• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newcomer: BONK!

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord

Bonk's Moveset:

B: Bonk - Of course! Bonk's Smash Forward is a headbutt as well, but this one works differently. It has the speed of a Giant Punch from DK, and about the same power and knockback with no charge. Sounds cheap, I know, but considering that his head is only big and wide, but not long, the reach is terrible. The Smash attack version can be charged, and has varying power/knockback, as well as a different enemy "flight path."

Forward B: Spear - Bonk can use this without being Fester now, apparently. He tosses a glowing, silver spear that stuns opponents temporarily if it hits. Not that useful.

Up B: Jumping Bonk - Bonk leaps into the air and flips around, suddenly transforming into Fester Bonk and flying down, at a bit of angle, headfirst into the ground. When he hits the ground, it has somewhere between the power of a Bowser Bomb and Yoshi's Hip Drop, with knockback somewhere in between as well. Rather than shooting off little stars, Fester will paralyze anybody in immediate range of his crashing area. They're stuck for roughly 3 seconds, but may squeeze out before that. Fester turns back into Bonk after he deals the damage, and Bonk is dazed for a split second to a second. If you L cancel, it's obviously shorter. Now, there are a few tricks with this attack. For one, you can cancel the "ground pound" if you do it onto a ledge; Fester becomes Bonk again and that's that. Also, if you keep tapping B after you've already executed the attack, Bonk won't transform, but will keep flipping in midair until you stop pressing B and he goes into the attack. This gives him some good slow down to his jump. In the air, Bonk doesn't leap as high.

Down B: RAGE! - Bonk doesn't have to be tiny to do this anymore. He yells and a bunch of stone letters spelling "RAGE!" fly from his mouth. They will bounce off walls and can be used as a platform for whatever situation, but they disappear soon, and will smash to bits letter by letter if they hit something.

Super Smash: Kronkzilla - Bonk goes into a rage and transforms into Kronkzilla. He pretty much plows through everything, like he has a Hammer, and pressing B or A makes him flick his tongue, which is the same as his Bonk attack, but with far more range. This only lasts for about as long as any other transformative Super Smash.

NOTES:
-I want to incorporate Bonk's Head Roll as well. I was thinking making Rage "Tiny" only, and Head Roll "Super" only, and giving him a "Normal" Down B, but that's no fun, limiting what attacks you can use to item effects now, is it? :p
-Bonk, silimar to my idea for Diddy, can climb walls! If you jump into a wall, press against it and Bonk will bite down with his teeth. You can press Up or Down to climb that way, or Away from the wall to fall off. A, B, or Jump makes him jump off. You are still vulnerable on a wall, and if you don't move, you'll start to slide down to your possible doom.
-Bonk can also Wall Jump, though it's not as effective as the other characters'. He bounces off the wall using his head, and gets some distance off as well, but not very fast nor high. It's hard not to hang on to climb on accident; you need to be quick about it.
-Bonk's head has a high priority. It can block a lot of projectiles and attacks. But it also makes him top heavy. He has serious lag after attacking with it, and, like I said before, it gives him shifting weight. He's a fast faller because of it too.

Also known as PC Genjin in Japan, or sometimes Kid Bonk, Kid Caveman, or whatever else, he's the mascot of the TurboGrafx console, and he's ready to kick tail!

If you want some reasoning why I think he will participate, read my other thread here.

Bonk would offer a unique combination of a mid speed, lightweight character with a lot of physical power and something new to Smash Bros.: top heaviness. Hitting him in his head isn't nearly as effective as below the chin, because of that massive cranium he's got. Now that's a cool idea, I think.

Also, Bonk is a fine representative for a company that has stayed pretty true to Nintendo, Hudson, and a console that has now joined the Nintendo "family" on the Virtual Console. He'd offer a lot of nostalgia to players in both East and West, and to those who don't remember him, he'd definitely be interesting enough to check out, don't you think?

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Yes. Bonk's Adventure has been ported to GameBoy and NES, as has Bonk's Revenge to the GameBoy. He also had his own two-game SNES series, Super Bonk, which played very similar to Bonk's Adventure 3. Then Bonk's Adventure was remade for the Gamecube...

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Bomberman has more recognizability on his side, but Bonk has the flavor and originality keep him alfoat. Either are very likely, but I would put a little bit of an edge more so to Bonk, because of his mascot history and potential. He would definitely have the "WTF" potential like Snake did too, making him more likely as a "SURPRISE!" character.

SMB PORTAL

Smash Ace
I am not sure you can say that this guy has the equal chance of getting in as Bomberman. Really, he is not as known.

If you went up to any random Nintendo fan and you asked them if they knew who Bomberman was, they would probably know who you are talking about.'

If you went up to any random Nintendo fan and you asked them if they knew who Bonk was, they would probably not know who they are.

I mean, I never actually heard or known about Bonk till I read this thread, he just seems to alien to be in Smash.

-SMB

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
FlipTroopa said:
Bomberman has more recognizability on his side, but Bonk has the flavor and originality keep him alfoat. Either are very likely, but I would put a little bit of an edge more so to Bonk, because of his mascot history and potential. He would definitely have the "WTF" potential like Snake did too, making him more likely as a "SURPRISE!" character.
Based on your arguments, forget Sonic, Alex Kidd for Brawl!.
Well, Im fine having Bonk for Brawl so we can have another "WTF!" character. But I also want Sonic so we can have a "DREAMS COME TRUE!" character.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Well when Nintendo puts him in the game to advertise the Virtual Console along with Sonic, we'll see who was right in the end... :laugh:

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
FlipTroopa said:
Well when Nintendo puts him in the game to advertise the Virtual Console along with Sonic, we'll see who was right in the end... :laugh:
I totally forgot that Virtual Console issue. In that case, Bonk gets his chances up. I'll pick him as my 2nd choice for a Brawl character (Snake, Sonic and Bonk. That's a weird trio).

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Tomasiarity said:
I totally forgot that Virtual Console issue. In that case, Bonk gets his chances up. I'll pick him as my 2nd choice for a Brawl character (Snake, Sonic and Bonk. That's a weird trio).
I'm attempting a discussion about it at this link: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=77778

So check that out. There's two pretty well-argued sides to the issue, but, of course, I'll try and tell you my point and not McFox's :laugh:

Just read the thread :p

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
commonyoshi said:
I thought Bonk was that furry guy on XBOX.
Edit: Maybe there are two Bonks? This should make the topic creator happy.
http://wireless.ign.com/articles/703/703182p1.html
Haha :laugh: I remember hearing about that cellphone game. Awesome :) Hudson, because of their cut in funds, has been really only developing big sellers and then everything else for crappy handhelds, like cell phones. I think Atlus does most of their publishing in the US now, since they don't even have the resources for that anymore. Such a shame... more the reason for Nintendo to help them :p All the Japanese developers took a beating from the Western ones when video games suddenly jumped to a more western focused industry. Capcom canned the "BIG SEVEN LOL" for Gamecube because of it, Hudson was bought by Konami because of it, Sega went third party because of it, and even Square had to merge with Enix because of it. Nintendo and Sony are like the only ones completely unphased.

Anyways, you're thinking of Blinx for the XBOX, with the cat. He had that weird time-machine/vacuum, but I don't think it was that bad of a game. Never actually played it, but it looked cool. I think it was made by the guys that are making Yoshi's Island 2 for the DS. Is that a good thing? Blinx failed as the XBOX cutesy mascot, so I don't know :laugh:

Jenkins: Spy Monkey

Smash Journeyman
That means if clones are in Brawl you could totally make Air Zonk, too!! In that case I vote yes, on Bonk, but slightly more yes on Bomberman

Pit 42

Smash Lord
Bonk can't be in Brawl. Only characters that have appeared on a Nintendo platform can be in Brawl. However, this thread will continue to blab on about Bonk being in Brawl regardless of the facts.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
We can dream and hope cant we? Even if the odds seem impossible. Take the East coast vs. the West coast match. No one really expected East coast to win. But they tried and they surprised everyone.

Jenkins: Spy Monkey

Smash Journeyman
Bonk has appeared twice on the Super Nintendo. And I believe he has had a game ported to the gameboy, and I also remember there being a Bonk game being released on the GC in Japan, but maybe I'm just blabbing.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
Pit 42 said:
Bonk can't be in Brawl. Only characters that have appeared on a Nintendo platform can be in Brawl. However, this thread will continue to blab on about Bonk being in Brawl regardless of the facts.
Jenkins: Spy Monkey said:
Bonk has appeared twice on the Super Nintendo. And I believe he has had a game ported to the gameboy, and I also remember there being a Bonk game being released on the GC in Japan, but maybe I'm just blabbing.
omg pwned. And um, hello Pit 42, does SOLID SNAKE ring any bells?

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Thanks Doktur for covering that for me.

Bonk has appeared in the following games for Nintendo consoles:

NES
Bonk's Adventure (a port)

GB
Bonk's Adventure (original)
Bonk's Revenge (original)
GB Genjin Land (Japan-only board game/Bonk game)
Bonk Collection (all three GB Bonk games in one)

SNES
Super Bonk (original)
Super Bonk 2 (original)

GAMECUBE
Hudson Selection Vol. 3: Bonk's Adventure (full-on remake of the first Bonk game, with 3D graphics)

WII
Any TurboGrafx Bonk game (and by extension, ZONK game :p)

In actuality, if you look at all the games Bonk has appeared in, the most common consoles for him to be on, outside of TGFX, are the Nintendo consoles. He's only appeared as a cameo character on Sega consoles, never in his own game, and the Gamecube remake was also released for PS2. He is getting that new cellphone game as well.

Once again: don't understimate ****ing Bonk. Seriously people :laugh: Japanese love the little dude.

Pit 42

Smash Lord
omg pwned. And um, hello Pit 42, does SOLID SNAKE ring any bells?
Solid Snake was on Nintendo before. And could someone post an image of Bonk's SNES game? I find it hard to believe that Bonk would be on the system of one of his competitors.

Pit 42

Smash Lord
That's just messed up. Why would anyone care about a caveman who half the gaming population doesn't even care about. Most casual gamers who like Brawl would pick up the game and see Bonk in it and say "Who's that?"

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Because:

A. There are still people who are old enough to remember Bonk playing games like Smash Bros. Most of the staffers on IGN, for example.

B. Bonk is still going strong in Japan.

C. It completes a little triforce of what the Wii offers: Nintendo, Sega, Hudson. You have Mario, Sonic, and Bonk. NES generations, Genesis (and potentially Saturn), TurboGrafx.

It just makes sense to me.

Ms. Pac-Master

Smash Journeyman
LMAO. How do you find these guys, FlipTroopa? Next I'll be seeing a "Q*Bert for Brawl Support Thread!" with your moveset on it. :laugh:

I approve this one. Bonk would definatley make a good "WTF?" character. He kinda reminds me of Baby Mario, only he sucked up a lot of air and it went to his head. I'll certainly give him a try if I see him in SSBB. :D

DokturSea

Smash Lord
Ms. Pac-Master said:
LMAO. How do you find these guys, FlipTroopa? Next I'll be seeing a "Q*Bert for Brawl Support Thread!" with your moveset on it. :laugh:
@!#?!#!

Oh Q-Bert...he SHOULD make it in.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Ms. Pac-Master said:

I approve this one. Bonk would definatley make a good "WTF?" character. He kinda reminds me of Baby Mario, only he sucked up a lot of air and it went to his head. I'll certainly give him a try if I see him in SSBB. :D
SHH! Cut it out, or you'll ruin the surprise of my next thread! :mad:

;)

Pit 42

Smash Lord
Because: A. There are still people who are old enough to remember Bonk playing games like Smash Bros. Most of the staffers on IGN, for example.

B. Bonk is still going strong in Japan.

C. It completes a little triforce of what the Wii offers: Nintendo, Sega, Hudson. You have Mario, Sonic, and Bonk. NES generations, Genesis (and potentially Saturn), TurboGrafx.

It just makes sense to me.
Ya, ya, the whole thing with Turbo-Graphx, but seriously, was Bonk really that big a hit? Just because a character is strong in Japan doesn't mean we should have it too. The Japanese hate Metroid games, yet we get those because WE like them. And I don't know a lot of people who have an old TurboGraphx that go around sdaying "I love Bonk!!". He's a worthless addition.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
Pit 42 said:
Ya, ya, the whole thing with Turbo-Graphx, but seriously, was Bonk really that big a hit? Just because a character is strong in Japan doesn't mean we should have it too. The Japanese hate Metroid games, yet we get those because WE like them. And I don't know a lot of people who have an old TurboGraphx that go around sdaying "I love Bonk!!". He's a worthless addition.
Then stop posting in this thread. If he so worthless, he's not important enough to care and/or be a jerk about.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Pit 42, let me try to convince you by showing you the thread that fliptroopa already posted that you obviously ignored.

Look at this

Fliptroopa had some great,well thought-out reasons on why and how Bonk can and will be in this game. He even convinced some people that Bonk could be in over Bomberman, so look at that thread and all of your questions will be answered. Bonk deserves a spot in Brawl, popular in the West or not.

Pit 42

Smash Lord
Then stop posting in this thread. If he so worthless, he's not important enough to care and/or be a jerk about.
I'm just voicing my opinion. What's wrong with that?

And about the Hudson thread, yes, I see the point that a Hudson character could be in Brawl. Great. All I'm saying is that Bomberman would have a better chance than Bonk because he is more popular.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
SMB PORTAL said:
I am not sure you can say that this guy has the equal chance of getting in as Bomberman. Really, he is not as known.

If you went up to any random Nintendo fan and you asked them if they knew who Bomberman was, they would probably know who you are talking about.'

If you went up to any random Nintendo fan and you asked them if they knew who Bonk was, they would probably not know who they are.

I mean, I never actually heard or known about Bonk till I read this thread, he just seems to alien to be in Smash.

-SMB
This is an invalid arguement. Many gamers don't remember the Kid Icarus game but Pitt is still in Brawl. Besides what's wrong with a deformed, big-headed kid running around headbutting people. So what he dresses like him received fred flintstones hand-me-downs. He has a right to be in Brawl as much as anyone else for simply being one of the original mascots and he would make a good WTF third party character. Also if you combine the all the platforms he has been on, he has had more games than some of the current characters on the smash bros roster. That's true even if you only add up the games that were only on a Nintendo console.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
BIRDMAN22 said:
This is an invalid arguement. Many gamers don't remember the Kid Icarus game but Pitt is still in Brawl. .
Actually a LOT of people remember Kid Icarus. It was a very popular game.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Pit 42, I'm glad you're voicing your opinion, and it's a free world so post all you want, but you make a pretty crappy point using Metroid as an example. Samus still appears in the Smash Bros. games, and the Metroid games still get released in Japan, even the Prime series. Metroid games actually sell fairly well in Japan, just not as well as they did in the US. It's not like "oh, well, here's 0 copies sold over here and a million over here." It's more like "Oh, here's 1000 copies sold, and here's 2000 copies sold." It wasn't a huge difference, and Metroid games on the whole are still largely Japanese developed. The music in the Prime games is all Japanese, and Retro still has to run everything by Nintendo. The GBA Metroid games are all developed by Intelligent Systems, who does Fire Emblem and Paper Mario, and actually have more features in the Japanese versions than the US releases. So it's not a matter of Japan HATING Samus, because they don't. They just are more picky.

And once again, the logic of "no, they won't include Japan-only popular characters" falls flat on its ***. Marth and Roy are all you need to completely throw that out the window. And regardless, Bonk ISN'T Japan exclusive, only just more popular there. He's still recognizable to people over here, and the TurboGrafx still appeared in the US and Europe and still has a fanbase. Bonk may not be familiar to younger gamers or people who simply just didn't know about the TGFX (Like I said, I myself have only played it once when I was young, and only got to play Bonk and such on the SNES and emulation when I got older). But there's a lot of surprise characters we've seen in the Smash series as a whole, so the argument is still not entirely true. Earthbound was a pretty cult hit game in the US, despite raving popularity in Japan, and Nintendo still included Ness in both releases of SSB64. Jigglypuff, Marth, and Roy were all much more popular over there than over here, and still were included in both releases. And, vice versa, Westerners were more supportive of seeing characters like Samus and Pit.

I'm not trying to cram my super-secret agenda down your throats :psycho: Just trying to make a point to support my little theory on what we're probably going to end up with. Yeah, I really want Bonk in this game. But I also want characters like Mega Man and Marina. And when I thought about it, and what made sense to me and based on what was going on, I kinda sucked it up and realized, at least for myself, that a character like Bonk is much more likely.

Bomberman could work too, but he's not the "mascot." He's the one people connect with, sure, but Bonk is Hudson's mascot, and the title character for that console. Bonk's Adventure was featured alongside Sonic 1, Mario World, Super Mario Bros., and Mario 64 at E3 when they demoed the Virtual Console. Nintendo at least knows the little cavedude existed, y'know?

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
I knew that Bonk! was the unofficial mascot of the NEC PC Engine (Turbografx-16), but the actual mascot of Hudson as well? That's news to me - I always thought it was Bomberman. Was he featured at all in that Dreammix TV World Fighters game? I can't remember the entire roster...
FlipTroopa said:

Can you tell I was bored? XD
LOL!
I want Bonk! in SSBB now... but only after Bomberman.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Lord_Deathborne said:
I knew that Bonk! was the unofficial mascot of the NEC PC Engine (Turbografx-16), but the actual mascot of Hudson as well? That's news to me - I always thought it was Bomberman. Was he featured at all in that Dreammix TV World Fighters game? I can't remember the entire roster...LOL!
I want Bonk! in SSBB now... but only after Bomberman.
Hudson actually doesn't have a mascot, unless you wanna count the Hudson Bee or something. But they have, yes, been in talks about reelecting Bonk as the mascot. Bomberman's their most recognized character, but Bonk had the console.

And no, he wasn't in Dreammix, but eh. A lot of characters got shafted, like Goemon.

Top Bottom