• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's First Samurai: Takamaru for SSB4 (Final Request: Ask the US HW devs to add Takamaru)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
NoA tends to really drop the ball with localising things lately. Especially with their smaller titles.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Well that's surprisingly fitting for Takamaru's trailer actually. O.O
Too bad that it's a pipe dream of a chance happening. :cry:
It's ok, Sakurai-san will be paying dearly for all the dreams he had crushed. Good thing we have just the guy to deal with him personally.

:troll:

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
With Xenoblaze gone, who will take over the thread?
@ Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan should definitely IMO.

I personally don't know how to feel about Takamaru right now. A retro character is a bit of a tradition, and Sakurai loves adding them. But for the record I'm just not sure if it was prioritized this time around. Little Mac has sorta been treated as such, and Pac-Man's a bit of a loophole even though he's full on retro. Same with Mega Man.

But I would love Takamaru's addition. A quick swordsman that can use projectiles to space himself from his opponents would be awesome (even though that's kinda Robin) and Murasame Castle should totally be revamped.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

I personally don't know how to feel about Takamaru right now. A retro character is a bit of a tradition, and Sakurai loves adding them. But for the record I'm just not sure if it was prioritized this time around. Little Mac has sorta been treated as such, and Pac-Man's a bit of a loophole even though he's full on retro. Same with Mega Man.

But I would love Takamaru's addition. A quick swordsman that can use projectiles to space himself from his opponents would be awesome (even though that's kinda Robin) and Murasame Castle should totally be revamped.
Myself, NonSpecificGuy, and R.O.B. definitely seem to be the most qualified for this. Pacack as well.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Habanero's gone, well that explains alot. I wouldn't mind taing over this thread since I was planning on making a Takamaru moveset of my own after replaying the game this weekend.

Either way, it's good to see that you still have some hope in the old samurai. We all agree that a zoning swordsman would be a great addition and his universe should be revamped by the Big N themselves.

Myself, NonSpecificGuy, and R.O.B. definitely seem to be the most qualified for this. Pacack as well.
I guess there's only one way to settle this, we need a poll or get some some supporters (By @ tagging them) to nominate who gets to rule the thread.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Habanero's gone, well that explains alot. I wouldn't mind taing over this thread since I was planning on making a Takamaru moveset of my own after replaying the game this weekend.

Either way, it's good to see that you still have some hope in the old samurai. We all agree that a zoning swordsman would be a great addition and his universe should be revamped by the Big N themselves.

I guess there's only one way to settle this, we need a poll or get some some supporters (By @ tagging them) to nominate who gets to rule the thread.
We could always have the people who post here, aside from us, vote. Take the last 10 or so pages and have people who posted here vote then.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
R.O.B. mentioned making a Takamaru moveset and I just remembered that I never posted my Project M/general Taka moveset here:

Takamaru

Whereas Lyn's brand of samurai embodies absolute dominance via speed, aggression, and acrobatics, Takamaru's style of samurai is more about evasion, space control, and awareness. In his game, The Mysterious Murasame Castle, players are challenged by hoards of nimble enemies ranging from ninja foot soldiers to possessed lords with large AoE weaponry to various supernatural phenomena darting all about and generating mass pandemonium. The game demanded the absolute best of your ability to navigate its grid based design while making your way from one zone to the next avoiding or engaging the obstacles it would put in your way. You were given a mixed move set consisting of long ranged projectile items, support items and a short range katana drawn from the sheath should you find an opponent stumbling into your strike zone.
The character base for Takamaru would actually be Link. On top of providing the necessary articles to be referenced for his projectiles, the relationship between the two brother series cannot be understated. Whereas Johnny was the biggest influence on my ideas for Lyn, Baiken, another Guilty Gear character, and Kenshin Himura of the Rurouni Kenshin anime series served as the greatest inspirations for my ideas for Takamaru.

Character specifics: Running speed between Marth and PM Pit; fast faller; lightweight; average jump height

Jab: Takamaru swings his sheathed sword once from left to right. Pressing jab again has him do it again from right to left. The third jab has Takamaru draw his sword, thrusting it by the hilt forward at an opponent's midsection before deftly sheathing it again.
F-Tilt: Takamaru turns his back on an opponent before thrusting his sword forward at them. Think of Baiken's S guard cancel attack from Guilty Gear. This attack can also be angled.
D-Tilt: Takamaru sweeps his sheathed blade forward along the ground to hit his opponent's ankle with the lowest part of the scabbard. Can be rapid fired.
U-Tilt: Takamaru flicks/draws his sword hilt out and upward near himself hitting an opponent with the butt of the blade. This launches opponents for juggles. "...I wasn't finished speaking."
F-Smash: Takamaru does a two step Battoujutsu styled draw similar in style to Himura Kenshin's final attack in the Rurouni Kenshin series. The second swing is generated with a second press of the A button.
D-Smash: Takamaru unsheathes his sword and stabs the ground. A geyser of electricity runs through the ground on both sides of himself launching opponents upward.
U-Smash: Takamaru does an acrobatic low height maneuver before drawing his sword upward to the sky with great force. (Alternatively, Takamaru does a short hop and unsheathes his sword in a solid arc two hit attack -- once drawing the sword and once sheathing it -- above himself similar to Meta Knight's Up Smash.)
N-Air: Takamaru performs a single hit spinning draw slash from left to right with great force. (Think of Dante's jumping heavy attack in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 or Roy's N-Air performed by Takamaru unsheathing his sword with the momentum from the draw spinning him around once before he re-sheathes the sword.)
F-Air: Takamaru slashes a straight horizontal arc in front of himself before quickly sheathing his sword. (Note: Moves referenced in links are not an indication of how I perceive their actual distances.) Can be used for carry combos but does not have a lot of active frames.
B-Air: Takamaru performs a somersault in the air slashing from under to behind himself in a manner similar to Baiken's H guard cancel attack from Guilty Gear.
U-Air: Takamaru sweeps his katana above his head after a draw. This is similar in nature to Baiken's Youzansen.
D-Air: (Ryu Tsui Sen) Takamaru draws his sword straight downward in a power streaking movement then re-sheathes it. The attack has a very small range and active time but is a true spike.

Neutral B: Fireballs: Takamaru can launch will-o-wisp style fireballs that travel straight forward with this move. Holding B generates a larger wisp made of multiple fireballs that moves forward in a coil motion before exploding or scattering in different directions.

Forward B: Windmill Shuriken: Throws a shuriken projectile forward that generates a wall of wind before dissipating completely. Holding the B charges this move allowing it to go farther and generate even greater winds. These winds push people out while dealing damage. (Think of Link's vBrawl Gale Boomerang except it does damage as it pushes and doesn't come back to Takamaru)

Down B: Empty Dash: Takamaru turns invisible as sakura petals "poof" about his previous location. He then moves forward a set distance before reappearing with this command dash. Holding the B button allows you to choose where you wish to end up horizontally (think of Zelda's Din's Fire). There is a moderate cool down animation on this maneuver so be careful when using it!

Upward B: Ryu Sho Sen: Takamaru holds his sword blade down hilt up before rising up and angling the sword to hit the opponent with a bladed uppercut.

Final Smash: Inazuma Lightning: Takamaru stabs his katana into the air where it is struck by lightning. After this, he then directs the lightning bolts to strike near him on screen before the storm passes.
Also, all you guys detailing tralier ideas reminded me to post my idea that I put up over on GAF:

Just imagine:

Trailer begins without that slashing intro and we shift to a sumi-e ink scene (think Okami/the Kung Fu game in Game & Wario) of a bamboo field at night and hear nothing but footsteps on the ground as three figures dart in and out of hiding. Camera switches focus and we see Greninja leaping up into the light of the full moon firing a volley of water shuriken and Sheik tossing needles at some figure darting through the area. Finally, Sheik goes all in and deploys a Burst Grenade that is then struck and deflected with a bolt of lightning, detonating off target. The camera refocuses on the newly created wall of flames with Shiek and Greninja in full alert expecting something. Suddenly:

http://zippy.gfycat.com/ScaredHandmadeGlobefish.webm

The flame wall dissipates as someone from behind it cuts in the two directions of the Smash logo. The sword is sheathed as the character gets into stance again and as he lunges forward in full view:

"TAKAMARU soars again!"
"TAKAMARU draws once more!"

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
@ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux @Sailor Waddle Dee @King Orfut @Spazzy_D @Wonks @PSIGuy @8-peacock-8 @Sigran101 @KimmotMan @TORNADO BUS DRIVER @Oracle_Summon @smashkirby @Soupeschleg @True Blue Warrior @ Marakatu Marakatu @Staarih @egaddmario @Sobreviviente @Arcadenik @DustyPumpkin @CrophMaruMariolu2W0vol41PEeeeeek @Lizardon @Dj.D @TeenGirlSquad @Diddy Kong @Speculator @shinhed-echi @ Chauzu Chauzu @Banjodorf @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 @ bksbestbwoy bksbestbwoy @Reila @Fatmanonice @ ThatShadowLink ThatShadowLink @RhymesWithEmpty @ AncientTobacco AncientTobacco @ Louie G. Louie G. @ Bingoshi Bingoshi

We are currently in need of a new topic owner for this thread and you are needed to make that happen. There are 4 likely candidates to choose from: @R.O.B @ Pacack Pacack @ NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy and @ Capybara Gaming Capybara Gaming . Just choose which one of the four to you find the most worthy of owning this thread. Whoever has the most votes by midnight gets to be the new thread owner and we are all counting on you.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
+1 for @ Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan , the guy's very passionate and does his best to educate without butting heads.

Edit: On a bit of a tangent, who's good with image editing in here? I want to ask for an avatar of the new hi-res Takamaru vector against Smash 4 Battlefield's background with a Smash logo in one of the corners.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
+1 for @ Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan , the guy's very passionate and does his best to educate without butting heads.

Edit: On a bit of a tangent, who's good with image editing in here? I want to ask for an avatar of the new hi-res Takamaru vector against Smash 4 Battlefield's background with a Smash logo in one of the corners.
I'm pretty sure that you can ask someone about it the Social 2.0 Topic somewhere since they might help. I think as far as AncientTabacco can go is color editing.

Considering how slow things are going here, I may want to give this about two days (by Friday midnight). This is at times like this where we should've made a poll.

Last edited:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
I'm gonna vote for R.O.B. Dude's just dedicated to Takamaru and the series in general.

I'm moderately decent at it, I can give it a go.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I'm gonna vote for R.O.B. Dude's just dedicated to Takamaru and the series in general.

I'm moderately decent at it, I can give it a go.
It'd be well appreciated. If possible, could you share the psd/make two sizes (a large 250x250 and a smaller 100x120)

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm gonna make a vote for @R.O.B but I would be honored to run the thread.
However I do think R.O.B is more qualified but I'd love to help out with the supporters list.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
That looks great, thanks. If anything, I'll try to play with the PSD some myself.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So I decided to make a new supporter list out of our most recent pages.
Habanero
1. Opossum
2. BluePikmin11
3. 8-peacock-8
4. Banjodorf
5. Falkoopa
6. Swampsaur
7. _R@bid_
8. R.O.B.
9. HylianHeroBigBoss
10. NonSpecificGuy
11. Pacack
12. KeyBladeGuy
13. goldenyuiitusin
14. Frostwraith
15. PSIguy89
16.J amesDNaux
17. Sailor Waddle Dee
18. King Orfut
19. Spazzy_D
20. Wonks
21. Sigran101
22. KimmotMan
23. TORNADO BUS DRIVER
24. Oracle_Summon
25. smashkirby
26. Soupeschleg
27. True Blue Warrior
28. Marakatu
29. Staarih
30. egaddmario
31. Sobreviviente
32. Arcadenik
33. DustyPumpkin
34. CrophMaruMariolu2W0vol41PEeeeeek
35. Lizardon
36. Dj.D
37. TeenGirlSquad
38. Diddy Kong
39. Speculator
40. Chauzu
41. bksbestbwoy
42. Reila
43. Fatmanonice
44. ThatShadowLink
45. RhymesWithEmpty
46. AncientTobacco
47. Louie G.
48. Bingoshi
49. Shinhed-echi
50. Mario_and_Sonic_guy
If I missed you or did something else wrong please just tag me in your post and I will add you.
Edit: 50 supporters!! Whoo!

Last edited:

Chauzu

Smash Ace
I don't know any of you here well enough, I'd vote for a rock-paper-scissor to settle this.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I don't know any of you here well enough, I'd vote for a rock-paper-scissor to settle this.
But how can we see each other's hands and know if someone's cheating or not? :troll:

Either way, it looks like that I'm getting the most support so far. Just about many hours left until we see who's the real winner and when it's my 20th birthday.

I've just realized that being able to run this topic would be a perfect birthday gift despite how busy I'll be tomorrow. :awesome:

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
But how can we see each other's hands and know if someone's cheating or not? :troll:

Either way, it looks like that I'm getting the most support so far. Just about many hours left until we see who's the real winner and when it's my 20th birthday.

I've just realized that being able to run this topic would be a perfect birthday gift despite how busy I'll be tomorrow. :awesome:
Seeing as you're the most qualified out of all of us, there's no wonder you're winning the votes.
I think it's safe to say you'll get the thread, but it would be my pleasure to help out with the support list, if you wouldn't mind.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Seeing as you're the most qualified out of all of us, there's no wonder you're winning the votes.
I think it's safe to say you'll get the thread, but it would be my pleasure to help out with the support list, if you wouldn't mind.
You're right, I've won this thread far and square do to meeting all of the qualifications. All that's left to do is to PM any mod to give me that position and rule this thread with an iron blade.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I have an idea. When R.O.B. gets control of this thread, could we get a mod to give me the post under it to put my Nazo no Murasame jo Archive? I think it would be a nice place to keep it.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Where is the information about Xenoblaze being "gone"?

Has he stated that he's quitting SmashBoards or something?
I was just about to ask the same.
But he has been pretty inactive lately.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Where is the information about Xenoblaze being "gone"?

Has he stated that he's quitting SmashBoards or something?
According to TK, he's been banned for life. So that's why we need a responsible leader like me taking over.

@FalKoopa should have gotten my message by now.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
So I decided to make a new supporter list out of our most recent pages.
Habanero
1. Opossum
2. BluePikmin11
3. 8-peacock-8
4. Banjodorf
5. Falkoopa
6. Swampsaur
7. _R@bid_
8. R.O.B.
9. HylianHeroBigBoss
10. NonSpecificGuy
11. Pacack
12. KeyBladeGuy
13. goldenyuiitusin
14. Frostwraith
15. PSIguy89
16.J amesDNaux
17. Sailor Waddle Dee
18. King Orfut
19. Spazzy_D
20. Wonks
21. Sigran101
22. KimmotMan
23. TORNADO BUS DRIVER
24. Oracle_Summon
25. smashkirby
26. Soupeschleg
27. True Blue Warrior
28. Marakatu
29. Staarih
30. egaddmario
31. Sobreviviente
32. Arcadenik
33. DustyPumpkin
34. CrophMaruMariolu2W0vol41PEeeeeek
35. Lizardon
36. Dj.D
37. TeenGirlSquad
38. Diddy Kong
39. Speculator
40. Chauzu
41. bksbestbwoy
42. Reila
43. Fatmanonice
44. ThatShadowLink
45. RhymesWithEmpty
46. AncientTobacco
47. Louie G.
48. Bingoshi
49. Shinhed-echi
50. Mario_and_Sonic_guy
If I missed you or did something else wrong please just tag me in your post and I will add you.
Edit: 50 supporters!! Whoo!
I'm curious, where does this put us in terms of supporters versus other character threads? :p

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm curious, where does this put us in terms of supporters versus other character threads? :p
That's not all of them I'm just to lazy to go back and check all 59 pages right now.:p
But we're doing better than most, but not near as good as the obvious ones like K. Rool and Ridley.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The bad news: Habanero will be back tomorrow and I'd doubt he'll hand over this thread that easily. Me and FalKoopa are talking about whether it's safe for me to get the position before or after he gets back.

Edit: Looks like I'm still the thread owner now and @ NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy I've updated the support list with your update. ;)

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think @ Marakatu Marakatu deserves to be the thread owner, I'm not a big fan of Muramase Castle (at least not yet since I have yet to play it), He knows alot more about retro games (than me) would probably get this thread.
Oh wait am I too late for voting?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom