• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

35 or 48 characters? What do you believe?

Kittah4

Smash Ace
It's so polarizing.

35 seems like an underwhelming nightmare since most of the characters that we dont know about will be veterans.

48 sounds like a dream, the roster will be chock full of more of the characters on Sakurai's poll.

Of course I hope for 48.

Kn1ght Of Cydonia

Smash Rookie
35 would be outrageously low with all things considered. Just do the math:

We have 25 confirmed on the dojo so far. Add to that Captain Falcon, Luigi, Ganny, Lucario, Jigglypuff, Ness, and Game and Watch. That brings us up to 32. Now, I'd say that Falco and Marth are likely but not confirmed/deconfirmed, so that would take us to 34*. If that were the case, we'd have... one NEW secret character aside from Lucario (and thats assuming other vets are cut)? That'd be inexcusable. Even 3 is riddiculous considering how many characters were announced before release.

So assuming Sakurai doesn't want to let everyone down big time, I'm gonna lean more towards the 48 PC rumor (maybe a little less, but still in the 40s)

Ithilgore

Smash Apprentice
I see your point, but part of the reason why SSBM got so popular as a competitive game and lasted for so long was because of its balance. And it's not like the game wont be ridiculously fun if it "only" has 35 characters. That's still a lot more than Melee had.
Melee wasn't really that balanced in the end.

The Kirby Kong

Smash Journeyman
35 character roster is absolute bullcrap.

1. Melee was rushed, yet it managed to include double the amount of characters that Smash 64 had.

2. Brawl has more than DOUBLE the development time than Melee had.

3. Brawl has a MUCH BIGGER team working on it than Melee had.

4. Brawl has been DELAYED, TWICE!

5. The Smash Bros series is starting to become one of the most important series for Nintendo.

6. Sakurai and various other Nintendo reps have stated again and again that the amount of content in Brawl is insane. And judging by the trophies, stickers, assist trophies, pokeballs, past stages, the amount of starting characters... it's quite obvious that there will be plenty unlockables.

7. And last but not least, it's a fact that the characters are the selling point in the Smash Bros series. That's what the game is all about, seeing all those well known figures and getting that nostalgic feeling.

When you take all these points into consideration, you'll see that a 35 character roster would be INCREDIBLY STUPID, and would most likely disappoint a lot of people.

I honestly doubt Nintendo is stupid enough to oversee these things. I'm sure they're including plenty of characters, perhaps even more than we are expecting.... at least, that's what they're constantly hinting at.

And do you think they want to create false hope? Yeah, me neither.

EPX2

Smash Ace
I believe neither - I don't expect as few as 35, but I don't think we'll have as many as 48, either. I'm leaning more towards the middle, ~40 (with 42 as an exact prediction).

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
I hope for 48 is it. I mean he did say more characters than you can imagine.

Confirmed Veterans:

1. Mario
2. Link
3. Pikachu
4. Kirby
5. Fox
6. Samus
7. Zelda
8. Bowser
9. Donkey Kong
10. Yoshi
11. Peach
12. Ice Climbers
13. Shiek

Leaked Confirmed Veterans:

14. Jigglypuff
15. Ness

New Veterans:

16. Pit
17. Wario
18. Zero Suit Samus
19. Ike
20. Pokemon Trainer
21. Diddy Kong
22. Meta Knight
23. Snake
24. Lucas
25. Sonic
26. King Dedede
27. Pikmin & Olimar

Leaked Confirmed New Comer:

28. Lucario

So thats 28 so far technically 30 if you count Pokmeon trainer as 3.

Veterans I know that 100% be back with basic logic and no BS

29. Captain Falcon
30. Luigi
31. Ganondorf
32. Mr. Game & Watch

So thats 19 Veterans I believe will be returning, 13 New Comers will absolute know about it.

7 Characters I didn't List:

1. Marth
2. Roy
3. Falco
4. Young Link
5. Pichu
6. Mewtwo
7. Dr. Mario

I'm not sure which ones will come back and do to the Sticky thing dealing with Lucario and Jigglypuff and the lack of Mewtwo worries me he won't return. Falco seems like he would be a

shoe-in but who knows. Plus Marth seems like he would return but I have no clue.

Also can't forget Krystal either, her voice actor confirming she is in (which can be for anything) as another possible character

Though lets say all characters comeback, 39 characters right there, though we know that not all will be returning.

The possibilities are endless.

Though if it is at the 35 limit

Those 32 I listed above only leaves room for 3 new comers, UNLESS we count Pokemon Trainer as 3 meaning only room for 1 more new comer.

Plus the fact that some of the veterans I have listed may return as well meaning even less new comers.

ricydafrog

Smash Journeyman
i really believe 48, but if u r like me and go wit 48 it will be horrible when u find out there will only be 35.
what's up wit 35 anyway? it's such a round number, is it nintendo couldn't think of any more or is it that the 'prophets' couldn't

Bli33ard

Smash Journeyman
The more characters the merrier worse.

30-35 is the LIMIT. Back when the DOJO first started, I said 32 characters will be available to choose from the final/complete roster.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
i'm leaning towards 35 characters I'm expecting anywhere between 35-40 characters 48 characters is double what was in the last game and while it would be nice i doubt it.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Well of those two I'd actually choose the 48. But I can't say I believe either. Though I would lean more towards 48. My Problem with the 35 rumor.

1. Lacks some very popular characters, who were popular from the begining, Ridley, Krystal Wolf being in instead of her is a big thing too, no offense to Wolf, in fact he's my favorite star fox character. But Krystal has much higher popularity and Sakurai was obviously more interested in her.

2. I don't see why Sakurai would reveal all the new characters except like 2 prior to release. I mean if R.O.B, Lucario and Wolf were the only 3 new characters to be unlocked people would be disappointed, and Sakurai isn't dumb he knows better than that.

3. No more Third parties, while I'm not a big fan of third parties, it's obvious that a lot of people are. I'd be surprised if they only went with Sonic and Snake, it's possible but hard to imagine.

4. Rumors are rumors. I don't get why so many people are believing the 35 char rumor. It's like theallmightygoat round 2, a lot of people believed him....

Igneous42

Smash Ace
I think it may be 48.

With the leaked info about Lucario, Brawl is starting to look like it's going to be a fan's game. Meaning if a lot of people want that character, and they have a unique moveset, then they have a shot of getting in.

All Lucario had going for him really was fans. Yeah he is a fighting type pokemon, which is perfect for smash, but there are still other unique fighting type pokemon out there. So my theory is that if they scored high on the polls(Ridley and I hate to admit it Geno) they will most likely be in. And characters that either weren't on the polls or didn't score well but have a strong fan base(Wolf) they may be in too.

So basically in order to please fans and to get those characters that are popular and throw in one or two wtfs, 48 seems reasonable to me.
Good points I agree with this guy.
And of those two I'd actually choose the 48. But I can't say I believe either. Though I would lean more towards 48. My Problem with the 35 rumor.

1. Lacks some very popular characters, who were popular from the begining, Ridley, Krystal Wolf being in instead of her is a big thing too, no offense to Wolf, in fact he's my favorite star fox character. But Krystal has much higher popularity and Sakurai was obviously more interested in her.

2. I don't see why Sakurai would reveal all the new characters except like 4 prior to release. I mean if R.O.B, Lucario and Wolf were the only 3 new characters to be unlocked people would be disappointed, and Sakurai isn't dumb he knows better than that.

3. No more Third parties, while I'm not a big fan of third parties, it's obvious that a lot of people are. I'd be surprised if they only went with Sonic and Snake, it's possible but hard to imagine.

4. Rumors are rumors. I don't get why so many people are believing the 35 char rumor. It's like theallmightygoat round 2, a lot of people believed him....

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I see your point, but part of the reason why SSBM got so popular as a competitive game and lasted for so long was because of its balance. And it's not like the game wont be ridiculously fun if it "only" has 35 characters. That's still a lot more than Melee had.
A lot more? Nine characters is not "a lot more" especially when you consider how most of the true newcomers are in the starting roster and how Toon Link, Wolf, and Ness will probably be semi-clones at best. Also, Melee was far from balanced and there were definately character that had the upper hand in most cases.

Tiamat475

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai mentioned the content is pretty large in the Melee Stages Part 2 update, and I believe he mentioned it in another update? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I can tell you that for everyone working on this game, the amount of content has been surprising to say the least.
So...assuming he's focusing on adding more newcomers...48 IS possible, then again, he's also focusing more on other modes. I'll say it's more likely around 40 characters.

Yoshistar64

Smash Journeyman
I'm just going to say 48 because Sakurai is awesome. But anything above 30 is fine for me.

S2

Smash Lord
I don't believe either. The final roster could be anything and 35 just seems like a logical guess.

I really just doubt the 48 number though. Why? Because that simply seems like too many new characters than actually possible.

Unless we end up getting like 10-12 clone characters, then maybe. But for the amount of new content we already know about combined with any returning characters we haven't seen yet... the games size is already staggering.

Unless there is a ton of clones, I just don't see the dev time being enough to do 48 characters.

MajinNecro69

Smash Ace
35 is WAY too small. If I know Sakurai, he'll make this last game his best. He HAS to include at LEAST 40. 35 is NOT a ridiculously high amount, in fact, it's quite the opposite. If there truly ARE so many characters, make it look as such. Not 35 characters.

JoJoRukus

Smash Apprentice
One thing I can't understand is arguments AGAINST over 35 characters. Not the arguments supporting the source of the information or the likeliness of it, but rather those that are saying a roster above 35 would be bad. Why? What would you have to lose? You'd probably be maining one or two characters anyway.

Eh, I don't even care that much. In a while we'll be able to see what really happens and you'll either be content or disappointed, as will everyone everywhere.

Jacobcc

Smash Journeyman
Well heres a simple way of putting things..the more characters to enter the game the longer the delay will become. Seeing each character will have a final smash and special unique moves. But i would like to see at least 40 different playable characters.

iLink

Smash Champion
Ok lets look at it this way.

We have 25 confirmed on the dojo (counting two transformations)

Luigi, Ganon, and C. Falcon are sure to get in with no doubts so thats 28

The resent leak of Ness, Jigs, and Lucario brings this up to 31

35 is too small in my opinion, I believe there will be at least 1 more 3rd party rep and another character from star fox and fire emblem. My guess is somewhere like 40+ characters.

Chepe

Smash Lord
48 = people just like what they hear.
35 = 39 movesets total, and reason why Smash community will be made up of crybabies soon.

Chepe

Smash Lord
48 = people just like what they hear.
35 = 39 movesets total, and reason why Smash community will be made up of crybabies soon.

smash_lord1050

Smash Apprentice
i dont care what the roster size is. the main thing is that its more than melee and the charectars are better. but i would prefer at least 40.

platnum

Smash Lord
I say 48.

It would make everyone happy with it, as it would include most of the "high demand" characters.

Top Bottom