• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Visible Hitbubbles in PSA!

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
can we get a new file fore each character with the red hit bubbles? I'm planning on making a program that goes through each move frame by frame and the Glowing Hitbubbles lie about their size

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
It's not a new graphic. It's the same graphic. The graphic's texture has been edited in common3.pac so it can be a variety of colours. Just download it and put it in system on your SD.

You can even make your own colours! (for the stage too)

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
At first I thought I was doing something wrong but I think SmashAttacks is the problem. I always use save as. I finished all of Captain Falcon but when I went to test it the game froze. It freezes when it tries to load him so if I select him it will freeze after a few seconds. I tried loading the original unedited FitCaptain.pac, that worked fine. Then I added the taunt variable trigger (6 lines total, set variable in down taunts, clear variable in up taunts and entries) and the file size jumped from 252kb to 277kb. That one froze. Restarted again, only added 2 lines, set variable on down taunt right, clear on up taunt right. Saved it, 253kb. That one worked.

Then I added these 8 lines, saved, and the file size jumped fromm 253kb to 278kb. Freezes.

I was having problems with Ness and I thought maybe his file size limit was really low but then I restarted him and had no problems. I am aware that if you save as to the same location/name with the same amount of lines or less then the file will corrupt. The files aren't corrupting, SA is saving them larger than they need to be and the game can't read them. Help please.

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
I don't know, where does it say the version? And I thought dantarion's was just so that you can open pokemon or something. I'll try saving it with dantarion's.

Arrghh! Wiimote batteries died. Stupid wiimote. Who needs you?

Neh, still froze.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I have a question for AMKalmar.

I noticed that the hitboxes for DK's Bair and dash attack looked strange. After inspecting the problem thoroughly, I noticed it was due to his leg growing/shrinking on certain frames of both attacks. I assumed that the hitbox always scaled with the graphics because when I used super mushrooms the hitboxes for all the other moves scaled correctly with the new size of the bones. After seeing your Ness example and retesting the hitboxes for both moves I think I need to do the scaling thing you talked about. How do I go about tweaking the size when the graphics scale differently each frame? Will I have to make several new hitbubble graphics for each frame that changes (I hope not...)? There are two different sets of hitboxes for both currently and more than two unique graphical scaling values for his leg in each.

Thanks in advance.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I just thought of something that might work. Is it possible to just edit the fitmotion.pac so that the GFX of the bones are set to a scale of 1 during the attacks? It would certainly be a lot easier that way.

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
I have a question for AMKalmar.

I noticed that the hitboxes for DK's Bair and dash attack looked strange. After inspecting the problem thoroughly, I noticed it was due to his leg growing/shrinking on certain frames of both attacks. I assumed that the hitbox always scaled with the graphics because when I used super mushrooms the hitboxes for all the other moves scaled correctly with the new size of the bones. After seeing your Ness example and retesting the hitboxes for both moves I think I need to do the scaling thing you talked about. How do I go about tweaking the size when the graphics scale differently each frame? Will I have to make several new hitbubble graphics for each frame that changes (I hope not...)? There are two different sets of hitboxes for both currently and more than two unique graphical scaling values for his leg in each.

Thanks in advance.
Probably what MK said, but not necessarily (see below). I mentioned that this is a problem a few posts up.

just go with the scale on thr first frame of teh hitbox. It's not 100% perfect but at least you dont have to create a new graphic bubble for every frame the hitbox is out, and it generally should be close
You would think that! And I thought that. But not so with Ness' down tilt: his foot gets a lot bigger AFTER the bubble appears. So garbage.

I just thought of something that might work. Is it possible to just edit the fitmotion.pac so that the GFX of the bones are set to a scale of 1 during the attacks? It would certainly be a lot easier that way.
That's totally possible and I've been doing that for testing but that created its own problem.

DIAGRAMMED:
- = bone
o = bubble

Original Scale:
----O----O

Scale 1:
--o--o

You fix the size of the bubble by doing that, but the position is now wrong. You could theoretically fix this by finding the length of the bone and changing the offset of the graphic but it's more complicated then that - you have several bones all at different angles to each other with different scales. The scales and angles change every frame and to you'd have to compensate for each bone's new angle and length. It's just a big mess.

Ignoring all that, I think we want to keep the characters version. That's why we use the taunt switch.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I guess either way it is a pain. So the position can't be corrected by multiplying all of the other parameters by the old size scale?

Like say there were only one offensive bone in the attack and the size was 2 for x,y, and z. If you set the translations to double their values on that bone and make he scale 1 for x,y, and z would it still be in the wrong position?

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
That would work very nicely if we could create the bubbles in brawlbox. But we're making them in PSA so you'd have to figure out how far it has to be offset in each axis in relation the the bone it's attached to for every frame.

I really hope someone comes up with an easier way.

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
Kitamerby updated his Lucario to show invincibility represented by a blue flash overlay. I really like this idea. What does everyone else think?

This is just an idea, people can do whatever colours they want but I think it would be good to have a standard colour scheme. Ex:

Stage - Neutral (as used in my previous posts - dull blue)
Offensive Collision Bubbles - White
Invincibility - Solid blue overlay
Intangibility - Solid yellow overlay
Super Armor - Solid red overlay

By solid I mean non-flashing. So when you dodge, the character turns yellow for the duration of their intangibility as oppose to flashing white which can make it hard to tell exactly how long they are intangible.

Ooh, maybe a 50% overlay?

Magus420

Smash Master
I would say...

Grab Collision Bubbles - Purple
Offensive Collision Bubbles - Red
Defensive Collision Bubbles - Teal
Super Armor - Yellow overlay
Invincibility - Green overlay
Intangibility - Blue overlay

to be mostly consistent with the colors used in Melee's developer mode for these things. SA (hittable, damageable, no KB) being new in Brawl but following in order with the colors for green Invincibility (hittable, not damageable) and blue Intangibility (not hittable). If at some point it becomes possible to display hurt bubbles I'd say those could either be white, or yellow and SA be white instead.

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
Currently all collision bubbles are one colour. We could use a different graphic and edit its texture to be a different colour. Perhaps for special offensive collision bubbles (windboxes) and catch collision bubbles (grabs, ganon's up b & side b). There's no defensive bubbles (hurtboxes) yet. I'm pretty sure that's just the character's body anyways.

I'll look into other colours when I get home but I doubt I'll be able to find the offset.

Using the same logic you used for super armor colouring, would windboxes be orange (since blue and yellow are taken)? And what would you suggest for the background colour?

Magus420

Smash Master
Defensive collision as in reflect/absorb/counter. Hurtboxes were yellow, and were bubbles overlayed on the bones and not the actual shape of the polygons that make up the character graphic. Dunno about Brawl though. Either way, I doubt it'd be possible to accurately represent them here anyway since they're generally irregular in shape. Yeah, orange sounds ok for windboxes. For the BG I'd say black/dark gray I guess.

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
There's one other circular effect - eff_cmn_freaA. It's part of the shield so that won't do. I doubt it but can we overlay colours onto effects?

Now that I think about it there probably are invisible hurtboxes - the actual models would be quite complex for hit detection. I'm just speculating, I don't know anything.

PwNaG

Smash Rookie
Can't wait to see some Ness hitboxes. Fair, Uair, the 3rd part of the AAA combo, Utilt and perhaps his Ftilt all have hitboxes behind Ness. I'd like to see the actual size of these hitboxes, finally.

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
I was basically finished Ness a couple days ago but I wasn't going to upload it until I hexed the articles. The [currently] inaccurate version is here.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Does anyone know what Mario's FLUDD or Squirtle's Water Gun would look like? Or would they even have hitbubbles. I'm kinda curious.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Making a Sonic one now, but someone explain to me this:

Code:
FitSonic.pac
Sub Action 5D Animation: AttackHi4
Event List: Main

Asynchronous Timer: frames=4
Body Collision: Intangible
Asynchronous Timer: frames=5
Offensive Collision:
Offensive Collision:
Synchronous Timer: frames=1
Terminate Collisions:
Asynchronous Timer: frames=7
Body Collision: Normal
Set Loop 6 times
     Offensive Collision:
     Offensive Collision:
     Offensive Collision:
     Offensive Collision:
     Terminate Collisions:
Execute Loop:
Offensive Collision:
Synchronous Timer: frames=2
Terminate Collisions:

Event List: GFX

If Bit is Set: LA-Float[100]
     Sword Glow:
     Sword Glow:
     Terminate Sword Glow:
     Set Loop 6 Times
           Sword Glow:
           Sword Glow:
           Sword Glow:
           Sword Glow:
           Terminate Sword Glow:
     Execute Loop:
     Sword Glow:
     Synchronous Timer: frames=2
     Terminate Sword Glow:
End If
Trying to go over my mistakes and make sure the hitboxes sync up to the main action script, but if you have "Synchronous Timer: frames=1", should I remove it so that:

Code:
Sword Glow:
Terminate Sword Glow:
appears, or did I miss a step?

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Code:
FitSonic.pac
Sub Action 5D Animation: AttackHi4
Event List: GFX

If Bit is Set: LA-Float[100]
     Sword Glow:
     Sword Glow:
[COLOR="Red"]     Synchronous Timer: frames=1[/COLOR]
     Terminate Sword Glow:
     Set Loop 6 Times
           Sword Glow:
           Sword Glow:
           Sword Glow:
           Sword Glow:
[COLOR="red"]           Synchronous Timer: frames=1[/COLOR]
           Terminate Sword Glow:
[COLOR="Lime"]           Synchronous Timer: frames=2[/COLOR]
     Execute Loop:
     Sword Glow:
[COLOR="lime"]     Synchronous Timer: frames=1[/COLOR]
     Terminate Sword Glow:
End If
lines in red are deleted, lines in green are edited

so, to answer your question, yes, the synch timer at 1 frame should be deleted

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
so if you don't want to bother with taunt activators, can you just copy and paste the "bit variable set" line into the entrances?

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
You could do that.

I've been thinking we shouldn't bother with them at all. I think we should just remove all the original graphic effects and only show the collision bubbles. A few days ago I [barely] started working on having several colours of graphic bubbles in one common3. It's basically done but I hope to ADD graphic effects to the common3 rather than replace them. I only need to know one thing to get this working (I think): where in the effect file does it say the graphic effect's number by which it is called. For example, common3.pac > ef_common > ModelData[24] is the superscope graphic effect which we've been using. In PSA, this is graphic effect 32 (hex). So if I call graphic effect 32 in PSA, a superscope bullet will show up. What do I have to change to make this a number other than 32? I'm probably just talking to nobody and not going to get any help on this.

Anyone got any info on the shape of defensive collision bubbles? Are they just rectangles? Are they made of two spheres "stretched" together? Sorry, can't think of a way to describe what I'm thinking there.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
How would I do the hitbubbles for weapon collisions and defensive collisions? I'm also going to guess that I would do Special Offensive Collision just like I would with Offensive Collision?

Top Bottom