• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon characters for SSB4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103

Smash 64 consisted of two Pokemon characters: Pikachu and Jigglypuff

Smash Melee consisted of three Pokemon characters: Pikachu, Jigglypuff,Mewtwo, and Pichu,

Smash Brawl consisted of four Pokemon characters: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Lucario, and Pokemon Trainer.

Let's suppose that Smash 4 will consist of five Pokemon characters. What five Pokemons do you think will make it as Smash4 characters?

My prediction:
1- Pikachu (Obviously)
2- Jigglypuff, mainly because she maintained a perfect attendance since smash64
3- Pokemon Trainer, although I'm not a big fan of the PT idea in brawl, a lot of people loved the idea and are still rooting for him to be a character for SSB4.
4- Mewtwo, a lot of fans want him back. (Check the poll vote for mewtwo http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...poll-current-results-vote-on-new-poll.324324/)
5- Genesect or a new pokemon from X,Y with a huge fanbase

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Mewtwo wasn't in Melee? Somebody must have hacked him in. :troll:
Forgot about him xD, fixed it :p

Someone already made a thread like this one, so expect it to be locked or merged.

http://www.smashboards.com/threads/less-than-likely-pokemon-reps-thread.324301/
Actually my thread and that thread are different. My thread features pokemons that have a good chance to make it as SSB4 characters and that thread features pokemons that have a small chance of becoming SSB4 characters.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If any Generation 5 Pokémon I think it'll be Genesect. Much like Lucario had a movie, Genesect is also getting a movie, and in general he just seems to be the most hyped Gen 5 Pokémon except for the version mascots. Plus, he has plenty of moveset possibilities, especially since his signature move can change typing. I think Genesect would be really cool, especially if Mewtwo also returns. Plus, the character doesn't necessarily need to promote the current generation (which will be Generation 6 by then,) as shown with Pokémon Trainer who was promoting Fire Red/Leaf Green.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
If any Generation 5 Pokémon I think it'll be Genesect. Much like Lucario had a movie, Genesect is also getting a movie, and in general he just seems to be the most hyped Gen 5 Pokémon except for the version mascots. Plus, he has plenty of moveset possibilities, especially since his signature move can change typing. I think Genesect would be really cool, especially if Mewtwo also returns. Plus, the character doesn't necessarily need to promote the current generation (which will be Generation 6 by then,) as shown with Pokémon Trainer who was promoting Fire Red/Leaf Green.
Genesect does have a good chance of entering. However, let's suppose there is only 1 spot left of the roster, who do you think will take it? Mewtwo or Genesect, and why?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Genesect does have a good chance of entering. However, let's suppose there is only 1 spot left of the roster, who do you think will take it? Mewtwo or Genesect, and why?
That's a touch one. Generally I'd think Lucario will be thrown out in favor of Mewtwo in his Awakening Forme, with his original form as an alternate costume, with Genesect also added. However, if I can choose only one, it must be Mewtwo, because he's the protagonist of the upcoming movie, and they seem to always have a bigger chance at getting in. Though that'd mean we'd get a returning character rather than a newcomer. To counter that though they have the new form, which will also represent Generation 6. So out of those two I think Mewtwo has the biggest chance.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
That's a touch one. Generally I'd think Lucario will be thrown out in favor of Mewtwo in his Awakening Forme, with his original form as an alternate costume, with Genesect also added. However, if I can choose only one, it must be Mewtwo, because he's the protagonist of the upcoming movie, and they seem to always have a bigger chance at getting in. Though that'd mean we'd get a returning character rather than a newcomer. To counter that though they have the new form, which will also represent Generation 6. So out of those two I think Mewtwo has the biggest chance.
I think the newform-Mewtwo will have a higher chance as well. However, do you think that Genesect will have enough popularity to make him overthrow Lucario and take his spot?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think the newform-Mewtwo will have a higher chance as well. However, do you think that Genesect will have enough popularity to make him overthrow Lucario and take his spot?
Possibly, since he's literally the Lucario of Gen 5. Sure, people might like Zoroark, but he was never as popular as Lucario was, Genesect is gaining fame. Lucario just isn't popular anymore, currently he is just like every other Pokémon, his popularity came from his movie and the fact that he was one of the first Gen 4 Pokémon to be revealed, those times are over, Pokémon is constantly updated and new Pokémon always take the spotlight, I think it's time for Genesect to shine. Though, as I said before, I still think Mewtwo has the biggest chance.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Genesect is gaining fame. Lucario just isn't popular anymore, currently he is just like every other Pokémon.
Genesect is gaining popularity? Are you sure? Of course he's being heavily promoted, but is he that popular now?

I agree Zoroark never reached Lucario's level of popularity, but I think he's more popular than Genesect at least.

And by the way, Lucario is still popular. He continues to get some promotion, be it the Lucario figurine that come with Pokémon Rumble or a man in a Lucario Suit appearing on Pokémon Sunday.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
To be fair, I believe Zoroark is being set up to return in the anime as well as the new Japanese Pokemon anime intro if that counts. (If the guy in a Lucario suit thing counts then I assume that the answer is yes.)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Genesect is gaining popularity? Are you sure? Of course he's being heavily promoted, but is he that popular now?

I agree Zoroark never reached Lucario's level of popularity, but I think he's more popular than Genesect at least.

And by the way, Lucario is still popular. He continues to get some promotion, be it the Lucario figurine that come with Pokémon Rumble or a man in a Lucario Suit appearing on Pokémon Sunday.
Well I'll admit to the fact that I don't follow Rumble or the Sunday show, but it's mostly because I've seen next to no talk about him from fans since Gen 5 launched. Since then Zoroark has gained some popularity, while people are hyping up Genesect right now. But I guess it depends on what community you're hanging with. I don't doubt that Zoroark has a chance either, but as it stands, I'd say he and Genesect are quite even in popularity amongst fans.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Possibly, since he's literally the Lucario of Gen 5. Sure, people might like Zoroark, but he was never as popular as Lucario was, Genesect is gaining fame. Lucario just isn't popular anymore, currently he is just like every other Pokémon, his popularity came from his movie and the fact that he was one of the first Gen 4 Pokémon to be revealed, those times are over, Pokémon is constantly updated and new Pokémon always take the spotlight, I think it's time for Genesect to shine. Though, as I said before, I still think Mewtwo has the biggest chance.
To be honest, I think Genesect has a greater chance than Lucario to be a character in SSB4. Although, I still think Lucario is more popular.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
I guess you could consider pokemon trainer as one character.

I'm thinking that we wont get Zoroark, which is alright with me. Not really liking most of the 'possible' recent choices. So I'm curious what we will see from the new gen.

I'm hoping mewtwo comes back (although they might try to stick us with mewthree/new form), and out of the current options for a new rep... I'd have to go with meowth. Since he's an icon of the series... (maybe eevee if they do something inventive, since the eevee line is so popular). Another trainer is possible, but who knows what they'd pick if they were to do another one.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
If I had to pick five pokemon that I think will make it I would say: Pikachu, Jiggs, Trainer, Mewtwo, and Zoroak. I think Lucario will be cut and Mewtwo will take his place. Honestly, I think there will be only four pokemon: Pikachu, Jiggs, Trainer (although the trainer comes with three movsets) and the return of Mewtwo.

splat

Smash Lord

I would like to stress this. There's these figures getting sold (in gachapon machines) in Japan that can be used Skylanders-style in Pokémon Rumble U - you put this figure on your GamePad and it'll appear in the game. There's one set released at this moment, a second coming may 25th. Each set exists of six figures and a special seventh. The first set is composed of Bulbasaur, Pikachu, Torchic, Piplup, Victini and Lucario (and a shiny Pikachu as the special seventh). These Pokémon seem to be very popular: the first Pokémon; the face of Pokémon; two starters that gained lots of popularity via the anime, where they were used by Ash' female companions; the latest Mew-alike; and Lucario.
The second set seems to be composed of Pokémon that are quite popular but not as much as the first four: Eevee, Mewtwo, Croagunk, Zoroark, Litwick and Genesect. In case you're wondering why Croagunk is on there: he is used as comic relief, being the Pokémon that drags Brock away from the 'pretty ladies'. I have no idea why Litwick, though.
Simply stating that Lucario is more popular because he appears in a set before Zoroark and Genesect is too easy, but there's more. I remember fondly how, when I went to see the first Pokémon movie in the cinema, I got this Mew promo card. They're pretty much doing the same thing with these figures, releasing promo figures. At this moment, there's two known: Pikachu, of course - and Lucario.

Then there's also him appearing in Pokémon Sunday, as FalKoopa said.

That being said (and my apologies for the semi-wall of text), I don't think Lucario is going anywhere - especially since there was quite the uproar when Mewtwo was cut from the roster.

My guess (and I'm feeling quite certain about it):
1. Pikachu
2. Jigglypuff
3. Pokémon Trainer
4. Lucario
5. Mewtwo (with his Awakened forme as his Final Smash)

My backups would be, in this order:
6. Genesect
7. Generation 6 Pokémon
8. Zoroark

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Genesect would make an interesting pokemon fighter. In fact, I think there are many pokemon who offer up unique potential. I would love a Pokemon only version of Smash.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
5. Mewtwo (with his Awakened forme as his Final Smash)
To be honest, I don't see the classic mewtwo as a candidate that will most likely be a playable character. I see his awakened form as his main form for a candidate that will make it in and not his classic form. However, his final smash might transform make him perform a powerful attack, so powerful that it will tire down mewtwo back into his classic form (like how samus turns to ZSS). Mewtwo's classic form may be accessed as well as a seperate character, but the chances of that happening isn't as high as making his awakened form his only form.

splat

Smash Lord
There is not enough difference between the two forms to warrant separate characters. The new forme is probably mainly aesthetic with some minor stat changes, and even if he'll be learning some new moves they're still too similar to be a two characters. Seeing as the latest formes that were revealed in different games than the initial Pokémon was (Black/White Kyurem, Resolute Keldeo) have better stats than the initial forme, I'm assuming his Awakened forme will be too - which makes it a perfect for as his Final Smash (which didn't exist in the Melee era, either).

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
There is not enough difference between the two forms to warrant separate characters. The new forme is probably mainly aesthetic with some minor stat changes, and even if he'll be learning some new moves they're still too similar to be a two characters. Seeing as the latest formes that were revealed in different games than the initial Pokémon was (Black/White Kyurem, Resolute Keldeo) have better stats than the initial forme, I'm assuming his Awakened forme will be too - which makes it a perfect for as his Final Smash (which didn't exist in the Melee era, either).
Does that mean that Mewtwo can only access his awakened form via Final smash?

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
It does make that the most likely option.
I really don't think that the classic Mewtwo will return to SSB4 without his newform being playable, and if not the only playable form and the classic form isn't included. I think the Newform of Mewtwo will have his own special abilities that will make him a unique character with his own moveset and only share limitied similarities with the classic form of Mewtwo.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Does anyone think the new form of Mewtwo will be the playable character in the next Smash?

Maybe Mewtwo will be in the 3DS version and customizable to form Newtwo which can then be exported to the Wii U.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Does anyone think the new form of Mewtwo will be the playable character in the next Smash?
Either that or a possible transforming Mewtwo.

The majority seems to want Mewtwo to switch between forms, either by special moves or by Final Smash.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103

Maybe Mewtwo will be in the 3DS version and customizable to form Newtwo which can then be exported to the Wii U.
I suppose that the clasic form of Mewtwo will be in the 3DS version since Sakurai stated that it will contain Retro character. And the new form of Mewtwo will in the Wii U version.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I suppose that the clasic form of Mewtwo will be in the 3DS version since Sakurai stated that it will contain Retro character. And the new form of Mewtwo will in the Wii U version.
Sakurai has made no mention of the character differences between the two versions, if there even are to be any. The 3DS having retro characters sounds a lot like that Memories rumor from a while back.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Different rosters for each versions is an idea I dislike.

I think both 3DS and Wii U versions should have the same roster. Ah, and Mewtwo doesn't exactly qualify as a retro character.

Retro characters are those forgotten characters from Nintendo's earlier days, such as R.O.B., Mr. Game & Watch and the Ice Climbers.
Pit and Little Mac also used to be considered as retros before they had new games released recently.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I imagined that if Mewtwo came in, his regular skin would be the awakened form, while he'd have an alternate skin to go to his original form, exactly like with Wario.

And on the subject of different rosters for the 3DS and Wii U, seems like a horrible idea to me. Imagine a new favorite character would make it into the 3DS version, and you neither had a 3DS or simply just prefer the Wii U version overall. A lot of problems could arise with that, if anything, the 3DS version will have cut some characters off from the Wii U version, but it won't have any unique characters to itself. I don't expect roster differences though, I mostly just hope that the 3DS won't be getting any unique characters over the Wii U version, even if that'd probably up the sales for both the 3DS and the game.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I imagined that if Mewtwo came in, his regular skin would be the awakened form, while he'd have an alternate skin to go to his original form, exactly like with Wario.
This wouldn't work at all. Old/New Mewtwo have completely different body types, so unless the costumes have different hitboxes(which they shouldn't), you'd be looking at a severe case of hitbox dissonance.

It's one or the other as far as I am concerned. Old form or new form.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Sakurai has made no mention of the character differences between the two versions.
We don't know the exact difference of both forms, hence we won't really know what might be possible or not.
This wouldn't work at all. Old/New Mewtwo have completely different body types, so unless the costumes have different hitboxes(which they shouldn't), you'd be looking at a severe case of hitbox dissonance.

It's one or the other as far as I am concerned. Old form or new form.
Although I suspect that the newform will most likely make it to SSB4 and not the classic form, it is still possible for Mewtwo to alternate between both his forms in-game (sheik/zelda) or changed via final smash (or choosed by holding the shield button like Samus and ZSS).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
We don't know the exact difference of both forms, hence we won't really know what might be possible or not.
I'm aware we're unaware, I'm just saying there has been no mention of 3DS or Wii U exclusive characters yet, so claiming Sakurai said one will contain "retro characters" (which Mewtwo isn't btw) while the other won't is jumping the gun. All we know is there will be some level of customization on the 3DS, and you can transfer what you've done to the Wii U. Characters themselves haven't been mentioned yet.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The only big difference is that his butt got attached to his head, I'm sure that there could be some sort of work-around, because other than that there's not that much of a difference in body structure.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
The only big difference is that his butt got attached to his head, I'm sure that there could be some sort of work-around, because other than that there's not that much of a difference in body structure.
Body structure is irrelevant to the new abilities that Newtwo may possesses. The newform of Mewtwo might be given unique and genuine abilities that makes his smash character different from his classic form's character.

Btw guys, I like the discussion. But we need to see your own list of the top 5 pokemons that will most likely make it :p the only one so far to make a list other than myself is splat.

Let's see what your ideas are :)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
This discussion on Mewtwo's new form is kinda pointless, as we know NOTHING about it except what it looks like.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
This discussion on Mewtwo's new form is kinda pointless, as we know NOTHING about it except what it looks like.
I concur. However, I don't think that it's just a mere "Power-up" limited form that Mewtwo can access. As I said above, I predict Newtwo will have his own unique moveset that will differ from the classic Mewtwo (both forms will share limited similarities) and make his newform an adaptive SSB4 character. That's why we're discussing about what form will most likely make it as a character.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Btw guys, I like the discussion. But we need to see your own list of the top 5 pokemons that will most likely make it :p the only one so far to make a list other than myself is splat.

Let's see what your ideas are :)
Top 5:
1. Pikachu
2. PKMN Trainer
3. Jigglypuff
4. Mewtwo (new form as FS)
5. Lucario

If there had to be another:
6. Zoroark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom