• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Rosalina Match-Up Analysis (Obsolete & Succeeded)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Apparently, the Rosalina vs. Peach analysis wasn't quite as big as the Rosalina vs. Yoshi one. Anyway, week 4 has come and gone, and the match-up ratio average has been determined.

:rosalina: [50:50] :4peach:

Basically, it could go either way.

Next up, for week 5, we'll be analyzing Rosalina's match-up against the "King of Second Bananas". Kidding, it's just Luigi.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
While I really don't have enough experience in the matchup, I wanted to know how you guys react to and punish the tornado. It feels like such a good move to avoid edgeguards, and engage the moment you commit to anything. It seems completely unreasonable to forever remain grounded so you can shield at any given moment the Luigi decides to tornado in, so I often find it hard go get any momentum going. Any tips?

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Apparently, the Rosalina vs. Peach analysis wasn't quite as big as the Rosalina vs. Yoshi one. Anyway, week 4 has come and gone, and the match-up ratio average has been determined.

:rosalina: [50:50] :4peach:

Basically, it could go either way.

Next up, for week 5, we'll be analyzing Rosalina's match-up against the "King of Second Bananas". Kidding, it's just Luigi.

Gosh, can't believe only me @#HBC | Bunzy , and @Dark.Pch made a matchup point.................

Luigi is quite similiar as Mario in many ways(since he used to be a clone of Mario back in SSB), in Sm4sh however, Luigi has more changes than Mario. He Jump higher, are has a more dashing lag, and a more powerful side Smash and Final Smash. After patch 1.0.4, Luigi is one of the character that buffs up the most.
Compare to Mario Rosalina might have a bit trouble against Luigi, some of his comes fast, and Luigi tornado can be a big distract. But I think Rosalina still has more advantage on air than Luigi since she has more range.

This is my analysis so far.
I give 60:40. In this matchup, Luigi is slightly more better than Mario.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
luigi can punish out of dthrow for days... normally as rosa i'd take platform stages, but not against luigi. he getts more out of platforms than we do with his combo game. his tornado can safely kill luma if we shield it. i am fairly certain we can fsmash him out of tornado. our down air works in the right circumstances as an edgeguard, but not always. his upB has a tendency to steal my jumps.. it can be tricky edgeguarding him, but not impossible. he's fairly vulnerable after his side B.

the best advice is, dont get grabbed, dont get punished. luigi's approach game is really his downfall here. play it safe, use your disjoints to space and luma as a buffer. once luigi gets you in a dthrow i think the best DI you can hope for is towards Luigi, it means his only guaranteed followup is bair. if you're at too high of percent, don't do towards, bair can kill. but at low percents bair will just knock you far enough away from luigi to avoid further combos. expect a lot of grabs coming from luigi, and react accordingly. don't leave yourself open at all, don't take any big risks.

his nair negates our uthrow to utilt, his foot clashes with luma and he can DI away from rosa's halo. same goes for uair, only hit with hte halo, don't hit with luma, his nair will clash with luma every time.

i think the MU ratio depends on the player. a more patient rosa will beat out luigi, 70:30. a more aggressive rosa would probably be the opposite.

Last edited:

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
@ icraq icraq : I'm confused here. You first said 70:30, and then you went 30:70. Am I to assume that you're saying that it's a 50:50 match-up?
I don't think there's necessarily an inherent advantage for one character or another here, so maybe 50:50, but it'd be moreso based on playstyle. I think someone that plays a really strong defensive Rosalina will excel in this MU, as opposed to a more aggressive Rosalina who will definitely suffer. Luigi's punish game is just too good, it's probably the best in the game.

To me it's not really clear cut which character would have the advantage, it'd depend heavily on the player.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't think there's necessarily an inherent advantage for one character or another here, so maybe 50:50, but it'd be moreso based on playstyle. I think someone that plays a really strong defensive Rosalina will excel in this MU, as opposed to a more aggressive Rosalina who will definitely suffer. Luigi's punish game is just too good, it's probably the best in the game.

To me it's not really clear cut which character would have the advantage, it'd depend heavily on the player.
Very well, I'll just put you down as 50:50.

Klaxon

Smash Rookie
We have the tools to beat his fireball, and his super jump punch as a kill move is a no-go because we have effective ways of keeping him out (tilts and luma.) however, his tornado is iffy because while it does have some punishable endlag it has great trapping properties to kill luma. Does anyone know if his tornado can be stopped with starbits, or does it have some kind of armor?
On kill moves, I feel like lungi wins with his great f-smash and dair/fair (can't remember which one cause I always mix up the bros.) he has good damage racking ability with fair chains, which outside of air dodging are hard to escape because our aerials aren't as quick as his.
Overall I feel like the matchup is in his favor slightly (55:45?) just because he seems to better kill options than we do, but then again I'm relatively new to the series. My cousin has a good luigi, though, so I have some experience playing against him.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Gosh, can't believe only me @#HBC | Bunzy , and @Dark.Pch made a matchup point.................

Luigi is quite similiar as Mario in many ways(since he used to be a clone of Mario back in SSB), in Sm4sh however, Luigi has more changes than Mario. He Jump higher, are has a more dashing lag, and a more powerful side Smash and Final Smash. After patch 1.0.4, Luigi is one of the character that buffs up the most.
Compare to Mario Rosalina might have a bit trouble against Luigi, some of his comes fast, and Luigi tornado can be a big distract. But I think Rosalina still has more advantage on air than Luigi since she has more range.

This is my analysis so far.
I give 60:40. In this matchup, Luigi is slightly more better than Mario.
Ahem.

I know jack all about the Luigi matchup, but his back throw does the spinny thing and hits Luma away as a matter of course. Something to think about I guess.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Fun fact of the day:

Luigi's back throw isn't nearly as good as Mario / Wario's in killing Luma. At low percents ( Luma percents? Health? ) Luma simply flinches, and it took me eight consecutive backthrows before Luma was even launched, and even then it was significantly less far than a Mario / Wario back throw from 0%. It's just another weird Luigi fact to remember. *The more you know*

Last edited:

iFezZz

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0044-3936-7335
Luigi gets wrecked, there isn't much he can do. Spacing goes to Rosa, juggling goes to Rosa, and Edge Guarding goes to Rosa, I would say that Luigi can combo a little and maybe get a sneaky kill, but thats it.
70-30 Rosalina would be the way I see it and I have sat down and played the match up a few times.

On that note, I would love to play you guys to get more practice in this matchup.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Ahem.

I know jack all about the Luigi matchup, but his back throw does the spinny thing and hits Luma away as a matter of course. Something to think about I guess.
Oh yeah, better beware of that.

Yams Everywhere

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-1934-0304
I'd give this matchup 60/40, rosa's favor. One of my main practice partners mains luigi, so I'm pretty familiar with this MU. As iqrac previously stated, a defensive rosa does much better than an offensive one. You can outspace luigi with aerials, but be careful when you use them because luigi can get in a quick aerial to either beat out or trade with your attempted aerial. I also find that doing the advancing jab wall that dabuz does does an excellent job at keeping luigi out. You can harass him with starbits or an f-tilt. If he commits to a jump, luma can hit him with an up tilit or you can do a RAR nair to slap him away. Though without luma, your zoning options become greatly hindered. Your best option for keeping him out at that point are the nair walls to jab/ pivot grab to cover the attempted punish. When juggling luigi, watch out for the nair that comes out almost immediately. It'll most likely reverse the juggling situation and with all of luigi's aerial prowess, it can be tough returning. Without luma, luigi's down throw becomes even more potent. At earlier percentages, he has a plethora of follow ups out of down throw and he can rack up some quik damage. At later percentages, luigi can down throw cyclone and it kills at around 90%. Both characters can harass each other off stage, but rosalina has an easier time doing so and can do it in a more effective manner. Luigi can go for a quick bair stage spike as your trying to recover, so be prepared to tech. He can also go for the cyclone spike but due to rosalina's great recovery, it isn't too effective until later percents. Rosalina can gimp luigi pretty easily, you just have to respect the side b and cyclone. After luigi does a side b, he's pretty vulnerable to either a dair or bair. If he attempts to go for the cyclone, you just have to wait for it and punish it with a dair spike. In conclusion, rosa wins in the nuetral and offstage, but luigi can rack up damage easier and doesn't get juggled as hard. Both of their killing power is around the same, so it's not a big deal there. 60/40 IMO, rosalina's favor.

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
I agree with 60/40.

Rosalina can outrange Luigi bad, and Luma is just..... what? Heck, how many times my Fireballs has pelted his tiny body yet it STILL not dead? Thank the 52 HP for that.

However, aside from Rosalina's obvious advantages, Luigi can also harrass Rosalina bad. His Cyclone, while it leaves him vunerable, can take the Luma with him, and is his punish options. Spotdodge, punished. Roll, punished. Shield is your only option.

Oh, and if he takes away the Luma, Rosalina is much more vunerable to his approach, and there is ALWAYS an unwritten rule when fighting Luigi, unless you are Master/Crazy Hand or Master Core (Except Master Shadow), and that is......

AT ALL FREAKING COST, DO NOT GIT GRABBED!

Luigi racks up damage like no one's business, and his attacks are all quick. Get grabbed at 0%, 24% guaranteed. Plus, his aerials are much faster than Rosalina's, and thanks to Rosalina's tall frame and floatiness, Luigi can control the air as long as he attacks quick enough.

And another thing, he has tons of KO moves. He is very unpredictable also. Plus, Rosalina is a deadly combination of tall, light yet floaty. Luigi's B-air is his insta-smash attack in the air, as long as he sweetspot it.

Overall, Rosalina must keep Luigi under control and don't fall to his tricks. He want you to approach him, and if he manages to get in, he is scary. Rosalina wins because she has better mobility and range, and also great recovery that is almost ungimpable by Luigi, and her juggling hits hard.

However, she must be careful when gimping Luigi, hitting him while he is using Green Missile won't work as long as he has his double jump. Gimp his Luigi Cyclone, and he is almost likely not coming back. However, gimping Luigi Cyclone IS a problem, considering on how fast and high he rises. Just don't get caught in that Cyclone.

60/40 in Rosalina's favor IMO. Due to her advantages over him, and Luma is preventing him from getting in. But when he gets in.....

I cannot imagine.

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I'd give this matchup 60/40, rosa's favor. One of my main practice partners mains luigi, so I'm pretty familiar with this MU. As iqrac previously stated, a defensive rosa does much better than an offensive one. You can outspace luigi with aerials, but be careful when you use them because luigi can get in a quick aerial to either beat out or trade with your attempted aerial. I also find that doing the advancing jab wall that dabuz does does an excellent job at keeping luigi out. You can harass him with starbits or an f-tilt. If he commits to a jump, luma can hit him with an up tilit or you can do a RAR nair to slap him away. Though without luma, your zoning options become greatly hindered. Your best option for keeping him out at that point are the nair walls to jab/ pivot grab to cover the attempted punish. When juggling luigi, watch out for the nair that comes out almost immediately. It'll most likely reverse the juggling situation and with all of luigi's aerial prowess, it can be tough returning. Without luma, luigi's down throw becomes even more potent. At earlier percentages, he has a plethora of follow ups out of down throw and he can rack up some quik damage. At later percentages, luigi can down throw cyclone and it kills at around 90%. Both characters can harass each other off stage, but rosalina has an easier time doing so and can do it in a more effective manner. Luigi can go for a quick bair stage spike as your trying to recover, so be prepared to tech. He can also go for the cyclone spike but due to rosalina's great recovery, it isn't too effective until later percents. Rosalina can gimp luigi pretty easily, you just have to respect the side b and cyclone. After luigi does a side b, he's pretty vulnerable to either a dair or bair. If he attempts to go for the cyclone, you just have to wait for it and punish it with a dair spike. In conclusion, rosa wins in the nuetral and offstage, but luigi can rack up damage easier and doesn't get juggled as hard. Both of their killing power is around the same, so it's not a big deal there. 60/40 IMO, rosalina's favor.
I agree with 60/40.

Rosalina can outrange Luigi bad, and Luma is just..... what? Heck, how many times my Fireballs has pelted his tiny body yet it STILL not dead? Thank the 52 HP for that.

However, aside from Rosalina's obvious advantages, Luigi can also harrass Rosalina bad. His Cyclone, while it leaves him vunerable, can take the Luma with him, and is his punish options. Spotdodge, punished. Roll, punished. Shield is your only option.

Oh, and if he takes away the Luma, Rosalina is much more vunerable to his approach, and there is ALWAYS an unwritten rule when fighting Luigi, unless you are Master/Crazy Hand or Master Core (Except Master Shadow), and that is......

AT ALL FREAKING COST, DO NOT GIT GRABBED!

Luigi racks up damage like no one's business, and his attacks are all quick. Get grabbed at 0%, 24% guaranteed. Plus, his aerials are much faster than Rosalina's, and thanks to Rosalina's tall frame and floatiness, Luigi can control the air as long as he attacks quick enough.

And another thing, he has tons of KO moves. He is very unpredictable also. Plus, Rosalina is a deadly combination of tall, light yet floaty. Luigi's B-air is his insta-smash attack in the air, as long as he sweetspot it.

Overall, Rosalina must keep Luigi under control and don't fall to his tricks. He want you to approach him, and if he manages to get in, he is scary. Rosalina wins because she has better mobility and range, and also great recovery that is almost ungimpable by Luigi, and her juggling hits hard.

However, she must be careful when gimping Luigi, hitting him while he is using Green Missile won't work as long as he has his double jump. Gimp his Luigi Cyclone, and he is almost likely not coming back. However, gimping Luigi Cyclone IS a problem, considering on how fast and high he rises. Just don't get caught in that Cyclone.

60/40 in Rosalina's favor IMO. Due to her advantages over him, and Luma is preventing him from getting in. But when he gets in.....

I cannot imagine.
Wow, looks like my 60:40 isn't wrong afterall.
Nice analysis folks.

Last edited:

Nadeko Sengoku

Nadeko da yo!
We have the tools to beat his fireball, and his super jump punch as a kill move is a no-go because we have effective ways of keeping him out (tilts and luma.) however, his tornado is iffy because while it does have some punishable endlag it has great trapping properties to kill luma. Does anyone know if his tornado can be stopped with starbits, or does it have some kind of armor?
His cyclone can be beaten by star bits, down tilt with luma, forward tilt with luma, Up air (rosa alone), down air (rosa alone), and f smash from my experience

A_male_platypus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Platypusaurus
I play Rosalina against Samboner's Luigi pretty frequently on wifi, and I can say that the match up is in my opinion 50/50. Luigi can juggle you really easily because of how floaty Rosalina is, and the fireballs stop a lot of Luma's actions. Luigi is still very easy to gimp however, and Dair is your best friend in this fight.

Rosalina PROS:
-Can juggle Luigi like most characters with Utits/Uairs
-Can gimp really easily (Luigi's often try to sideB to the stage, and then recover up from very low. A well placed Dair can ruin a Luigi's day)
-Relatively early KO's because Luigi is kind of light and Luma has godly knockback
-Extra safe poke because Luigi slides so much. You can space with Bair's just watch out for fireballs

CONS:
-Fireballs take too long to gravitational pull, and stop a lot of Luma's attacks.
-Fireballs zone very well and are relatively safe. Don't try to shoot Luma through them, try to put Luigi in a position where it's risky to throw fireballs.
-You will get juggled
-Luigi's Usmash is very powerful
-Watch out for Dthrow > UpB! SHORYUKEN! Rosalina's floatiness makes it easier for Luigi to land this
-Luigi's jab is very fast and Luma hates being slapped in the face.

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
And also, Rosalina is the easiest character to D-throw + Luigi Cyclone. She is tall (Big hitbox), floaty (She is less likely to fall outta Cyclone), and light (She can be killed easily by this alone).

It all depends on who gets in, really. But I think Rosalina has better time due to better range and THAT. LUMA!

And also, I am curious. Luigi has a weight value of 97, while Mario has 98. Does one point difference is THAT big? I have seen people saying Luigi is light.

And also, get ready to either jump or fall when gimping Luigi. Luigis that see this coming may decide to Cyclone up high, prep your F-air or B-air if you see this coming as well.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
And also, Rosalina is the easiest character to D-throw + Luigi Cyclone. She is tall (Big hitbox), floaty (She is less likely to fall outta Cyclone), and light (She can be killed easily by this alone).

It all depends on who gets in, really. But I think Rosalina has better time due to better range and THAT. LUMA!

And also, I am curious. Luigi has a weight value of 97, while Mario has 98. Does one point difference is THAT big? I have seen people saying Luigi is light.

And also, get ready to either jump or fall when gimping Luigi. Luigis that see this coming may decide to Cyclone up high, prep your F-air or B-air if you see this coming as well.
Yes, light is Rosalina's weakpoint, but her attacks can deal great damage with Luma. Luigi seems to jump higher, and hard to break when dashing.

TriTails

Smash Lord
Still, she must not be grabbed at all costs. D-throw + Luigi Cyclone can KO her quite early. Around 90%?

Rosalina has lower jump height than Luigi, technically. But when you make them both jump, you'll see their heads are on the same height in full hops.

If it weren't for Luma, this MU would be even IMO. But since it's there, 60/40 seems reasonable.

Chuva

Smash Apprentice
I play regularly with two Luigi players, so I'll participate in this round:

50:50

Rosalina is really prone to Luigi's combos and juggles due to her frame and physics. Cyclone, Dash Attack, Fsmash ad Fair are all good at dealing with Luma and once without Luma Rosa is easy for Luigi to rushdown. Fireballs are not a big problem but also shouldn't be ignored as they cover his approaches and you shouldn't let Luma eat too many of them. Overall Luigi just gets too much reward once he is in, easily outdamaging Rosalina in a single good read.

However, Rosalina does outrange Luigi and can cover a lot of his approaches. Once you put Luigi in the air his floaty physics and predictable options for landing (usually Cyclone and Nair) means Rosalina can go for reads and press the advantage really well. Offstage is also problematic for Luigi, specially the ones that like to recover low, but if you force him to recover high, he now has to deal with Rosalina's juggling which is also unfavorable.

In the end it's all about patience. Luigi tends to become quite predictable so act accordingly to the player's habits. Do not hesitate in trying to reset to neutral once he gets his game going because trades are usually in his favor.

9Tales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
9Tales_of_Hoenn
Are there requirements for contributing a vote? (I'm a pretty new member so)

If not I'd like to say that in a very general sense, I think Rosalina's match up with any given character are largely based on that Character's ability to take out Luma in a safe/ cost effective way. Basically if the character has moves that can act largely in Rosalina's shield area while also avoiding getting punished (for instance a dash attack that goes through to the other side of a shielding Rosalina and has minimal lag) or if they have moves that just get tons of priority over Luma, or if they're really good at applying fast paced offensive pressure such that it's gets tough to multi task Luma's life while also keeping Rosalina alive.

Obviously there's a lot more at play but I tend to think of that as the defining feature that makes you good at fighting Rosalina & Luma and makes the match a lot more interesting/challenging as a Rosalina player.

That said I don't think Luigi has any strong advantages over Rosalina in an even match. Luigi has a lot of nice combos he can string together easier on a character of Rosalina's size and floaty-ness but Rosalina has very little trouble playing her spacing game with Luigi. In my experience Luigi has a hard time putting enough offensive pressure on Rosalina because his one consistatnly safe way through Luma (Tornado) becomes predictable and punishable, I think Rosalina can generally play to Luma's strength's against Luigi and so I'd be inclined to go for a 65:35 match up in Rosa+Luma's favor

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Are there requirements for contributing a vote? (I'm a pretty new member so)

If not I'd like to say that in a very general sense, I think Rosalina's match up with any given character are largely based on that Character's ability to take out Luma in a safe/ cost effective way. Basically if the character has moves that can act largely in Rosalina's shield area while also avoiding getting punished (for instance a dash attack that goes through to the other side of a shielding Rosalina and has minimal lag) or if they have moves that just get tons of priority over Luma, or if they're really good at applying fast paced offensive pressure such that it's gets tough to multi task Luma's life while also keeping Rosalina alive.

Obviously there's a lot more at play but I tend to think of that as the defining feature that makes you good at fighting Rosalina & Luma and makes the match a lot more interesting/challenging as a Rosalina player.

That said I don't think Luigi has any strong advantages over Rosalina in an even match. Luigi has a lot of nice combos he can string together easier on a character of Rosalina's size and floaty-ness but Rosalina has very little trouble playing her spacing game with Luigi. In my experience Luigi has a hard time putting enough offensive pressure on Rosalina because his one consistatnly safe way through Luma (Tornado) becomes predictable and punishable, I think Rosalina can generally play to Luma's strength's against Luigi and so I'd be inclined to go for a 65:35 match up in Rosa+Luma's favor
Nope, just like this, you post your own analysis, or even videos of that matchup. And then give this matchup a rating! No requirements( Also remind you this matchup is in a supposed of that both Rosalina and it's matchup character are in their best strategy state, nor of them are weak)!
And you can also comment on other users analysis of the matchup of course!
Rate in X5:X5 ight give trouble for calcualating the total rating if their are many users who rated this, but I just recomend you to stay in X0:X0. It might be more easier to calculate like this, but you don't really need to change for now.
If you have anything to share about Rosalina, be sure to go to Rosalina's General Discussion Thread. And Artwork Thread, and screenshot thread!
http://smashboards.com/threads/moth...scussion-thread.324285/page-122#post-18305474
http://smashboards.com/threads/rosalina-artwork-thread.376396/
http://smashboards.com/threads/rosalina-snapshots-thread.382031/

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
One advantage Luigi has over Rosalina is his attack speed is absurd. All of his attacks comes out fast (Except for D-air and Green Missile) and his aerials jas low end lag. He also kills her quite easily.

Another is his ability to combo. He can rack up damage very quickly, and since Rosalina is the 4th lightest character (Seriously, isn't she like, 7.7 feet tall?), and his damage output is also quite strong. He can crush Rosalina in a few approaches if he knows what he is doing.

That said. IF he can approach, which is hard, since he has trouble approaching AND there's Luma. Luigi must get rid of Luma quickly and rack up damage on Rosalina as hard as possible. Thing is, Rosalina herself is quite strong....

If Luigi is patient, he can just stand and pelt Luma with his Fireballs, bit by bit reducing its health. Luma Shot gets stopped by Fireball also, and Luigi's jabs does quite a damage (10%, and it's FAST!) and deals pretty great knockback at the third hit, so he may be able to jab Luma a few times.

Spamming Fireballs CAN take out Luma, but that's rather cheap. But it's not like Rosalina can stop it.... without leaving herself vunerable. I think when Rosalina does her Gravitational Pull, Luigi can just Cyclone in. Cyclone's ground mobility is fast, but I am not sure, never tried it. Yeah, just a theory.

One of Luigi's main weapons is his unpredictability, and he does it quite well. Not as well as Wario, but still great.

I am staying with my 60:40, Rosalina's favor.

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
I've played a bunch of good Luigi players, and I find the only thing that has given me some trouble is the cyclone. But the more I play against Luigi, the easier I find it to anticipate and escape from the cyclone, and I find him easier to deal with.

I think the match up is solidly in Rosalina's favor because she can outspace him, and Luigi doesn't have the speed to make up for that.

Luigi's fireball is not a big problem. Not because of gravitational pull, but because if Luigi wants to fireball camp, Luma can literally just absorb the hits as Rosalina closes the distance.

Rosalina can also gimp Luigi, and Luigi can't really do the same against Rosalina.

I'm going with 60:40 in Rosalina's favor.

Last edited:

Chef Kirby

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Kirby-Cook
One thing is that when Rosie hits his shield, He'll slide across the freaking stage. He can't even even punishher which is a big problem. I personally think that its 60 - 40 to Rosie

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Luigi's week has come and gone, and as such, I've averaged out all the ratios that were inputted for Rosalina vs. Luigi.

:rosalina: [57.27:42.73] :4luigi:

The match-up favors Rosalina slightly.

Now, it's time to discuss Rosalina's match-up against Diddy Kong.

On an additional note, after Diddy Kong's week is over, I'll likely be making some changes on how the schedule will operate.

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
:4diddy:60:40:rosalina:

I think Monkey Flip is a really big factor. It's a great Luma kill move, on top of being a great move in general. Monkey Flip also helps Diddy to avoid being juggled by Rosa's U-Airs. Diddy's Fair is an amazing move that can stop Rosa's Nair approach. Diddy also hits really hard and just kills Rosa at really early %s, both on the ground and in the air. Normally Rosa can handle hard hitters because they're really slow... but that's obviously not the case with Diddy.

On the plus side for Rosa, she can gravitational pull the banana... which can be modestly useful in certain situations. More importantly, Rosa can gimp Diddy pretty well, and Diddy can't really gimp Rosa. Beyond that, Rosa can hold her own in the match up by out-spacing Diddy, as long as Luma is around. Luma also is a nuisance at breaking up a lot of Diddy's little combos.

If Luma was never knocked off the stage, I might put the match at something like 55:45 in Rosa's favor. With Luma off the stage I'd put the match at 80:20 in Diddy's favor. So overall I'll say Diddy wins 60:40.

Last edited:

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
@ Iron Kraken Iron Kraken Diddy can't gimp Rosa? Anyone can gimp Rosa. I'm not 100% positive if he has any moves that are good for exploiting ledge snap vulnerability, I'm guessing dtilt or dsmash do. But he can at least dair or bair stage spike.

You're right about the rest I think, 60:40 in Diddy's favor. I don't think that's set in stone, but Diddy's ease at getting early KOs out of throw is a unique advantage. Not to mention Diddy's uair having invincibility meaning it's harder to beat in the air with dair.

Something that helps here is Diddy's banana/command grab/grab mindgame doesn't quite work the same vs Rosa. I think the strategy a lot of Diddys use is force their opponent into shield by threatening with a banana. However, bananas don't really threaten us when we have Luma since Luma blocks the banana, and properly spaced preemptive gravity pulls can possibly steal the banana or instantly trip Diddy if he throws it while GP is in effect. Also, jabs beat monkey flip when we have Luma. There's probably more to say here but I dunno.

Is gimping Diddy that easy as Rosa? I know it's possible but I rarely see the opportunity, it's rare a Diddy will just hang off the stage for that long, he's usually pretty quick. Might be a character to edgeguard a little differently, maybe using fair since it has a quicker startup than dair and long lasting hitboxes. I watched a match recently where luma ended up actually saving Diddy with fair though (since luma sends them straight up), so maybe not.

Something I'd llike to test with someone is figuring out the proper DI for dthrow uair. Any Rosas wanna sacrifice themselves?

Nadeko Sengoku

Nadeko da yo!
@ Iron Kraken Iron Kraken Diddy can't gimp Rosa? Anyone can gimp Rosa. I'm not 100% positive if he has any moves that are good for exploiting ledge snap vulnerability, I'm guessing dtilt or dsmash do. But he can at least dair or bair stage spike.

You're right about the rest I think, 60:40 in Diddy's favor. I don't think that's set in stone, but Diddy's ease at getting early KOs out of throw is a unique advantage. Not to mention Diddy's uair having invincibility meaning it's harder to beat in the air with dair.

Something that helps here is Diddy's banana/command grab/grab mindgame doesn't quite work the same vs Rosa. I think the strategy a lot of Diddys use is force their opponent into shield by threatening with a banana. However, bananas don't really threaten us when we have Luma since Luma blocks the banana, and properly spaced preemptive gravity pulls can possibly steal the banana or instantly trip Diddy if he throws it while GP is in effect. Also, jabs beat monkey flip when we have Luma. There's probably more to say here but I dunno.

Is gimping Diddy that easy as Rosa? I know it's possible but I rarely see the opportunity, it's rare a Diddy will just hang off the stage for that long, he's usually pretty quick. Might be a character to edgeguard a little differently, maybe using fair since it has a quicker startup than dair and long lasting hitboxes. I watched a match recently where luma ended up actually saving Diddy with fair though (since luma sends them straight up), so maybe not.

Something I'd llike to test with someone is figuring out the proper DI for dthrow uair. Any Rosas wanna sacrifice themselves?
We could play if you dont mind

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
A quick note:

I'm fairly sure Diddy's down tilt hits below the stage, and can even poke Rosalina if she's aiming directly for the edge. I've had it happen to me a few times, and it seems aiming just barely high enough is a means to stop it. It's nothing that will kill, but avoiding free hits is something to look out for in the matchup. I'll go ahead and double check this tomorrow when I make a longer post about the matchup.

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
@ icraq icraq True, anyone can gimp Rosa, I was being hyperbolic. But I find Diddy has a much harder time gimping Rosa compared to some other characters, like Sheik for example.

I agree that Diddy isn't easy to gimp (like Falcon, Mario), but he's also not terribly difficult to gimp (Sheik, ZSS). The opportunity is definitely there. Gimping Diddy is a different beast because you can't wait for him to approach the stage like with other characters. You have to really go out there and get him.

Overall I think Rosa can gimp Diddy more effectively than Diddy can gimp Rosa, so it's a point in Rosa's favor.

I also agree with Rosa not fearing the banana as other characters do, on multiple levels. Luma blocks the banana, Luma can still attack if Rosa trips on the banana, and Rosa can gravitational pull the banana. Pretty nifty anti-banana technology.

But yeah... Diddy's D-Throw to U-Air is a thing. It's absolutely crucial to use proper DI against Diddy's D-Throw.

Last edited:

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
i did some testing with @ Nadeko Sengoku Nadeko Sengoku and around 85% DI didn't matter, Diddy's gonna uair you and you're gonna die. around 100% it seems you're able to escape the combo.

i believe with rage effect this number is probably closer to 70%.

so uh, dont get grabbed. tried spamming luma aerials to hit diddy before he can uair, nothing worked. using luma's uair works alright at lower percents to break combos post dthrow.

rosa's usmash will beat monkey kick or trade hits and it can be performed on reaction, depending if it hits rosa's invincible head. it likely will knock luma away, though it can simply clash with luma and pass through harmlessly.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

So I'm taking it that you too are saying 40:60 for Rosalina vs. Diddy?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
60:40 in Rosalina's favour for me.

Most of his "OP tricks" just don't seem to work that well on Rosalina.

And him using a banana is literally asking for a death wish, so he's best not using it at all, so one of his greatest assets is non-existent, assuming the player is aware that he shouldn't use the bananas. If the player does consistently try to use bananas as he would on other characters though, Rosalina has won.

He has a more difficult time grabbing Rosalina than other characters too since he has to go through Luma. And in general, just stay in the air if you can.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Luigi's week has come and gone, and as such, I've averaged out all the ratios that were inputted for Rosalina vs. Luigi.

:rosalina: [57.27:42.73] :4luigi:

The match-up favors Rosalina slightly.

Now, it's time to discuss Rosalina's match-up against Diddy Kong.

On an additional note, after Diddy Kong's week is over, I'll likely be making some changes on how the schedule will operate.
I seen a couple of Diddy vs Rosalina videos, Diddy kong is just wicked in air, even better than Rosalina, since everyone regarding Diddy kong OP these days, we've shouldn't be surprised that Rosalina is not good agaist Diddy.

I give 30:70

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom