• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

21 Questions For Competetives

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
Over my time on Smashboards, I've been pretty confused about the ways competetive stuff works, so I came up with the idea to have one thread to be able to have the info out there! So I'm gonna put some questions below and it's up to you which questions you answer or if you answer at all. It would really help us lowly casuals out! :b:

1- What makes a character good, in your eyes?
2- How far is too far until a character is broken?
3- What kind of stages are preferred?
4- What makes a stage "unplayable"?
4.1- What's the big deal about walk-offs?
5- What's the big deal about stage hazards?
5.1- Even small ones?
6- No items, not even Mr. Saturn??
7- How is saying the game looks so cool ruining it for competetives?
8- Brawl is "competetive trash"??
9- For those who play Brawl still: you guys tend to play fox a lot, would YOU say Wolf is a clone?
10- How can many of you "for sure" say that this game is just going to be "Brawl2.0"?
11- Opinions of the competetive viability of newcomers?
12- Who are you hoping receives buffs and for what reasons?
13- Who are you hoping receives nerfs and for what reasons?
14- How is wavedashing such an extremely great thing?
15- How is dash dancing useful?
16- Why do some of you consider yourselves "the real players"?
17- What about ledge hogging seems like a fair tactic?
18- What about off-edge play seems like a way to really enjoy what smash is about?
19- Which stages shown so far look to be banned and accepted?
20- Actually, what is the criteria for a stage to be accepted?
21- Explain what "counter-pick" stages are all about! Please!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm not a tourney player thanks to living in Denmark, but I feel like I can answer these questions anyways since I follow the competitive scene a lot.

This boils down to a lot, but to keep it short it's someone who has solid moves at his exposal without having too glaring of a weakness. Take someone like Marth, his moveset is generally good as he has a lot of range and packs a good deal of power too. You could say the same thing about Bowser, but he has a glaring weakness in that he takes up a lot of space which makes him an easy target, and he's also slow too. A lot of the time it depends on who has the fewest weaknesses, and when it's between characters with few weaknesses it's about who has the best attacks and combos. This is trying to narrow it down as much as possible, otherwise I'm going to end up talking from dawn to dusk.

I personally only consider two characters in Smash history broken, Meta Knight in Brawl and Ice Climbers in Brawl. With Meta Knight he pretty much has everything, he has the best recovery in the game, his attacks are fast and powerful, he has unmatched aerial mobility, his attacks have priority over everyone else's, he has superb gimping potential, he has safe options with huge pay-offs, and he's small so he's hard to hit. In Meta Knight's case it's simply because he's pretty much the ultimate character, his only noteable flaw is that he is light-weight, aside from that he has everything at his exposal to completely control a match.

With Ice Climbers it's mostly that they are more or less unfair. One grab and you're done, that's it, when a character can 0% to death that easily they're very broken, only reason they aren't at the top is because of Meta Knight's great aerial mobility that allows him to avoid grabs easier and split them apart with his D-Air.

Flat stages with platforms are generally prefered, which is why stages like Battlefield, Smashville and Yoshi's Story are so popular. The reason these stages are prefered over Final Destination is because the lack of platforms is heavily in favor of some characters, like Marth in Melee who can keeping U-Throwing the opponent for a very long duration, and we're probably going to see Little Mac heavily prefer it too. Platforms helps even that out, they're sort of a safe haven for some characters.

When unpredictable hazards, walk-offs and walls are present. Walls often lead to infinite's which is considered unfair.

It heavily favors a campy playstyle. Someone like Falco can just stand at a walk-off and spam lasers, and if someone tries to approach he can simply throw him backwards for a kill. It makes for boring and unfair matches.

Whenever you're at a tournament money is always on the line, usually people have paid money to be there whether it's via an entry fee, hotel, or simply travelling. Would you be happy that your money was used like such only to be eaten by a fish on Summit? Nah, I doubt that.

5.1- Even small ones?
Here's the thing, some hazards are allowed. Halberd itself is a counterpick stage, and that's because the hazards are very predictable. You have to be able to predict these hazards in a reasonable manner, the arm, cannonballs and laser have A LOT of startup time and are easily avoided if you know what you're doing.

No. There are a lot of random things that factor into items. It can end up heavily favoring a player if the item spawns close to him, and we need to keep things as fair as possible, outing people for RNG is not good. Fortunately for you Mr. Saturn still makes his way into competitive play thanks to Peach's Down-B having a chance to pull him up.

I dunno, this sounds weird.

No, Brawl has its own competitive playstyle, and some people just dislike it. Brawl is a lot more campy and defensive than Melee because gameplay mechanics favor that, air-dodges are far superior in comparison to Melee, combos are non-existant at high percentages, and many characters like ZSS are experts at zoning. That and the much more severe imbalance also makes people dislike it. Then there are also chain-grabs which many people find to be unfair, the main users of this are ICs, Dedede and Pikachu, it's a very frustrating game mechanic. I'd say Brawl is a poor spectator sport, but it can be pretty intense when you play it yourself since it involves a lot of trick playing.

9- For those who play Brawl still: you guys tend to play fox a lot, would YOU say Wolf is a clone?
I think he's a semi-clone as his specials are obviously based off of Fox's, but he's certainly the least cloney clone by far.

10- How can many of you "for sure" say that this game is just going to be "Brawl2.0"?
I'm not one of those that say this, but I feel very confident in saying no one can.

It's early, and we can't say anything about the newcomers that weren't in the demos. Greninja looks pretty great, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer and Rosalina look okay, Mega Man looks below average, and Little Mac looks pretty bad on any stage with platforms.

Every low tier and mid tier, which includes a lot of the characters that are already buffed like Samus, Bowser, Luigi, Yoshi, Kirby and Sheik. Personally the one I hope gets a buff the most currently is Jigglypuff.

Meta Knight and Ice Climbers for previously stated reasons. Diddy Kong needs a change of focus as the banana play is beyond frustrating.

It removes the limitations of regular dashing, it allows you to perform pretty much any move out of it unlike regular dashing that only allows grabbing and dash-attack.

Mind tricks, stalling, to be honest I don't know too much about this as I rarely use it.

Only narcissistic people do this, this doesn't have anything to do with being competitive.

In Melee at least you have to time it correctly, it takes some skill to properly hog the ledge from the opponent depending on recovery.

18- What about off-edge play seems like a way to really enjoy what smash is about?
It features things present in no other fighting game, meteor smashes, gimping, recoveries, it's a very risky position and thus very exciting.

Obviously Battlefield and FD are going to be accepted, as is Halberd as it was in Brawl. On the 3DS most stages seem to be ban material, but there are a few outliers like Prism Tower and maybe Arena Ferox. On the Wii U there is Pyrosphere (if Ridley isn't on there of course), Pilotwings and possibly the Kalos Pokémon League stage.

Basically have no random and unpredictable stage hazards, no walk-offs, and no walls.

Some characters simply fare better on different stages. Dream Land is a counterpick to Fox in Melee because Fox mostly kills people with his U-Smash and U-Air, so it makes it harder for him to KO his opponents. I think a good example we're going to see in Smash 4 is taking Little Mac on a platform heavy stage since he sucks so bad in the air.

That's my answers at least, some people might be able to expand on what I've said, or maybe even correct me.

Last edited:

Renji64

Smash Lord
Over my time on Smashboards, I've been pretty confused about the ways competetive stuff works, so I came up with the idea to have one thread to be able to have the info out there! So I'm gonna put some questions below and it's up to you which questions you answer or if you answer at all. It would really help us lowly casuals out! :b:

5.1- Even small ones?
You could look up most of this stuff tho.

Last edited:

Beats

Smash Cadet
Oh man, what a mountain to climb here. Even a single question here could warrant paragraphs of response. For now I'll try to answer some of the smaller questions. I'll probably come back and discuss the other ones later.

4.1: Imagine chain grabbing your opponent right off the stage, and other such shenanigans.
6: From what I can remember about the reasoning behind no items, there was no way to turn off containers and stuff, which may or may not be explosive. As long as there were items, there was this feeling that the game changing explosive capsule could appear beside you or something. Someone else could probably explain this better than I could.
7: I'm not sure what you mean by this question, care to elaborate?
8: I don't agree with this myself. I think the source of these kinds of comments is mostly misinformation. Brawl is certainly different, and there's nothing wrong with disliking it, but there just seem to be a lot of false perceptions about it. I'd say just ignore things like this.
10: Pretty much the same as question 8, misinformation.
14: Wavedashes can be used in tons of situations. You can do it out of anything that can be jump cancelled like shields or shine. You can use it to waveland on and off ledges and platforms. You quickly move a certain distance while keeping the same direction, and the distance can kind of be controlled based on the angle of the air dodge. And you can do anything out of it that you can do in standing animation.
15: It's mostly a spacing tool, useful for feinting and such. It's usually done in and out of the opponent's range, so it appears you are close enough to hit and they whiff an attack. Add on to the fact that you can make your dash dance asymmetrical to move around, and it makes you harder to pin down. This is a terrible oversimplification by the way.
16. Ignore these kinds of people.

Renji64

Smash Lord
8. For me brawl isn't rewarding i don't feel any sense of skill or accomplishment when i win or do anything in it. it is just sitting around spacing camping and getting reads it is boring.

CrimsonYoshi

Smash Apprentice

People may look at tiers, but really it's a character you're good at and can train with. I like Lucas, for instance. He's an e tier character with flaws, but when you learn to play as him, he's an excellent character. Choose someone you want to play as and you'll do well by training.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I'm semipro at best, but will take a stab at all of this.

1. What makes a character good, in your eyes?

I play characters I'm a fan of. However, what makes characters GOOD is typically some combination of having combo moves, decent or good recovery, killing or damage racking potential, and depending on the game, game-specific movement abilities (such as wavedashing in Project M and Melee, DACUS in Brawl).
2. How far is too far until a character is broken?
If a character is perceived to win the vast majority of their matchups against all other characters, they are broken. A good example of this is Metaknight. At least at one point, the absolute worst matchup he had against anyone was a 45% win rate between players of "equal skill" (can't remember what character). In an ideal world, everyone would have 50:50, but if a character is that stacked against that many other characters, they're probably broken.
3. What kind of stages are preferred?
Stages with even terrain (few if any slants), static terrain (Lylat in Brawl is about the worst a major tilt can get, and even that is removed in the PM version), a few platforms, typically close side blast lines and a high ceiling. Sometimes small gimmicks are accepted (like the cloud in Yoshi's Island Melee or the balloons and platform in Smashville). As a general rule, if the stage is much larger than Final Destination, expect it to be banned.
4. What makes a stage "unplayable"?
This varies a bit region by region, group by group, tournament by tournament. But a general answer is: Being massive (Temple, New Pork), being particularly large (some others, but many of these are fair in doubles play), being a scrolling stage of any sort (Big Blue, Mute City), having walkoffs (Castle Siege was a counterpick for a while in Brawl despite this), having a major gimmick that can disrupt play (such as the Ultimate Chimera or the Yellow Devil), et cetera. Basically, whatever the host thinks will detract from purely skilled fighting.
4.1. What's the big deal about walk-offs?
In lower-level play when people just rush and fight each other, very little, which is why it's an understandable confusion for people new to competitive. But sadly, in competitive, the end win is more important, and it is normally seen as too safe to camp near the blast line and throw someone into it. There are arguments both ways for whether the risk of standing near the line yourself makes it reasonable, but the general consensus is that it encourages camping and defensive play.
5. What's the big deal about stage hazards?
Depending on how dangerous they are, they can disrupt a fight "randomly". In most cases, I'm all for the added reaction and skill that comes from avoiding a giant lava wall, but a strong case can be made for that lava wall saving players who should have died, or killing players who otherwise could have lived, for instance.
5.1. Even small ones?
This gets trickier, as it depends on what an individual classifies as a "hazard". If, by small ones, you mean getting a hit blocked by a Shy Guy or a moving platform, then those are normally fine. But if you mean something fairly predictable and avoidable like the flip in Orpheon, that's a matter of region/tournament operator opinion. Some like it, some don't, but as a general rule, if it's much more than the cloud or a shy guy, expect it to result in the stage being banned.
6. No items, not even Mr. Saturn??
Items spawn randomly, and randomness is frowned upon. Surely you've been in a round where you were winning until a Starman spawned directly on your friend? Or they got a lucky Entei from a Pokeball, or something like that. While a case can be made for items encouraging flexibility and stage control, they're normally just removed because of randomness. Furthermore, Final Smashes are removed because they aren't balanced between characters.
7. How is saying the game looks so cool ruining it for competetives?
It's not Melee. That's really the only guess I have. Depending on how hardcore competitive someone is about it, no matter how good it looks, it would only be good if it was viable for competition. Especially since a lot of what is shown off and looks cool (Pokeballs, shiny gimmick stages, and the like) is irrelevant to competitive.
8. Brawl is "competetive trash"??
Brawl is very defensively oriented due to things like endlag on dodging, and shield parameters and whatnot. While this doesn't make it objectively any better or worse as a competitive game (who gets the right to define that, anyway?), it does make it slower and campier, which is less fun to play and to watch for the majority of players. It also has Metaknight, who, unlike Melee's six-character "viable" roster, is a pretty far shot above the runners up.
9. Would YOU say Wolf is a clone?
Wolf is a semi-clone, in that all of his specials are variants of Fox's (like Falco in Brawl, as well), but all of his regular attacks are unique. Think Mario to Luigi from Brawl onward, versus a comparison like Marth vs Roy or Link vs Young Link.
10. How can many of you "for sure" say that this game is just going to be "Brawl2.0"?
No one worth listening to. The game is not released yet, and thus we do not know the final state of the game. Objective analysis from people with hands on at the demos has said that it feels better and faster than Brawl, is not Melee, and offers its own unique mechanics that none of the previous games had. It is, frankly, too soon to judge.
11. Opinions of the competetive viability of newcomers?
Balance as a whole seems improved and going in the right direction. Just taking it off of Melee or Brawl's competitive scenes, Little Mac would be terrible due to his poor aerial game, for instance. However, changes in aerial lag and whatnot seem to be indicating that ground approaches may gain some validity this time around, so we'll have to see. Of course, it may just be that his ground could be strong enough to make up for his air. We will just have to wait and see what happens post release. Sakurai has also expressed interest in balance patches in the future post-release, which could shake things up for the better.
12. Who are you hoping receives buffs and for what reasons?
Bowser, Ike, Kirby, Ness, Link, and Captain Falcon are my greatest hopes. Many reasons, but the simplest being that most of them lacked good approach options, combos, or kill moves (or some combination), or were just too slow or had low hit priority on their moves.
13. Who are you hoping receives nerfs and for what reasons?
Diddy, Olimar, and Metaknight may or may not need nerfs depending on how similar the metagame is to that of Brawl. Olimar has already shown to have some reworks in his mechanics. However, Metaknight was too strong due to his priority and speed, and the other two were dominant due to their ability to force force tripping and rack damage respectively.
14. How is wavedashing such an extremely great thing?
Compared to running toward your opponent, Dash Dancing may be faster to execute (depending on the character), and does not force you to either jump, dash attack, or grab (your only three regular options during a dash). It can also be used opposite the way you're facing as a retreat option. All forms of it leave you free to use most any attack you want, which is significantly more flexible. Whether or not this flexibility is desired (or fair, seeing as how some characters like Bowser have a very poor Wavedash anyway) is up to some debate, but essentially anyone with a strong Wavedash has more approach and retreat options than someone with a weak wavedash, or against someone who doesn't know how.
15. How is dash dancing useful?
Similar to wavedashing, it doesn't lock you into your running animation, and thus leaves options and makes it hard for your opponent to read your intent. In Brawl, while dashdancing is impractical on most characters, it can also transition into a pivot grab, which extends your reach considerably.
16. Why do some of you consider yourselves "the real players"?
My guess is that it's similar to how the pro sports players are the "real athletes". They're the one doing it for fame and fortune, and their skill justifies their superiority. That said, the beauty of Smash is that it's great fun regardless of skill, unlike most traditional fighting games. To be fair, though, if a game doesn't gather a strong competitive community, it'll fade away after a few years like anything else.
17. What about ledge hogging seems like a fair tactic?
I hate it and can't wait for Smash4's implementation, but aside from "It gets the kill", the only defense I've heard for it is that it takes a moderate and somewhat variable amount of skill and knowledge to pull off effectively against other skilled players. I'm gonna fire a shot and say it's still a cheap kill though.
18. What about off-edge play seems like a way to really enjoy what smash is about?
Spikes/meteors/whatever are fun and satisfying to land, and being off-stage puts the user at risk, and can lead to unexpected kills or trades. As the PMBR states, it should be more rewarding than on-stage play, as it carries a higher risk but can get your opponent even further from the safety of the stage.
19. Which stages shown so far look to be banned and accepted?
Since most stages have a Final Destination mode, those modes are likely to be universally accepted. As far as the other stages go, it will vary by version. Boxing Ring has walkoffs. Wily's Castle has the Devil. Most of the 3DS stages have major gimmicks, but the ones I expect may be considered fair are Arena Ferox, Prism Tower, Tortimer Island, and (depending on the variety of gimmicks), maybe Paper Mario. From the U, Pilotwings may be considered a counterpick, Town and City is probably going to be fair, Mushroom Kingdom U may be a counterpick, and the rest will have to get more information on. For instance, if Kalos League is just the flat stage and platforms we've seen, it's probably fair. If Pyrosphere doesn't have everyone's favorite space pterodactyl trying to murder us, it looks fair at a glance. Halberd was a counterpick in some Brawl tourneys, might return as such. We just don't have enough information to judge for sure.
20. Actually, what is the criteria for a stage to be accepted?
Generally, few/no walkoffs, no areas of exceptional survival (Temple's cave being the most famous), few disruptive hazards (normally have to be predictable as well, like the Halberd's main cannon), not too big. Depends on the tournament, some places change up the list every now and then and see how it goes.
21. Explain what "counter-pick" stages are all about! Please!
When playing a set (such as best of 3 or 5), counterpicking is used to pick a stage that offers an advantage to your character. For instance (from the Smash wiki), if you lose a round as Fox (and stage banning/striking isn't in play at the time), in Melee it was often considered good to counterpick to Pokemon Stadium, where you have room to camp lasers, the ceiling is low for your upair and upsmash, etc. Marth, on the other hand, would often counterpick to Final Destination if playing against spacefurries, as the lack of platforms for them to land on makes it harder for them to avoid his aerial combos and chasing. In other words, it makes stage picking a matter of strategy and knowledge.
Hope that helps, and hope it doesn't hurt your eyes too much to read. Went back and reformatted it for readability.

Last edited:

Sparklepower

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Overfired
I'm by no means a huge competitive player, but I can certainly answer most of these questions.

1. This comes down to preference in a lot of ways but the primary things that make a character good are combo potential, punish game, good edge-guarding capability etc.
2. Well, our only example of this is metaknight who just had ridiculous recoveries and more of what was mentioned in 1. than other characters. A character's performance is judged relative to other characters in the game, so really there's no accurate answer to this than "Better than all of the other characters by a gross margin."
3. Generally symmetrical, fair stages with no hazards.
4. Walk-offs introduce an element of camping the side with throws, which is generally disliked by the community. Stages without walk-offs are simply preferred for a fair game.
5 & 5.1. Okay, in competitive the goal is to set up the most fair situation for both competitors to show they're the better smash bros. player. Stage hazards, even small ones, tend to contradict this because we don't want random elements diluting the showcase of skill in a match.
6. Yes. Even Mr. Saturn is banned for reasons I've said in 5.
7. It's not. I don't know where this comes from.
8. Brawl is simply not as fit for a competitive scene as melee due to it's floatiness, nerfed hitstun(making combos much less frequent), random tripping, and slower gameplay, and a lot of melee players were disappointed when it came out. This really isn't surprising, if Street Fighter V were released with random tripping, slow gameplay, less combos, and floaty jumping a lot of players would really dislike no matter how much new content is introduced.
9. I personally don't view Wolf as a clone, and I don't really play Fox in any version of the game.
10. Some people feel that because the game is still floaty and isn't as fast as melee that it still won't hold up to melee and Project M on a competitive level. The reality is that we need to wait for a metagame to evolve to know if this is true or not.
11. Mine? I have my doubts about Little Mac in competitive because aerial play is so important and they intentionally made him bad at it, and I think rosalina & luma looks like they have a lot of potential, but I don't know much beyond that.
12. and 13. Buff the low tiers, and if Meta Knight is returning nerf him... that's the only opinion I really haveon that.
14. It's a really unique spacing tool that allows you to have a short dash without getting rid of your ability to perform attacks (the game considers you standing during the dash), so it adds an extra movement option to the game that a lot of people feel completed Melee as a very fun competitive game.
15. It's situational, it's mainly just to reduce how predictable you're movement is and make you harder to read.
16. A lot of people feel entitled to the game because they've put in more time into it and have given more thought and appreciated the deeper mechanics of the game. I'm not saying they're justified, but that's the reason.
17. What about it seems unfair? It's been in since smash 64, and there was even a bonus for it in melee. So the developers intended for it to be used, thus it's a part of the game, and fair.
18. It's one of the unique parts of smash itself. How many other fighters do you see have this element? It's also generally exciting because one mistake will have you losing a stock.
19. If you want to know which stages are legal in which versions of the game, just google "Smash 64/melee/brawl/project m tournament rules" depending on which version you want to know about.
20. See 3, it's really the same question.
21. Some stages aren't considered neutral because they favor certain characters greatly, but are still considered fair. We call these stages counterpicks and if you want to see how they're used refer to 19.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest

5.1- Even small ones?
I'll bite. Though you could've found a better place than the Smash 4 area to post this.

1. Good characters are always fast and have good spacing or recovery. A good camping game helps too.
  2. Until they are faster than all other characters have almost no landing lag and have priority over most other characters move.
  3. Flat stages with a couple platforms are everyones favorite. Sometimes transformations are good too. Though FD is my favorite
  4. Stage hazard are bad. Moving stages are bad too. Though Brawl used to have Rainbow Cruise legal. Walk-offs are just easy kills with some characters. Fox in Melee can just wave-shine someone to death. Thats a bit broken.
  5. Stage hazards can be unpredictable and can give the match to someone who doesn't really deserve it. Halberd is legal in Brawl but thats because the hazards are so advertised they can be avoided easily
  6. No items. They're unbalanced. See Pits final smash compared to Fox's. Besides final smashes they're still unbalanced. Whoever gets the first kill gets item control for the rest of the match pretty much. its not very good for the person losing.
  7. ???? idk about that one lol
  8. Brawl isn't competitive trash. It does just fine competitively. Its all a matter of opinion on that one. People don't like it because you can't combo.
  9. Wolf is as much of a clone of Fox as Luigi is to Mario. So is Falco.
  10. No one for sure can say that.
  11. Meh they all seem decent for specific stages. For example Rosalina will be a bad pick on a small stage since theres no room for her to stay away from her opponents. She wants to stay away as much as she can so she needs a bigger stage. Little mac wants a stage without platforms so he doesn't have to jump. Its all very subjective. Meanwhile Palutena can take anyone on any stage at any time and still win :4palutena: unbiased opinion :troll:
  12. All the characters that were bad in brawl that were good in Melee will get buff since the major thing that killed them were the physics of the game. They mainly remained unchanged like Falcon.
  13. Metaknight pls nerf.
  14. Wave dashing is good for moving while doing an attack. Or just for movement in general. Look up Luigi's wave dash. Its good for mindgames too.
  15. Dash dancing is good for making your opponent go in and miss and then attack right after. Dodging doesn't give enough time to react to the opponents missed attack.
  16. I don't.
  17. Play to win
  18. Whatever ones have crazy gimmicks. Or ridiculous stage changes. If you want a good example look at every single stage for the 3ds.
  19. FD baby. or FD with platforms. Or a tilting stage like lylat. Even some transforming stages.
  20. Counterpicking. Lets say I lost a match on Pokemon stadium as Marth against a Fox. I'd want to go to FD so I can chaingrab fox and he won't land on a platform to end the chain. I can basically combo him from 0% to death on FD as Marth. But I can't on other stages. This gives me the advantage.

Beats

Smash Cadet
1. There's something I think is very important that people aren't really talking about. Options. That is, to have a good variety of ways of dealing with different situations. Every character has flaws. The more a player has to work against those flaws, the easier it is to figure out what they are doing. And once that is figured out, and they have no other viable options to deal with it, you can bet your opponent will abuse your weaknesses.

I think in the end, this is what match ups boil down to. If a character can put another character into situations where there isn't much they can do, they have an advantage. The more options you have of dealing with these, the better your match ups, the better the character.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Wariofan nailed most of them so in the interest of brevity I'm only going to respond to ones where I have something to add.

There are certain traits in smash that are desirable.

- Having strong combos or other reliable damage dealers so you can build damage quickly
- Having good kill moves so you can land KOs reliably
- Having good range or projectiles, so you can control space and deal damage safely
- Being mobile, so you can approach against projectile users
- Having a good recovery, so you can survive longer

Most of the good characters have 4 or all 5 of these things.

The problem is that if you allow any items at all, you get exploding capsules. If you could turn on items while item containers remained off it's possible that some items would be allowable, though the difficulty of agreeing on specifically which items to allow just makes items off much easier to run.

8- Brawl is "competitive trash"??
Brawl's main problem is that its balance is completely terrible. Most characters have no solid answers to strong keepaway characters, and Metaknight dominates all. If you enjoy how Brawl plays, you should check out Balanced Brawl, which is a Brawl hack that still keeps all of Brawl's mechanics but tweaks the cast so that pretty much everyone is viable (Olimar still seems super strong though from the last time I played it).

Last edited:

One Handed Sword

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1005-9385-3445

Well I can answer those 2 questions thanks to my SF4 exp. For the first one a character is really good for these reasons

1 = Can deal with lots of situations quickly and effectively
2 = If they are the best at what they do E.G a rushdown character that can wipe you out when they get close or zoner that can keep you zoned with not alot of problems
3 = Having good pokes. This is underrated but any character with a few great pokes can make them a really powerful one.
However they are still not immune to faults and may have trouble with certain strategies.

For a broken character they need this attribute

They can zone,rush you down and have a really strong defense then this is where they get broken due to them removing loads of options from other characters. Think of Seth but with Zangief health. Scary right? Because unlike a good character they are immune to faults. But thats just my two cents on the matter.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Look at my answer to Question 6 in particular.

Responsive controls and the ability to compensate for weaknesses. Low-tier characters consistently have both weaknesses that can very consistently be exploited and high amounts of attack lag.

When no amount of discussion can find a weakness outside of a few specific characters. :foxmelee: was fair as any of the viable cast could potentially beat him, despite his power. :metaknight: wasn't because only a few characters had an even plausible way to get through his movements and infinite-priority attacks.

Stages where the advantage for any particular character isn't severe enough to have a guaranteed impact on the turnout of the match.

If any character has a noticeable advantage, or if a random element is too intrusive.

Characters normally balanced by poor recovery are rendered unstoppable, and characters whose strength is their recovery are at a severe disadvantage. Not to mention throws are an OHKO.

Major ones are intrusive and distract from the match. They interrupt momentum and can mess up both players, making it an overall less enjoyable experience.

5.1- Even small ones?

No.

I'm proud to say that I'm part if the Item Standard Play user group, which is trying to find which items would be acceptable in a tournament setting.

ISP for 64/Melee is impossible, as exploding capsules can spawn right into an attack.

For Brawl, P:M, and 3D/U, though, containers can be turned off, eliminating that problem.

I don't understand this question.

This debate could go on forever, but one thing's a fact - it's boring as all hell to watch.

No. His playstyle is entirely different, both functionally and aestheticaly.

I doubt anyone can say that with a straight face.

Interesting, to say the least. :rosalina: in particular looks like she'll be pretty dangerous.

-:gameandwatch:, as he has always been the exact opposite of what I think constitutes a good character. He's light as a feather and his attacks are horribly slow.

-:ganondorf2:, because even in casual play, he was extremely awkward-feeling. He moved and felt like a crippled old man instead of a powerful wizard.

-:iceclimbers:. Nobody likes watching an easy, reliable zero-to-death chain grab.

-:metaknight:. His attack priority at the very least needs to be shut down.

Other people use it as a faster movement method that can be chained directly into attacks, but I never used it.

It reduces running startup when you need to move.

Because people are *****. Next question.

It's less risky than the more lethal offstage meteor smashes. But it doesn't always work when the opponent recovers enough to get on the platform, and the ledge-ee is left vulnerable.

Four words: High risk, high reward.

That's too soon to say. We haven't seen all of most of them yet.

Massive amounts of discussion and arguing.

There's three matches in a competitive "set". Counterpick stages can't be chosen in the first match because they provide a slight advantage to some characters (though not enough to be banned), but the loser of the first match can choose them in order to get back on top.

Last edited:

wafflini

Smash Apprentice
A character that has many options to address many different situations in an effective manner. That being said, i only really use characters that have a playstyle that fits with me.

When a character has no real weaknesses and excels in all situations.

Simple stages

Easy to camp near the edge and gimp someone off the side

They detract from the natural gameplay and make people focus more on running away than fighting.

5.1- Even small ones?
I think something like norfair is alright.

You can play with all the items you want, but in a serious competitive situation, they thrown in an element of luck that can greatly affect a match

wat

I dont think so. I actually enjoy it more than melee.

Id say semi clone. He has a lot of moves based off of fox, but they have a good bit of differences in their properties.

I dont.

Lucina will most likely be high simply because she has options to many things
Wiifit trainer will probably be pretty high, but not dominate due to lack of popularity. All her moves have solid knock-back and damage, as well as large hitboxes.
Little mac i see being high mid.
Im personally maining the villager.

I would like rob to have a different side-b
Jiggleypuff needs to have better range.

metaknight, lol

I dont think its all that great, but i wont deny it is useful (im not a melee player, see). It lets you use any move you could use standing, but while moving, and provides a great way to move about the stage

Mind games, positioning.

Ego

How is it unfair? You are using your abilities to win against the opponent.

wat

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
You guys are all great!
Seriously, you've given me so much good info on how the people who frequent the competitive scene view such things, and now I understand! Now I have a different angle to view things about certain aspects so I can tell what the heck you're thinking! :rotfl: Likes for all! Specially you, @ MasterOfKnees MasterOfKnees , you da man :shades:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I chose not to answer some questions here because they might have been too opinionated, the answer was obvious or I'd just be saying the same thing as others here word for word lol.
Fast movement, fast attacks, powerful attacks, good recovery, good combo potential, not being overly susceptible to combos, having a projectile of some sort, etc. You know, the obvious stuff.

When a character has too many options and ones that are far too powerful for the majority of other characters to deal with (eg. Meta Knight) or when their playstyle destroys gameplay (Ice Climbers).

Ones without walkoffs and walls (more on this below). Stages with hazards are sometimes okay but not preferred.

When hazards are too frequent, unpredictable and dangerous. Sometimes a stages size (like Temple) can be an issue because it turns the whole match into a game of runaway. Also stages like Hanenbow just have a layout that is too obscure for easy and fast navigation.

Depends on what game you're playing. In Melee, it was Fox's "waveshine" (Reflector -> slide forward -> Reflector -> slide forward, rinse and repeat) that messed up stages with walkoffs. Basically, he could "waveshine" an opponent across the stage all the way to the walkoff for an easy KO. Note that weight comes into play here. I believe this only works if your opponent is greater in weight than Roy... which is about half of the playable characters I think.
In Brawl, Dedede was mostly the problem, but pretty much any chaingrab where the user has to move counts. Basically you grab your opponent, then release or throw them (depending on the character you're playing as and also the character your opponent is playing as) and then grab them again. Rinse repeat until your opponent reaches the walkoff and dies.

It's not so much the items that are the problem but rather them randomly spawning. Also it just helps with clarity to ban all or no items, instead of some of them. What good is your tournament if no-one understands the rules?

8- Brawl is "competitive trash"??
Slow paced which makes it not exciting for viewers (even though the players could be having loads of fun), disgusting balance, too many inescapable combos that lead to extremely high damage output if not death entirely (eg. Fox vs Pikachu; if Pikachu grabs Fox once, Fox dies), generally hampered mobility compared to Melee, defensive options are too powerful, etc etc

I don't still play Brawl, but no, Wolf is not a clone. Anyone who says that has never used or analysed any of Wolf's moves other than his specials (and even then, his special moves have notable differences).

None of us. Some of us just see the game being more like Brawl than the other entries in the series thus far.

Pretty much any character who has had a history of being in the bottom half of the tier list. So Zelda, Bowser (mission accomplished here) and Link, for example. What reasons? They stink lol and they shouldn't. Justice needs to be dealt. Also Ganondorf, who went from a viable character in Melee, to a totally unusable character in Brawl.

Baiting is one use. You can move towards your opponent, have them try to attack you and then quickly get out of the way and dash back in to counterattack. Also, using dash dancing means you don't have to sit through the turnaround animation and thus turn around faster and also not lose as much acceleration.

How doesn't it? Smash is one of the only fighting games out there to even feature off-stage play. The whole game's goal is to push your opponent so far off the stage that they can't make it back. So by that logic, going offstage to hit your opponent again is just increasing your lead (whilst also putting yourself at risk). May as well embrace what Smash is about. ;)

Last edited:

Senario

Smash Ace
Questions!

Having a good amount of options and followups for their moves. Like combos, spacing, decent kill moves, ect.

When one character clearly outshines the rest of the cast with minimal skill level to play. Fox is not like this because nobody can play frame perfect fox yet, but 20XX is upon us so who knows. Fox isn't known to win tourneys often besides mango simply because even though he is the best he is hard as heck to play.

Neutral stages with none of the stuff in question 4. Usually comes with 1-3 platforms that may or may not move or none at all.

Any stage that doesn't have the following: walk offs(blast zones that you can walk to), No stage hazards(things that directly hurt you most of the time, things like Dream land 64 wind is fine), traveling stages, and things like Pokefloats and Temple which is too big.(though pokefloats is hilarious)

So, overcentralization is the big deal, when walk offs were legal we realized that the optimal way to play was to wait for the opponent at the edge then simply grab them or hit them into the blast zone. It was fairly easy and for characters both in brawl and melee it simply made the entire game be about camping out near the zone and shooting projectiles to get them to approach you. It made the ENTIRE game about that, and obviously that is not interesting or fun. Look at the 3DS tourney, you can see examples on the Ocarina of time stage. There was one match where literally both bowsers just camped out near the blast zone waiting for each other. And you have to imagine waveshining in melee or chain grabs in brawl made this worse. Smash 4 seems no different as grabs now send you REALLY far.

They aren't a true definition of skill since they are outside sources of damage that do not come from the opponent directly. Some have argued that you can predict them and for a while things like Mute city in Smash bros melee were legal. However people realized that being hit by a car was pretty random as is most damaging stage hazards. How do you counter something like Jungle Japes crocodile suddenly hopping out at you and spiking you to death?

5.1- Even small ones?
If it damages you in some way yes. But some things like Dream land 64's wind is ok, same with the cloud in the yoshi level, and of course transformations like pokemon stadium. But those are more of stage configuration things or minor things that affect you rather than big things like the barrel in the DK stage from 64 that spins around.

No, items spawn randomly and therefore are completely luck based and RNG. You can imagine what would happen if a less skilled player were to win by just happening to grab a lot of items. Or more likely, how silly combos can get with items since you can throw nearly all of them and some of them just outright kill the opponent. If it is bad when a less skilled player wins for competitive it is even worse when pro play boils down to who can get the most items rather than outplaying your opponent.

It isn't, the problem is most people also consequently say less than flattering things about competitive players and their opinions.

Disclaimer: Trash is his words not mine. I say it just isn't suited toward a good esport for viewing. It has its scene but it held back by a lot of the following.
First, Tripping - completely random and obviously random is bad for competition. Second - Terrible balance, some characters are literally F tier where another character will be able to kill them super easy. Third - Overreliance on defensive play, not to say it is bad for a competitive game to be defensive just that a lot of people found it uninteresting to watch compared to melee. And obviously competitive play and esports thrive off viewers. It was a lot of neutral game and not a lot of payout once you hit the opponent. 4) This was mostly because of Hitstun cancelling, after a few frames you can cancel out of hitstun with a dodge. This made it so any combos that characters would have had wouldn't matter unless they could hit the opponent within those few frames. Hence Metaknight being godlike. 5) Random input lag, whenever you did the input for a move there was a random amount of frames between your input and when this happened. Mostly discovered during project M's development this is part of the reason why people felt brawl was off.

N/A

We can't but we can say that first impressions make it strikingly similar to brawl and possibly not in a good way. First impressions are first impressions. If Nintendo makes the changes suggested at E3 we could see a game that would be able to surpass melee in time, obviously if they made the right choices.

:4wiifit: - Ok, decently good skills kinda floaty but floatyness doesn't mean bad because sheik in melee was floaty. :4lucina: - depending on how much damage her moves do, assuming she is the same speed as marth if marth's tipper is that much harder to hit without more damage payout lucina will be better. She likely is to be the "Marth" of this game. :4villager: - Some solid moves, decent options but we haven't seen enough. :4littlemac: - Really bad except for ground game, He can't recover worth anything and his ground game at the moment isn't enough to make up for this :rosalina: - good moveset, would be an interesting but hard character to play as. Not sure if she'll ever be as good as ice climbers in terms of dual character types but she seems ok. :4robinm::4robinf: - Spells have really long ending animation, levin sword has really long end lag, unless he has significant damage on his moves I can't see him being higher than being just "average". Losing your recovery if you use your up B too much sounds really detrimental since a lot of top level play is focused on keeping the opponent off the stage, if you keep having to make it back to stage then run out of tome you died earlier than you would have for other characters like fox who can use long range recoveries very well and as often as they want. His moves better be good, he isn't very fast. :4megaman: - Unsure, seems ok but the entire premise of only long ranged moves seems odd. Need more info and practice time
:4pacman:-I don't even want to talk about this guy. I don't like him. :4palutena:-Insane long ranged moves, Not sure what was thought of when balancing this character but hopefully she'll work out. I just don't think the size of some of these moves makes any sense balance wise. But who knows? :4mii:- Erm, good? I dunno kinda up in the air. :4greninja::substitute:-Fast, looks fairly strong, likely to be up there in terms of possible really good characters.

:4falcon: - Nothing is more hype than knee combos, Falcon never wins any melee tourneys but he is definitely a fan favorite due to his style. Also his knee was terrible in brawl due to the cap on the amount of momentum he could carry from his run to his jump...also hitstun cancelling.

:4zss: - Already a solid character in brawl, has no reason to be buffed in Smash 4. :4marth: in comparison got destroyed by nerfs.

It gives you options. It gives you the option to reposition yourself at a moment's notice for both offensive and defensive capabilities. You can use it to go in, you can use it to move back then counter with a smash (marth does this quite a bit), you can use it for combos like waveshining(a lot harder to do than you think), you can use it for landing on platforms(wave landing) by jumping full height and instead of continuing to go up you wavedash onto the platform so you can jump again and follow up, you can use it to edgeguard which is a highly useful technique for all players and all tiers, and a multitude of reasons why (Luigi wavedash is insane). It would take too long to list them all but the key here is that it provided a lot of options and good player choice as to "do I wavedash? Waveland? Do I wavedash and do this and that? Do I jump and not wavedash and instead to an air move?

Mind games and repositioning, mind games being a kind of mental game you play with your opponent making them unsure of what you are going to do and stuff it is kinda hard to explain but it is a general fighting game thing. Repositioning is more of just the same functionality as wavedashing except easier, dashing is still very much a useful technique as it makes use of a character's speed to dash out, dash in, and get across the stage.

N/A but I don't think anybody considers themselves the "real players" any player to do so both competitive and casual would be completely off base.

Because the game is focused on preventing your opponent from getting back onto the stage, it may seem unfair to some people but in competitive play there are no rules such as "Oh this move is too cheap so we won't use it". No Johns. Also, it is highly useful and good for a lot of characters, not all of which is top tier. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a character like ganon, yoshi, and so on do well because they had the method to keep the opponent off the stage. Also, it only covers one recovery option, sweet spotting the ledge. If the opponent recovers high like mango often does you have to predict which way they will fall. Or if they jump and airdodge onto the stage you just wasted your time being on the edge, sure you MIGHT be able to ledge hop out and attack but that is all dependent on other stuff.

It offers a lot of excitement, you don't know if the person will be able to hit the opponent and prevent them from recovering to the ledge. It is sort of like the equivalent of taking out a character in Marvel, the neutral game is all well and good but taking a stock and gaining an advantage is really really exciting. Off Ledge play is exactly this, excitement. If getting your opponent off the ledge meant nothing and the opponent would always recover/always die at a certain percent it would be like every other fighting game ever with hp bars. But smash you can lose a stock at ANY Percent, and that is really exciting.

Follow above rules: Accepted in Wii U is FD, Battlefield, Maybe the animal crossing stage. We are unsure if you can turn off stage bosses so not counting those.

Above rules for a good stage.

21- Explain what "counter-pick" stages are all about! Please
Counter pick stages, ok so some characters have movesets that are just really good on some stages granting them a better chance mathematically of winning. Marth really does well on Fountain of Dreams for example, this is due to a multitude of reasons, how big the entire stage is blast zone to blast zone, the configuration of the stage itself and it's platforms, essentially a counter pick stage is a stage that you CAN pick if you lose the first game in a 2\3 match, counter pick stages are often not open to be picked in the first game because they favor some characters too heavily. Melee pokemon stadium is exactly this. You choose the stage to give yourself an edge over your opponent's character who is already picked if you are picking stage in second game. I'm personally not too big on this since I find the numbers very hard to memorize with all other life things going on but generally it adds another layer of depth to the game and forces both players to be good at ALL legal stages rather than just one standard stage. Or picking a character that is only really really good on that singular stage.

All of this is from what I understand, I may have glossed over a few points so forgive me if it isn't comprehensive. Also OPINIONS, don't get all upset ok? Because if you do I won't reply likely lol.

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team

5.1- Even small ones?
1. A character is good if he, she, or it has an overall favorable match-up spread against the rest of the cast. For instance, in Brawl, Mr. Game & Watch might beat Mario 7 times out of 10 if the Mario and Mr. Game & Watch are equally skilled, but he'll only beat a Snake player 3 times out of 10 with again equal skill. You average that out across the entire cast, weight appropriately for metagame relevance (that is, since Mario is overall a much worse character than Snake, it's more bad to lose to Snake than it is good to beat Mario since Snake will be much more heavily represented in tournament). In this sense, the worth of any character is defined by how that character's particular attributes stack up to the particular qualities of the other characters.

If you want to delve into the particular common mechanics behind good characters, here's the easiest way to make good guesses. Start by giving them a reasonable rating for attack speed, general attack power (define "power" as the full damage and knockback from the combos you might do off a single hit), and range/priority. That is, how fast can you attack, how much do you get as a reward for hitting, and how good is your attack at beating other attacks coming at it at the same time? The starting value of a character is excellent if they are strong in all three, high if they are strong in two, and low if they are only strong in one or zero of these areas. Then figure out how the two main points of other relevance factor in: survivability and mobility. Survivability is your total ability to make a stock last a long time, the overall effect of your weight, recovery ability, and general physical properties that let you escape combos (or get stuck in them...). Mobility is your general ability to navigate the stage quickly in a neutral position. IMO overall each of these counts for about half as much as the first three areas on a typical character. That's a pretty rough calculation and can easily lead you astray if you adhere too closely, but it will give you a good ballpark for why a character like Meta Knight is obviously great (top level attack speed and range/priority, average power, above average survivability and mobility) and a character like Ganon is bad (top level power but awful attack speed, average range/priority, bad survivability and horrible mobility).

2. It's best not to worry about this. If Meta Knight wasn't ban-worthy (and he wasn't), then no realistic smash character will ever be broken to a level warranting a ban.

3. Stages are a really subjective thing. A good stage should introduce minimal character bias relative to other stages (that is, it shouldn't be a "way too good" or "way too bad" stage for certain characters) and should not introduce substantial randomness into the results of the match. That is not to say a good stage necessarily excludes random elements; these random elements just need to be of the nature that player skill is the end-all for match outcomes.

4. A few things make a stage auto-banned. The main one is a loop; if one character can trivially run forever from a slower character, a stage isn't very playable. If the hazards are excessive and come without warning, this can also be a problem, but it's a fair deal more rare in practice than you might thing. In reality playability is kinda a scale, and most stages are within the realm of playable.

4.1. Walk-offs IMO aren't that bad, but they're mostly just unconventional. Within Melee and Brawl there are various tactics that allow combos to the edge of the stage which makes them instant kills on walk-off stages. It's not clear if anything like that exists in smash 4, but it is definitely the case that walk-offs have a fairly different skill test than ordinary stages since you cannot get off-stage kills, only direct kills.

5. Stage hazards are really overblown; they actually aren't that big of a deal in general. I'm sorry, but it's true. Good players should be able to consistently avoid stage hazards as they appear on most stages. When the stage hazards are very strong or come with minimal warning, it can be an issue as then you're introducing effective randomness, but this is rare in practice.

5.1. Stages with weak hazards are already fairly commonly allowed. The Halberd in Brawl is a very good example.

6. The problem with items is multi-fold. The short version is that having them on just makes the game worse. The still short but slightly longer version is that arbitrary rules are bad. Picking some particular list of items to have on is really arbitrary, and it would involve us basically designing the game to play like we want it to and favoring some things over others. This is bad and anti-competitive. All items on would be non-arbitrary, but it's horribly broken. If all items isn't okay, the next best option to avoid arbitrary decision making is all items off.

7. It's not?

8. It's not.

9. Fox isn't popular in Brawl, but Wolf is relatively non-clonish. This is not an important issue competitively anyway; the tournament culture is that anyone can use any character, and we don't need to judge the design merit of the characters like that.

10. No one.

11. From my experiences with the demo, Greninja was one of the better characters, Little Mac, Villager, and Wii Fit Trainer seemed about average, and Mega Man and Rosalina seemed somewhat below average but not that bad. That's a dangerous question though since the game is still in development and everything could change... that and the metagame was not very well explored in our brief time.

12. I'm pretty happy with most of the buffs I saw in the demo. Bowser, Samus, Mario, and Link all needed a lot of help, and they got it. Zelda still needs a lot of help she didn't seem to get though. In terms of the revealed characters we haven't gotten to play, Captain Falcon and Charizard IMO will need a lot of help from Brawl; I'll be interested to see what's done with them.

13. I don't particularly hope for nerfs though if Meta Knight comes back he definitely should be toned down to be more like a normal character. As long as no character is significantly better than every other character like Meta Knight was in Brawl, I'll be happy.

14. It's a mobility option by which you can move on the ground about as fast as you might run wtih most characters but retain your full range of standing options, and it lets you grab ledges really fast as well. It's really not the end of the world one way or another, but it was pretty useful.

15. Dash dancing is basically a trick to fake people out since you can threaten to instantly be running at full speed in either direction while slowly creeping forward or backward.

16. People have egos? I haven't heard that phrase really used around here to be honest so I don't know how to answer that.

17. The game lets you do it. That's the only criteria for a fair tactic. Being competitive is all about not having those mental barriers that prevent you from doing what you need to do to win.

18. It's really tense! Smash isn't about wearing down health bars and winning or losing; it's about losing stocks off that one critical moment. While that can be landing a power hit on-stage, an exciting off-stage showdown where the attacker gambles his stock to chase the victim off-stage and finish the job is really exciting for all parties.

19. IMO about half of the stages look competitively "very good" so far.

Wii U: Battlefield, Final Destination, Town and City, Pilotwings, Skyloft, Mushroom Kingdom U, Halberd, maybe Pokemon League, maybe Great Fox
3DS: Battlefield, Final Destination, Prism Tower, Rainbow Road, Arena Ferox, Tortimer's Island, maybe Pac Maze, maybe Tomodachi Life, maybe Paper Mario, maybe Jungle Japes

We need more info really.

20. It's complex and political.

21. After you lose a game but if the set is not over, you get to pick the next stage. That way, you can pick your best stage and have a little more going for you in the next game to try to bring things back. Some tournaments have specific stages that are not legal in the first game but are only legal as such a pick, and those are known as "counterpick" stages. IMO it's a fairly outdated concept to have stages only legal at such a time, and it is mostly going away.

Sorry if not all of those answers (other than #1!) were that thorough, but some of these are questions that could have very lengthy discussions on them! I did my best.

KeketheBasedCat

Smash Apprentice
good matchups, good performances on legal stages, good metagame from its fanbase, good options in a variety of situations.

In order for a character to be broken, it means that that character literally (using the word for its real meaning, not emphasis) cannot be beaten in a match between one player playing the broken character and a player of equal skill using any other character. There has never been a 'broken' character in any of the smash games, despite what many people would have you think. Unfairly good characters, yes. Broken, no. it's just a bunch of people misusing the word broken or not having an understanding of the character/game (metaknight/brawl).

If it intentionally goes out of its way to kill you, or if its shape/terrain is simply game-changing.

No. it's competitive in a way that's less exciting to watch than Melee. You have to make a read or mixup in basically every single interaction with your opponent, since there are no real combos besides chaingrabs. It's competitive, just a majority of the community doesn't prefer it because it's not as exciting to spectators.

No we don't. And no, pretty clearly not. Similar, yes. Clone, no.

Nobody, because it's not out yet and not finalized.

I think Wii Fat Trainer's AAA combo is gonna be nuts, since it comes out fasst, has decent range, leads into kills at high percents (since it ground-pounds you) and, so far, can't be sdi'd out of. Greninja also looks very good.

13. Nerfs? Why?
Metaknight, because he was clearly just a bit too good. Ice climbers I think should keep the infinite chaingrabs, except make solo-popo just 100% unviable. That way nana getting killed is just as devestating as getting grabbed by ICs. Suppose it'll be like Marvel.

Because it was included as a mechanic....

Basically, some characters can have big advantages or disadvantages on different types of stages. It can be a certain gimmick, like Sonic's invincibility on Yoshi's Island in Brawl, or a general compliment to a characters's tools, like FD for Marth in Melee. Or, it can be a purely mental thing, if the player is just more comfortable on a certain stage. [/quote]

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
You guys are all great!
Seriously, you've given me so much good info on how the people who frequent the competitive scene view such things, and now I understand! Now I have a different angle to view things about certain aspects so I can tell what the heck you're thinking! :rotfl: Likes for all! Specially you, @ MasterOfKnees MasterOfKnees , you da man :shades:
Wariofan hit it right on the money.
Aww, you guys :chuckle:

Echirtroim

Smash Rookie
Being a person who couldn't sleep and has absolutely nothing to do, I'll try to answer these questions to the best of my ability. *sticky note - "my opinion is not law, and I'm not that competetive"*

What makes a character good to me divies into a plethora of attributes. I tend to like the quick ones in fighting games more, but I don't mind spending extra time getting to know the slow and heavy hitters as well. Each character has their ups and downs, and the best strategy is to learn them quick and in ANY match use their "ups" to your advantage. I also like characters that stand out, and they've made a genious design choice to let the primary colors bleed out more. They've made plenty of great choices in the playstyle of the characters

Speaking moreso in a competetive nature, I like characters that are easy to pick up. I like to boot up training mode for much more than just items and tomfoolery galore. I set the speed to a micro-crawl to see when and where to hit my opponent, and then I slowly adjust the speed to recognize those points much faster.(I used to do this for hours at a time, especially on Melee).I'll aim to main Diddy Kong(the fast), Ike(the somewhat slow heavy hitter), and Rosalina(midground tacticion).

Now, I already know, some people are already going to say Sonic and Metaknight are broken. In fact, at the tournaments I've been to, they've been banned from being played. I'd like to note that the only way I can see a character ever being broken, is if they can never take damage. It all really depends on how the player uses the character, and spamming one single move is not a good tactic, nor does it show any true skill. If they spam, recognize their pattern and take them down.. It's as simple as that.

Oh man, I love allllll kinds of stages. I especially love stages that will take you and set you in a different area of the course, and you can jump around on platforms.. OOOOOOOooooooo Babay! Variety platforms in a single stage is always welcomed by me.

D: No... THIS DOES EXIST TO ME!!!!. -ahem-.. I wouldn't exactly call the types of stages I visit less often "unplayable", but more of a pain to the focus on the fight. Any sidescrolling ones, whether it be left, right, up or diagonal. It's not that I can't handle them. I'll accept their existence, because their going to exist.

walk-offs? As in someone giving up and just jumping off the stage? To me, it shows that the other person participating is just giving up. It's no big deal, but if anyone ever gets sad at their lack of skill, be that person to say "hey, it's ok. We can hit up training mode and I'll lessen my skill, but increase it as you get better. Keep an eye on my tactics to adapt yours to mine and you'll find the weakness." The reality is, some people are a bit slow to incoming information. I'm not saying their daft, but some people can register information incredibly fast.

I've no feelings for nor against them in regards to boss stage hazards. If they show up, cool: fight but watch out. If they don't: cool, fight.

5.1- Even small ones?

It's no biggie, damage builds character.

Yes, this is something I will commonly do -- Turn off the items-- It includes everything. Mr. Saturn, Homerun Bat, Landmine, and even... The Smash Ball.. Do I have some dreadful hate towards the items? No, not at all. Their always welcomed, but I do like a good match sometimes with none of them on screen.

Saying that the game looks so cool, doesn't ruin anything at all. Freedom of Speech is a right I hope we'll keep until the end of human existence.

People could be saying Brawl is "competetive trash" for just any of the million reasons they may have. They could dislike the tripping system and say it's no good. Nah, it's great regardless of the tripping system. Just get back up, and just brush off any attacks if anyone hits your percentage up. They also say that it's "slow" for battle. To me, maybe online, but against friends, no.

I say no he's not. They have some similarities though, such as shooting a gun, an UpB that charges towards a person, but with different effects. and a DownB that reflects. Other than those, their moveset is quite different.

I say it's just its own game in the library of Smash Bros.

Their all competetive, and I can see someone becoming beast with Little Mac, regardless of his weak arials, and just the same for Wii Fit Trainer.

Well, every character is said to have customization, and I'm sure every little bit will either effect them in both buff/nerfs.. Although, customization can't be used online.

Meep.

I'm neutral with my opinion on that one.

I'm not sure what that is.

I'm part of the some who doesn't consider myself as such. I'm just an average bloke who can play really really good at Smash Bros.

In Melee and Brawl.. It's kind of disgraceful. When I knock someone out of the ring, I'll just wait for them to come back and commence the fight, OR juggle them in the air as much as possible. Luckily in this new installment, they made it so when a character is falling towards the ledge and someone is already on it, they get a snap-back and bam, no more king of the ledge/I'm muffassa, but you're the one who'll fall.

I'm not so sure about this one.

Hopefully, none.

I haven't come across any here, in this small quiet town.

I think counter-pick stages are if a person loses, they get to choose the next stage. I'm not sure.

[Edit: Should've read the other replies before replying. Oh well. A good read goes well with coffee]

Last edited:

KeketheBasedCat

Smash Apprentice

Now, I already know, some people are already going to say Sonic and Metaknight are broken. In fact, at the tournaments I've been to, they've been banned from being played.
What tournament did you go to where Sonic was banned? Sonic is lower-mid tier in Brawl, assuming you were talking about Brawl.

Echirtroim

Smash Rookie
What tournament did you go to where Sonic was banned? Sonic is lower-mid tier in Brawl, assuming you were talking about Brawl.
I was talking about Brawl. It was a tournament held by the College I was going to. There wasn't a whole lot of people in it, but I smashed(punfun) the compitition ;] Or lack thereof. Either way, they banned him, because he was "fast" and "unfair".. All childish reasons, really.

KeketheBasedCat

Smash Apprentice
I was talking about Brawl. It was a tournament held by the College I was going to. There wasn't a whole lot of people in it, but I smashed(punfun) the compitition ;] Or lack thereof. Either way, they banned him, because he was "fast" and "unfair".. All childish reasons, really.
Yeah that sounds like the TO was just someone who who had played with his high school friends a good amount and based all his smash info off of what the 4 of them had considered 'unfair'

Top Bottom