• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Baltimore Tourney at UMBC - Next: TBD

UMBC Super Smasher

Smash Lord
NEW! I have recording capabilities now! I'll be using a 500 GB external HDD for storage and a Plextor video capture device (high quality). I will have a VCR at the tournament with two VHS tapes to record matches. As things are now, I can only guarantee that I'll record and put on-line the semi-finals and finals matches. However, if someone else wants to bring a VHS, record some games, and take their VHS back to their house to upload, then I have no problem with that.

WHERE: The University of Maryland Baltimore County Game Room, located inside The Commons building on the 3rd floor.

WHEN: Fall 07 (11/xx/07)

PARKING: Free parking along the loop (Hilltop Circle) which circumferences the entire campus. I believe that parking in the Commons Garage is also free.

ADDRESS:
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, MD 21250
HINT: Use MAPQUEST!

CAMPUS MAP:
http://www.umbc.edu/aboutumbc/campusmap/map_flash.html

TOURNAMENTS: $5 for Singles and $5 for Doubles ($10 per team). Standard MLG Rules apply. Doubles will be done using Double Elimination and Singles will be done using pools (if over 30 entrants, otherwise Double Elimination). Doubles begin at noon, and singles begin at 3pm or immediately after doubles end should doubles continue beyond 3pm.

Prize Payouts:
Singles:
1. 65%
2. 25%
3. 10%

Doubles:
1. 80%
2. 20%
3. Money back

FACILITIES: There are 4x27" tv's in the game room and 1x40" tv. In addition to those, I reserved 2 additional tv's for a total of 7. There are 4xGamecubes. I can supply an additional gamecube for the 40" TV. There are also 8xpool tables, 2xping pong tables, air hockey, foosball, chess, checkers, and 4xXbox-- but that's all irrelevant to smashers!. In The Commons building is a restaurant that is like a hybrid between McDonalds/Burger King that sells burgers and such. It's open till at least 9pm, maybe midnight, I can't remember.

SNACKS:When people wish to purchase a drink or snack from the game room, you must pay money into a machine to get a guest card. The game room does NOT accept cash; you must pay with the guest card. The machine is located just inside the game room doors to the left. The process goes like this: 1. hit start, 2. Purchase Card, 3. Insert $1, 4. Start, 5. Add money to account, 6. Swipe card, 7. Add bill, etc. Then just present the card to the game room staff and they will subtract the amount from the card balance. Thanks!

DIRECTIONS AND PARKING TO UMBC: There are two main entrances to UMBC. One is off of I-195. If you are choosing this entrance, once you reach UMBC, you should make a left onto Hilltop circle (the circle which goes around the campus) , and then make a right at the first light. This brings you to several parking lots in which you are allowed to park for free during weekends. The other entrance is for people coming from 695, or from Catonsville. These drivers should enter thru the traffic round-about on Wilkins avenue, and head straight into campus, and go straight through the light to reach that same parking lot.

Click the link below, and enter your address to get your own directions to campus.

Directions to UMBC Campus

MY DIRECTIONS: The Commons, as you can see on the campus map, is basically in the center of campus. You know you're in the center of campus because there is a large field with the library at one end of it. The Commons is on the side of the field. You know you're in it because there is a front desk, a floor with all food eateries, the book store, Chevy Chase Bank (and an ATM), and a game room on the 3rd floor with a bunch of smashers. You'll have to walk up a steep/long ~20 step flight of stairs to get to the game room. IF YOU CAN'T FIND IT, JUST ASK ANYONE ON CAMPUS. It's really easy to find it, lol. This isn't UMD College Park.

ATTENDING:

POSSIBLY ATTENDING:

CUBES: x/x (bring extras just in case)
4xUMBC

TV's: x/x
7xUMBC

COPIES OF SMASH: x/x

BYOC!!! (Bring Your Own Controller)
BRING TV'S, CUBES AND COPIES OF SMASH!!!

For those familiar with Hat's Catonsville smashfests, this is about a 5 minute drive from there. It's right off of 95. There is a sign to the right of 95 for UMBC and Catonsville! It's exit 47B. Make sure to be in the slow lane and to slow down so you don't whiz by it without noticing.

See you guys there!

TOURNEY RESULTS FROM OCTOBER 27

TOURNEY RESULTS FROM SEPTEMBER 29:

TOURNEY RESULTS FROM MAY 19:

TOURNEY RESULTS FROM APRIL 28:

TOURNEY RESULTS FROM APRIL 7:

TOURNEY RESULTS FROM MARCH 10:

Frozen

Smash Lord
I'll be there....are we able to bring additional setups though?...or like, cubes so we can rip Xbox's out of tv's and put cubes in?

UMBC Super Smasher

Smash Lord
Each tv has both a gamecube and xbox hooked up to it. No, you can't rip any of the systems out ;)

I suppose you guys could bring extra setups if you'd like. There is a road called Commons Dr. that goes into a loop that runs right next to The Commons, so you could drive your car there and carry the setups from there.

EDIT: Any ideas from anyone on when to start the tournament, and which one to do first? It's really a matter of when u guys want to leave. I picked 12pm as a neutral time, so people who live further away have time to sleep/travel, and it's not as late as 3pm. I was thinking we'd do friendlies for a couple hours, then once we think we have everyone there, start the tourneys.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Technomancer for 12pm to ??? (probably like 3:00) I have to work.

MORE SMASH ON FRIDAY FTW plank looking forward to playing you

cmart

Smash Lord
UMBC how do you get to btree's from there? If it's public transportation I can do it. If not I'll need to bug someone for a ride.

EEvisu

Smash Lord
Lol well since this whole thing was MY IDEA! I suppose I'll come, should be a nice torny.

UMBC Super Smasher

Smash Lord
UMBC how do you get to btree's from there? If it's public transportation I can do it. If not I'll need to bug someone for a ride.
lol it's the most simple thing to get to Btree's and back from UMBC. He's only 4.5 miles away. From my dorm: take Center Road to Hilltop Circle. Turn onto Walker Avenue from Hilltop Circle. Turn onto Wilkens from Walker Avenue. Go straight down Wilkens for ~4 miles. In terms of land marks... first I pass Wilkens Plaza, then Beechtree Rd., a cemetary, a Hospital, then I'm practically at Btree's place. For coming to UMBC, it's just the opposite. It's really simple. I know public transportation goes right down Wilkens also.

Looks like a fair amount of interest with no other smashfests going on this weekend. This is my first time hosting one of these at UMBC, so we'll see how it goes. I decided to do this cause I thought it had potential. I'll talk to the game room supervisor again tomorrow to make sure he doesn't get surprised when he sees a whole bunch of people in the game room when it's normally near empty. I'd like to stay on his good side so I can do this again if it goes well.

Bring extra setups people! Seems we'll need them :p I have a 27" tv I could potentially bring from my dorm room.

Ghostype

Smash Champion
There's a UMBC bus like outside my house last I checked, but how close does it come to your school UMBC?

Edit: And okay I'll check again, do you want me to bring my laptop with tio on it?? I'm not bringing it only to find out someone else has something. It was dead weight at C3 since chillin brought his without saying anything. I don't wanna lug it around on a bus again if you don't need it...

Aero

Smash Journeyman
i may attend, perhaps with 5%/tin/fob

unsure overall

UMBC Super Smasher

Smash Lord
There's a UMBC bus like outside my house last I checked, but how close does it come to your school UMBC?

Edit: And okay I'll check again, do you want me to bring my laptop with tio on it?? I'm not bringing it only to find out someone else has something. It was dead weight at C3 since chillin brought his without saying anything. I don't wanna lug it around on a bus again if you don't need it...
Technically you're supposed to be a UMBC student to ride the UMBC Transit bus. However, they have never checked ID for me. The buses stop at UMBC. Here is information on them:

http://www.umbc.edu/transit/

hova

Smash Champion
i wanna use all fox and ness, but i gotta ask plairnkk cuz he might yell at me

Plairnkk- can i use all fox and ness???

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
u can use all fox and ness, but if u lose the first match with ness u gotta go fox for the rest of the set.

Frozen

Smash Lord
Btree and Cmart I have no problem picking you both up from your houses and taking you there. Btree do you know the way to Cmart's house from yours?...that would make it really simple.

Frozen

Smash Lord
Oh and because someone had to get this going....

MM's with everyone!

And yes UMBC you're the man for doing this.

cmart

Smash Lord
It's okay Frozen Plairnkk already knows where I live, and you'd probably get lost in the city again. (plus I already owe you gas money <.<)

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
just get btree, frzn, ill get christopher.

im excited, this should be fun

Frozen

Smash Lord
It's okay Frozen Plairnkk already knows where I live, and you'd probably get lost in the city again. (plus I already owe you gas money <.<)
lol alright, I wasn't going to charge, just thought i'd offer a ride since i'd be in the area.

<3

UMBC Super Smasher

Smash Lord
Good stuff. I'll be there early of course in case anyone arrives early. I'm working my best to make sure everything goes smoothly. Currently I'm in contact with the head supervisor of the game room to see if it's ok if people bring in cubes/tv's on their own.

UMBC Super Smasher

Smash Lord
I need to play both RaRaRachael and Redd. How badly would Redd's falco beat me? hmmmm I must know! I've seen vids of Redd's falco, plus any Team Arlington member must be amazing :)

Bowsertree/Appletree/Ranma/Ron/etc, could you bring your laptop? Do you have Tournament Maker on it? If not, then I can transfer it over via my jump drive.

Top Bottom