• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

20XX Tournament Edition Now Available!

After months of waiting, the highly anticipated Melee mod by Dan Salvato is out! 20XX Tournament Edition not only includes a wide variety of features, but it can power up an entire venue with one memory card.

The Best Melee Yet

20XX Tournament Edition includes many unique aspects to create the ultimate Melee experience. Some new features include:

• Replays: Save match replays after a match by pressing Z on the character select screen. This feature is extremely useful for studying matches and capturing high quality tournament sets.
  • Designed to Copy: With the ability to copy GameCube memory card save data, one 20XXTE memory card or save file can fuel an entire tournament.
  • Frozen Mode: Disables Shy Guys on Yoshi's Story, Wind on Dreamland 64, background transitions on Final Destinations, the barrel on Kongo Jungle 64, and the transformations on Pokémon Stadium.
  • Extended Name Entry: Name tags can now be as long as characters, including lowercase letters.
  • Taunt Battle: A new game mode where players duke it out in teams to taunt the most as Mario!
  • Tournament Mode: Disables all features that would be interfere with tournaments. Additionally, settings can be locked in to avoid tampering.
A full list of features with detailed explanations can be found here.

Download/Install

20XX Tournament Edition is compatible with a normal copy of Melee on the GameCube/Wii, Wii Homebrew, and Dolphin. A download and full installation guides for 20XXTE can be found here. Enjoy playing 20XX Tournament Edition, and a very special thank you to Dan Salvato for creating this incredible modification!

Comments

Just want to say thanks for correcting misinformation, Myougi.
Both dan and archilles1515 are great at modding. Keeping things opensource and free to change is always good.

Am I the only one who feels like 20XX:TE is a little...illegitimate? Like, he basically stole the concept for Achilles' project, just making it a little prettier and adding some (admittedly impressive) new features. Not to mention that they're selling the memory cards with the codes on them. Yes, I know that they make the codes and such available online, but I feel like they should've just developed a Wii homebrew app to simplify transferring the hacked save to a memory card in the first place. I dunno. While this is certainly exciting, it just really rubs me the wrong way, ya know?
Nah.

Well they should use sd remix so it won't be Fox Fox Fox all the time. The lower tier would have a much better chance.
Melee is not fox fox fox all the time and if you think it is you don't watch it enough. SD remix is its own thing, why would it replace melee?
Tournaments use neither. They use regular Melee.
Tournaments are going to start using 20xxte now because replays and special stuff

Does anybody know if/how you can run this on a hacked wii with homebrew through an sd card. I can transfer the files from the sd to a gc mem card and run it on on the gamecube or the will as long as melee is in the disc tray is there a way to run 20xxte on a rom?

This surely won't be used on big tourneys tho right? Like nationals for example... Nintendo won't be fond of the modding of their game one bit. So at the end the whole "Frozen mode thing" its a bit out of place because you will still need to deal with those things on an actual big tourney.

Replays feature is amazing tho! I just dont want people to risk it das all.
the regular 20xx mod was used during the finals of Evo 2014 (edit: always get the year wrong). The mod will be fine as long as you use texture edits to be the same as vinilla.
If it isn't advertised or is made a big deal out of by the tournament, then Nintendo doesn't have to acknowledge that we are using it. On stream change cameras to commentators or a Nintendo advert when saving replays or stagestriking. Nintendo likes advertising games that have nothing to do work the event right?

Last edited:
Maybe it's more that PM is on life support. Hitbox doesn't have nearly the same amount of popularity as Twitch. And Project M's popularity has drastically declined since Nintendo intervened. I don't see it being around much longer.
I didn't really care for project m that much. For me like other people it was just something to hold over until smash 4 came out.

[QUOTE="Cam Coopa, post: 20527102, member: 334841 I mostly think that 20XXTE should be used just for practice. And also for saving replays.

Figured you guys might like some sick 20XX TE wallpapers I made.

20XX - A Cold Future (Black):

20XX - A Cold Future (Frost):

20XX A Cold Future (Frost) v2 (No blue coloration on Fox. Makes him pop out more):

Last edited:
How difficult/easy is it to mod Melee? This looks like a fun thing to do when I'm bored.
Surprisingly easy! GameCube Rebuilder takes ISOs and makes them normal files, HPS converter takes WAV sound and makes it useable in Melee, and 20XX and SD Remix are just files you place in the "rebuilt" ISO. Then, you use Rebuilder again and poof, you have an ISO!
#13YearOldHackerMeForTheWin

Does anybody know if/how you can run this on a hacked wii with homebrew through an sd card. I can transfer the files from the sd to a gc mem card and run it on on the gamecube or the will as long as melee is in the disc tray is there a way to run 20xxte on a rom?
Yes.
Download the save file, a digital GameCube memetic card file or make one by running a game with "Memcard emulation on" in Nintendont, dolphin and Nintendont. (Also, a Melee ISO. Clean rip it if you can.
Go to tools in Dolphin, then memcard manager. On the left, click browse and find your Memory Card Raw. Then click "Import GCI" and find the save. As soon as Melee shows up on the left, close the window. Find the card, rename it GALE and place it a folder called saves that should be made on the root of the device. Go to Nintendont, enable memory card emulation and start your Melee ISO (or GCReEX compression of one. That works as well, and takes up half the space)
I hope this helps!

Last edited:
It's amusing to me that people keep claiming that competitive Melee is Fox-only. You'd think people who wanted to post in a thread having to do specifically with Melee would have cleared up at least such a basic misconception as that.

Actually, I've heard it said that Melee's relative dearth of viable characters is part of the reason for its strength as a competitive game. The theory goes that having fewer characters to worry about on a high level makes it easier to dig deep into the particulars of common matchups, rather than having to be able to handle a lot of different matchups cursorily as in Project M and Sm4sh. If I recall correctly, this is also the reason why Rivals of Aether will only have eight characters.
I think you got the right idea that smaller cast means it is easier to learn specific tricks in match-ups or learn your character more since the cast shank and less to choose from.

That might be considered a strength, but in reality that is also a weakness.

It can make focus of a game stronger to learning match-ups but that isn't adding inherit depth, you would actually have more with a larger cast if you made more of them viable, PM/Smash4/StreetFighter4/LeagueofLegends etc. You have less to learn because the game has less that works in it.

Now Melee isn't all Fox/Fox/Fox and he's not metaknight, but let's be real.

http://smashboards.com/rankings/melee/league
http://smashboards.com/rankings/melee/league/teams

He's not what I would call fair at least in the context of game balance. Which is more or less why people get sick of him so much. None of the other smash games, except for Brawl which more or less no one hosts anymore, is close to that.

Acceptable without banning? Yes.
Balanced? Not really.

He is a lot higher in results, a lot higher.

I don't think the worse off balance of the game does it good, in fact quite the opposite. But if MvC2 and Melee, it's not a requirement but it does add value to the game.

If anything is to be said, the balance at the top is shifting a lot even if his dominance and popularity is sort of fading.

We are seeing him less and less. Samus showed up a lot at dreamhack which is really really weird.

I understand the sentiments of Fox/Fox/Fox even if it isn't true, but they aren't far off for what it has been for a while, Dreamhack was also on PAL which may or may not have had influence in those results as well.

The tl;dr,

I don't think Melee's worse off balance does it good, in fact the opposite even if some positives come from it. I get why people would say Fox/Fox/Fox but to say that is all you see in Melee, it isn't true. Though to say he isn't really strong/still kind of dominant in it would be a lie.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who feels like 20XX:TE is a little...illegitimate? ... Not to mention that they're selling the memory cards with the codes on them. While this is certainly exciting, it just really rubs me the wrong way, ya know?
Yeah.. That's definitely sketchy and illegal to sell a gamemod. They could sell it if it was only to pay for the price of the memory card it comes on.

I think you got the right idea that smaller cast means it is easier to learn specific tricks in match-ups or learn your character more since the cast shank and less to choose from.

That might be considered a strength, but in reality that is also a weakness.

It can make focus of a game stronger to learning match-ups but that isn't adding inherit depth, you would actually have more with a larger cast if you made more of them viable, PM/Smash4/StreetFighter4/LeagueofLegends etc. You have less to learn because the game has less that works in it.

Now Melee isn't all Fox/Fox/Fox and he's not metaknight, but let's be real.

http://smashboards.com/rankings/melee/league
http://smashboards.com/rankings/melee/league/teams

He's not what I would call fair at least in the context of game balance. Which is more or less why people get sick of him so much. None of the other smash games, except for Brawl which more or less no one hosts anymore, is close to that.

Acceptable without banning? Yes.
Balanced? Not really.

He is a lot higher in results, a lot higher.

I don't think the worse off balance of the game does it good, in fact quite the opposite. But if MvC2 and Melee, it's not a requirement but it does add value to the game.

If anything is to be said, the balance at the top is shifting a lot even if his dominance and popularity is sort of fading.

We are seeing him less and less. Samus showed up a lot at dreamhack which is really really weird.

I understand the sentiments of Fox/Fox/Fox even if it isn't true, but they aren't far off for what it has been for a while, Dreamhack was also on PAL which may or may not have had influence in those results as well.

The tl;dr,

I don't think Melee's worse off balance does it good, in fact the opposite even if some positives come from it. I get why people would say Fox/Fox/Fox but to say that is all you see in Melee, it isn't true. Though to say he isn't really strong/still kind of dominant in it would be a lie.

After months of waiting, the highly anticipated Melee mod by Dan Salvato is out! 20XX Tournament Edition not only includes a wide variety of features, but it can power up an entire venue with one memory card.

The Best Melee Yet

20XX Tournament Edition includes many unique aspects to create the ultimate Melee experience. Some new features include:

• Replays: Save match replays after a match by pressing Z on the character select screen. This feature is extremely useful for studying matches and capturing high quality tournament sets.
  • Designed to Copy: With the ability to copy GameCube memory card save data, one 20XXTE memory card or save file can fuel an entire tournament.
  • Frozen Mode: Disables Shy Guys on Yoshi's Story, Wind on Dreamland 64, background transitions on Final Destinations, the barrel on Kongo Jungle 64, and the transformations on Pokémon Stadium.
  • Extended Name Entry: Name tags can now be as long as characters, including lowercase letters.
  • Taunt Battle: A new game mode where players duke it out in teams to taunt the most as Mario!
  • Tournament Mode: Disables all features that would be interfere with tournaments. Additionally, settings can be locked in to avoid tampering.
A full list of features with detailed explanations can be found here.

Download/Install

20XX Tournament Edition is compatible with a normal copy of Melee on the GameCube/Wii, Wii Homebrew, and Dolphin. A download and full installation guides for 20XXTE can be found here. Enjoy playing 20XX Tournament Edition, and a very special thank you to Dan Salvato for creating this incredible modification!

i have a question... if i wanted to move my replays to my computer, how could i do that??

Tested out the replays real quick. Work great, no issues so far. Will do more benchmark type testing later. For now, I just had the 2nd player as a human doing nothing but I spammed control stick and 4 buttons for 8 minutes as jigglypuff after constantly resting. The match recorded everything but the last :32. Will test tomorrow to see how well it holds up to 2 controller input at a decent speed.

For your personal information... when it finally ran out, the replay used 100 blocks on my memory card. My 32x madcatz mem card has over 2000 blocks. That's a considerable number of replays you can save. Basically for max length replays... you can get 20 on your card.

The 32x cards are 128mb. I just ordered a 512mb card for $13... will let you know how it works out (or if it's a piece of crap).
http://www.amazon.com/GOCOMCOM®-512MB-Memory-compatible-Gamecube/dp/B011HEMLL8/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1449405830&sr=1-1&keywords=512mb+gamecube+memory+card
Save-wise that would be 80 max length replays to fill it up!

Last edited:
is there a bug reporting section? I found out that player 4 cant press z to access the replay menu. p4 can control the menu if someone else presses Z though. kind of minute, but as someone who likes to be player 4 and be in control when playing with friends i guess itd be nice to see fixed. every other player port is fine.

additionally, i think CPUs function kind of wierdly in replay mode. humans seem to be fine (which is important) but the cpus actions change in replays

Last edited:
Top Bottom