• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3.5 changes discussion

Zoa

Smash Ace
@ nimigoha nimigoha I LOVE the new Ganondorf.

I do agree that there's no point in whining period. Everything changed. Adapt to it. Lab it up.

So...can someone advise me on moonwalking? Stuck with a classic controller for now until I get a GCN adapter for my Wii U (and hope it works for PM).

nimigoha

Smash Ace
Do the cheat moonwalk. Takes a little more time but if you're smart you can input the A hold during endlag of something (what is endlag says Lucario though lol).

Zoa

Smash Ace
Cheat moonwalk? I normally roll with the control stick. I'm still kinda slow after three weeks of practice though. :sadsheep:

nimigoha

Smash Ace
Oh I'm about to change your life.

Hold attack. I have L set to attack so this is easy. If you don't have an easy way, you can claw, but that reduces how easily you can do this in game.

So you're holding attack. Say you want to moonwalk to the left, so you're facing right. Do a normal moonwalk right>left, still holding attack, then at the end of the 'dash' just hit the C-Stick to the right. Repeat at the end of each dash.

There are two other C-stick tricks that I know of similar to this. If you hold attack and walk in a direction, then hit diagonal up + behind you on the C-Stick, you'll do a pivot but keep moving in the original direction. It looks hilarious.

And then you hold attack, do a full run, and to quickly run in the other direction, flick down on the C-stick and immediately hit the other direction on your control stick. This causes you to crouch for a split second, then dash out of the crouch. Essentially a dash dance that isn't limited by distance.

For the last one, sometimes you'll moonwalk instead of change direction. I'm pretty sure this means you're hitting the other direction while still holding down on the C-Stick. Running right and immediately moonwalking back to the left looks pretty jokes.

Since these all require you to be holding attack, their use in a game are limited because you have to either jab or figure out how to press A without triggering an action, i.e. on respawn or during endlag.

Now here's something funny. 3.5 registers different buttons as different inputs. So you could actually set R/L to attack and hold it down the whole game, without affecting your A button.

This is the new meta. I'm heralding this in.

Last edited:

Darkgun

Smash Journeyman
I knew about a whopping one of those things, and I can see no reason not to further diversify my movement. :p
Also, if you're looking for a good time to buffer the attack input, try during a wavedash.

On the note of changes, I'm back to thinking that Lucario can snap from nearly any angle again, though it seems to be much more demanding on the accuracy spectrum. I've run into a few instances where you touch a wall towards the end of ES, Lucario can rotate nearly 270 degrees to point downwards without actually moving all that far, which, in some instances (like below the edge of Smashville, where I first noticed it) has made for pretty easy ledge grabs. I am by no means consistent at it, but it certainly feels like a solid option. I'll need to play with it some more, to be sure of course, but the more I mess around in this patch, the more I think that Lucario's ES has received no actual change aside from requiring more thought to execute.

Also, it must be noted, in light of all this "hey look at Lucario vs other characters" denotation, that Lucario has the potential to have an incredibly mean off-stage game, which in this patch should be super good. Actual fair gimps may be a thing now, for example.

nimigoha

Smash Ace
Yeah he can still make it back from a long way away and his general flatness make it so easy to jump off and fair.

Good call on the WD, never thought of that.

Although I'm honestly going to try playing holding L as attack the whole game because I only use that button for DACUS and Lucario's isn't worthy. Could be very very interesting to be able to moonwalk and mega-dash dance whenever I want.

Risky

Smash Ace
@ Zoa Zoa Moonwalk left, :GCL: :GCR: :GCDR: :GCD: :GCDL: :GCL:. Act like you're interrupting the dash left with the halfcircle input. All of the inputs are as fast as possible. Lucario's moonwalk is excellent so you'll be able to tell if you're getting it.

@ Darkgun Darkgun If you have the nards, Lucario's offstage game is probably the best of the cast (with charge). Fair -> ESC Nair kills so many characters at low-mid% since they're so close to the blast zone already. It's really scary to do though, as sometimes the opponents interacts awkwardly with windboxes or their DI messes up your aerial and you fall to your death.

As for the ES hog, I can consistently do it with full distance ES while standing on stage. It's not much but it's something. The best input I've found for it is ES, hold :GCR: + :GCCDL: if edgehogging the right side of the stage.

@ nimigoha nimigoha Finally, thank you. I love Lucario in this patch and think he's in a very good place right now.

Is the weird edgebounce glitch still in the game? or was that a relic of ledge snapping. Where you ES at the edge from above, he would hit the edge and simply bounce off, regaining his jump and ability to act.

nimigoha

Smash Ace
It happened to me yesterday :/ looks like they couldn't fix it.

Granted it's only happened once and it was on Corneria's fin, so hopefully it's because it was on a janky ledge. Guess we'll just have to wait.

Zoa

Smash Ace
Cool. I'll be putting that moonwalk business into my practice sessions more now that I know exactly what to do. Lucario definitely seems to have a much easier time doing edgeguards. Got a few fair -> ESC -> nair -> DT -> DJ to stage kills yesterday. It was glorious.

Risky

Smash Ace
It happened to me yesterday :/ looks like they couldn't fix it.

Granted it's only happened once and it was on Corneria's fin, so hopefully it's because it was on a janky ledge. Guess we'll just have to wait.
I haven't been able to replicate it. Probably something to do with snapping, holding down while ES, or a combination of the two.

Top Bottom