've analyzed a single character for 7 days. However, after looking at the different match-up ratios, I've noticed that some characters have received less discussions than others, especially when there's a large gap with the days that have no posts at all.

Because of this, I feel that I should lower the amount of days that we discuss a single character to 3 days. That way, we can cover the whole roster at a faster rate. Don't worry though, as once every fighter has been covered at least once, we will restart the match-up analysis process for round 2.

Anyway, with that said, here are the next set of fighters that we'll be analyzing after Diddy Kong's week is over...

• 1/12/2015 - 1/14/2015: :4bowser:
  • 1/15/2015 - 1/17/2015: :4wario:
  • 1/18/2015 - 1/20/2015: :4bowserjr:
  • 1/21/2015 - 1/23/2015: :4drmario:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I think that it's time for me to bring up the changes that will be occurring with the schedule.

During the last set of weeks, we've analyzed a single character for 7 days. However, after looking at the different match-up ratios, I've noticed that some characters have received less discussions than others, especially when there's a large gap with the days that have no posts at all.

Because of this, I feel that I should lower the amount of days that we discuss a single character to 3 days. That way, we can cover the whole roster at a faster rate. Don't worry though, as once every fighter has been covered at least once, we will restart the match-up analysis process for round 2.

Anyway, with that said, here are the next set of fighters that we'll be analyzing after Diddy Kong's week is over...

• 1/12/2015 - 1/14/2015: :4bowser:
  • 1/15/2015 - 1/17/2015: :4wario:
  • 1/18/2015 - 1/20/2015: :4bowserjr:
  • 1/21/2015 - 1/23/2015: :4drmario:
Oh dear, the pace of analyzing Rosalina's MU had speeding up now.
Some characters does gets few ratios for it (Like Peach:c)...... it depends that if they know the rules, or if they know what is this thread is talking about.
I hope that that for those who often visits this thread, I encourage you at least set your MU ratio everytime you analyze a MU, don't worry that you are not familiar with this character, just as long as you had fought with this character with Rosalina, or you had used this character and had fought with Rosalina.( And it seems that I'm the only user so far who made a ratio in every MU so far, don't know if I will keep that record since it will going to be one three days per character, I may missed a MU cuz I don't go online that much.)

here I bring down the rules again from the first post of this thread from @ Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy for the ones who don't know the rules and too lazy to see the first page of this thread.

Data Submission
When contributing, you can post links and/or videos to back up your sources. However, when contributing videos, be aware that too many embeded videos on one page could result in lag, so it'll probably be better to put a link to the video instead.

Discussion Rules
Much like with the former match-up discussion thread, please keep all conversations clean. Do "not" flame, troll, or spam in any way, or else you may receive a warning or infraction.

Format
When doing match-up discussions, it's recommended that the format is as follows...
  1. Pros
  2. Cons
  3. Additional Notes
  4. Overall Score
The overall score is basically based on a score of 100. For an example, 70:30; those numbers add up to 100. We will use values that are divisible by 5, with the left value being for Rosalina, while the right value is for the match-up opponent in discussion. The ratios below are what we'll be using...
  • 100:0 - 95:5; Rosalina would (almost) always win.
  • 90:10 - 85:15; Rosalina has a massive advantage.
  • 80:20 - 75:25; Rosalina has a strong advantage.
  • 70:30 - 65:35; Rosalina has a moderate advantage.
  • 60:40 - 55:45; Rosalina has a slight advantage.
  • 50:50; Rosalina is evenly matched against her opponent.
  • 40:60 - 45:55; Rosalina has a slight disadvantage.
  • 30:70 - 35:65; Rosalina has a moderate disadvantage.
  • 20:80 - 25:75; Rosalina has a strong disadvantage.
  • 10:90 - 15:85; Rosalina has a massive disadvantage.
  • 0:100 - 5:95; Rosalina would (almost) always lose.
When getting the average, all the ratios would be added up, and then divided. The average itself won't always be divisible by 5, but the format does work as follows.

Match-up ratio sum / Total number of match-up ratios = Match-up ratio average

Let's say that there are five match-up ratios, which consist of 60:40, 50:50, 70:30, 60:40, and 40:60. The equation would be...

(60:40 + 50:50 + 70:30 + 60:40 + 40:60) / 5 = 56:44

56:44 is the average for that equation, but be advised that not all averages will end up as integers.

Please remember that when discussing match-ups, we must assume that everyone is always playing at their top potential.

Okay.............. except for Dr.Mario ,the next following MU of the characters are the ones that I just don't like............and very annoying when facing with them in Online mode(Especially Bowser Jr. users who likes to abuse up B and it's clown kart, Bowser users likes to abuse Bowser Bomb, Wario users likes to use the Bike and riding around...)

Seems that Bowser Jr may get a lot of discussions since it's the public fav:mad: , two days of discussion might not be enough for Bowser Jr. (And I'm just afraid that Rosalina might get a lot of rails from the Bowser Jr users in this thread once their MU discussion opens.)

Last edited:

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
( Figured I'd cave and give my MU score after that heroic call to action from Mario#s )

Going to just outright vote 40-60 against Rosalina. She has outs for many of Diddy's best strengths, but the character is still incredibly strong regardless; it's far from unwinnable, but the Rosalina will have to work a bit harder for the win than the Diddy would.

Castell

Smash Rookie
NNID
Castell
3DS FC
5172-2314-1551
Well this is going to be interesting first post...
I'm constantly playing a good Diddy main, so I'm fairly sure I know the strength and weaknesses.
Pros:
-Gravity pull can temporarily make the banana our's, giving us some amount of space to work with.
-Low weight means with DI we should be able to avoid grab combos at mid-high percents.
-Rosa out ranges Diddy on the ground with tilts, side-B, and luma shot.
-If Diddy is forced to use his Up-B to recover, Rosa's aerials can reliably gimp that.
Cons:
-Diddy's aerials are extremely fast and almost unpunishable. Even with Luma, our attacks come out slower than Fair and Uair.
-Luma floats over the bananas when they're on the ground, meaning he doesn't completely nullify it.
-Diddy's side-B can easily force Luma away or outright kill him. Also a quick escape from Uair juggling. Best kill and damage option gone.
-Diddy is able to capitalize extremely well on hitting Rosalina's blind spots when we're deprived of Luma.
-Low weight also means we can die earlier. Floaty gets us juggled easily. Or edgeguarded
-Gravity Pull also is slow enough than if we don't space it, we'll be punished for the cooldown.

Hmm. I consider this to be a rather tough MU for Rosalina. Especially since Luma is no longer a 'get-out-of-grab-free' card, Rosalina is extremely vulnerable to throws as they put us in our most disadvantageous position( above the opponent) and some throws will seperate us from Luma. We already know how effective down-throw to up air is so no need to ponder that. Diddy's extremely fast speed and attacks, as well as banana, allows for him to essentially play rushdown for free. Combine that with a speedy roll and good aerial mobility, and it's difficult to punish Diddy. Frame 3 uair means that Rosa doesn't have a good answer to it, especially as it comes out so quick and with little cooldown. Dair is slower and has enough cooldown that if we manage to stuff Diddy's uair with a ranged hit, we'll just get a second one in the face.
However the main problem I have in this match up is Fair. Diddy fair hits on frame 6, faster than whatever Rosa has, outranges everything except maybe bair, and is such an extremely safe move to space and hit with. Additionally, this match up really made me appreciate characters with fairs that can space, such as shulk rather than a slow, strong attack like Mario or the Knee. Rosalina doesn't have an aerial that can hit directly if front of us at a decent speed. Rosalina and Luma's fair kinda scoop up from below and Luma's nair has less range than Diddy's fair.

What we do have is a way to make banana's our or get rid of it fast. Then we can space out Diddy from the ground and with it's invincibility, Upsmash makes a decent anti-air or answer to side-B. Throw to upair follow up is still good, its just that we can't juggle Diddy as we can the rest of the cast. Definitely an uphill battle.

30:70 TL:DR Diddy too fast, too much range, too free= Sad Rosalina

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Diddy Kong's week has come and gone, so now comes the match-up ratio average for Rosalina vs. Diddy.

:rosalina: [40:60] :4diddy:

Diddy takes the win.

Now it's time for the new schedule system to start up. We'll begin the new schedule by covering Rosalina's match-up against Bowser.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Easily one of my top 3 favorite opponents as Rosalina. He's just the ideal target for everything she has in her kit. His down air and down b lose hilariously to up air, so he's the ideal juggling target. If you're decent at playing with Luma separate, the Bowser matchup becomes even easier, as he really doesn't have great tools to navigate around a Luma in his path. Edge guarding also goes to Rosalina, as anything Bowser attempts offstage is a serious risk to his life. The only thing Bowser has going for him in this matchup is raw kill power. If he hits you with either drop kick move, you're pretty much going to lose a stock regardless of percent, thankfully landing either of these is going to require some serious outplaying on his part. It should be noted that Bowser's up smash has invincibility ( armor? Never checked to see if he takes damage ) from above, so he can snuff approaches if they're done unsafely.

I'm going to shoot high and call this 80-20 for Rosalina. Yes, Bowser can win, but I can't see him doing it without being significantly better than the Rosalina. I'd really like to hear from other Rosalina players though; it might be the case that the Bowsers I face just haven't discovered some secret trick to making this matchup favorable.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Bowser is definitely in Rosalina's favor. Most of his attacks are punishable. I believe his fair has a lot of priority, so watch out for that. Forward smash is a solid killer, and of course he has his suicide for when he gets high damage.

Rosalina can solidly juggle Browser, and then bait his butt slam and punish, or out prioritize it with up air. Luma makes for a great wall against him, but a Bowser Luma Hunter can make quick work of our Luma. Our side special can really disrupt Bowser. As @ Parcheesy Parcheesy said, Rosalina wins the edge guard game.

If the Bowser is a Luma Hunter, I would give this match up 70:30, if they pay no attention to Luma, easily 80:20.

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Diddy Kong's week has come and gone, so now comes the match-up ratio average for Rosalina vs. Diddy.

:rosalina: [40:60] :4diddy:

Diddy takes the win.

Now it's time for the new schedule system to start up. We'll begin the new schedule by covering Rosalina's match-up against Bowser.

Even though they mentioned that Bowser is a "tough guy" in the game, he is just actually the hardest character to get launched in the game.
Though a good Bowser pro will know the right timing to use Bowser Bomb (Down B), however it is only powerful in four player matches, it is easier to dodge in 1v1, Rosalina just need to beware Bowser's massive attacks.
I give 80:20
This is my last matchup analysis this month, the next following matchups I will be absent.(Yep, I am the only user so far who give ratios to every matchups, but over the next few weeks will be important and busy to me. So I need to stay out of Internet and 3DS for a while.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Bowser is definitely in Rosalina's favor. Most of his attacks are punishable. I believe his fair has a lot of priority, so watch out for that. Forward smash is a solid killer, and of course he has his suicide for when he gets high damage.

Rosalina can solidly juggle Browser, and then bait his butt slam and punish, or out prioritize it with up air. Luma makes for a great wall against him, but a Bowser Luma Hunter can make quick work of our Luma. Our side special can really disrupt Bowser. As @ Parcheesy Parcheesy said, Rosalina wins the edge guard game.

If the Bowser is a Luma Hunter, I would give this match up 70:30, if they pay no attention to Luma, easily 80:20.
Because you've inputted two match-up ratios there, I'll be putting you down as 75:25. It's better to use an average in this type of dilemma after all.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I have a lot of experience with this match up. I used to play with a competitive Bowser player a lot.

I'm gonna say 70:30 in Rosalina's favour, easily. Put simply, Bowser is a bit of a one trick pony, and doesn't really have a lot of strategies he can work with, where as Rosalina is all about playing smart.

However, a good Bowser is not to be underestimated. He hits like a truck, so you can't really let yourself get hit by his Smashes. Normally it's easy to dodge that, but some Bowser players are extremely patient, and can actually bait you into a position where they can counter attack.

Rosalina kinda hits like a truck herself, though, and can rack up damage especially easily against big characters like this. Trap Bowser in a jab combo between Rosalina and Luma and it's an easy 40%+.

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Can we shift the MU discussion to better characters please? I'm sorry I don't understand the order or selection process. No shiek discussion no ZSS no sonic discussion no pikachu discussion no fox discussion and it doesn't even seem like the discussion for these characters are coning up soon and these are the characters we're most likely to see in a tournament.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Can we shift the MU discussion to better characters please? I'm sorry I don't understand the order or selection process. No shiek discussion no ZSS no sonic discussion no pikachu discussion no fox discussion and it doesn't even seem like the discussion for these characters are coning up soon and these are the characters we're most likely to see in a tournament.
Patience. This thread will eventually get to each of the characters that you've mentioned, which is why I've lowered the amount the days that we'll cover a single character to 3. Each character has to be analyzed at least once after all.

Alternatively, you can always go to the other character sub-forums to discuss character match-ups.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Sometimes your worst enemy is the most unlikely of foes.

Chuva

Smash Apprentice
Simply put: Rosalina wins the poking and spacing game and once she puts Bowser offstage or in the air, it can be hell for Bowser to reset the situation.

What prevents it from being a hard counter imo is obviously Bowser's weight and kill power, specially against a lightweight like Rosa. Whirling Fortress other than being a great OoS option also punishes Luma nicely. Rosalina is one of the few characters that Bowser can have legit frame traps with Jab1 because of her average frame data outside of Dtilt and Dsmash. However, that's all assuming Bowser somehow manages to get in close quarters range, which is not easy against a defensive Rosa. It's one of these matchups where Bowser has to be extremely patient and know his punish options very well.

I'd rate it 65:35 for Rosalina. If we're only accepting rounded values, then 70:30

Edit based on the post below: 65:35 it is then

Last edited:

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
Okay, so since the matchup is Rosalina & Luma vs Boswer, I'd say it's around 75:25. Luma gives a commanding neutral game right from the get go since Bowser isn't too fast, even though he is considerably buffed all around. As a Rosalina & Luma player, it isn't too hard to go against even the toughest of Bowsers and it's mainly about patience to defeat him. While you can try to rush down and be aggressive, I generally find that... Hold on, I'll have to continue this post later by editing it. I'll leave it here so I don't lose my train of thought.

EDIT: On second thought, I don't feel like I'm up to sharing my input. I'm just so exhausted and I'd rather leave it up to everybody else. I'm sorry guys.

Also, I'm glad the Rosalina VS Peach match-up is 50:50. That's exactly what I thought it should be.

Last edited:

9Tales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
9Tales_of_Hoenn
Bowser is hard hitting so one slip up can cost Rosalina but that’s about it. He has no consistent way to break into Rosalina’s space. He’s the one who has to make the approach and he doesn’t have enough speed or low risk options to make consistent safe approaches. He’s left to hoping that he can pull of a surprise maneuver that catches Roslaina off guard and then he has to figure out another unorthodox maneuver as she adapts. His only real method of KOing Luma (assuming Roaslina doesn’t just leave her exposed) is to catch Rosalina off guard and make her shield a fsmash or up special or some other attack that she almost always get to punish back. As such a huge target with moderate mobility at best there’s no real reason that Rosalina can’t play her spacing game the whole match.

In short when Bowser beats Rosalina it's usually because Rosalina slipped up and Bowser capitalized not because Bowser had an upper hand. 75:25

Last edited:

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
The most fun I've ever had in For Glory was when the game first came out and Zero preached that Bowser was overpowered. For a few weeks, there was almost as many Bowsers as there were bad Little Macs. I think I learned everything I know about gimping with this character in that short amount of time; it's such an incredibly fun matchup that will teach you how to play the character ( Mess up > Die to forward smash at 50 ).

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
80-20 Rosalina's favor IMO, or "strong advantage."

Bowser's a huge target, uair beats his dair and Bowser Bomb clean, edgeguards for days, etc. etc. etc. The only things Bowser has going for him is that basically everything in his kit can hit Luma away (so you'll probably lose it a few times) and he hits hard enough that one or two mistakes can even the match up in a hurry. But if Rosalina plays safe I'm just not sure what Bowser can do to really threaten her.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
i've hardly fought any bowsers, what's the general method for edgeguarding vs him?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Bowser's discussion period is over, so here's the ratio average for Rosalina vs. Bowser.

:rosalina: [75:25] :4bowser:

Rosalina wins the match-up.

Next up is Rosalina vs. Wario.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
wario isn't nearly as popular here stateside as he is in japan so i haven't fought a whole lot of them. i can't really say much about the matchup but.. when rosalina and luma both smash him when he's on his bike there's an enormous amount of hitlag and he's going to get hit no matter what. if he jumps off his bike before he gets to you i think the bike can knock luma off the stage, even if you're shielding.

the bike parts can be gravity pulled.. im not sure there's a lot of benefit here except you can elongate the amount of time the bike is in pieces by continuously gravity pulling it and preventing wario from pooping out a new bike. i accidentally edgeguarded a friend's wario once because they kept trying to recall their bike because they thought the 2 second timer was up, but i still had a wheel or something that i was GPing for fun.

i dunno, i feel pretty reserved about this one due to lack of experience, but i feel like i've run into issues with this guy so i'm going to just stick with 50:50. the bike can be really annoying sometimes.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I think that Luma Shot beats the bike clean, although it may require a certain amount of charge, not quite sure on that bit.

Overall I'm not real familiar with the Wario matchup, he's not terribly popular in general. He does have excellent aerial mobility, which can let him get around Luma easier than most, similar to Jigglypuff and Peach. But he has next to no range and we...do. In spades. Waft is deadly though, so that's something to watch out for.

I kind of want to call this one even, 50-50.

~Frozen~

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frozen491
3DS FC
3909-8017-8600
I haven't really played vs Wario much but I will say that he seems to be one of the biggest benefactors from rage since he's quite heavy and also has a great recovery. He also isn't really much of a combo character to begin with it seems, so having rage just seems like a + for him all around with his plethora of high-KB moves. That might be a bit of an issue for Rosa since she thrives off edgeguarding opponents, but unlike lightweights with great recoveries like Puff and MK, Wario's also fat and difficult to outright kill.

Rage Waft is one of the scariest things in this game.

9Tales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
9Tales_of_Hoenn
As seems to be the norm, I have a very small amount of vs Wario experience. I just don’t know or practice ever with anyone who’s a Wario main.

Having spent a little time trying out all the characters at least a little, I would say that my perception is Rosalina has the upper hand but not by a lot.

Wario is doesn’t fight using a weapon or tool (aside from the bike) and given his proportions it’s generally the case that his hitboxes have a pretty big overlap with his hurtboxes relative to most other no-weapon fighters (who already have more overlap than weaponed fighters) So basically when Wario is attacking or just being used well in general he’s very “in your face.” He lands all his attacks by getting his character model directly on top of the enemy’s. He Wants To Invade Your Personal Space!!!

Meanwhile Rosalina is like, one of the best and probably THE best spacing character in the game. So that makes things pretty challenging for him. Granted Wario is actually very….. spritely , given his weight class and appearance, but he’s also no Sonic or C. Falcon. His speed alone isn’t what get’s him into your space. As far as I can tell, Luma and patience is all you really need to keep him at bay, just keep Luma jabs going and react to anything he does to try to get around them.

The thing that I think tilts the MU a little bit back to even is that Wario he doesn’t lack Luma killing ability. Pretty much all his moves knock Luma around pretty hard and quite a few seem to get better priority. If he does slip into your space for a second then whatever he does to your shield frequently sends Luma over the edge even if you get to punish him. And once Luma is gone I think Wario IS nimble enough to totally get all up in SoRo’s face. When they’re both right next to each other Wario definitely has the upper hand and can go to town and back again.

I actually personally have never thought of the bike as a big issue. Once Wario jumps on it his mobility is extremely limited. He’s stuck moving in one horizontal line or ejecting out of it with a jump. In general just short hopping towards it lets you get off air attacks on him safely/force him to eject, and large/ long lasting hit box moves like Rosa's dair of fair or even nair can sometimes be spaced so they cover both the area he would drive through and the area he ejects into trying to avoid getting hit. The bike seems most effective when it’s used by surprise at close range when Rosalina/whoever is expecting some other attack. Although maybe I just haven’t played against Warios who are using the bike well yet.

My instinct is to go 60:40 on this one but since I don’t know the matchup very well I’ll default closer to 50:50 and go with 55:45

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Meanwhile Rosalina is like, one of the best and probably THE best spacing character in the game. So that makes things pretty challenging for him. Granted Wario is actually very….. spritely , given his weight class and appearance, but he’s also no Sonic or C. Falcon. His speed alone isn’t what get’s him into your space. As far as I can tell, Luma and patience is all you really need to keep him at bay, just keep Luma jabs going and react to anything he does to try to get around them.
Can I just reiterate this and say that it's really freaking weird that Wario of all people is a pretty agile character, much less an air-focused one?

9Tales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
9Tales_of_Hoenn
Can I just reiterate this and say that it's really freaking weird that Wario of all people is a pretty agile character, much less an air-focused one?
I know right? In one way it's REALLY weird. Like look at that fat stubby guy you wouldn't expect him to.... move that way. And then in another way it's just so EXACTLY what Wario is. His movements just add to his.... "vibe"

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
I secondary Wario and have decent experience on both sides of the MU. Wario has great approach options vs Rosa when using a conjunction of Fair to punish SH Nair, Dash Attack to punish any aerial minus lag canceled RA Bair, falling Bite, jumping Bike, riding Bike to Bike lift on shield, FF Nair from above, etc. The unique part of the MU is Wario can put pressure from afar (using Bike), up front (Fair), and from above (Nair) when utilized intelligently. This makes Rosa really have to think about her walling options.

With that being said, Rosa has the options to successfully keep out Wario and that should be her main goal. Get an early lead and keep it. Try to control the center of the stage and don't lose Luma off the edge to a random Bike or SH retreating Bair.

The biggest problem for Rosa in this MU is Wario's weight and waft. Full charge rage waft kills Rosa easily at 20% and the half waft is nothing to scoff at either especially when backed up by rage.

The biggest problem for Wario in this MU is his lack of great kill options minus waft. He can't take advantage of Rosa's weight as long as she watches out for Ftilt and doesn't recover poorly into Dair.

Overall I think the MU is about even (50:50) if they both know what they are doing.

Edit: and I missed Bowser week but the 75:25 rating is laughably wrong (no offense meant). We obviously have great tools to abuse his size but Bowser's risk vs reward setups with Bair and Fsmash coupled with our weight brings the match up closer to being even. Also his jab is amazing at zoning and keeping Luma dead. Overall it should be much closer to 55:45 in Rosa's favor.

Edit 2: And to lend weight to my first edit so you guys don't think I'M laughably wrong lol... I'm a PR player from GA. Currently our top player plays solo Bowser and won the last tournament after triple 2 stocking our best Rosalina (who got 2nd) in the Bowser vs Rosa MU. Obviously he's a better player but MUs should be analyzed at the highest level of play for accuracy. I have extensive practice in the Bowser vs Rosa MU as he is my training partner. PM if you want me to go into more detail on the MU.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Just wanna note that Luma is heavily prone to the bike and is constantly pressured by it. If it gets hit by it near the ledge its practically dead. That's an option Wario has, even if it's not as easy as it sounds.

Micaelis pretty much nails it though. 50:50 sounds about right to me, if not slightly on Rosa's favor as Luma and disjoints are Wario's worst enemies, but he has ways around them.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Wario's discussion period is now over, so here's the ratio average for the Rosalina vs. Wario match-up.

:rosalina: [51:49] :4wario:

Rosalina has the advantage, but not by very much; it's almost perfectly even.

Next up, we'll analyze Rosalina's match-up against Bowser Jr. (and the Koopalings).

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Real talk, what is Bowser Jr.'s actual game plan?

That aside the cannonball is worthless because we can GPull it on reaction (seriously that ****'s slow) although the piercing cannonball custom is faster and barrels through Luma, so in a customs-legal environment that's something to watch for. The kart has super armor and I'm not sure we have anything to beat it outright. GPulling the Mechakoopa converts it to our side even if we don't pick it up afterward, but again he has a custom to mess with us on that front: Impatient Mechakoopa, which detonates so fast it's basically impossible to do anything other than shield.

He can eject from the clown car and go for hammer hits if we're above him so that's a new wrinkle in the "don't get juggled" plan. However he doesn't automatically get a new car when hit afterward, so gimping is potentially easier than usual. Kart to jump to aerial shenanigans are also tricky, like Sonic's spindash.

As a final note, Bowser Jr. has a unique mechanic where he takes less damage if you hit the clown car and more damage if you hit him directly. So something like SH nair or throw > fair will do more damage than usual.

I want to say we have a slight advantage, 60:40.

(Also how the hell does Wendy stop those bracelets from falling off her arms?)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom