• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mach Rider for SSBB *Updated Moveset*

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion

If there's a thread for Balloon Fighter, why not Mach Rider. Perhaps not one of Nintendo's most memorable franchise's (but then again, was Ice Climbers?) but it is certainly one with some of the most untapped potential. It's theme is very reminiscent of Mad Max. At the very least, I can see a character with similar mechanics to C. Falcon.

UPDATE: There was a recent thread for posting and rating character movesets. I put alot more thought into Mach Rider's possible moveset and this is what I came up with. I hope you like it.

Moveset for Mach Rider:

Mach Rider would bear a close resemblance to SSB64 C. Falcon (who's moveset was a little different from his SSBM incarnation) as far as standard combat (A attacks) is concerned. He also runs in the same manner as SSB64 C. Falcon, leaning far into his sprint, replacing C. Falcon as the game’s fastest runner (unless Sonic gets in also…).

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Smash > A: Ignition Kick – nearly identical to C. Falcon's Smash > A in SSB64, which is a powerful forward kick with explosive effect upon impact.

Smash ^ A: Buster Shaft – again, similar to SSB64 C. Falcon's Smash ^ A, which is essentially a spinning uppercut.

Smash v A: Axel Sweep – very similar to Knightmare's Axel Kick in Soul Calibur, where he bends his knee on his standing leg and performs a fast sweeping spin kick. Can perform twice in a row, albeit in the opposite direction, similar to in principal to SSMB Link’s Smash > A.

B: Gattling Pummel – steps back and draws back fist w/ glowing bright flash then, after a .5 second delay, delivers a flurry of 10 successive punches accompanied w/ the sound of machine gun fire, each delivering about 2% damage, with the final hit having an explosive effect and adding an additional 5%. Low - moderate knockback - is used more to rank up damage rather than smash away opponents.

> B: Turbo Charge – M. Rider lunges forward leaning into a shoulder ram followed by several after-images and the sound of a roaring motor engine. When he comes in contact with an opponent, it has a similar effect to being hit by the passing traffic in the SSBM Onett Stage, abliet not quite as powerful. Causes about 18% damage and has a high knockback factor.

^ B: Up in Smoke – True to the SSBM trophy description, M. Rider has the ability to dematerialize and rematerialize in another location, similar to Sheik’s smoke bomb or Mewtwo’s teleport. Like Sheik’s smoke bomb, can cause damage – 8% or so – if opponent is in direct contact with M. Rider during dematerialization phase.

v B: Piston Hammer – M. Rider turns to almost face the screen and raises his fist into the air, then after a 1.5 second punches straight into the ground accompanied by a glowing descending piston animation. It has similar force to a Falcon Punch, delivering about 28% damage with direct hit and sends opponent straight into the air. The higher the opponent’s percentage, the higher the altitude and can smash opponent away if percentage is high enough. Indirect hits result in half damage and have meager knockback force, similar to DK’s Ground Slam.

Brawl Move: Overdrive - M. Rider summons his motorcycle and rides around for about 30 seconds. Like Jigglypuff’s rollout, once in motion it automatically speeds in the direction its facing with considerable velocity, though player can turn it around by pressing the opposite direction and can make it jump ala Excitebike. It also requires good reflexes, as there is the risk of speeding off of the stage. The motorcycle automatically fires its machine guns from the front and rear missiles from the back but ceases firing during turns or jumps. It causes the greatest amount of damage when it actually collides into opponents, mowing right through them and ranking in tons of damage and even has the potential to smash. With good timing, it could be avoided, but there is still considerable risk of damage from weapon fire.

*NEW* Entrance: M. Rider rides his motorcycle in from the background ala C. Falcon in his Blue Falcon in SSB64 and dismounts with a sideway somersault while it's still going.

Taunt: Turns toward the screen a gives a cocky thumbs down, saying something like “End of the line.” (or maybe just being silent, I don’t know…).

Victory stance 1: M. Rider casually leans against bike, crossing arms his arms and nods his head.

Victory stance 2: Rides into the screen on bike, pulls the breaks and grinds it into a stop facing the screen, then looks toward the screen when stopped.

Victory stance 3: M. Rider sits on bike, which is stationary, revs up the engine and pops a wheelie.

Kirby Hat: M. Rider Helmet.

And to top it all off, here's a visual representation of my moveset, brought to you courtsey of the ever awesome FlipTroopa:

At any rate, please let me know what you think.

deathblazer

Smash Apprentice
Now this reminds me on why I didn't put Mach Rider in my list of characters I don't wan't to see in SSBB.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Not the best idea I know, but my point is like C. Falcon and Fox McCloud pre-SSB, this is a character that can be built from the ground up, and if you're familar with the Mach Rider trophy and theme song from SSBM, this guy's just begging for a spot in this upcoming edition.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
He was in just one game (two versions: Arcade and NES) so far. The game is wicked hard (which seemed to be the standard with most NES games back in the day). I am saying that this is a charcter with no real established background, so it's something the development team can really make use of their creativity - like C. Falcon and Fox back in SSB64.

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
Marshigio said:
I have viewed his trophy and I was mistaken, yea he looks cool and yea he looks like he could be implemented into this game. About Captain Flacon, I love to play as him and he used to be my fav but that doesn't mean he doesn't look homo. (Like Marth= awesome character but gay looking with tiara)
Can you please have a little more respect for the homosexuals, you seem to act like it is an inferior thing compared to yourself.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
Yes he really could be nice since I love C. Falcon. It would be nice to see another racing-fan in SSBB.

Edit: As long as he doesn't look to much like C. Falcon.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Ganon's horrible though... Falcon's style is based on speed - take that away and all you got left is a mess...
So what if his moves are more powerful - they take so long to execute that they can be easily dodged.
A similar argument can be made in regard to Falco rippin' off Fox...

REFUSEDx

Smash Apprentice
IMO I think he would be a CF clone thats slower but with less lag in some atttacks and maybe a projectile.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
I'm not too big on clones; they just seem to be lazy additions... Dr. Mario the prime example (virtually unchanged from his counterpart). I could see him with a very similar build, like SSBM Luigi to Mario.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Well, MetaKnight is definitely based on Kirby, but I doubt he's a full-fledged clone (atleast, I hope not...) In the same sense, I see Mach Rider based fairly heavily on C. Falcon - though with plenty of features to make him unique. Atleast, he should be to C. Falcon what SSBM Luigi is to Mario. If he is the new SSBM Ganon (which I hope isn't the case), he should be just a little faster and be a better jumper - more like Falco to Fox.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
If you're into old school NES ROMs, Mach Rider would be a good title to check out. I'd also suggest Clu Clu Land, Balloon Fight, and Star Tropics I & II among the lesser known Nintendo published NES titles.

Be warned, though: Mach Rider is bleeding hard! The furthest I've ever gotten was the first half of the second stage...

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
This actually makes me want Mach Rider in the game, and that's saying a LOT. I used to argue with my friends that he was a terrible idea, but now I've got nothing :laugh:

Deathborne, you've done us retro/obscure Nintendo fans a great service :) I say "Yay!" on Mach Rider

Link'sShadow

Smash Journeyman
One I like Ganon, he's like the most powerful character (and he should be). I think Mach Rider look more like Solid Snake in his Trophy :laugh: . I would like him to be in SSBB on foot or maybe on his Motorcycle.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
FlipTroopa said:
This actually makes me want Mach Rider in the game, and that's saying a LOT. I used to argue with my friends that he was a terrible idea, but now I've got nothing :laugh:

Deathborne, you've done us retro/obscure Nintendo fans a great service :) I say "Yay!" on Mach Rider
Thanks, FlipTroopa. I'm flattered... seriously. On a similar note, I used to think Balloon Fighter was a TERRIBLE idea, but after seeing someone's idea sketch on the Nsider Forums (yeah... I check it sometimes to see what has to be said on the "official" SSBB forum... Why Sakurai???), I'm almost convinced, though I'd like someone from SmashBoards come up with a moveset - there are already quite a few that have up with some that are just genius... Look at DiddyKong's Diddy/Dixie moveset for example... Also, I've been trying to come up with a moveset for Bubbles (Clu Clu Land), but haven't gotten anything more than a few B moves...

Link'sShadow said:
One I like Ganon, he's like the most powerful character (and he should be). I think Mach Rider look more like Solid Snake in his Trophy :laugh: . I would like him to be in SSBB on foot or maybe on his Motorcycle.
I mentioned that because Ganon is more than likely getting his own moveset this time around, though he's still going to be uber powerful - it's GANON afterall, but they may asign his SSBM moveset to a new character, since it was one of the more popular clone movesets, probably second only to Falco's. And if you look at my moveset on page 1, he's both on foot and on his motorcycle (though only during his BRAWL mode...)

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Bubbles, for some reason, I kept thinking was gonna be unlockable in Melee, because she was one of the first trophies we saw. I just imagined her having a pole she carried with her fight all the time, and she do kicks off it and stuff XD

Zodiak-Lucien

Smash Lord
inkslingerMasher said:
btw after seeing a pic from meta knight looks like his fsmash has the same animation as kirbys so i think there's a high chance of clones 0_o
IT could be he's dash attack, no one knows yet. I doubt his smash would be a kick.

parrothead

Smash Lord
NukeA6 said:
Balloon Kid (known as Balloon Fight GB in Japan) is better than Balloon Fight, because it has a storyline and a character with a personality and name: Alice.

Adding Balloon Fighter doesn't sound as good as adding Alice. Why? Read this example below:

Person: What is your name?
Balloon Fighter: I don't have a name.
Person: What is your occupation?
Balloon Fighter: I'm a Balloon Fighter.
Person: Then why is Sakurai looking forward to adding you instead of Alice from Balloon Kid (known as Balloon Fight GB in Japan)?
Balloon Fighter: Because Balloon Fight for the NES and Arcade are the ones that started it all, making it a classic. Also, I am more well known than Alice.
Person: Well, there is more than one Balloon Fighter: One with the blue helmet (which is you), and one with the red helmet (which is the other Balloon Fighter). Sakurai should add Alice, because she has a personality and a name, and Balloon Kid/Balloon Fight GB has a storyline. Balloon Fight doesn't have a storyline, and also, adding you would be like adding a police officer, a fire fighter, and another person with an occupation, but no name.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
If they added Captain Falcon, I guess they'd add this guy. But his moves wouldn't be gun based. If Snake won't have real-world guns, they won't give anyone else them.

Vanilla

Smash Apprentice
DokturSea said:
If they added Captain Falcon, I guess they'd add this guy. But his moves wouldn't be gun based. If Snake won't have real-world guns, they won't give anyone else them.
You know, he's very futuristic, so he could be like a combination of Fox/Falco and Captain Falcon. That'd actually be pretty cool.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
DokturSea said:
I don't have him using guns at all, unless you count my suggested BRAWL move. :laugh:
Check out the first page - I have my proposed moveset there (still finalizing it though...). I basically make him an all out brawler like C. Falcon.

Vanilla said:
You know, he's very futuristic, so he could be like a combination of Fox/Falco and Captain Falcon. That'd actually be pretty cool.
Yeah, I was thinking about throwing some Fox attributes into the mix. Not quite sure how to implement them though... For the most part, I have M. Rider based on C. Falcon's SSB64 build.

bbb

Smash Champion
Hmm, not too long ago I thought up a move list for Mach Rider, but most of his moves revolved around his being a motorcyclist, which makes more sense to me seeing as Mach Rider's mode of transpotation can actually be moved with him (as opposed to the Blue Falcon, which'd be ridicuolous), although it would still be cumbersome.

My ideas:

^Smash: He puts his bike wheel down so that the back wheel is in the air, and revs the engine, spinning the back wheel for multiple hits with one powerful one at the end (a la Mewtwo/Zelda)

>Smash: He revs the motor while charging and lets the motorcycle shoot forward violently and grabs the seat of it before it goes to far, and pulls it back to his side.

VSmash: Revs the engine and leads it around him for a low angled donut, of sorts

This way he isn't just a Falcon rip off but I'm lazy and didn't come up with any B moves but I might later, who knows.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Interesting idea, but that would make him WAY too fast - not to mention his motorcycle has a large build. I think this idea would work better for an Excitebike character (is there a new character thread on the way?). Also, I see him more as a TRIBUTE to the C. Falcon SSB64 build, which I liked a little better than the SSBM build, than a rip-off... And even so, he is only partially based on SSB64 C. Falcon - I only used the comparison to help visualise my concept - which I'm still finalising. I would appreciate any additional ideas though. Thanks for the input Plan 9.

bbb

Smash Champion
Lord_Deathborne said:
I think this idea would work better for an Excitebike character (is there a new character thread on the way?).
Actually, I did designed that for Exite Bike character and then thought it would really work on either, and they might end up as clones (god forbid).

Top Bottom