• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 12/15/2015 Smash Direct Discussion Thread [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Well Masahiro Sakaurai, it's been fun, but I honestly prefer it if you don't come back for Smash 5. Like George Lucas and Mike/Bryan before you, you've ran your course.You catered to yourself and love for Awakening/Uprising for Smash 4 and your lies (Bayonetta 2 bombed, where was her silent majority then). May you have good fortunes and your health improve.

Congrats Bayonette fans. Congrats FE fans. They do look really fun to play as. So glad Corrin has a unique twist. If we had to get another FE character, I'm glad he brings more to the fight then a sword.

Though, if I'm going to be honest here, this was a pretty huge disappointment to me. I've personally never played any of the games these characters are from, nor do I want to. The characters also have a trait that I dislike as well.: they're all proportional human characters. One of the big reasons I enjoy smash is because they have extremely unique characters in them. Smash is the only fighter where the majority of the characters have unique shapes, sizes, and abilities. The amount of characters who were proportionally-correct people were very few. For every ordinary guy with powers there was a giant fire breathing turtle, electrical mouse, and living sphere that eats people. In any other crossover fighting game we would have probably gotten just one of these exceptionally unique characters as a joke among a cast of generic humans who throw fireballs and use swords. Smash, meanwhile, was made up of an entire cast of truly unique characters of all shapes and sizes. Brawl started to erode this, with Smash 4 really adding a lot more proportional human characters who, when compared with some of Smashes more unique characters are, for lack of better words, simply boring. All the characters shown today all fit this mold of a typically designed human with the power of *blank*.

Now, I'm not saying these characters ruin the game. I'm just stating that the amount of these types of characters and the fact that they seem to be rapidly increasing each game is disappointing.

Last edited:

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I'll admit I'm a bit salty too, though I'm trying to be optimistic.

I really had my hopes high that the Inkling would make it in. Still I'm cool they didn't. Corrin's a tough pill to swallow though. The character seems real cool and I'm really excited to try him/her out but will the love was need elsewhere I believe. Even If Sakurai wanted to have a recently/promotable character then why not Elma? I'd argue that with the overdrive mechanic that should could be just as unique of an addition

Still he/she looks fun so I'll just try to look at it from that perspective. I wholeheartedly believe Sakurai added him/her has a personal pick though. There's no arguing it at this point, the dude loves Fire Emblem.

As for Bayonetta....well at the very least she's unique. She the kind of character I think the smash community will learn to love. Still I am worried about her viability. I'm sure its just misplaced concern.

I think the real kicker is that its all over. I can 100% say Squirtle is R.I.P. (though I had little faith to begin with). I guess at this point its time to stop looking at the future and look at the roster as is.

PrinceGal3n

Smash Journeyman
Ok. So needless to say...I am quite disappointed. Cloud I was already excited for and Bayonetta I expected even before Smash 4 was out, she made sense to me. Now for my full thoughts:

1. Corrin has me fuming angry. Another FE character? Another avatar character? He may have interesting aspects about him/her but his/her presence alone is annoying and merely a marketing ploy.

2. Cloud is awesome. No problems.

3. The Mii costumes. What can I say? As soon as I saw that the Mii fighters could have other characters as costumes, that was a cheap and poor way to incorporate other characters that people actually wanted. Geno, Llyod, Black Knight, K. Rool, Chrom, Toad, Viridi, Inklings, Takamaru, Tails, Knuckles, and even Skull Kid to an extent were mere scape goats. I have never been a fan of the Mii Fighters and what they stand for (a stand in more a wealth of more unique characters instead of them).

4. Bayonetta was completely logical and she makes sense.

What I would really like to know is what Sakurai means by *Realizable Characters. Because it seems to me that any character for future smash games HAVE to be in a new/re-release game, otherwise they will be disgraced to the level of a freaking costume for the Miis.

So for the other characters who have been benched until the next Smash.

RIP Ridley
RIP Isaac
RIP K. Rool
RIP Snake
RIP Wolf
RIP Ice Climbers
RIP to so many others who have been left in the dust. You will have your chance someday.

KaizorOne

Smash Rookie
The Drilling Juggernaut The Drilling Juggernaut
As for the part with the unique characters, i really recommend you DreamMix TV World Fighters for the Gamecube (Japanese only).
It is way more unique in the Characters as Smash i would say, with Characters like Optimus Prime, Simon Belmont, Snake, Bomberman, Tyson from Beyblade, Yugo from Bloody Roar, Twinbee, and the freakin moai Statue from Gradius and Arcanoid.

If you want a really freaked out game in the Characters but still a good and fun brawler, you definetly should try it out! :)

Last edited:

The Novice Sword

Smash Apprentice
I am skimming this thread and cannot believe my eyes.

DISAPPOINTMENT?

Well, haters gonna hate. As for me, Bayonetta is the first DLC character I am truly excited for. I love her games and it looks like they really incorporated the spirit of them into Bayonetta as a smash character. She's so awesome and unique and badass and I am just so happy about this.

Corrin seems cool too and my hype for them is tied to my hype for Fates' international release.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Been awhile but I felt like throwing my two cent into the fray.

I have a feeling the Realizable Characters statement may have more with the way that the ballot was conducted more then anything.

According to what Sakurai said, Bayonetta rank relatively high in both NA and EU. Likely had support in Japan as well. The question is how these ranking occurred and how they were influenced, it could be very real possibility that the sheer number of likely impossible characters or joke characters could have been submitted to such a degree that only a few very serious legitimate fan bases for certain character even could grab any amount of attention, when your talking about something with literally 100s of different characters being submitted it's very possible each character only had a few percentage points if we have that.

You have to consider that here on Smashboards we do live in a bubble of hardcore fans and even here there is an enormous split on character views so who knows how the general public would vote in comparison to the hardcore base.

Honestly I don't really have a issue with Bayonetta or even Corrin. Honestly I'm not sure what to feel about it other then simply it being what it is.

Last edited:

KaizorOne

Smash Rookie
I am skimming this thread and cannot believe my eyes.

DISAPPOINTMENT?

Well, haters gonna hate. As for me, Bayonetta is the first DLC character I am truly excited for. I love her games and it looks like they really incorporated the spirit of them into Bayonetta as a smash character. She's so awesome and unique and badass and I am just so happy about this.

Corrin seems cool too and my hype for them is tied to my hype for Fates' international release.
Tbh, the only persons i see here being salty over Bayonetta, are probably persons, that never played the game or don't like her, because she is actually not that representable as a Nintendo Character, or for a big Franchise overall. I love the Games alot and also guess she kinda fits nice into Smash, but i can also understand heavily why people are hardcore mad at this. I mean, a K.Rool, Banjo or Rayman just would be more Iconic.

As for me as said, i'm mad because they didn't brought more retro Stages and trolled us with Mario RPG. They didn't even included the Mario RPG Theme as little Candy for the fans..

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I am beyond hyped to see Bayonetta make it in. I didn't think it would happen, but I'm goddamn happy. I screamed when I saw her reveal.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
It feels like I made the roster for this game. Shulk and Lucina were my top 2 picks, and Bayonetta was my top choice for the ballot.

Thanks for reading my thoughts, Sakurai!

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Based on what I'm reading here, it sounds like I made the right decision to watch the "kiddie table" Presidential debates tonight instead, where the expectations aren't as high. Either way, I'll likely purchase the final DLC characters and stages for completion purposes when I have the funds, but I'll be much more cautious about future DLC purchases in other games, if any. At least Christmas is around the corner.

D

Deleted member

It's been a fun road speculating on who still may join the fray.

In all honesty I'm waaay more excited for Corrin and Bayonetta than Cloud, even though I've never played any of the games any of them are from. I really just wanted Mewtwo back (can you tell), so after he was revealed nothing was as important.

It's a shame we've lost Wolf, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Ice Climbers, etc. to the chopping block, but 58 characters is huge, including 3 cuts from Melee! This game has introduced so many more 'non-Nintendo' characters, truly making it one of the greatest video game character games of all time.

Corrin was, obviously, completely unexpected. But after seeing how s/he plays I'm extremely excited to try it out.
Bayonetta was popular, and I think she deserves her place in Smash. She's iconic, had both her games on the Wii U, and the games were critically acclaimed. Maybe now that she's in Smash more people will buy her games, and maybe they'll be more in the future as well.
Also I'm sure the Geno costume has made many people happy, along with Knuckles, Ashley, Takamaru, and all the other Mii fighter costumes of characters that wouldn't have otherwise made it into the game.

Finally, I knew there would be limitations on the ballot. In this case, Sakurai worded it as "realizable characters", which is up in the air for interpretation. Sakurai could have chopped off characters that either wouldn't promote anything recent, or which he simply didn't care to realize personally, and of course we'll never know who they were. Oh well. I figured it wouldn't be completely transparent. But like I said I think we've gotten some great additions, and this version of Smash is by far the best!

Redbane

Smash Cadet
I'm Very excited for Corrin and Bayonetta Corrin doesn't look like he/she will be top tier but he still looks good, but for sure bayonetta will be top tier and I think as good as ZSS or sonic

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
Like a lot of you, I too doubt that Bayonetta won the ballot. Plus I'm kind of annoyed that none of the new characters were whimsical. Kids aren't going to know who Corrin is. And we really didn't need another Fire Emblem character. I have the feeling Sakurai hasn't played any Zelda game since Wind Waker, since we don't have any newcomers from the series.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Like a lot of you, I too doubt that Bayonetta won the ballot. Plus I'm kind of annoyed that none of the new characters were whimsical. Kids aren't going to know who Corrin is. And we really didn't need another Fire Emblem character. I have the feeling Sakurai hasn't played any Zelda game since Wind Waker, since we don't have any newcomers from the series.
The thing is, pretty much all of the major Zelda characters are already in the game. I will say though, that having as many as 6 Fire Emblem reps sure is a lot, especially since it now rivals the amount of Pokemon reps that are in Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U.

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
The thing is, pretty much all of the major Zelda characters are already in the game. I will say though, that having as many as 6 Fire Emblem reps sure is a lot, especially since it now rivals the amount of Pokemon reps that are in Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U.
Yeah totally. Don't get me wrong because I don't want to sound ungrateful. It bugs me when people just complain about what Sakurai does without realizing the stuff he goes through just to get this to us, but I'm just puzzled by some of his decisions.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yeah totally. Don't get me wrong because I don't want to sound ungrateful. It bugs me when people just complain about what Sakurai does without realizing the stuff he goes through just to get this to us, but I'm just puzzled by some of his decisions.
To be fair, I too have questioned some of Sakurai's decisions, especially with Bayonetta's inclusion. I was hoping for at least one more veteran, but I guess Wolf just wasn't up for it.

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
To be fair, I too have questioned some of Sakurai's decisions, especially with Bayonetta's inclusion. I was hoping for at least one more veteran, but I guess Wolf just wasn't up for it.
Yeah and I was really wanting more returning stages. If anything has gone downhill since Melee it's the stages.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
If I were to take a guess on why they are stopping here I'd say it's likely to do with how Sakurai mentioned about how most DLC is created during development and released close to the original release of the game, basically how Sakurai and his team did it in the opposite manner and didn't consider it till the end of the original project. The Smash Bros team has been hanging around for quite a bit of time now and eventually the plug has to be pulled either due to exhaustion by the development team or because the company decides there is more benefit to having people moved to other projects.

Even a recycle veteran would probably stench things longer then it was planned to be funded at this point.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Kill me if you guys want to, but I actually kind of like Corrin and Bayonetta. I've been warming up to them quickly over time.
As soon as I first saw Corrin, I went like "...Who?", but now that I've taken to time to properly look at him, he seems to bring a lot to the table, and he looks like an interesting character. As for Fire Emblem being overrepresented, well... I made this little thing here on Notepad, showing how many series this game has and how many reps are in each series. The end result was this: (Please correct me if I'm wrong, I actually did this all by head)

1. Mario: 10 (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, Rosalina, Baby Bowser, Wario, Donkey Kong, Doctor Mario)
2. Pokemon: 6 (Pikachu, Charizard, Jigglypuff, Greninja, Lucario, Mewtwo)
3. Fire Emblem: 6 (Marth, Roy, Lucina, Ike, Robin, Corrin)
4. Zelda: 5 (Link, Toon Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf)
5. Kirby: 3 (Kirby, Dedede, Meta Knight)
6. Wii: 3 (Mii Gunner, Swordfighter, Brawler) (Counting them just because they might be relevant)
7. Kid Icarus: 3 (Pit, Palutena, Dark Pit)
8. Donkey Kong: 2 (DK, Diddy Kong) (Maybe you can count Mario?)
9. Metroid: 2 (Samus, ZSS)
10. Pikmin: 2 (Olimar, Alph)
11. Star Fox: 2 (Fox, Falco)

The rest only have one rep per series (Captain Falcon is the only one representing F-Zero, Little Mac is the only one representing Punch-Out, Mr. Game and Watch is the only one representing the Game & Watch, you get it)

However, if you count absolutely everyone that has ever been in this series...
Pokemon lost 3 representants, Pichu, Ivysaur and Squirtle, which would leave them with 9.
Zelda lost 1 representant, Young Link, which would leave them with 6.
Star Fox lost 1 representant, Wolf, which would leave them with 3.

So, in conclusion, if you look at the whole picture, then Fire Emblem is tied in 3rd place for representation with Zelda, with Pokemon far ahead with 9 and Mario just winning with 10. So, is Fire Emblem overrepresented? ...Maybe just a bit, I don't know, but I will say this: If you see someone happy that we got another Fire Emblem character... don't rain on their parade. It'll do nothing but make you look like a salty arsehole. You can express your disappointment, sure, of course, but don't try to demonize the people that actually liked Corrin's inclusion.

Okay, enough about Fire Emblem. Bayonetta!
She's cool she looks pretty she looks interesting I kinda like her the end. That's all I have to say about her, really.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
If the game is updated and if DLC is out when I fire up my console later tonight, I'll certainly be doing what I did last time: Bet against all the newcomers in Spectator Mode! I easily earned over a million gold in doing just that when Roy, Ryu, and Lucas came out last time. It's the easiest in-game gold you'll ever earn....

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
I don't believe Bayonetta won the ballot, and there is no way the character could be this finished since the end of the ballot. I believe she was in development before the ballot even started and like that new FE character she is probably just an advertisement for an upcoming game. Watch Bayonetta 3 get announced soon. Very disappointing...

Well back to project M, see you all when the next Smash is announced.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
^

Agreed on the stuffed ballots. I am curious what "jumped the shark" sounds like in Japanese though. Maybe we will find out in an Easter egg as part of Bayonetta's extended taunt. Oh well, at least I am making insane gold betting against all the new Cloud players online, so I can't complain. :-)

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
This is probably the skeptic in me but...

... What exactly was the point of the Ballot? Because I can guarantee that those three characters were not the top of the poll, by any means of the imagination. Hell, Corrin was revealed POST ballot, so there's no chance!

Second of all, I'm probably going to be shot for saying this, but I'm real disappointed in the DLC characters, the Smash Ballot seemed to promise that there would be more than one character or that there will be at least some acknowledgement towards players choices. What we do have, is boring. We have three veterans (Two of them semi-clones), Three anime swordsmen (Two of them FE characters) and Ryu and Beyonetta, which are the only two characters that actually feel like they've tried something unique with.

So many iconic Nintendo characters, so much potential, and they went with the easy way. Heh...

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
I don't know what's so wrong with "anime sworsdmen". They're still Nintendo characters, and Link has been with us since 64. If you want to call FE characters "anime sworsdmen" just because of their artstyle, then Link kind of is one, too...

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
This is probably the skeptic in me but...

... What exactly was the point of the Ballot? Because I can guarantee that those three characters were not the top of the poll, by any means of the imagination. Hell, Corrin was revealed POST ballot, so there's no chance!

Second of all, I'm probably going to be shot for saying this, but I'm real disappointed in the DLC characters, the Smash Ballot seemed to promise that there would be more than one character or that there will be at least some acknowledgement towards players choices. What we do have, is boring. We have three veterans (Two of them semi-clones), Three anime swordsmen (Two of them FE characters) and Ryu and Beyonetta, which are the only two characters that actually feel like they've tried something unique with.

So many iconic Nintendo characters, so much potential, and they went with the easy way. Heh...
Lma0 you sound like you actually believed Salurai cared about his fans and tell the truth or that he can even make 1 good decision.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
The stupid thing is that I would have been 100% on board if Wolf were revealed too. His moveset would have been amazing in these physics.... (+ that star fox advertising would make sense). I'm sad for that.. That said, there was nothing in the direct to exactly say that another veteran couldn't come back (phrasing like "the last newcomer!", etc), but the end of this direct seemed very final, so I don't expect it.

I'm not that salty about the characters that WERE revealed, although I'm not particularly hyped for either of them. I'm not really one to be upset about "X number of chars from _____!" or "sword users!" or "humans!" so it's whatever to me.

One thing... I really don't think Bayonetta is appropriate for a kiddie game. I'm even cringing at her stage because some of those angels are really messed-up looking. Think parents would go wtf. This doesn't really bother me, but let's just say I'm surprised.

the three main points I want to make...
- I don't like feeling lied to, and I think we were with the stats on Bayonetta.. "Realizable characters" is a massive disclaimer, but there's absolutely no chance that she got more votes than characters like Inklings / Isaac / K-Rool / Toad / Tingle / etc etc etc. I understand they're not getting rights to like Goku or something, but I would virtually guarantee that Nintendo-owned characters that could have interesting movesets beat her out. The only explanation for this is that "Realizable characters" means "chars we've already started on" or "possible 3rd parties"

- I am absolutely SHOCKED that Splatoon got nothing but a costume. that crossover was way too obvious and it's boggling my mind that they didn't at least do some sort of interesting stage a la Mario Maker. I really, really expected Inklings as playable chars from this. My only explanation is that Nintendo didn't expect it to be a hit, so the devs never worked on the char, and by the time they realized, it was too late.

- I guess RIP Golden Sun...?

At least Cloud is really fun. and I'm sure the other new characters will be fun... these decisions were just very surprising, and not exactly in a good way for me.

Last edited:

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
1999: "Duke it out as your favorite Nintendo characters!"
2015: Duke it out as characters from a handheld strategy RPG.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
I assume flinging **** at Fire Emblem is gonna be a popular fad for a while?

One thing... I really don't think Bayonetta is appropriate for a kiddie game. I'm even cringing at her stage because some of those angels are really messed-up looking. Think parents would go wtf. This doesn't really bother me, but let's just say I'm surprised.
Actually, I think people forget that, up until Smash 4, Smash games were always rated T for Teens. Even Smash 4 is rated E+10. If little 5 years-old Billy's parents get offended by something in the game... it's not like they haven't been warned.
It's not like anyone even cares about what the ESRB has to say, but hey, it's still there.

Last edited:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
It's not like anyone even cares about what the ESRB has to say, but hey, it's still there.
Yeah ^This.

Regardless of the rating, parents are going to see Smash as "Mario and PIkachu having fun!". To that point, Nintendo does have a "family friendly" label, and Smash has not really been different, T label and all. Bayonetta is so strikingly NOT family-friendly that it really surprises me to see her here.

I understand we live in a world where Snake has been in Smash, but he and Bayo are notably different... Snake is typically associated with violence, while Bayo is associated with...other things. : )

idk just seems like a really stark contrast from what we've typically seen, that it was worth talking about

Last edited:

ccthirteen

Smash Apprentice
I have to say that personally, I'm disappointed with the two announced because they were announced to be the very last DLC characters that will be released. It's disappointing for me because they're from two games I have never played. I've played FE games before and loved them, but have never touched Bayonetta at all

As soon as I saw it, I thought 'umm... You spelled Banjo & Kazooie wrong... And the character model and moveset are way off...' Because I just can't believe that Bayonetta got more votes than the bear and bird and was a more likely choice of "realizable" characters since the head of Xbox said he would be happy to let them feature BK in smash.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Fenrir VII
Well, regardless of the rating, if parents feel like complaining, they probably won't have the right to.
And we all know people have dirty thoughts with all the characters, not just Bayonetta... ;)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Banjo and Kazooie are Rare's property, and Rare is owned by Microsoft. Bayonetta is Nintendo's property, which easily explains how she made the cut.

ccthirteen

Smash Apprentice
I will say that the range of Corrin's fsmash looks insanely long and I'll get both characters because I still like the game and want to learn how to play against both of them with Cloud in a competitive setting. But damn... Isaac and BK... I was really hopeful.

As a side note, can you turn off materia spawning in the midgar stage non-omega version?

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
Wait a second guys.

What if the ballot was only meant to measure for Mii-Costumes? Especially considering K.Rool, it would fit so much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom