• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Bowser

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
He seems underrated, but at the same time he's not THAT good. He's heavy, pretty strong, his up+B still does lots of damage and he has the suicide claw thing going for him. He's also kinda slow and predictable and I've yet to see someone do well with him. Definitely better than he was in Melee, but not quite up there.

Kel

Smash Master
Bowser has some of the best grab releases in the game.

Bowser doesn't die until a million damage.

Bowser has a one hit KO (Over B).

Flame breath can do around 40% to people that don't DI out right away.

Bowser is good. Watch videos of Kishsquared and Sliq to see.

Arash

Smash Lord
maybe i spent too much time w/ melee, but i much prefer melee bowser to brawl bowser. at least melee bowser could stand up to the rest of the cast (bar shiek). brawl bowser seriously cannot fight MK, snake, robot, diddy, falco, wolf, pit, squirtle, pikachu... the list goes on. unless there's some super-awesome bowser technique that i haven't seen yet, then no.

as far as the character goes, it feels at first like they buffed up his attacks, but it doesn't compensate for the fact that everyone lives forever in this game. suicide klaw is stupid vs. anyone who knows to DI against it, fortress feels laggier, L-cancelling is gone and so is his air game. please tell me why he should be any higher than low, i'm not seeing it

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
imo he's worse than his melee version.

klaw rarely kills now.
gimp kills are even rarer.
up-b a one hit kill? most of the stages have vertical kill zones that are too high for that - it's weaker too.
his cool edgeguards (which made him playable) in melee are all gone.
downsmash isn't as easily caught into and can be interrupted.
f-smash much weaker.

and whilst most characters have upgraded recoveries, his still sucks.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Bowser has some of the best grab releases in the game.

Bowser doesn't die until a million damage.

Bowser has a one hit KO (Over B).

Flame breath can do around 40% to people that don't DI out right away.
Looking at these list of reasons, it seems to me Bowser is only good when your opponent isn't experienced with him; I feel like he was like this in Melee - once you know what to do, the Bowser user can do very little. Over B can be DI'd really easily if you're always ready for it. FIre Breath can be easily smash DI's out of for very low percentage. His grab releases don't work because you can mash jump and the control stick rather than attack buttons, always breaking out of his grabs through the air. I tried seriously using Bowser and it was effective at first, but once people caught on to his tricks he became low tier again =/ I think he is slightly better than he used to be because Brawl's physics don't allow for anyone to combo and destroy him like Melee's physics allowed, so his weight and size aren't nearly as much of a detriment to him now as they used to be.

VilNess

Smash Champion
Sorry for off topic, but when breaking from grabs, is it the last button that is pressed that determines whether you slide away or jump away from grab?

Have no Brawl yet, can´t test :/

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Sorry for off topic, but when breaking from grabs, is it the last button that is pressed that determines whether you slide away or jump away from grab?

Have no Brawl yet, can´t test :/
Nope, it doesn't matter what your opponent is pressing. If you grab someone, and hit them with a grab attack as they break out then they will always break out on the ground. If you are not hitting them when they break out, they will almost always jumpbreak.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Holding up guarantees a jump break unless tehy are hit during breakout.

Also, Bowser can still capitalize off of a jump break.

Bowser isn't super amazing top tier material, but he's a candidate for high tier. Bowser is not easy to use, but once you can use him he has a lot of options. Whichever move he hasn't been using for damage is his kill move, and all of his tilts have great range and priority. His smashes, while slow, are powerful, large, and his f-smash still has evasive properties. A good Bowser player will be able to punish an opponent with his tilts on a frequent basis and be able to throw out a smash attack if he calls his opponent on something in the match.

His over-b shouldn't get any suicide kills unless the Bowser is a full fresh stock ahead, but it does do about 20% and can kill easily on stages like Battlefield due to the top platform sending them off the top earlier. Stages like Pipes also make his over-b an early kill move, since you almost inevitably land on the blocks or high up on the hill.

His out of shield options are great, though mostly eclipsed by his up+b since it generally his best option. His grab release options include chain grabs and grab release to f-tilt or d-tilt. When I play Bowser, I generally aim at getting my opponent to about 110% and then am able to kill him with a fresh tilt out of a grab release if their character is on the lighter side.

Bowser's u-air is probably his biggest game maker overall. It's not as easy to land as Bowser mains would like, but if you get hit into the air and Bowser calls an air dodge... you're dead as early as 60%.

His jab is pretty good too.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Holding up does NOT guarantee a jump break.

The only thing that guarantees a jump break is not breaking out during a pummel animation or being a character tall enough that your feet are touching the ground during the grab. I've done lots of testing on this; up, down, whatever, it doesn't affect whether you jump out or not.

Arash

Smash Lord
lol bowser's uair was never easy to land in melee, you'd basically have to predict 2 seconds in advance where they were gonna be

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Holding up does NOT guarantee a jump break.

The only thing that guarantees a jump break is not breaking out during a pummel animation or being a character tall enough that your feet are touching the ground during the grab. I've done lots of testing on this; up, down, whatever, it doesn't affect whether you jump out or not.
This, I have also done a lot of testing >_>.

Fleur de Lis

Smash Lord
I love bowser. I played him a lot in melee, and I play him a lot now. He's way, way better in Brawl. But he plays completely differently. (I think, btw, this is a problem facing a lot of melee players when evaluating how good characters are in the new game that were in melee)
anyway, I just over B constantly. I mean, non-stop. I bounce with it, I grab with it, and I suicide kill with it (if you're lower percent at the end...it's an instant KO. and it never takes it to sudden death with me. maybe this has to do with playing first player all the time? I don't know)

his back air is great for hitting people jumping up from the edge, and it kills really well. surprisingly, his down B is a lot better. if you use it right. you can get off surprise hits when you're above the screen, and it kills a lot better in this game (and goes way faster than in melee)

but seriously, over B. I will probably land it somewhere around 25 times in a match. if you're bouncing a lot with it, then you'll land hits that you didn't even mean to land. not to mention, on some characters, if they don't DI correctly, you can chain them together. fun.

he is, by no means, a top tier character. but he's at least mid-tier or higher. definitely not worse than bowser in melee.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm wondering why your opponent wouldn't just pelt you with projectiles if you were constantly DJ Klawing.

Fleur de Lis

Smash Lord
I auto-reflect projectiles.

besides, lots of things don't work against campers. that's why people camp, no? it doesn't mean the move is completely discredited.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
It's true though, Jeff probably lands the claw at least 10 times a match, if not more, and he only uses it to change things up.

Bowser shrugs off projectiles. He survives to over 150% almost every stock.

KishPrime

BRoomer
That's your freaking contribution? What the heck have I been sitting around here waiting for?

What a jerk.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
That forward tilt is crazy. It's gigantic. Remember how short it was in Melee?

KishSquared

Smash Master
It looks like I've kick started a serious discussion about the awesomeness of Bowser's jab and ftilt. Which are awesome, by the way.

Seriously, klaw into either of those will win you matches. Bowser remembers how to l-cancel, unlike most of these other scrubs.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Post via Sliq; I just asked him to do a writeup since he knows a lot about Bowser and let's me say "That was a SHELL of a good hit" whenever he lands a bair.

sliq said:
Bowser is a great character that many people over look for reasons unknown. He has almost everything you could want in a heavyweight. He doesn't die until high percents (being the heaviest in the game), can score low percent KO's with his extremely strong attacks (up air, back air, f smash) has the range to keep people at bay (f tilt, neutral b, fair, jabs), and also has quick moves to rack up damage and punish out of shield (up b out of shield, fair, jab, nair). Also, an odd attribute of Bowser is that his running speed isn't really that awful in comparison to other heavyweights, and can therefor move pretty quickly.

Bowser's up air is RIDICULOUSLY strong, able to kill Mario at 70% before the hit. Furthermore, it is relatively fast, so it is easier to land than most think (granted you can position yourself). Bowser's f smash is also ridiculously strong, dealing 34% uncharged and able to KO Pikachu at 70% before the hit. It has a wind up animation, as well, which can be used to dodge attacks and retaliate with ****.

Up b out of shield is an amazing out of shield option since it hits all around him, comes out on frame 4 (sic?) and has invulnerability, not to mention sending them vertically for a KO setup, and dealing decent damage (13% fresh, 16% if you land 2 hits).

Another bonus is that Bowser has grab release KO's against certain characters at lower percents, dependent on the character and if they jump break out. The best part about this is that Bowser can CG Metaknight regardless of whether or not he does a jump breakout, and Bowser can f tilt or d tilt MK after the breakout and KO at 100%.

Bowser's over b is another reason he is awesome. It does a lot of damage (19%), a lot of knockback, GOES THROUGH SHIELDS, and can be use to preform a suicide move which can give him a whole stock advantage. It can also be used to end a match with a victory for Bowser dependent on the port. With the ISJR glitch, Bowser can bounce around the stage, giving him a lot of mobility, and allows him to avoid being punished for whiffing the attack from the air, as you can bounce away harmlessly (even, if you don't bounce away, it has almost no lag anyways).

On the downside, Bowser is friggin' HUGE. He is the largest character in the game, and therefor is easy to hit. Furthermore, given his weight, he is easier to combo at low percents, and can take 60% easy from chain grabs (Kirby, Falco, Pikachu). Furthermore, he nearly gets infinitely chain grabbed by Dedede, and a CG throw by Falco at low percents means death, as Bowser will get spiked and not be able to recover, even with the meteor.

His moves have a lot of cool down time, and thus he is easy to punish if he should miss, and also has relatively abysmal approaching options. All he can do is get close enough to the opponent to space a moves out side of his opponents range and hope to connect one. If Bowser gets too close, he gets punished. Bowser isn't a character with which one can just throw out moves like they're beads at Mardi Gras (Metaknight and GW players, I'm looking at you T_T), otherwise you're going to get wrecked.

Bowser is almost all about knowing what you're opponent is going to do, as he can punish like no other. When you aren't reading your opponent, you are spacing f tilts, fairs, and neutral b and hoping to get your opponent into the air or off the ledge to land a KO.

I could go into a lot more detail, but this is already pretty wordy as is, and all the other character ones end about here anyways.

KishPrime

BRoomer
Thanks to Sliq for making up for Jeff's epic failure posts.

I feel like we've finally accomplished something here.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
That invulnerability on his Up+B is what keeps him from getting ftilt-locked by Sheik. : (

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Sliq should be in the back room. He'd spice things up.

I have tried to play Bowser, and I can tell he has potential but I love Ganon too much to focus on another fat *******.

And his uair is amazing for punishing early air dodges. Just jump at someone so that you'll peak whenever they airdodge, then fast fall and uair to hit them. It's a lot like Ike's.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
With the exception of Ganon and Ike, it seems like the heavy characters are doing pretty well in the game. They all have the potential to go pretty far, surprisingly enough. Being a fan of the heavies in both Melee and 64, this was definitely a pleasant surprise for me :D

Also, in the pools I played at Smash and Coffee 2, the only person I lost to was Sliq. I still blame that on me doing an up smash instead of an up tilt (and also on the fact we played on FD 3 times 'cause it was funny), but he legitimately beat me and he is a superb Bowser player.

Actually, I take that back. His Bowser is really great in singles, but not so great in doubles (but his Ganon is downright terrifying in doubles).

KishSquared

Smash Master
Jeff finally contributes. Stupid Tim.

Furthermore, he nearly gets infinitely chain grabbed by Dedede, and a CG throw by Falco at low percents means death, as Bowser will get spiked and not be able to recover, even with the meteor.
DDD is true, but he can actually easily survive Falco's CG-spike combo. If you're at a low enough % to get CG'ed, just let him spike you once over the edge. You can immediately jump and up-B, usually catching Falco in the process and dealing a fair amount of damage. Still, this is 50-60% of free damage on Bowser, which isn't cool.

Also, Sliq didn't really bring up flame, which is awesome against some characters. It can position Bowser and even be used to approach. A technique I use a lot is to bait people into jumping at me. Hit them away, charge at them, then jump slightly backwards and blow fire. Sometimes this can cause massive damage, especially if used near the edge so they can't just DI away without throwing themselves off the ledge. It can also be used for edgeguarding - it can seriously gimp some people's recoveries if they don't react in time to the fact that it was canceled by the fire.

Finally, the Bowser Sit. Very few people understand how ridiculously good this move is, especially when used from the ground. This is the #1 thing I'm working at right now, because it's a free kill if you can land it. And now that the hopping animation actually pops people up into the sit path, it's no harder to land than any other blockable move (and in some cases easier).

The move comes out FAST. It can be used to edge-guard (not joking here, try using it when someone's about to hop up from the ledge), and it can still be used to mindgame people when you're in the air by cutting your downward momentum as they jump up to attack you from below, then you sit on their head. Sometimes if the opponent blocks the initial hop, they instinctively try to shield-drop into an attack or grab, but Bowser isn't there no more - he's about to sit on your head, my friend. Finally, you can use it to grab the ledge, which was its primary use in Melee.

The downside to the Bowser Sit is that sometimes people aren't popped directly into the path of the sit, though I'm beginning to suspect that this has more to do with stale moves than DI. There are also some characters that can air-dodge the sit after getting popped up, but so far I've only seen this consistently with Iggy's Capt. Falcon. More exploration needs to be done on this move. And, of course, Bowser is extremely vulnerable after using it. However, since Bowser is the heaviest and hardest character to kill in the game, you can sometimes abuse this move because they can't do too much to you anyway.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Depends on the Bowser. Sliq placed 5th at the last one behind Anther, Kirk Q, Bloodhawk, and myself; Pika, ROB, Lucario, ROB, respectively. He tied for 5th with Kel, a Marth/MK.

So...

Synopsis:

Bowser is a character of extremes. He basically runs hot and cold. His advantages, such as his heavy weight, excellent out of shield options, grab release options, and his multitude of KO moves, are all very prominent. Unfortunately, his weaknesses, his large size (making him easy to combo and hit), laggy attacks, lack of options in many circumstances, and poor vertical recovery are just as obvious.

Bowser will never be the powerhouse that a player can simply pick up and destroy the opposition with, but if a player dedicates himself to this character and gets around his weaknesses it is highly likely that they can make significant marks on the tournament scene. The fact that Bowser has so many obvious weaknesses may actually be a boon to him; there are few serious Bowser mains in existence, so if you happen to run up against one you are unlikely to have experience fighting them... while they will almost certainly have experience fighting your character.

Sliq

Smash Master
Bowser's down b is good if you read a roll, since you can basically do the move or pivot it, and hit people with the up part as they come out of the invulnerability.

Top Bottom