• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

1.0.4 Opens the Floodgates, What Changes Would You Like to See in Palutena

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
I really don't mind if we get buffs for her. She's fine as she is since she's probably one of the most, if not, the most balanced of all characters, imo. Her main problems should be apparent, them being the cool-down of her tilts/smash attacks. Not much else is worth fixing. <.< I like the way she currently plays, but if they do buff her in any way within the next patch, then so be it. xD I haven't seen anything different in terms of how she functions... Not sure why Sakurai and his team didn't fix the Light-weight reset glitch/Super-Speed Momentum glitch. I assume they do watch a lot of player-made Smash videos to see those..

Anyways...! New to this community. Any tips on getting started? :p

Rran

Smash Apprentice
A little upset that her tilts weren't buffed, but ehh... Honestly, I still just enjoy playing her as is, so no biggie. The biggest problem I have is that I can't take her customs online!

thatoneguyintheback

Smash Apprentice
You could actually try it for yourself using default controls then. Also if that's the case, how are people just now noticing greninja and ikes drastic changes? See for yourself. Big difference

Edit: tried with different controls, still doesn't work nearly as well. You have to wait a decent amount longer after jab 1 to jab 1 again or grab.

Last edited:

thatoneguyintheback

Smash Apprentice
I'm positive you could grab or jab again much earlier. Like almost instantly. Oh well, if nobody else notices, then must not matter

Meian

Smash Cadet
Surprised no changes to Palutena? They really better not do the jab grab change without substantial buffs considering that is a bread and butter right there.

Did they get rid of the Lightweight glitch?

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Dash attack might be buffed. Idk if there's really anything that changed.

Other than sliding counter.

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
I've also been able to follow up on jab1 just fine post patch but whatever I didn't catch the tilt IASA buff WOOP WOOP

ftilt still sucks though lol

Last edited:

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
So... can someone who can test frame by frame look at something for me?

We're testing Rolls and Spot dodges (Lavani's gif with the Rosalina roll on it reminded me I never tried).... her spot dodge seems A LOT faster.

Also I can't confirm hitbox but Up Smash definitely has a bigger graphic.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
They all still suck.
Uair still kinda sucks, but dtilt is a passable spacing tool.

So... can someone who can test frame by frame look at something for me?

We're testing Rolls and Spot dodges (Lavani's gif with the Rosalina roll on it reminded me I never tried).... her spot dodge seems A LOT faster.

Also I can't confirm hitbox but Up Smash definitely has a bigger graphic.
I'm doing this really ghetto for the time being, but spotdodge looks to be 26 frames? Rolls clock in at 30 frames. Give me a sec and I'll check the old ones.

EDIT: Spotdodge and roll IASA frames appear to be unchanged.

Last edited:

Greda

Smash Journeyman
I feel like up smash got buffed and racks in KOs way easier and Dthrow is harder to follow up into anything now.

IzunaDroppuh

Smash Rookie
NNID
InfamouzShadow
3DS FC
2852-8054-4919
I never noticed her dash eats wins trades. My Donkey Kong bair lost the trade and she still connects

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Has anyone else already mentioned all the visual changes? I'm pretty sure some of her animations, her two wing smashes in particular, didn't have such nice special effects.

Also, I swear her FAir looks different, almost more... Sexy?

WiiDude83

Smash Cadet
NNID
WiiDude83
I'd say buff auto reticule, reflect, and counter. auto reticule almost does nothing it terms of zoning or applying damage as they don't do much, don't send them back far or don't hit all together. Counter for palutena i believe to be the worst counter in the game as the actual counter time is small and there is a lot of lag after the move whether the counter hits or not. bring it on par to marth and lucina. reflect...I honestly believe to be the worst move in the game. yeah it can stop people like megaman well, but if anyone uses a projectile not at horizontal height...it doesn't reflect right at all. so maybe change the angles and maybe have it where it stays out longer but has a charge time...

and seriously...make super speed her default side b....would make her 250 times better

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
I see everyone took their placebos in here! The only real changes so far are to Utilt and Dtilt IASA frames. Utilt was decent before and is now safer to land. D-throw follow ups (Nair, Uair, Fair, UpSmash) are virtually unchanged and still fun as hell. JabGrab is still fully intact. Uair was never bad and is still one of her best moves as well as one of the best juggling moves in the game.

Last edited:

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
Up Smash has a bigger graphic as well I believe. While testing on Ninjalink's stream, Rockin said that the graphic for the Up Smash was different on his game.

This is consistent with the Palutena graphic files being changed with 1.03. I guess they just waited a patch to change it? It's pretty much a small change that isn't really worth mentioning cause the actual move hasn't changed.

Rran

Smash Apprentice
A little upset that her tilts weren't buffed, but ehh... Honestly, I still just enjoy playing her as is, so no biggie. The biggest problem I have is that I can't take her customs online!
I'd say buff auto reticule, reflect, and counter. auto reticule almost does nothing it terms of zoning or applying damage as they don't do much, don't send them back far or don't hit all together. Counter for palutena i believe to be the worst counter in the game as the actual counter time is small and there is a lot of lag after the move whether the counter hits or not. bring it on par to marth and lucina. reflect...I honestly believe to be the worst move in the game. yeah it can stop people like megaman well, but if anyone uses a projectile not at horizontal height...it doesn't reflect right at all. so maybe change the angles and maybe have it where it stays out longer but has a charge time...

and seriously...make super speed her default side b....would make her 250 times better
I agree w/ your statements regarding counter and auto-reticule, but Reflector is, IMO, the best reflect maneuver in the game--lasts a decent while AND it's much easier to input while dashing (thus, in effect, potentially egging on your opponent to use said projectile).

Counter is pretty meh, though. Would MUCH prefer Lightweight. And as for Auto Reticule... it'd be great if, not being able to lock-on to an opponent, it just fires straight ahead. Since it does not, however, I definitely prefer that crazy firey explosion thingy lol

Last edited:

kamus_aran

Smash Apprentice
Up Smash has a bigger graphic as well I believe. While testing on Ninjalink's stream, Rockin said that the graphic for the Up Smash was different on his game.

This is consistent with the Palutena graphic files being changed with 1.03. I guess they just waited a patch to change it? It's pretty much a small change that isn't really worth mentioning cause the actual move hasn't changed.
Does having bigger graphic mean the move has larger hitbox?

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
Does having bigger graphic mean the move has larger hitbox?
It was probably changed to be a more accurate visual representation of the existing hitbox. It doesnt seem to reach any higher, but those times when you hit with the very tip top of it look more reasonable now.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Dug this out of the community patch notes thread for everyones reference:
Side by Side tilt comparisons showing the new IASA frames
You also could've pulled it from 15 posts up.

But I guess it's my fault for being ambiguous in the post.

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
You also could've pulled it from 15 posts up.

But I guess it's my fault for being ambiguous in the post.
Ahh sorry I saw that on my mobile and wasnt able to click the link but I see it now. Whoops!

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
So I was messing around and noticed that the Wind Box on FSmash connects when you're like... 1/3rd or more the distance of FD away from the enemy. Is this new?

Also... it knocks people off platforms/stages. I don't remember that being a thing.

Pirunner

Smash Rookie
So I was messing around and noticed that the Wind Box on FSmash connects when you're like... 1/3rd or more the distance of FD away from the enemy. Is this new?

Also... it knocks people off platforms/stages. I don't remember that being a thing.
I always remember it knocked people off. As for the distance of the windbox, I think its the same. Confirmation would be nice though.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny

I can confirm that it could shove people off ledges, but I never bothered measuring out the full windbox length before. In 1.0.4 it reaches exactly 1/4 the length of FD, I don't recall having noticed it beyond her wingtips (3/5 that distance) prior.

But take that with a grain of salt because I don't actually play this character lol

EDIT: Doublechecked in 1.0.1, I guess the windbox was always that big.

Last edited:

kunimitsu877

Smash Apprentice

not that bad her fireworks however i would say need a huge improvement to predictable and easy to dodge but again palutena with her regular moves are just fine

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
In my opinion Heavenly Light should be buffed for competetive game. I tested it very long and I think its usefull if you use items. Why? Here are some examples.

Starman from Super Mario series: It makes you invulnerable. In that case you can damage your opponents very good. And you haven't to be worried because you could be hit.

Smashball: Its easy to get the smashball with it. But its also usefull to steal points. For example: If Link / Toon-Link use the Triforce against an opponent, you should stay in front of them. After that you use heavenly light. But be carefully if you are to close you could be hit. But its very easy. Next example: You can also steal the points from Daraen / Robin and Quajutsu. Use heavenly light before the final smash ends. Oh and you have to be under Daraen / Robin or Quajutsu to get the points. You can't be hit of them. ^^

Pokemons:

Zoroark: The same like Daraen / Robin and Quajutsus final smash. But you need a plattform above you ( I think... )
Entei: I think it explains itself.

Heavenly Light is her worst move ever in a competetive game. Its usefull for casuals and gamers with Items. So I think this move should be defenetily buffed.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
She has a cool momentum thing with Heavenly light....

If you do it while running off a platform she maintains air momentum while falling to the ground... So she can like... go further than she would if she didn't use heavenly light.

Pretty game breaking if you ask me... Definitely an instant win.

Top Bottom