• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the "isai" gentleman

vexed69

Smash Apprentice
I know how to do 3 types of gentleman's: jab --> pause --> jab gentleman; jab--> jab -->pause -->gentleman; and jab --> pause --> jab --> pause --> gentleman (this is the only one i can do when not hitting someone). What i don't know how to do is what i call the "isai" gentleman (though all the top falcons do it i think it's rightfully isai since he is the king of the world). This is the one that is almost (if not just as) as fast as just spamming the a (but this ends with turbo punches). I can't figure out the timing at all, and i've tried. I have done this a few times by mistake but i can't do it consistently

hELP ME ISAI!

Cort

Apple Head
Isai has told me he only uses A, A, A. There's also an A, A, JAM BACK, A which can be done really really quickly and still pulls off the gentleman, but I don't know.

I use A, A, A+Z and hold Z for a tiny fraction of a second after the punch goes off and then jump, and I can usually get no shield to pop up a good portion of the time... It's just as fast as Isai does it.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
I've never even seen Isai use the gentleman. I always thought that was a SilentSpectre thing.

vexed69

Smash Apprentice
no it is a ****ing isai thing just like captain falcon is an isai thing, i see isai use it and i am always like "isai is the best"

vexed69

Smash Apprentice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBRzwf-ZeiY

there you go, isai using gentleman, nevermind that random turbo punch attacking no one a few seconds after it (around 2 mins and something), probably just a mindgame that succeeded, like that story eric told me about with the tennis player who hits hte ball into the net to pwn his enemy. It's .'. been proven to work in 2 cases and thus always works.

Cort

Apple Head
Oh, A A Z work also? Does it work the same way as A+Z?...

That's funny, I've been pressing an extra button all this time.

Cort

Apple Head
Oh, I see. I guess A A A+Z is the fastest as it requires no pausing at all. I dislike the pausing gentlemens, they look so sloppy =P

Lab Rat™

Smash Journeyman
Oh, I see. I guess A A A+Z is the fastest as it requires no pausing at all. I dislike the pausing gentlemens, they look so sloppy =P
yeah i really dislike them too, but not becasue they look sloppy, they actually look pretty cool IMO, i dislike them because sometimes if the pause is too long after the A A, they can grab you if they are shielding... if you could learn the isai gentlemen, you wouldnt have to worry about getting grabbed

i gotta practice that

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Yes, and timing for the A+Z at the same time is actually somewhat diffictult, since the Z button has such an odd feeling to it. For me at least, I was missing it so much the other day I was thinking it didn't work but with practice I got it back.

punisher47

Smash Journeyman
i never tried that A A A-Z thing but just using AAA works fine for me. just after you hit the last A dont hold it or youll do the rapid punch. so try it out i guess see if it works for you.

froz3ntear

Smash Ace
i never tried that A A A-Z thing but just using AAA works fine for me. just after you hit the last A dont hold it or youll do the rapid punch. so try it out i guess see if it works for you.
AAA will never let you do it as fast as A A Z

A A Z requires a small pause and rythym.

A A A+Z requires no such things.
I just went to my GC and tested it out. What pause are you talking about? A A Z works just as smoothly. If the shield is going up after your 2 jabs, thats because you're pressing Z way too early, but its the same if you press A+Z to early also.

Shadow_I)ragoon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SyNeaX
There's no pause between A-A-Z im using this since I learned gentleman and since i got the timing good i don't see any pause in it.

Cort

Apple Head
I've done some testing and found out that A A Z can be done with no pauses, but for some reason it was rarely working. It worked more frequently if I added a tiny pause before the Z. A A A+Z can be done with no pauses at all, but I sometimes fail at it.

However, A A <back on the control stick> + A works flawlessly for me. I rarely ever messed up and there's no ugly shield that pops up after. There's absolutely no pausing between any button presses. A perfect Isai gentlemen!

edit// I've just realized it works with any direction + A for the last hit. >_> Back seems funnest though.

Vall3y

Smash Lord
lol this is crazy
someone should really check with ar or something how to do a perfect gentlemen with out pauses, and if all the a+z\shielding\back on control stick do anything

froz3ntear

Smash Ace
However, A A <back on the control stick> + A works flawlessly for me. I rarely ever messed up and there's no ugly shield that pops up after.
Wow, no ugly shield? I never knew that you could do it pressing back on the control stick. I'll test this out real quick when I get home from school ^^. + rep for you.

moogle

Smash Ace
I don't have a cube around to test this, but this is what I remember:

1. You must actually be hitting someone or something. You can't attack the darkness.
2. Tap A A A, but HOLD the third A. This should do the Gentleman. No special timing or spacing or speed. But don't press A more than 3 times.

That's all.

You can hold Z instead of A, but obviously you might pop up a light shield. Some people might find it easier to do it with Z. I prefer A.

This whole post could be a lie.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
So basically everyone has conflicting preferences and data, yippee. I'm going to go test everything right now so yeah.

And pauses can equal even minimal time such as even a few frames. You can not space AAZ or AAA evenly and do a gentlemen.

Magnum Opus

Smash Journeyman
no it is a ****ing isai thing just like captain falcon is an isai thing, i see isai use it and i am always like "isai is the best"
thats a ****ing awesome quote.

also, the topic should be changed because you NEVER USE QUOTATIONS AROUND ISAI.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
okay I just did my testing and decided that do whatever floats your boat :p

With AAA there is a minimal required pause after the first two jabs in succession, same with AAZ. With AA(A+Z) and AA<A(or Z?) there seems to be little room for error except human mistakes with either hitting the buttons not at the same time or holding back to soon or late. So that means with this data there is one super mutant gentlemen that is the best which is AA < (A+Z) [joking of course]

So yeah, do what works. RaSeruCort's method is good and it also works with down not just back. And I just read his edit saying that they can all do it, I like down the best.

So yeah, do whatever. They should just remove rapid punches for Brawl =/

Vall3y

Smash Lord
ok i figured it out
there are two ways of doing the gentlemen
you either blink your left eye then press A A Z
or you press A A, and flip the controller upside down then press another A

lol :laugh: its all about superstitions i think
looks like no one has a way that has it work 100% of the time
maybe it has a chance to rapid punch anyway?
someone should REALLY check it with AR

Xelyst

-_-
I thought it was A>A>L/R/Z>A Pressed all on an equal spaced interval. (which has worked flawlessly for me) w/e

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
Isai please come here or SS and answer this question...but any way im workin on the A-A-(hold direction)+A cause that sounds like my type of gentlemen.

vexed69

Smash Apprentice
i think the A+A+(A+Z) is the easiest to do consistently, however i have done just as fast gentlemans with A+A+A (but al ot less consistent), i am sure isai just uses A+A+A , he seems like that kinda guy. Doesn't need fnacy crutches like "c stick" or "z" (except to grab, maybe ?). Isai is a pimp and anyone who tells you differently is a ***

MO0NWALKER

Smash Cadet
just got to get your timing down right, just like wding. also i do believe that darkrain does it quite a bit, and isia does do it, but i think maybe more with his fox? jab, jab, shine, works hella

extragrandeben

Smash Journeyman
I think you just have to have some kind of weird connection with the game. I just think what I want and it comes out 70% of the time.
"Go jab jab grab"
"Go jab jab jab"
"Jab grab!"
I always use Z for all subsequent punches after A. It seems random. But I can control it, too.
It's very odd.
I think if you just play Falcon enough you get whatever the **** his random-*** rhythm is.
All your AAA AA(A+Z) superstiton is just you playing falcon and getting a feel for it, :- P

Viking Ness

Smash Journeyman
I gentleman'd twice today. As soon as I kneed, I tapped back. So if I was facing right, as soon as I hit with the knee, I dashed left and that somehow stopped the turbo punches.

blakmage

Smash Apprentice
I just tried this, and it worked for me (as long as I was hitting someone) when on the third A, I pressed any other button or direction, let go of that other button/direction, and hold A. So A, A, A+any direction/button, then hold A. C-stick, control stick, jump, taunt, R/L, y/x, z, b. All worked.

yes!

Smash Apprentice
i use A,A,A+Z no pauses and it works perfectly. it's only inconsistent because i'm not getting the timing right in syncing the A and Z perfectly. however, silentspectre tells me he uses A,A,hold Z until light shield pops up. he gets it pretty **** consistently so maybe you all should try that. i personally like A,A,A+Z because there is absolutely no pause between the gentlemen (which is actually the knee after those 2 punche). there is a slight pause if u use the A,A,Z version

Mista Sinista

Smash Lord
I don't hold Z because waiting for the light shield to pop up prevents you from following up.

Keep it gully like me and do a gentleman -> knee ftw.

Top Bottom