• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One Piece

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
So I found the old One Piece thread, but it was over a year old and was on the 17th page. That being said, with the formation of the new One Piece group here on SWF I decided it was best to make a new thread. So I give to you...

For those that are new to One Piece, it's the story of a young pirate named Monkey D. Luffy who decides that he wants to be the King of the Pirates. But the big blue world of One Piece is filled with many dangers; sea monsters, evil governments, fish men and other pirates. So to get to the throne, Luffy begins assembling a crew throughout his journey: Zoro the swordsman, Nami the navigator, Ussop the marksmen, Sanji the cook, Chopper the doctor, Robin the archaeologist, Franky the mechanic and Brook the musician (Luffy always wanted a musician).

But there is another thing in the One Piece world that they must deal with; there are mysterious fruits that grow across the world that, if some one (or thing) eats them, they gain a superpower...in exchange for losing the ability to swim! Luffy mistakenly ate one when he was a mere child and has since become the world's most notorious...Rubberman!

There is so much more to the plot than I can possibly say here. For those that want to catch up on old issues, look here: http://groups.msn.com/OnePieceMangav-2/ As for weekly spoilers, www.arlongpark.net is the best place.

With that out of the way, let the discussion commence! I'll try to get a little discussion going with each new chapter.

Virgilijus

BRoomer
OK, now, to start the discussion.

The new Sabaody Archipelago Arc is really building up steam. Since it's fairly new I think spoiler tags may be necessary:
I think every one saw Luffy punching Saint Chalros from a million miles away, but I'm still not sure how the Straw Hats are going to get out of this mess; we all know what happened the last time they fought an Admiral head on. Rayleigh definitely will have something to do with it, but Oda always seems to surprise me with his twists.

Also, what is everyone's favorite arc so far? I'm a big fan of the Alabasta, Skypeia and Enies Lobby Arcs.

Thino

Smash Master
predictable arc is predictable.
ever since the tenryuubitos were were introduced , i knew luffy was gonna involved in some weird manner with them, but not that fast lol
lets hope the admiral goin after them will be someone other than ao kigi

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Nice Thread, I'm a fan of One Piece as well, got every DVD and see the Japanese one's. But I'm not a fan of Manga's so I'm lost on that. But I'm up to date on the anime One Piece though.
Luffy getting involved in the world goverment is the best fight he ever had right now. :D

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Ah, very nice! I'm actually rereading all the One Piece manga before I get into the new arc, but I'll read the spoilers anyways.

My ext-hd broke so I had to download all the manga again, so I thought why not just read it over. :"p

One Piece group!
http://smashboards.com/group.php?groupid=28

Watching 357 reminds me why I love Sanji so much. I love Diablo Jamble!

Weed

Smash Lord
I love one piece, its my current favourite anime, I don't really like the manga though, it seems like the anime expresses the characters in a much better way

im at like episode 320-something

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
One Piece is among my favorite manga, and pretty much the pinnacle of shounen adventure manga, in my view. I'm extremely glad I decided to read the manga even after seeing the unimpressive 4kids dubs on Cartoon Network.

predictable arc is predictable.
ever since the tenryuubitos were were introduced , i knew luffy was gonna involved in some weird manner with them, but not that fast lol
lets hope the admiral goin after them will be someone other than ao kigi
While I agree the plot of the arc up till now has been somewhat predictable, I've enjoyed it immensely nonetheless, mostly because I think it's leading up to something amazing. And because I really have no clue about what's going to happen in this arc from here on out.

But I'm not a fan of Manga's so I'm lost on that. But I'm up to date on the anime One Piece though.
I love one piece, its my current favourite anime, I don't really like the manga though, it seems like the anime expresses the characters in a much better way
I don't understand how people can like the anime but not the manga, unless they don't like manga in general. Personally, I'm the other way around. I love the manga, but don't much care for the anime, even the Japanese version. The animation just kills it for me, unfortunately.

EDIT: And just to clarify, I definitely don't want to argue with anyone about the relative merits of the manga or the anime. I don't mind that anyone prefers the anime to the manga, and I'm not going to try to convince anyone that they should feel otherwise.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Spoiler... question?

Is there a mermaid that is gonna join Luffy's crew now? o_O; Or is Hatchan going to join?

Virgilijus

BRoomer
I don't think either will join; kind of like how Vivi was an honorary Strawhat during the Arabasta Arc but didn't go with them after it was over. And Hachi...well, I just don't see him as joining because he wouldn't fill any role on the ship.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I really need to get back into the series someday. I was keeping up with the new episodes as they came out in Japan, but when they had that few week break I got lost and haven't been able to keep up with it anymore.

I just have to say the CP9 arc was the best of what I've seen.

drcossack

Smash Ace
New spoilers are out: http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=18589

Kidd's devil fruit is all but revealed and a certain some one has showed up in the fray.

Ya. I wonder what
Kuma's gonna do, and how the other Supernovas are going to react to him. From what I've seen so far, Kidd was in panic mode. I'm sure the rest of the Strawhats won't be happy to see him.

I wanna see more Mihawk though.

drcossack

Smash Ace
This is looking to be another great chapter.

I'm wondering which Shichibukai are gonna be showing up to fight Whitebeard and his fleet? Why is Kuma at the archipelago?
Should be interesting to see what happens.

Chapter 504, Page 7 - Doflamingo says we've (referring to the Shichibukai) been called together by the Marines. I don't think all of them are going to show up though - everyone was surprised when Mihawk showed up for the meeting in chapter 234. That said, I'm guessing Jimbei, Blackbeard, and Doflamingo will be there.

Virgilijus

BRoomer
I don't think Kuma will kill Kidd, maybe take out killer or ugly face, but I think Kidd has to escape and make it to the New World.

Also, Kizaru is going to show up either next chapter and the one after that. And I think that something really bad is going to happen...maybe Whitebeard dying, though it's a longshot.

drcossack

Smash Ace
I don't think Kuma will kill Kidd, maybe take out killer or ugly face, but I think Kidd has to escape and make it to the New World.

Also, Kizaru is going to show up either next chapter and the one after that. And I think that something really bad is going to happen...maybe Whitebeard dying, though it's a longshot.
I'm still not even sure why Kuma showed up to begin with. It might be because of the Shichibukai v Whitebeard fight, but we'd probably see the others too.

Kizaru: I think Luffy will do something stupid and fight him. Unless the Yellow Monkey is a Logia user (Kizaru and Akainu probably are, but I have no idea what), I give Luffy the win (though it'll obviously be tough) - Luffy's body doesn't take any damage from punches (Garp is an exception; Luffy just has to hear the word Grandpa, and he's scared); Luffy's biggest problems have so far been Logias (Crocodile, Smoker, Aokiji)

Modest_Egoist

Smash Journeyman
CT's worst Peach. Float Cancelling... what's that?
He probably showed up cuz he heard that the Strawhats were the main offenders in the Human Shop. We'll find out next chapter though.

I think Kidd should be able to escape. Maybe since his power is magnetism, he can probably mess with Kuma's Pacifista metal parts. He'll need to figure out that Kuma is a cyborg first though.

Virgilijus

BRoomer
I don't think Luffy's reached the point where he can take on any admiral. There are three overbearing forces in the world; the Yonkou, the Admirals and the Shichibukai. Yes, Luffy has defeated two Shichibukai, but look at what Aokiji did to him; it was a massacre. Oda did that to set the admirals apart and say "These guys are the absolute strongest guys out there", the guys that destroy islands and are "in charge" of keeping the Shichibukai in order. That's three looking over seven, showing they must be incredibly strong. Luffy beating an Admiral here would put the series way too close to the end and if I recall correctly, Oda said the serious was maybe a little over half way done.

And I agree with the Kuma and Kidd thing; if he doesn't know he's metal then he may not think to use his power.

drcossack

Smash Ace
I don't think Luffy's reached the point where he can take on any admiral. There are three overbearing forces in the world; the Yonkou, the Admirals and the Shichibukai. Yes, Luffy has defeated two Shichibukai, but look at what Aokiji did to him; it was a massacre. Oda did that to set the admirals apart and say "These guys are the absolute strongest guys out there", the guys that destroy islands and are "in charge" of keeping the Shichibukai in order. That's three looking over seven, showing they must be incredibly strong. Luffy beating an Admiral here would put the series way too close to the end and if I recall correctly, Oda said the serious was maybe a little over half way done.

And I agree with the Kuma and Kidd thing; if he doesn't know he's metal then he may not think to use his power.
Aokiji is an Iceman though. Luffy's shown that he can't beat Logia users - Croc essentially killed him twice, and Smoker absolutely pwns him. The only one he's been able to do anything to was Eneru, and that's because Rubber > Electricity.

I admit it's likely Luffy wouldn't win against an Admiral - He had to combine Gear 2nd and 3rd just to beat Moria. We don't know what Kizaru can do either. I was looking on Onemanga for the chapter where it was stated that Aokiji was the strongest of the Admirals, but I couldn't find it.

DARKALONDITE

Smash Apprentice
I watch One Piece every now and then and I've tired to keep up with it but I'll just wait for the FUNimation dub to reach the U.S. Anyone know an easy way for me to catch up instead?

Virgilijus

BRoomer
New spoilers for Chapter 506!

Rayleigh reveals that Roger had a terminal disease and surrendered to the Marines, Law meets up with Kidd and both try to take on Kuma, and Kizaru shows up in spectacular fashion :)

This arc is so fast paced yet very well thought out (surprises at every turn)...I love it.

Also, who is everyone's favorite Supernova, excluding Luffy and Zoro. I think Kidd is pretty cool, Law being all right. I really think those three will be the lead of the new Pirate generation.

Thino

Smash Master
Law is awesome , the whole arc is already awesome and seems like more is coming
I cant wait to see what Kizaru's made of

drcossack

Smash Ace
Anyone kinda reminded of Spandyne when they see Kizaru?

Aokiji and Akainu were featured in the Enies Lobby flashbacks (391-398, page 7), and their real names were given (Kuzan and Sakazuki); Kizaru was the only one not shown or given a name.

::FalcoFTW::

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone know where to get some decent One Piece fansubs? I did follow vegapunk for a bit, but they kind of dropped the ball and haven't picked it up in like the past 3-4 months. I really like the manga and all, but I still enjoy seeing the chapters animated, so I need my One Piece anime and it's sad not having it...:(

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Does anyone know where to get some decent One Piece fansubs? I did follow vegapunk for a bit, but they kind of dropped the ball and haven't picked it up in like the past 3-4 months. I really like the manga and all, but I still enjoy seeing the chapters animated, so I need my One Piece anime and it's sad not having it...:(
Kaizoku-fansubs?

Shy Guy

BRoomer
BRoomer
One Piece 506 is out bruddas! :D It's an amazing ch...Certainly sheds some light on something we've been wanting to hear about since chapter 1. Oh yeah and Kuma versus Kidd AND Law's crews? Hell yes!

drcossack

Smash Ace
Riding into the Shabondy Archipelago on a cannonball?

Kizaru = badass.

Roger's backstory was interesting too - never thought I'd see the name Crocus appear again, especially not as Roger's doctor.

I re-read the chapters he appeared in, and he does mention Roger: Chapter 105, page 19

Virgilijus

BRoomer
I love how Oda had all of that planned out (including Brooke and Laboon) since chapter 105. Brook was introduced at what, chapter 475? That's 370 chapters where he just waited to piece together part of the puzzle. I love it. It really makes you go back and scour for where he planted those little hints :)

And I'm really wondering what Roger did i that one year between disbanding his crew and turning himself in...so many possibilities!

Top Bottom