• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2nd controller this year is failing to dash back -> JC grab

Hax

Smash Champion
for the second time this year, my main controller (a different one than before; i stopped using the last one) has suddenly become noticeably harder to dash back grab with. i thought it was a unique problem the first time until it happened to my current main controller today. basically, Fox just stands in place and grabs on a lot of my dash back JC grab attempts.

i spoke to Cactuar about it just now, and he verified that this is a legitimate problem that exists; he's had to retire a couple of controllers over the years due to it. he also told me it's the main thing M2K looks for when he's testing a controller that he might buy. i'm just including this paragraph so that people don't accuse me of flubbing tech skill; that isn't the case. i know for a fact that this is a real problem.

i have no more good controllers to switch to, and the one i'm currently using is my favorite/best one. i was just wondering if anyone else is familiar with this problem, and if there's a fix. does this have something to do with friction/lubrication? or is this hardware failure? or is it something else?

thanks to anyone that can help

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
If you start your jumpsquat animation immediately when you turn around, the game doesn't register the turn and puts you facing forward again. I have this issue occasionally, are you sure this isn't what is happening to you? I've never encountered a controller that caused it, nor can I think of a reason why it would.

Crawfiish

Smash Cadet
for the second time this year, my main controller (a different one than before; i stopped using the last one) has suddenly become noticeably harder to dash back grab with. i thought it was a unique problem the first time until it happened to my current main controller today. basically, Fox just stands in place and grabs on a lot of my dash back JC grab attempts.

i spoke to Cactuar about it just now, and he verified that this is a legitimate problem that exists; he's had to retire a couple of controllers over the years due to it. he also told me it's the main thing M2K looks for when he's testing a controller that he might buy. i'm just including this paragraph so that people don't accuse me of flubbing tech skill; that isn't the case. i know for a fact that this is a real problem.

i have no more good controllers to switch to, and the one i'm currently using is my favorite/best one. i was just wondering if anyone else is familiar with this problem, and if there's a fix. does this have something to do with friction/lubrication? or is this hardware failure? or is it something else?

Does this mean no Pitt Fight V? Or are you going to buy a new controller?

Bones0

Smash Legend

You should probably ask another technical player to try it out (without telling them the problem) just to make sure it's not in your head. I know I have been paranoid about a controller being messed up and it negatively impacted my tech solely from a self fulfilling prophecy. If you believe your controller has trouble doing dashback grab, you're more likely to mess up whether it's actually broken or not.

That being said, assuming your controller is messed up, you can try to find someone experienced with taking the sticks apart. I'm not too knowledgeable about the inner workings of the actual stick box, but I believe there is some spring underneath that controls the bounce back effect. Your stick isn't lose at all, is it? Just not registering the dash input? It seems weird that it only happens with dash back and not dash forward...

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I was up to date on the MIOM FB post of this for a while. Could you explain some more of the specifics in actions that are being detrimented?

I'm not sure on the JC Grab part, but I remember Hax mentioning doing something that has IASA frames and not getting the dash back to cancel using those frames (and instead nothing happens [or he just does the grab], where as Dash forward easily triggers through them).

It seems weird that it only happens with dash back and not dash forward...
Nah dude there's definitely something in the game not liking Dash back for IASA use for such like Fox's d-tilt and I'm guessing any move, where as Dash forward it'll give you easy.

I found Holding the control stick down or forward, then smash back once the frames are available totally gets it easy; and in fact looks required on any controller. Otherwise doing Fox's/Falco's d-tilt and then having the stick around neutral until the IASA then smashing it back won't trigger anything and the d-tilt animation will just continue.

@ Kadano Kadano @DrinkingFood @Chesstiger2612 Why did they implement such where you can easily IASA Dash forward but not Back from Neutral position control stick-wise? Can you also guess as to why one of my controller misses hard press inputs? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w9NMFxU1Eg

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
@ Hax Hax
Do you have problems with dashing back from standing? I think it might be possible that a control stick is faulty in such a way that the full input strength doesn't register immediately, causing you to tilt turn out of which you can't dash. I don't have any idea about fixing such problems though.

I found Holding the control stick down or forward, then smash back once the frames are available totally gets it easy; and in fact looks required on any controller. Otherwise doing Fox's/Falco's d-tilt and then having the stick around neutral until the IASA then smashing it back won't trigger anything and the d-tilt animation will just continue.

Why did they implement such where you can easily IASA Dash forward but not Back from Neutral position control stick-wise?
After dtilt, your character goes into crouch. If your stick is in neutral, you'll then immediately go into uncrouch during which you can't turn.

Foxes dtilt has only 2 IASA frames at the end, so it's easy to miss them, and if you do, you have 1 crouch frame before the uncrouch begins. Holding down circumvents this because then you'll stay in crouch and can smash turn. If you hold forward, you'll walk on the IASA frames and thus can (smash) turn. Dashing forward is easy because uncrouch doesn't restrict it. Note also that Marth, whose dtilt has many IASA frames, doesn't have this problem.

@ Bones0 Bones0
Dash backward is a little more demanding than dash forward because of the existence of tilt turn. Also the smash input buffer is 1 frame smaller, because you waste 1 frame of the buffer on the smash turn.

Kadano

Magical Express
I agree with @ T tauKhan that it’s most likely due to a loose stickbox. Hax contacted me on Facebook, I advised him to open the stickbox and exchange the plastic shaft from a near-mint stickbox to compensate for the looseness caused by friction over time between the different plastic parts.

Bones0

Smash Legend
@ Hax Hax
Do you have problems with dashing back from standing? I think it might be possible that a control stick is faulty in such a way that the full input strength doesn't register immediately, causing you to tilt turn out of which you can't dash. I don't have any idea about fixing such problems though.

After dtilt, your character goes into crouch. If your stick is in neutral, you'll then immediately go into uncrouch during which you can't turn.

Foxes dtilt has only 2 IASA frames at the end, so it's easy to miss them, and if you do, you have 1 crouch frame before the uncrouch begins. Holding down circumvents this because then you'll stay in crouch and can smash turn. If you hold forward, you'll walk on the IASA frames and thus can (smash) turn. Dashing forward is easy because uncrouch doesn't restrict it. Note also that Marth, whose dtilt has many IASA frames, doesn't have this problem.

@ Bones0 Bones0
Dash backward is a little more demanding than dash forward because of the existence of tilt turn. Also the smash input buffer is 1 frame smaller, because you waste 1 frame of the buffer on the smash turn.
What happens if you dtilt, hold forward, and then try to time the dash back during IASA frames? Would that essentially option select a walk forward for 1 frame in case you miss the IASA timing?

tauKhan

Smash Lord
What happens if you dtilt, hold forward, and then try to time the dash back during IASA frames? Would that essentially option select a walk forward for 1 frame in case you miss the IASA timing?
Yes, unless you miss the timing by trying to dash too quickly. Actually, I'll probably start doing that.

Top Bottom