• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chicago Smash Club

Clevr

Smash Apprentice
Hello.

My friends and I are High School students living in Chicago, trying to make a name for ourselves and become "competitive" brawl players.

Because online play can wreck one's game, we were hoping to find other in the Chicago area to join us in a form of a Chicago Smash Club. We are trying to find more Brawl players, but if you play melee, we're up to that too. After all, it was where we all started.

I know there is a lot of Smash activity in Springfield, Illinois, and in Ann Arbor, Michigan, but both of those areas are a bit too far for us. We are willing to drive out, but preferablly nowhere much more than one hour away from down town chicago.

If you'd like to contact me (Henry), you can send me a PM or IM me at "Wtf Earths".

Before any arrangement to meet has been made, I will request to speak to the person on the phone and talk to them a bit (for security reasons). A short BIO of your name, age, location, skill level, and any other information will also be required. But, my friends and I feel confident that all players on SWF are NOT homicidal maniacs, pedophiles, rapists, or anything of that nature, but in the world we live in today, such precautions are necessary. We can assure you that we are not.

On that note, my friends and I would like to thank anyone for getting in contact with us. We are all sick of playing each other! Hopefully, this will lead to a friendly Smash community in Chicago, and to future tournaments, and practice sessions.

Thanks for reading, and be sure to contact me if you're interested.

-Henry

khepri

Smash Lord
Where are you at? I live in Hyde Park (approx. 51st street near the lake) and play as often as I can. I don't mind playing either game, but I'm much more inclined to play melee. My work schedule changes weekly so I can't have any set smashfests or attend any too consistently but if you're up for playing this week or next then send me a pm and let's set something up.

Byronman

Smash Journeyman
Ya I will join this. I live out in oak brook so it shouldn't be too much of a drive.

I prefer brawl myself.

Clevr

Smash Apprentice
If you want to get in on this, please PM me with:

1. Contact information (if any) besides PM's.
2. Name.
3. Age.
4. Location in Illinois, and how far you're willing to travel.
5. Your schedule for this summer. When you're free, when you're busy, etc.
6. What you want to get out of this club.
7. Skill level, game preference, and characters you main // are working on.

This club is still in a very early stage, and things are still getting sorted out. Right now, the closest contact to my friends and I is the member khepri. I think that him, I, one of my friends, and anyone else who is very close to our location will meet somewhere (being decided), discuss how this is going to work including how casual it will be, when it will meet, where it will be, what will be needed when it happens to make sure that everyone is comfortable, safe, and enjoying themselves as we play and discuss Melee and Brawl.

Once you PM me the above information, I'll add you to a list of Chicago contacts, and after we figure out how this will work, I'll PM you all with detailed information.

Keep in touch,

-Clever

cykofox

Smash Ace
1. Cell#: 708-369-0558, email: btorre2{at}uic.edu
2. Brian Torres
3. 18
4. Burbank, IL(southside chicago) can drive anywere chicago just not to far north
5. I can do it on days im not working. I usually work from 4:00-10:30 4 days a week. I take Wednesdays off to go to Zjinn's melee smashfest.
6. Also become good at brawl aside from Melee.
7. Beginner, prefer Melee, but like Brawl also. I use Fox/Luigi/Marth in Melee, I use Marth, DDD, Sheik in Brawl

khepri

Smash Lord
As soon as I know my next work schedule I can offer some dates as to when we could meet. I wouldn't mind holding the first meet at my place since I've got a pretty decent living room, the only problem is we kind of don't have anything to sit on except the carpeted floor.

Me14k

Smash Lord
Moar Melee!
second.

Im thinking of bringing melee to cyber arena in gurnee. I doubht it tho.

Clevr: find an internet cafe by you, host a melee tourney there. As long as it is in a public venue, nothing can go wrong and harm you..plus you can make some extra money :-)

Clevr

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for not responding in three days, guys. Was busy this weekend, and was attended Lollapalooza (Radiohead, Grizzly Bear, Spank Rock, Broken Social Scene, Wilco, and Girl Talk were all incredible).

Khepri, I should be down in Hyde Park tomorrow. I think I'll call you when I have some free time down there and we can talk a bit about how we want this to work in more detail. I, personally, now have a lot more free time, and would be open to hanging out and "Smashing" with any of you in the upcoming weeks. However, it seems as if Sunday is the preferred day for everyone.

Should we plan to meet in one week? Should we meet sooner? Later? Khepri, you and I can talk about it tomorrow, but it'd be great to hear input from all of you as well. It seemed as if everyone who PM'ed me could meet over the weekends (Sunday, specifically, except for "Mr. Automatic." Perhaps he could adjust his schedule?

Thanks, and please continue posting here.

iao

Smash Rookie
I'd be down, I guess. I live in south suburbs. If it isn't too far I'll drive up there.

khepri

Smash Lord
Anyone up for this coming Sunday August 10th?

My address is:
5140 S. Hyde Park Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60615

It's a high rise so you need to know my details before you come. Send me a pm for my number if you're coming. I'll also give it to Clevr to send it out to anyone who sent him info.

Clevr

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys.

Again, sorry for being so "out of it." Had a lot of work to do recently, and never got the chance to call Khepri or let you all know what's going on.

Here's what's up:

The generous Khepri just offered to let us use the basement in his appartment for the first meeting of this club. It seems that this Sunday will work best for the majority of people interested, so we've decided to plan it then. I will send a PM to all users who have had an actual interest in joining, including all members who have contacted me, the location of Khepri's appartment (also located above), and Khepri's phone number (required to enter the building).

This is coming up, so a quick response telling me whether or not you're coming would be greatly appreciated.

If you have any more questions, you can PM me or Khepri, but as it stands now, we are planning to play this Sunday, August 10th.

khepri

Smash Lord
Also, let's make it from 3pm up to about 10 pm. We can make it earlier as well, I really don't think too many smashers like to head out early though.

Squipy

Smash Cadet
I'd join this. I live in Libertyville and I'll take the train up there every weekend or so to Brawl.

Also, I went to Lolla too. It was the ****.

khepri

Smash Lord
bah. I got work at 4pm on sunday. I was hoping earlier so i could put some matches in.
Come by early if you want to smash. Clever said he might want to swing by early too so it should be fine. 3 was just because a lot of people prefer playing later in the day.

Same goes for others.

cykofox

Smash Ace
Oh no sorry. I checked my work schedule for Sunday and this is perfect. I get off at 6 so Ill head there straight from work.

Clevr

Smash Apprentice
Alright...

The first meeting is happening TOMORROW around 3:00 to around 10:00.

The address of Khepri's apartment was posted earlier, and is:

5140 S. Hyde Park Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60615

If you are planning on going, please contact ME or KHEPRI via PM or PHONE.

So far, those who have contacted me saying that they can come are:

• Myself (Bringing Wii and Brawl)
• Khepri (Has Wii, Brawl, two TV's)
• Mr. Automatic [Will be there around 5:00]
• CykoFox [Will be there around 6:00] (Bringing TV)
• Akashi (Brining Wii, and Brawl)

Crazn, and Ike is Solid cannot make it this week. Byronman hasn't reponded to my message yet.

IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON COMING, YOU MUST CONTACT ONE OF US TO GAIN ACCESS INTO KHEPRI'S BUILDING. THE DOORMAN REQUIRES YOU TO HAVE KHEPRI'S PHONE NUMBER. IF YOU SHOW UP WITHOUT LETTING US KNOW, YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE THIS PHONE NUMBER, AND YOU WILL BE OUT OF LUCK.

We plan to take a break for "dinner." There are a lot of good restaurants and food joints around Hyde Park, and once everyone arrives and starts to get hungry, we'll decide whether we want to order something in, or walk over to a place near by. This means, that you will have to bring some extra money with you. I can't afford to pay for all of you, :p. However, if somebody forgets to bring money (ACTUALLY FORGETS), I can pay for them provided I'm paid back at the next meeting.

Thanks a lot, if you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

-Henry

cykofox

Smash Ace
Yes. It is a brawl smash club. And I'll bring the TV plus a gamecube and Melee just in case anyone wants to play. But I look foward on working more on my Brawl game this meeting.

Top Bottom