• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data “The Medical Files”- Dr. Mario Moveset & AT Thread [Updated 12.23.14: Grammar!]

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
:4drmario:
Welcome to The Medical Files!
This thread is a general reference to Dr. Mario’s moveset and a list of notable ATs (as well as sources when applicable).

All moves are tested against Bowser on [3DS] Battlefield Final Destination.
Feel free to discuss Doc's Moveset and potential ATs to include in the OP!
Alternate Colors:

White- Dr. Mario's appearance post Dr. Mario 64, with black jeans like his Melee incarnation.
Red- Resembles scrubs that nurses wear.
Blue- Resembles scrubs that doctors wear.
Green- Resembles scrubs that surgeons wear.
Black- Melee's "Unlicensed Doctor" outfit.
Yellow- Yellow suit.
Purple- Purple suit.
Pink- Resembles Nurse Toadstool's color scheme.

Dr. Mario's 1.0.4 Patch Changes

Taunts:

Up Taunt: Dr. Mario grinds his shoe into the ground, adjusting to make sure it is secure.

Side Taunt: Dr. Mario throws a Megavitamin into the air and catches it, identical to Melee.

Down Taunt: Doc pats his shoulder with his hand.
General Statistics & Information:
Weight: 98
# of Jumps: 2
Ability to Crawl: No
Wall (Cling/Wall Jump/None): Dr. Mario can wall jump.
How To Unlock: 3DS- Play 60 Matches in Smash, or clear Classic as Mario on 4.0 Intensity or Higher. (Fought in Mushroomy Kingdom)
How To Unlock: Wii U- Play 50 Matches in Smash, or clear Master Orders on Hard. (Fought in Delfino Plaza)

Neutral Attack, Dash Attack, Ground Tilts, Getup & Edge Attack:

1st jab, followed by finisher.
Neutral Attack: Jab Combo
Damage: 2.75 (1st), 1.5 (2nd), 4.25 (finisher), 8% total.
A basic 3 hit jab combo shared with Mario.

Dash Attack: Slide
Damage: 8.75% (sweetspot), 6.66% (sourspot)
A long slide kick with a sweetspot at the startup.

Forward Tilt: Kick
Damage: 7.75%
A basic forwards kick.

Up Tilt: Uppercut
Damage: 7%
A basic uppercut that can be repeated at early %s.

Down Tilt: Low kick
Damage: 5.5%
A low kick with vertical launch.

Getup Attack
Damage: 6%
A fast roundabout kick returns Doc to neutral.

Edge Attack
A basic kick from the edge.
Smash Attacks:

Forward Smash: Electrical Hand
Damage: Upper (17.85% Sweetspot, 14.7% Sourspot- 27% Sweetspot, 23% Sourspot)
Middle (17% Sweetspot, 14% Sourspot- 26% Sweetspot, 21% Sourspot)
Lower (17.5% Sweetspot, 14.5% Sourspot- 27% Sweetspot, 22% Sourspot)
Dr. Mario's side Smash has a huge amount of variance on how it will end up! It's a strong attack that can be aimed. Sweetspot is next to his arm, the sourspot is the electric blast itself.

Up Smash: Head Smash
Damage: 16%- 21.75%
A powerful head smash. It can KO rather early.

Down Smash: Roundhouse
Damage: 11.5%- 15.5%
A roundhouse that hits on both sides. It's a lingering move.
Aerial Tilts:

Neutral Aerial: Air Kick
Damage: 5.5%-8.75%
A kick that get stronger the later the attack connects.

Forward Aerial: Super Punch
Damage: 11% (Sourspot 1), 15.5 (Clean hit), 9% (Sourspot 2)
A heavy sweep attack that sends the opponent at an upwards angle, whereas Mario's has a meteor effect.

Back Aerial: Back Kick
Damage: 13.33%
A backwards kick that is generally very good at offstage KOs.

Up Aerial: Somersault
A somersault that launches opponents forwards. If the opponent is behind you when they are hit, they'll be launched backwards.

Down Aerial: Spinning Kick
Damage: 1.7% per loop hit, 3% for the final hit, 2% if Doc lands while using the move.
A multi-hit aerial attack that can end on the ground.
Pummel & Throws:

Pummel: Headbutt
Damage: 3.5%
Doc headbutts the opponent.

Forward Throw: Single Swing
Damage: 8.75%
Doc swings the opponent once and launches them forwards.

Back Throw: Multi-Swing
Damage: 12%
A multi-swinging reverse version of the Forward Throw.

Up Throw: Hand Launch
Doc uses both hands to lift the opponent.

Down Throw: Slam
Damage: 5.5%
Doc slams the opponent onto the ground, bouncing them.

Special Moves & Final Smash
Custom Specials: Set 1/Default

Neutral Special: Megavitamins
Damage: 5.5%- 4.5%
Doc fires off a megavitamin, and it gets weaker the longer it travels.

Side Special: Super Sheet
Properties: No Flinch, Reflects Characters and Projectiles.

Up Special: Super Jump Punch
Damage: 13.33% (Sweetspot), 6.5% (Sourspot)
A powerful punch that is stronger at the beginning.

Down Special: Dr. Tornado
Damage: 1.25 for the first 4 hits, 3% (finisher)
Doc uses his classic Tornado, unlike Mario. This move has a lot of priority, but a good amount of end lag. In addition, tapping Special will result in your ascending, and Doc can move on the ground and air in the middle of the move.
NOTE: At this update, I was unable to find images for Doc's custom specials. However, I have this video as a placeholder to see his moves. (1.03)
Custom Specials: Set 2
Neutral 2: Fast Capsule
Damage: 3%-2.5%
Quick capsules that cause flinching and decrease in damage the longer they linger.
Side 2: Shocking Sheet
Damage: 11%
Electrifies the opponent and knocks them away. It does not reflect.
Up 2: Super Jump
Damage: 0%
A recovery version of the Super Jump Punch that does no damage.
Down 2: Soaring Tornado
Damage: 6% (End)
A unique tornado that does no damage until the end and pushes him into the air. The gust of wind pushes opponents.
Custom Specials: Set 3
Neutral 3: Mega Capsule
Damage: 1.5% per hit
A gigantic pill is summoned. It damages opponents on repeat until it vanishes in it's slow path.
Side 3: Breezy Sheet
Damage: 5%
Damages the opponent, and pushes them back in addition to turning them.
Up 3: Ol' One-Two
Damage: 8% (startup), 13% (Finisher)
A two hit punch that explodes! Unfortunately, it is terrible at recovery.
Down 3: Clothesline Tornado
Damage: 8% per hit (first and ender)
A slower and much stronger Tornado.
Final Smash: Doctor Finale

Footage of the Doctor Finale, 3DS Version.
Damage: 3% for large pills, 2% for a smaller pill.
Doc's Final Smash is a medical version of Mario's, traveling far and being able to KO opponents by pushback.
Advanced Techniques
Reverse Ledge Cape- Using a cape off the ledge allows you to reverse it to grab the ledge. This can be used to stop recovering opponents. Click here for a gif demonstrating the move.
SHFF Bair- Bair can go into Bair at mid-range %s on some characters; however, it should be noted that this is a risky move if unspaced.
Double Uppercut- Mario, Doc, and Little Mac can turn their uppercut in the ground or air once started up. This turning can heavily increase the defensive and offensive abilities of the move. Here's TheReflexWonder's video on this technique.

Last edited:

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467
Cool, we needed some fresh life into this board ;_;

I was planning on making a thread about Dr Mario's Dr. Tornado, since it has quicker startup than in previous games, allowing it to be used in combos, approaches, and recovery per usual. The only AT I can think of off the head is Doc's ability to grab the ledge by reversing a cape as he goes off the ledge, as Direcreeper has a gif:

KeeblerGuy

Smash Cadet
Uair does not launch opponents up (like Mario's), it launches them forward if hit in by the front and backwards him if hit behind him.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Uair does not launch opponents up (like Mario's), it launches them forward if hit in by the front and backwards him if hit behind him.
Updated. I potentially have made a couple of mistakes with the thread: if any more are spotted, please notify me.

Dobbston

Smash Apprentice
SHFF Bairs are worth noting especially since Bair to Bair (26 dmg) starts to combo on characters around mid percents.

Edit: I don't think it can really be considered a true Wall of Pain since Bair isn't all that safe on guard.

Last edited:

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467
SHFF Bairs are worth noting especially since Bair to Bair (26 dmg) starts to combo on characters around mid percents.

Edit: I don't think it can really be considered a true Wall of Pain since Bair isn't all that safe on guard.
Depends on how well you space it to the ground, though it's still unsafe either way. Offstage though at mid percents, you can kind of use it as a Wall of Pain.

KeeblerGuy

Smash Cadet
I hate to be a nuissance, but you excluded the backwards launching of Uair's hitbox when the opponent is behind Doc.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I hate to be a nuissance, but you excluded the backwards launching of Uair's hitbox when the opponent is behind Doc.
Be one, actually.

I'd rather have to make a bunch of edits than leave it flawed!

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
Doc can reverse his down special tornado. Much like with pills. You can retreat or run through an opponent and quickly return with a tornado. It works reversing a jump's momentum or straight out of a run.

After activating the special attack, you have to immediately flick the stick in the opposite direction during the initial start up frames.

Last edited:

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467
So we all know about Doc's cape not stalling him in the air. It seems like he can do something similar to Mario's Cape glide, except that it's not really a glide.

While I'm not too consistent at this, it seems that at some point in Doc's dash, using the Cape slightly before leaving the edge results in Doc gaining some momentum.

While I'm not getting good uses out of this for edgeguarding into attacks, it does serve as a nice way to move off platforms.

EDIT: Looks like you'll need to time it so that Doc's feet are together during his dash, somewhat similar to this tech in the Mario subforum.

However, using Mario's cape off ledges doesn't result in the massive speed boost Doc gets.

Last edited:

brawlPK

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure how much data has been collected in regards to Dr. Mario's custom moves. But I've noticed that Fast Capsule seems like a pretty useful tool to interrupt opponents and give Dr. Mario much needed momentum in a match. Also, it seems to work similarly to Falco's Laser in Brawl as it can jab-lock opponents up to 3 consecutive hits as long as you capitalize on that missed tech.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
I'm not sure how much data has been collected in regards to Dr. Mario's custom moves. But I've noticed that Fast Capsule seems like a pretty useful tool to interrupt opponents and give Dr. Mario much needed momentum in a match. Also, it seems to work similarly to Falco's Laser in Brawl as it can jab-lock opponents up to 3 consecutive hits as long as you capitalize on that missed tech.
I've noticed this as well. If a B-Air connects on a grounded opponent at around 20%-50% it will give them little opportunity to tech and can easily start the lock.

The most effective strings:
B-Air -> B -> B -> B-> run up -> U-Smash, F-Smash, or D-Smash
B-Air -> B -> B -> B-> Dash Grab -> D-Throw -> U-Air -> U-Air
B-Air -> B -> B -> B-> Down-B (Closeline Tornado can kill and the last hit box of Soaring Tornado can also kill)
B-Air -> B -> B -> B-> Up-B (Ol' One-Two and default can kill, Super Jump can't do damage)
B-Air -> B -> B -> B-> run up -> D-Tilt -> U-Air or Up-B

Not guaranteed but are possible in very rare situations:
F-Throw -> B -> B -> N-Air -> U-Air -> U-Air -> N-Air
D-Throw -> D-Air -> B -> B -> N-Air -> N-Air -> Grab -> D-Throw -> U-Air

I'm also experimenting with a double lock system that goes like this
B-Air -> B -> B -> B-> RAR -> B-Air -> B -> B-> B-> (Insert Punish Here)
Could be interesting but needs further testing before confirming this.

These locks pretty much work on all stages though stages like Battlefiled can set-up locks easier with the platform tumbles.

Last edited:

Astronut

Smash Apprentice
So I've always had the suspicion that Doc's tornado can spike like Luigi's does. Here is gif proof that it is possible, and it's very strong. It seems like you have to hit them with the first hit of tornado while they're at your feet. Then mash B to rise and send them downwards. This could prove to be a very valuable AT if mastered.

https://gfycat.com/DishonestHonorableGalah

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
So I've always had the suspicion that Doc's tornado can spike like Luigi's does. Here is gif proof that it is possible, and it's very strong. It seems like you have to hit them with the first hit of tornado while they're at your feet. Then mash B to rise and send them downwards. This could prove to be a very valuable AT if mastered.

https://gfycat.com/DishonestHonorableGalah
I think that's just a gimp, falling speed looked natural for Palu.
Great Guide! I'd be nice to see the angles of the KB.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
OFF THE TOP KILLS (all tested on the ground)
Up smash-81-124
Ol' One Two-88
Up tilt-165

IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STAGE KILLS (moves used anywhere on stage to kill that kill off the side)
Forward Smash-55%-90%
Down smash front hit-101-141 back hit-79-119

AT STARTING POSITION KILLS (moves that would likely be used as edge guards or punishes near the edge to kill)
Super jump punch-122
Back Air-134
Foward air-100 (thats not an estimate)
Dr. tornado-167 when all hits connect
Shocking Sheet-108
Clothesline Tornado-185-you see this is why no one uses this move. less damage and kill power than the original Dr. tornado unless you can manage to get 2 hits with it AND it can't help recover AND its slower

All moves tesed against mario on FD in training mode on 3ds, which factors in rage mode as well

Last edited:

busken

Smash Ace
I'm kinda surprised there isn't a Dr. Tornado AT.
imo i dont consider b-reversing a tech but if you b-reverse dr.tornado you can change the way doc is facing which in turn can manipulate the direction of where your opponent is knocked back.

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
After vigourous testing, I can confirm that dair has a 5% damage hitbox that may or may not be a spike.

It seems you've got to be facing away and hit with the heel to land it.

busken

Smash Ace
Cool, we needed some fresh life into this board ;_;

I was planning on making a thread about Dr Mario's Dr. Tornado, since it has quicker startup than in previous games, allowing it to be used in combos, approaches, and recovery per usual. The only AT I can think of off the head is Doc's ability to grab the ledge by reversing a cape as he goes off the ledge, as Direcreeper has a gif:
So do you b-reverse the cape or?

busken

Smash Ace
I came up with a little technique that I call the Up-B Cancel Ledge Trump. The description on the video should explain everything.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I6gfuSb6DxY

I also made an example video of how it can be used.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c04T4rCirX8
Why does Tap Jump have to be OFF?

What are the exact inputs you're doing? Because doing an Up B towards the ledge and facing the opposite direction is a turnaround-Up B. A turnaround Up B doesn't have a hitbox on both sides though. Are you manipulating your special move momentum at all? I'm confused...

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice
Why does Tap Jump have to be OFF?

What are the exact inputs you're doing? Because doing an Up B towards the ledge and facing the opposite direction is a turnaround-Up B. A turnaround Up B doesn't have a hitbox on both sides though. Are you manipulating your special move momentum at all? I'm confused...
I guess so you won't accidentally jump and overshoot past the ledge.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Some words of advise:
  • Uair is a late % combo tool, but early % starts out as a info grabber (helps reads opponents better to cover options). However, it's almost always better to do a RAR Bair for consistency and reliability.
  • Pills are your life saver in the neutral (ironic for a doctor to be saved by pills than him saving people with pills a bit). They are a excellent poking tool that allows us to have our say in the match, instead of playing like kirby in brawl or this game. Use this pills wisely and know their bounce trajectory to properly space them when the opponent is rushing, on the ledge, retreating, jumping (our pills jump higher than fireballs, which is a pro and con). However, use them wrongly (the opponent is too close) and it's only a matter of time Before they reach you (probably in one second, depending on character).
  • Up-b is a versatile move in our arsenal since it kills and defends depending on situation. It also edge guards really well since it's fast and has done disjoint on it and trading is always in our favor (since our back is toward the stage, we get knocked back to safety while they get knocked back further away from it). Learn to b reverse it and watch nice things happen.
  • Fsmash is hard to land with its short range, but it contains the power of a knee of justice. Try to land it at later % as much (and as safely) as possible.
  • Nair is a underrated move IMO and should be used a lot more. Hitting it later results in more damage and knockback for added shield safety, not to mention it's a meaty attack so while your opponent drops their shield to attack, your attack has probably already ended for a up-b to be used or cross over shield for more pressure. Nair is a really good move. Use it.
  • Dair is weird. I need to lab it out more to find its use. Burnin guessing it's good for combo starters and mix ups.
  • Ftilt is a shield poke. A true one. Use this in your opponent when you want to test their actions. Play with them.
  • RAR Uair juggles are a nice little treat when setup right.
  • Cape is a nice move since it keeps us from being destroyed by villager, Rob, and other projectile characters. It also does wonders for those who can read opponents like a book because if you know how they will react when capped, then they die. We kill almost like a heavy character with good frame data.
  • Down B is our core and integral move for recovering, period. It also kills pretty well ( not as good as luigi though....) and can be used as a read-based follow up after Dthrow. I can also think of fall-off down b as a edge guarding trick but I have yet to use it or test.
My thoughts after playing doc mario for like 3-4 weeks. Lol

busken

Smash Ace
I know how to apply all of doc's moves but too lazy to make a thread now, maybe later. Also, Up-B has no disjoint.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
I know how to apply all of doc's moves but too lazy to make a thread now, maybe later. Also, Up-B has no disjoint.
I just went into training mode and tested it against ZSS.the stage was final destination and I had her on the edge on the right. I stood about 2 steps closer than doc's roll length. I was able to connect with up-b and ZSS a wasn't connected to the fist.
Disjoint.
EDIT: I also did it with a bob-omb. I hit it while it couldn't hit me.

Last edited:

busken

Smash Ace
I just went into training mode and tested it against ZSS.the stage was final destination and I had her on the edge on the right. I stood about 2 steps closer than doc's roll length. I was able to connect with up-b and ZSS a wasn't connected to the fist.
Disjoint.
That just means the hitbox is deceptive, it doesn't mean it's a disjoint. The same can be done with Little Mac's Up B. http://www.ssbwiki.com/Hitbox

Doc's Up B has invincibility on the fist on the first frame btw.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Some words of advise:
  • Uair is a late % combo tool, but early % starts out as a info grabber (helps reads opponents better to cover options). However, it's almost always better to do a RAR Bair for consistency and reliability.
  • Pills are your life saver in the neutral (ironic for a doctor to be saved by pills than him saving people with pills a bit). They are a excellent poking tool that allows us to have our say in the match, instead of playing like kirby in brawl or this game. Use this pills wisely and know their bounce trajectory to properly space them when the opponent is rushing, on the ledge, retreating, jumping (our pills jump higher than fireballs, which is a pro and con). However, use them wrongly (the opponent is too close) and it's only a matter of time Before they reach you (probably in one second, depending on character).
  • Up-b is a versatile move in our arsenal since it kills and defends depending on situation. It also edge guards really well since it's fast and has done disjoint on it and trading is always in our favor (since our back is toward the stage, we get knocked back to safety while they get knocked back further away from it). Learn to b reverse it and watch nice things happen.
  • Fsmash is hard to land with its short range, but it contains the power of a knee of justice. Try to land it at later % as much (and as safely) as possible.
  • Nair is a underrated move IMO and should be used a lot more. Hitting it later results in more damage and knockback for added shield safety, not to mention it's a meaty attack so while your opponent drops their shield to attack, your attack has probably already ended for a up-b to be used or cross over shield for more pressure. Nair is a really good move. Use it.
  • Dair is weird. I need to lab it out more to find its use. Burnin guessing it's good for combo starters and mix ups.
  • Ftilt is a shield poke. A true one. Use this in your opponent when you want to test their actions. Play with them.
  • RAR Uair juggles are a nice little treat when setup right.
  • Cape is a nice move since it keeps us from being destroyed by villager, Rob, and other projectile characters. It also does wonders for those who can read opponents like a book because if you know how they will react when capped, then they die. We kill almost like a heavy character with good frame data.
  • Down B is our core and integral move for recovering, period. It also kills pretty well ( not as good as luigi though....) and can be used as a read-based follow up after Dthrow. I can also think of fall-off down b as a edge guarding trick but I have yet to use it or test.
My thoughts after playing doc mario for like 3-4 weeks. Lol
Dair is an ok cross up tool and is okay at challenging other moves when spaced correctly. It also knocks people back horizontally so it's an interesting edge guard option.

Down-B is definitely a good edge guarding tool, (albeit a risky one), because it can cover both high and low options.

F Tilt < D Tilt, both as a spacing tool and a combo tool. You can check the moveset thread in more detail, but the gist of it is that it's a safe punish tool and a more versatile combo starter.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Idk, ftilt to me feels like the better poke with it's superior range, while dtilt is more rewarding while having less range, so it feels a bit riskier.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
I don't think the range difference between F Tilt and D Tilt is that significant. F Tilt can combo off of a falling U Air and can be pivoted and angled, so it covers more space. However, as a general poking tool, I'd opt for D Tilt.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
It's something that works at low percents. If can you read the landing, after the nair, go for another utilt or regrab.
it combos at low percents? k, i will lab it out later.

urgh, down throw to fair is becoming easier to do, but there are so many things that hinder its' reliability.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
down throw to full hop dair works at low percentages. still working our the specifics. you can follow up into sourspot up b too.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Anyone ever tried the Jab 1 to up-b kill set up? It works like the Jab 1&2 to up-b, but only on floaty characters like Jigglypuff and Kirby, and close to the ledge.

Top Bottom