• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Controller Set-up

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
tap jump off for obvious reasons

R as attack for DACUS and item hold fsmash (Although i never actually do either of those 2 things)

Y as special for up-B OOS, although i wanna take time to learn to use that for regular specials because it would result in faster transitions between specials, smashes, and aerials IMO

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Run my control setup. It's the best.

For those that don't know it:
A - Jump
B - Special
C - Smash
L - Shield
R - Attack
X - Attack
Y - Grab
Z - Jump

Although if you really don't want to use the Y Button in the claw fashion, you can replace Attack on the Shoulder with Grab. The trade off being you'll have to manually input a reverse stutter step fsmash because if you try to do it with Grab on the shoulder, you'll ipg. Every other tech (Olimar specific or universal) used can now be done with streamlined inputs with this setup. (edit: I lied, you can reverse stutter step with grab. You just can't Nair with the R button anymore)

Except for C Bouncing. If you wanted to add that in (which might be useful for frame perfect Whistle Reversals and Wave Bounced Whistles depending on the situation, you'd probably want to go to a classic pro for more shoulder buttons.

Turazrok

Smash Master
You guys are babies. I don't change my controller setup at all. Ever.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
That explains a lot. :awesome:

I use the same scheme as dabuz, but I sometimes set one or two of my taunts as something else to help with mashing if I'm able to that day.
I've been playing around with B-sticking, but it's too hard to get used to right now.

Dnyce

Smash Master
dpad for mashing is the most ******** thing imo. also, setting it to all the same button will hinder your mash rather than help.

How many frames does is take for you to contort you hand to start mashing like that? You're probably already getting railed by un-mashable CGs by then.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
dpad for mashing is the most ******** thing imo. also, setting it to all the same button will hinder your mash rather than help.

How many frames does is take for you to contort you hand to start mashing like that? You're probably already getting railed by un-mashable CGs by then.
this^^^^ i tried out that dpad thing, so not worth it (although i can mash out of most CGs before 25% anyway :D)

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
It's... something you have to train yourself to do.
I'm still working on being able to snap to the position (which is hard as ****ing HELL to do on reaction to getting grabbed), but it definitely cuts down on the amount of strain you're putting on yourself and the controller.

Dnyce

Smash Master
The fact that you have to snap to a position make it worthless. You're losing very valuable frames while doing it.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
the thing is, if you wanna use it correctly, PREDICT the grab right before it lands, so by the time your grabbed, you already expected it and snapped to position, i just don't like having to think about that when playing good ICs, but W/E works for you i guess

DeLux

There are two running theories on mashing. One would say that if it takes longer than 7 frames to create mash inputs, the method is bad. The other is more lenient and would say 21 frames.

I think the 7 frame theory is more accurate, although I haven't gotten confirmation either way as of late.

If in fact it is the 7 frame theory and it's reasonable to assume it would take 10 frames to move your hands to position, and human reaction time averages 12 frames, you would need to assume you are getting grabbed quite a bit in advance.

During that time you started moving your hands, you could have been doing things like double jumping, spot dodging, fairing, anything that has a hitbox

Dnyce

Smash Master
There are two running theories on mashing. One would say that if it takes longer than 7 frames to create mash inputs, the method is bad. The other is more lenient and would say 21 frames.

I think the 7 frame theory is more accurate, although I haven't gotten confirmation either way as of late.

If in fact it is the 7 frame theory and it's reasonable to assume it would take 10 frames to move your hands to position, and human reaction time averages 12 frames, you would need to assume you are getting grabbed quite a bit in advance.

During that time you started moving your hands, you could have been doing things like double jumping, spot dodging, fairing, anything that has a hitbox
i lol'd

14rapes

DeLux

Your best bet at 0 percent would be to hit 4 buttons in 7 frames and hope someone doesn't buffer a throw before 21 frames (which they should but idk they might pummel or something dumb)

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
or better yet, they might not think they actually got the grab and therefore don't buffer the CG (at least, thats why i normally get out)

DeLux

they have 21 frames though. If they react to the grab in 12, the should in theory be able to get the throw off every time is the point I was making

Like, if I throw out the grab button, it's not like I don't expect it to hit. I expect it to hit and adjust when it misses. Usually the only times I get mashed out by Dnyce even at 0 is when I have to wait for Nana to get out of dash grab animation, but I wait slightly too long past 21 frames.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Well, I'm not an expert on mashing so you've probably done more with it than I have.
Thank you for taking time to explain that, DeLux.

DeLux

I'm no expert either tbh ><

I'm just sort of theorycrafting based on what I know. Dnyce is probably the second to fastest masher I've ever played. Kira is the fastest, and hardest masher I've ever seen

Llumys

Smash Champion
Tap jump OFF: Lets me tether without wasting my second jump.
X to SPECIAL: Closer to Y than B.
L to ATTACK: Various uses, like DACUS and smashing while holding an item, etc.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
I used to use no tag until the past tournament, but now...

Tap jump OFF because i can tether without killing my second jump, and tether tricksies are 100x easier.

Y to special so i can still run from tornado and reverse grounded up-b it, it's jump canceled so since tap jump is off i need to X + Y for it now >:O

Top Bottom