• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Olimar

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You know how all his moves kinda look the same when you're playing against him and stuff and it's really hard to tell what he's actually doing?

Yeah, I can't tell what he's doing even when I'm the one using him. lol

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
...the white and purple are the good ones. The white ones do tons of damage, and the purple ones make your attacks strong.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
The white ones are the best to throw. The purple ones are the best to smash. The rest are the best for aerials.

Is that accurate? That's how it's always seemed to me.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The white ones have good range and ridiculous damage, above average knockback, and are extremely weak.
The purple ones have terrible range but very good damage and very strong knockback, and are resilient enough to withstand a good number of attacks. They don't latch on if you toss them, but instead collide with the opponent.
The red ones are fire elemental, and cannot be damaged by fire type attacks. They have otherwise average damage, range, and knockback.
The yellow ones are lightning elemental, and cannot be damaged by lightning type attacks. They have otherwise average damage, range, and knockback.
The blue ones are relatively weak in damage and knockback, but they have great range. They are also the only Pikmin who will not immediately drown in water.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Olimar is really sick. His recovery sucks, but on the stage he is a beast. His grab game is amazing. It's almost impossibile to hit a good olimar with an aireal because they can run away and pivot grab :(. They have some grab combos at low % like Dthrow -->Fair or Dthrow --> running usmash. The blue and purple pikimin kill from throws (blue kills really fast from bthrow). On top of all this Oli can spam the **** out of you :/.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Correction: The white ones have very weak knockback. In most cases, having a white pikmin in your queue is bad, unless you're going to throw it or use it for throws (its not good for throws, but it isn't horrible). I can't begin to count the number of times that I've heard Olimar players swear because they would have killed their opponent if they didn't have the white pikmin.

I think that playing as Olimar takes quite a bit of patience if you're good. There is no reason for him to approach at all, and spaced grabs (especially the pivot grabs like Hylian mentioned) can wreck many players. Olimar definitely has an extremely strong camping game with his pikmin toss, his grabs, and his absurd range on just about everything. And although Olimar's recovery is horrible and he is light as hell, I don't really think that's much of a problem for him. Olimar is the type of character that KOs are ridiculously low percents and can rack up damage relatively quickly, so he kills and dies at low percents.

I also hear that campy Olimars are a good counter to Diddy and D3, although Marth and MK tear him a new one. Also, people on the boards are strangely adamant that Olimar has the advantage on Snake, but I think that is a complete lie.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Olimar's blue pikmin are ultra throwers. When I was messing aroudn with Oli, I would pull a bunch of pikmin and jump in the water to kill 'em all but the blue ones and then just spam throws. So many throw kills. o_o

The purple fatties suck though. Spiking with fire is where it is at.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
I wrote an olimar guide VERRRRRRRY early in the game's lifespan. it probably still applies today.

here it is.

How To Olimar

If on a stage with a platform:
Step 1: Pull max pikmin
Step 2: Stand under platform
Step 3: Wait
Step 4: Point the yellow stick at the bad guy when he approaches
Step 5: Repeat until dead

If on a stage with NO platforms

Step 1: Pull max pikmin
Step 2: Stand somewhere (doesn't really matter)
Step 3: Wait
Step 4a: Point the yellow stick at the bad guy when he approaches UNLESS he approaches from the angle above and in front of you, in which case move to step 4b
Step 4b: Up B the bad guy when he approaches
Step 5: Repeat until dead

Congratulations, you know how to olimar.
optional: grab occasionally and throw stuff occasionally

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
The hint for this week is an incredibly epic hunt that was made for all those conspiracy theorists out there. This hint actually took effort and time, which is a first for a hint, so if anybody gets it any time soon... I swear I'll ban 'em. Here is the hint itself:

This was a therapeutic chain of events...
Guess I’m not the fighting kind...
...Will we always say we tried?
And I’ve lost all doubt in a chemical romance...
We tried to wash our hands of all of this...
Doors inside my head, bolted from within...
Those are actually all lyrics to songs that Youko found for this hint, so he gets the credit for that. Once you find the artist for every song, and take the first letter of their name, it will come out to be this:
Youko said:
P(anic! At the Disco) – "This was a therapeutic chain of events"
K(eane) – "Guess I’m not the fighting kind"
L(ostprophets) – "Will we always say we tried?"
U(sed, The) – "And I’ve lost all doubt in a chemical romance"
V(erve Pipe, The) – "We tried to wash our hands of all of this"
A(udioslave) – "Doors inside my head, bolted from within"
PKluva is the first deliberately misleading hint. PK love is an attack that only Lucas/Claus have in Earthbound, but PKluva is actually a dummy account I set up today just for the hint. The dummy account has one single post: "I fight for my friends." This second misleading hint may seem like its referring to Ike, but its actually telling people to check out PKluva's friends list. PKluva's friends list has one single person: Overswarm. If you then click on Overswarm and read his wall, you'll see a profile visitor message from PKluva that reads, "This is the end of the line for you, buddy. I'll show you what oli oli oxen free really means." This final hint is pretty obviously Olimar, and it also confirms to people that its the last part of the hint, so they know its not a trap like the others.

I don't know why I decided to actually put effort into this one, but I've really outdone myself this time. Actually, I probably should have saved this for later >_>

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I still think my idea for the last hint will be the hardest of all. :)

Jump20X6

Smash Apprentice
Not that this is useful information, but Sonic seems to obliterate Olimar really bad. I always seem to do ridiculously well against him when I play as Sonic.

I played a match against someone a few weeks ago that exemplified this...
Round 1: Ike(me) vs. Ike, I two-stocked him at high percentage.
Round 2: Ike(me) vs. Olimar, he two-stocked me at middle percentage.
Round 3: Sonic(me) vs. Olimar, I three-stocked him without breaking 50%.

The match is recorded if anyone is interested in this totally worthless and anecdotal piece of information.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
My idea can't be posted here because then they'll know ;)

What is the match, jump? Link!

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I think if people end up getting stuck on Lucas for awhile, I may just add to the hint. Like add a picture of Admiral Ackbar or something.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
You should have the pklova account post "olimar" a couple of times in that thread, just in case someone gets the first part (which they won't)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
You should have the pklova account post "olimar" a couple of times in that thread, just in case someone gets the first part (which they won't)
Or have it post in the thread.

"Whoa, I just searched for my name and found it in this thread! How weird!"

...on Wednesday.

D

Deleted member

olimar is really stupid.

I mean REALLY stupid.

Why even put the character in if they can't think of more than 13 variations of the same attack?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Olimar, from what I've seen, does incredibly well against certain characters... and not against others. Olimar has some pretty decent stuff against everyone, but his ability to just destroy a few specific characters makes him one of those secondary characters that basically guarantees you will beat those characters should you see them in tournament.

Fleur de Lis

Smash Lord
Overswarm, a lot is two words. :)

if you want a challenge, try beating someone with olimar and never picking pikmin. you better hope those three pikmin you start out with get you a lot of KOs...

anyway, the electric pikmin have a different trajectory when you throw them. Also, I believe Purple pikmin have an awesome downthrow. I think. I know that the blue ones are top tier for throwing (especially back throw) but that was already said earlier.

Also, I could have sworn they all had different attributes on their smashes and aerials, i.e. variable knockback and damage. the white ones blow pretty hard...if one latches to you it's easy to get off, and it dies quickly.

and olimar's usmash is amazing.

lastly, I agree with the above post by OS^
As a general rule, Brawl appears to me to be far more counterpick-heavy than Melee. I personally think that as the metagame evolves, the best players will be using 4-5 mains, at a minimum.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Olimar is the classic example of: If you can outthink/predict your opponent then you will win.

Seriously. He's so simple it's all about the mindgames.

And he's underrated to boot.

But why? Because he's soooooooooooo boring to play.

He's even boring to talk about.

And his recovery isn't even that bad. Throw purple pikmin to get them off the ledge. Otherwise if you get ledgehogged either you're probably at a really high percentage anyway or you need to learn to DI better.

Man I was all excited to play Olimar because people are talking about him and then I thought about it for like five seconds and I don't want to play him anymore.

And he ***** DDD.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Wait, you can do a Melee M2K-style gimp to Olimar? Toooo goood.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I should stop confusing the people trying to figure out the hint lol.

It seems like they will never get it :/.

If anyone was interested for the answer to my riddle:

There is a small town of a few hundred inhabitants of which the following statements are surprisingly true:

Every man is a perfect logician and is aware that this is true of every other man in the town.
Every man in the town knows all about the behavior of every woman in the town, with the exception, if he is married, of his own wife. It is taboo for anyone to speak about a woman to her husband.
It is an immutable custom (abhorrent to us maybe, but as inevitable as night following day to them) that, when a man discovers that his wife has been unfaithful, he takes her out into the town square that same night, and on the stroke of midnight shoots her.
There are 40 unfaithful wives in town.

Now, life has been continuing its uneventful course for some time when, one fateful summer's day, June 1st actually, the Mayor summons all the townsmen to a meeting in the town hall. 'I am very sorry to have to tell you this,' he says, 'but there is an unfaithful wife in this town.' The meeting ends and the men disperse.

What, if anything, happens, and when?

Answer:
In order to understand what's going on in that poor little town, let's play a game with the men in that town. If you recall, they're all perfect logicians so this excercise should be trivial to them. Let's assume we invite 10 of the men in that town to play a game with us--we'll arange them in a circle so that they can each see every other man, then we place a black or white hat on their head so that they can see the hat on every head except their own. We tell them that when the town crier stands in the center of the circle and rings his bell, every man wearing a black hat must take a step forward. We also tell them that at least one man will be wearing a black hat. the town crier then proceeds to ring his bell once every 2 minutes (we have to give our perfect logicians at least a small amount of time to sort their thoughts...)

First let's take a look at the trivial case of only one man of the 10 wearing a black hat. When the town crier rings his bell, the perfect logician realizes that there must be at least one black hat and he doesn't see one on anyone else's head and concludes that his hat is black and takes a step forward. That was simple.

The case with two men wearing black hats gets a bit more confusing. Each of the two men wearing a black hat sees one other man wearing a black hat. The other eight men present see two men wearing hats. The first time the crier rings his bell, each of the two men wearing a black hat expects the other man to step forward based on the argument given in the previous paragraph. Of course, neither of the men steps forward because they are not sure that they have a black hat on. As soon as they realize that the other man must see a black hat somewhere in the crowd, and not seeing two themselves, they realize that they must be wearing the other black hat. When the crier rings his bell the second time, they both step forward. If you think that was confusing to read, just imagine how confused I was writing it.

When there are three men wearing black hats, they each see two others wearing black hats and expect them both to step forward the second time the crier rings his bell. Of course the other two don't, because they each see two other black hats, then after the second bell ringing, they realize there must be three men wearing black hats and because they only see two they conclude that they are wearing the third black hat.

What it boils down to is that each man expects some number of men to step forward equal to the number of black hats they see. If they see 0 black hats, they step forward themself. If they see 1 black hat they expect that man to step forward on the first bell ring. If he doesn't, they conclude that they, too, are wearing a black hat. If they see 2 black hats they expect both those men to step forward on the second bell ringing. If they don't, they conclude that they, too, must be wearing a black hat. This general line of reasoning goes on for as many logicians are wearing black hats.

Now let's see how this works for the unfaithful wives in our little town...

If there had been only one unfaithful wife in town when the mayor made his statement, each other man in town would have known about that one unfaithful wife while the poor man whose wife had been cheating would have been totally surprised to hear the news and taken his wife out that night to shoot her.

If there had been two unfaithful wives, each of the two husbands with the cheating wives would have known about the other's unfaithful wife and expected them to shoot her on that first night. When they woke up the next morning and saw the unfaithful wife going about her business in the town, they would have realized that there were two unfaithful wives in town, and not knowing of any other unfaithful wives would have concluded that theirs was also unfaithful and taken her out that night and shot her.

Again, this line of reasoning grows to fit the total number of unfaithful wives. The 40 men whose wives were unfaithful would have known about the other 39 and expected them to be shot on the 39th night. When they woke up on the morning after the 39th night only to find them going about their business in town, they would have realized that there must have been 40 unfaithful wives and knowing only of 39 would have concluded that theirs was also unfaithful and on the 40th night, taken her out to the town square and shot her along side the other 39 unfaithful wives.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
When and where was this riddle asked? I think I could have gotten it.

And what does this have to do with Olimar? If 5 Pikmin miss their target Olimar will wait five days then shoot them all?

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I should stop confusing the people trying to figure out the hint lol.

It seems like they will never get it :/.

If anyone was interested for the answer to my riddle:

There is a small town of a few hundred inhabitants of which the following statements are surprisingly true:

Every man is a perfect logician and is aware that this is true of every other man in the town.
Every man in the town knows all about the behavior of every woman in the town, with the exception, if he is married, of his own wife. It is taboo for anyone to speak about a woman to her husband.
It is an immutable custom (abhorrent to us maybe, but as inevitable as night following day to them) that, when a man discovers that his wife has been unfaithful, he takes her out into the town square that same night, and on the stroke of midnight shoots her.
There are 40 unfaithful wives in town.

Now, life has been continuing its uneventful course for some time when, one fateful summer's day, June 1st actually, the Mayor summons all the townsmen to a meeting in the town hall. 'I am very sorry to have to tell you this,' he says, 'but there is an unfaithful wife in this town.' The meeting ends and the men disperse.

What, if anything, happens, and when?

Answer:
In order to understand what's going on in that poor little town, let's play a game with the men in that town. If you recall, they're all perfect logicians so this excercise should be trivial to them. Let's assume we invite 10 of the men in that town to play a game with us--we'll arange them in a circle so that they can each see every other man, then we place a black or white hat on their head so that they can see the hat on every head except their own. We tell them that when the town crier stands in the center of the circle and rings his bell, every man wearing a black hat must take a step forward. We also tell them that at least one man will be wearing a black hat. the town crier then proceeds to ring his bell once every 2 minutes (we have to give our perfect logicians at least a small amount of time to sort their thoughts...)

First let's take a look at the trivial case of only one man of the 10 wearing a black hat. When the town crier rings his bell, the perfect logician realizes that there must be at least one black hat and he doesn't see one on anyone else's head and concludes that his hat is black and takes a step forward. That was simple.

The case with two men wearing black hats gets a bit more confusing. Each of the two men wearing a black hat sees one other man wearing a black hat. The other eight men present see two men wearing hats. The first time the crier rings his bell, each of the two men wearing a black hat expects the other man to step forward based on the argument given in the previous paragraph. Of course, neither of the men steps forward because they are not sure that they have a black hat on. As soon as they realize that the other man must see a black hat somewhere in the crowd, and not seeing two themselves, they realize that they must be wearing the other black hat. When the crier rings his bell the second time, they both step forward. If you think that was confusing to read, just imagine how confused I was writing it.

When there are three men wearing black hats, they each see two others wearing black hats and expect them both to step forward the second time the crier rings his bell. Of course the other two don't, because they each see two other black hats, then after the second bell ringing, they realize there must be three men wearing black hats and because they only see two they conclude that they are wearing the third black hat.

What it boils down to is that each man expects some number of men to step forward equal to the number of black hats they see. If they see 0 black hats, they step forward themself. If they see 1 black hat they expect that man to step forward on the first bell ring. If he doesn't, they conclude that they, too, are wearing a black hat. If they see 2 black hats they expect both those men to step forward on the second bell ringing. If they don't, they conclude that they, too, must be wearing a black hat. This general line of reasoning goes on for as many logicians are wearing black hats.

Now let's see how this works for the unfaithful wives in our little town...

If there had been only one unfaithful wife in town when the mayor made his statement, each other man in town would have known about that one unfaithful wife while the poor man whose wife had been cheating would have been totally surprised to hear the news and taken his wife out that night to shoot her.

If there had been two unfaithful wives, each of the two husbands with the cheating wives would have known about the other's unfaithful wife and expected them to shoot her on that first night. When they woke up the next morning and saw the unfaithful wife going about her business in the town, they would have realized that there were two unfaithful wives in town, and not knowing of any other unfaithful wives would have concluded that theirs was also unfaithful and taken her out that night and shot her.

Again, this line of reasoning grows to fit the total number of unfaithful wives. The 40 men whose wives were unfaithful would have known about the other 39 and expected them to be shot on the 39th night. When they woke up on the morning after the 39th night only to find them going about their business in town, they would have realized that there must have been 40 unfaithful wives and knowing only of 39 would have concluded that theirs was also unfaithful and on the 40th night, taken her out to the town square and shot her along side the other 39 unfaithful wives.
you, sir, are a god among men.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Wait. If each man knows about the behavior of all the women in the town (except for his wife), he:
--knows about 39 unfaithful wives in town, if his own wife is unfaithful
--knows about 40 unfaithful wives in town, if his wife is not.

When the men were told that there is an unfaithful wife, well, they had already known that.

I think the men would have shot their wives before the mayor's "news."

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Overswarm, a lot is two words. :)

if you want a challenge, try beating someone with olimar and never picking pikmin. you better hope those three pikmin you start out with get you a lot of KOs...

anyway, the electric pikmin have a different trajectory when you throw them. Also, I believe Purple pikmin have an awesome downthrow. I think. I know that the blue ones are top tier for throwing (especially back throw) but that was already said earlier.

Also, I could have sworn they all had different attributes on their smashes and aerials, i.e. variable knockback and damage. the white ones blow pretty hard...if one latches to you it's easy to get off, and it dies quickly.

and olimar's usmash is amazing.

lastly, I agree with the above post by OS^
As a general rule, Brawl appears to me to be far more counterpick-heavy than Melee. I personally think that as the metagame evolves, the best players will be using 4-5 mains, at a minimum.
I didn't make the image, I took it from Umbreon's thread XD

Overswarm

is laughing at you
One thing I think a lot of people are forgetting about Olimar is that he takes a lot of thought to play against.

Granted, he has a glaring weakness in that he has no grounded attacks that hit in a diagonal fashion on either side (meaning a blind spot unless he fairs), but the type of pikmin, amount of pikmin, and the general playstyle of the player can really change things. I've only played a few people that claim to "really" play Olimar that didn't suck with him, and it felt different the entire time. A few situations, such as edgeguarding, feels the same... but when Olimar is on the ground it's very scary whenever I try to confront him.

The fact that you're always surprised by hte knockback his attacks have because it always changes doesn't help either.

Two unique Olimar strategies I have seen, both of which generally failed:

Single pikmin strat

This strategy makes sense, and it is a lot of fun... get one pikmin, and abuse it. Use the extra large hitbox of the yellow, the grab range/strength of the blue's, etc. etc. and you can switch it up whenever you want by hitting over-b and then plucking a new one. This can be especially dangerous for your opponent when they are at higher percentages... I know I avoid grabs like the plague until a blue pikmin isn't up.

Invincibility strat

I played an Olimar that would jump, over-b a pikmin towards me, and then spam down+b. His attempt was to rack up damage this way, and if I attacked him he'd be fine due to super armor, and then would counter-attack with an aerial.

Neither of those worked incredibly well and are generally horrible ideas, but the mere fact they exist shows how elastic this character can be.

Fleur de Lis

Smash Lord
the upsmash, while not diagonal per se, definitely has hitboxes around the entire character. not only does it have a disjointed hitbox upwards, but well to the sides also. maybe half the range of fmashes? it's sort of like DK's dsmash in that it covers the entire character. nasty stuff.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Why'd you guys have to ruin this topic with real conversation?

Are these things still moved in full to the main room? You know we can delete posts...

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Also, DDD destroys Olimar with edgeguards. If he can stay close to Olimar, DDD can win. I still think it's a decent matchup for him, but man those edgeguards.

Top Bottom