• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 3 Miis, Palutena, amiibo, Pacman, G&W Post Invitational

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Eh... kind of a swing and a miss for me. I'm not really hyped about any of these revealed characters, but at least Mii Fighters' potential variation seems pretty great. I guess this mean's the leak's real now.

Did anyone catch IGN's 33 character roster thing? Please tell me Sakurai's rusing us.
We are at 34 with Mii, Palutena, Pac-Man and Mr.Game and Watch.

.n_n.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Fox Side b's through the smashball, should be falling to his death off stage, and with no indicators of him being hit by a rogue projectile, suddenly jumps and up b's back.
I SEE IT!

IT'S TRUE

POST IT IN THE FOX FORUM :)

This is really good news for Fox (and maybe Falco and Wolf, too).

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Fox Side b's through the smashball, should be falling to his death off stage, and with no indicators of him being hit by a rogue projectile, suddenly jumps and up b's back.
Through the smashball and jumps back? Sounds like a Smashball mechanic instead of a change to Fox.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Sounds very contrived and doubtful. Whatever it is that caused it, Fox was in a lot of lag for a while before being able to up-b.
He didn't jump before the up-b, that was my mistake, but it did look like he may have wave bounced something (he blinks orange with only half a leg on screen before diagonally falling into up b).

GenesisJLS

Smash Journeyman
Fox's side b looks like it doesn't send into freefall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJjvAGH5EQM around 55 seconds in.
Nice catch. I wonder if there will there will be a difference in character move sets between 'For Fun' and 'For Glory' modes. Without that side - b not sending him into free fall, Fox will be able to essentially recover anywhere from the stage horizontally. A better question is will the side - b break the inertia associated with a knock back.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I don't think Game & Watch is confirmed, technically in the Greninja trailer many pokemon appeared but they're not confirmed playable. Same for Dark Pit.

Charizard and Greninja got the little banner thing when they were shown. As did pacman, game nad watch didn't.

With that said I still think he's playable but, like continuity purposes it's not official yet.

Braggins

Smash Apprentice
I thought the game looked absolutely awful. It seemed just as slow if not slower than Brawl. No hitstun and super floaty. The finals went to time even though neither player was being overly defensive or going for a time out until like 40 seconds left. No thanks. I wish people wouldn't encourage Nintendo and give them money for this.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I thought the game looked absolutely awful. It seemed just as slow if not slower than Brawl. No hitstun and super floaty. The finals went to time even though neither player was being overly defensive or going for a time out until like 40 seconds left. No thanks. I wish people wouldn't encourage Nintendo and give them money for this.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
No hitstun? What were you watching? Add in the fact that you're making big assumptions about a game you haven't even played, and I'd guess you're just here to make bitter remarks.

Braggins

Smash Apprentice
No hitstun? What were you watching? Add in the fact that you're making big assumptions about a game you haven't even played, and I'd guess you're just here to make bitter remarks.
I guess there was hitstun but moves had so much knockback and the physics and movement were so slow that moves couldn't be followed up or linked reliably at all. You can say I'm making assumptions but the mechanics looked so similar to Brawl that although it will have some differences it will likely be similarly slow and the punishes or "combos" will be shallow small things like jab into tilt into tilt and then nothing or stuff with the combo finisher mechanic or whatever it is. I'm not trying to just make bitter remarks. That is just my honest feedback. Anyone who likes Brawl will probably like this game and it will probably be better than Brawl. I don't think most people that prefers the faster Melee style will like this. I'm not even really complaining because I don't plan on playing this. I am perfectly fine just playing some of the other smash titles.

Last edited:

Braggins

Smash Apprentice
Melee 2 would fracture the community.
Project M is basically Melee 2 and Melee and Brawl players generally really like it and its perfectly accepted in the community. I don't really care about this game in general and I'm not saying I think it will fracture the community. I'm just saying that is my one worry about this game. I hope something like that doesn't happen.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I guess there was hitstun but moves had so much knockback and the physics and movement were so slow that moves couldn't be followed up or linked reliably at all. You can say I'm making assumptions but the mechanics looked so similar to Brawl that although it will have some differences it will likely be similarly slow and the punishes or "combos" will be shallow small things like jab into tilt into tilt and then nothing or stuff with the combo finisher mechanic or whatever it is.
Were you really stringing combos together the first time you played Melee? No. The current metagame is barely above zero. Give it some time.

Project M is basically Melee 2 and Melee and Brawl players generally really like it and its perfectly accepted in the community. I don't really care about this game in general and I'm not saying I think it will fracture the community. I'm just saying that is my one worry about this game. I hope something like that doesn't happen.
Actually, that broke the base for two reasons. 1. Changing Brawl into Melee because Brawl was "wrong" and 2. That it's unofficial. If a real Melee 2 was made people would be complaining that it's rehash and that Sakurai wasn't even trying.

Prince Longstrok

Taker of lives, defiler of daughters.
Personally I think the only matches we can use to judge the game are the last two with just 1v1.

That being said, There were moments where I was excited, then moments when I was not- to name one being when Zero was using side special over. and over. and overrrrr again, with Hungry box having a ahrd time getting around it.

Ill wait till I play on saturday (I work tomorrow :c) before making my final judgements, but.. Im not holding my breath.

Also, anyone else notice how many just above ground air dodges there were because they kept trying to wavedash? x)

Braggins

Smash Apprentice
Were you really stringing combos together the first time you played Melee? No. The current metagame is barely above zero. Give it some time.

Actually, that broke the base for two reasons. 1. Changing Brawl into Melee because Brawl was "wrong" and 2. That it's unofficial. If a real Melee 2 was made people would be complaining that it's rehash and that Sakurai wasn't even trying.
I didn't have any understanding of Smash when I started playing Melee so I wasn't stringing combos together. Based on what I saw and what I've experienced from playing Brawl for two years and know about Nintendo's design philosophy I just find it really hard to believe that the game won't be very similar to Brawl in terms of its combo/punish game and speed. Even if some better combo strings open up eventually the physics are still very slow which is a big downer for me. I mean, it is what it is. I'm sure plenty of people will really enjoy this game and that is fine.

There certainly are some people who are put off by Project M for the reasons you mentioned but it is generally accepted and a lot of people like it and it certainly hasn't split the base. It may be an issue in the community but it is a very minor one. Brawl completely divided the community and was a huge issue for a long time. I'm just saying that I hope another situation like that doesn't happen and the communities can coexist and flourish. I really don't want Smash 4 to help cause the Melee scene to collapse again the way it did before after Brawl came out.

Last edited:

Prince Longstrok

I didn't have any understanding of Smash when I started playing Melee so I wasn't stringing combos together. Based on what I saw and what I've experienced from playing Brawl for two years and know about Nintendo's design philosophy I just find it really hard to believe that the game won't be very similar to Brawl in terms of its combo/punish game and speed. Even if some better combo strings open up eventually the physics are still very slow which is a big downer for me. I mean, it is what it is. I'm sure plenty of people will really enjoy this game and that is fine.

There certainly are some people who are put off by Project M for the reasons you mentioned but it is generally accepted and a lot of people like it and it certainly hasn't split the base. It may be an issue in the community but it is a very minor one. Brawl completely divided the community and was a huge issue for a long time. I'm just saying that I hope another situation like that doesn't happen and the communities can coexist and flourish. I really don't want Smash 4 to help cause the Melee scene to collapse again the way it did before after Brawl came out.
do you think its possible that upon release, teh community will seperate into Melee, Smash 4, PM, AND Brawl players? o:

Nah, who are we kidding. Brawl players are basically the ones who just play whatever is newest. (and thats perfectly acceptable, in fact its who I was not too long ago)

CapnMuffin

Smash Apprentice
So much info. Still digesting it all. Here's hoping for more info tomorrow... just ONE more reveal. Daddy needs another hit! #_#

Prince Longstrok

So much info. Still digesting it all. Here's hoping for more info tomorrow... just ONE more reveal. Daddy needs another hit! #_#
Im almost positive that was all the info we are getting for E3.
A tournies worth of gameplay and 3 new characters are a pretty decent haul, though!

assuming there is no direct, im predicting.. 4 more character reveals, probably all veterans, left until 3DS launch. Gotta keep SOMETHING secret for those challenger warning signs c;

I still remember how hype I was when I saw wolfs. ^-^

Braggins

Smash Apprentice
do you think its possible that upon release, teh community will seperate into Melee, Smash 4, PM, AND Brawl players? o:

Nah, who are we kidding. Brawl players are basically the ones who just play whatever is newest. (and thats perfectly acceptable, in fact its who I was not too long ago)
I agree that the Brawl players are going to play whatever is newest, which is what worries me. The last time a new smash game came out that a large portion of the community hated it almost killed the community and a large portion of the people playing the new smash game are going to be the same people who were a part of the Melee/Brawl split. I could see it splitting into Melee (and to a lesser extent Project M) and Smash 4 and I hope this doesn't have the same effect it did last time. I don't expect Brawl to be relevant at all once Smash 4 comes out.

Prince Longstrok

I agree that the Brawl players are going to play whatever is newest, which is what worries me. The last time a new smash game came out that a large portion of the community hated it almost killed the community and a large portion of the people playing the new smash game are going to be the same people who were a part of the Melee/Brawl split. I could see it splitting into Melee (and to a lesser extent Project M) and Smash 4 and I hope this doesn't have the same effect it did last time. I don't expect Brawl to be relevant at all once Smash 4 comes out.
I had hoped that Project M would eventually get people off the Melee train, but it seems that they are a stubborn bunch.

Hell, I feel that Project M will eventually be the most played, simply due to the roster, balance, and the fact that there is basically a dedicated team for balance and it was pretty much MADE to be competitive.

Braggins

Smash Apprentice
I had hoped that Project M would eventually get people off the Melee train, but it seems that they are a stubborn bunch.

Hell, I feel that Project M will eventually be the most played, simply due to the roster, balance, and the fact that there is basically a dedicated team for balance and it was pretty much MADE to be competitive.
I would love if Project M became the most played because it is my personal favorite. Melee is awesome and I understand why a lot of people prefer to stick with it. The good things is that there is enough overlap between the two and Project M is exciting enough that the games easily coexist together. I like where the community currently is with all the games generally being featured in tournaments and everyone is happy. I like Smash being featured as a whole with whichever game that brings the most hype and excitement being the most relevant. I really don't see Smash 4 being able to carry a competitive scene for the same reasons that Brawl failed so I really hope people don't just stop paying attention to the other games and focus solely on Smash 4 just because its new.

Last edited:

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
Because of the 3 different styles of Mii and the customization (look at that snazzy purple coat one of the miis are wearing) I think nearly everyone will have a pocket Mii they've trained with. I honestly thought Mii would be a bad character with somewhat lame references to the Wiisports too, but I'm pleasantly surprised!

Paulutena was a surprise, she was leaked early this year I think. She's looks great! I never played Pit's games so I didn't care to much for her, but it's cool having yet another female character that others can get excited to play. :)

Pacman was honestly a disappointment, I feel he has a weird offsetting move-set. I played original Pacman game (who hasn't?) and I remember a little bit of Pacman on the Gamecube which had really good fun multiplayer. But I feel there were better choices for that precious character slot. If they had to be from Namco I would have prefered Lloyd or Klonoa, but there were a lot of people who wanted Pacman so for them I'm glad.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
From a gameplay standpoint I was actually somewhat dissapointed with all inclusions. Okay, I will give Miis that they have 3 movesets, but a lot of their moves are drawn from other characters, but moveset-wise they're okay. But Palutena looks a lot more boring than I imagined her to be, it doesn't seem like she has any unique gimmick other than beams, and Pac-Man's moveset can only be described as a big mess imo.

The movesets for newcomers all seemed so focused and incredibly distinguished up 'till now, even if the playstyles didn't look to be for me, so I'm not sure why these three seem so unpolished to me. I'm not especially excited for any of them, I still don't like Mii or Pac-Man, and it's practically impossible for me to get excited for Palutena when we've known about her inclusion for half a year. These newcomers simply aren't cattered to me, I do see how other people can find excitement in them, but personally I just can't, and it's sadly been this way with all newcomers except Mega Man and Greninja for me.

Last edited:

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
From a gameplay standpoint I was actually somewhat dissapointed with all inclusions. Okay, I will give Miis that they have 3 movesets, but a lot of their moves are drawn from other characters, but moveset-wise they're okay.
I agree with the moves being drawn from other characters, I just feel they still create something original since they combine those moves from different characters together to make a character that plays different from the people they were even drawn from. I'm not 100% sure how good/smooth they are, but they have potential to be interesting.

Shroob

Sup?
The question remains to be asked, will G&W be officially revealed this week, or will Sakurai postpone him til after the game's out, despite us knowing about him?

TheZapp

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, I'm most excited about Pac-Man, his move set looks unique and fun

I loved the Mii trailer; it was my favorite of the three yesterday. Reggie, Iwata, Lincoln, Elijah and Ice-T confirmed at last. And tell me "Elijah Wood Like to Battle" isn't brilliant!

Top Bottom