• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Florida Neutral/Counterpicks (updated)

AfroQT

Smash Master
Neutrals:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville

Counterpicks:

Pokemon Stadium 1
Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Pirate Ship
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Brinstar
Luigi's Mansion
Pokemon Stadium 2
Norfair

Banned:

Rainbow Cruise
Pipes (Yoshi's Island - Melee)
Distant Planet
Pictochat
Onett
Green Greens
Corneria
Green Hill Zone
Jungle Japes
Bridge of Eldin
Big Blue
Mario Circuit
Shadow Moses Island
Port Town
Skyworld
Mushroomy Kingdom
Rumble Falls
New Pork City
Summit
75M
Mario Bros. Old
Flat Zone 2
Hanenbow
Hyrule Temple
WarioWare
Spear Pillar

These stages should be used for all future tourneys (atleast in florida).
Post any disagreements.

Finch

Smash Lord
The only thing I know is rainbow cruise is much more deserving of being a counterpick than frigate orpheon.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
Lylat is the gayest stage.

It will ALWAYS be a counterpick if I am running the tournament.

Lylat is not neutral at all.

F*** Lylat. :)

Finch

Smash Lord
What made you change your mind about rainbow cruise?

And yeah I think we should replace poke stadium 1 with lylat as a cp. Or just make lylat a cp but it's just too discriminating to be neutral. People compare it to melee yoshi's story but at least on that stage the middle platform was raised up so you could actually do an aerial on the bottom of the stage and not land on the platform. IMO lylat is just as much a cp as orpheon.

The rest of the sages we've been using for gigs are fine. I think mansion should be it's just brawl's mute city - always ban it against olimar.

Gmoney

Smash Ace
Jacksonville, FL (UNF) Location: Tavares, FL
I still disagree with the whole Lylat thing... I really think it should be a neutral. If you take the tilting into consideration when you're recovering then you shouldn't be sui-dying to it (at least often anyways). Besides, everyone will admit that grabbing the ledge is ridiculously easy in brawl, so stop QQing when the stage makes it a tad bit harder. For Lylat, it all comes down to whether or not it's neutral enough. People can hate it, but you can't deny that it's neutral. Lylat is the new battlefield... :027:

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Someone post what gigs stages were i dont remember lol.
Neutrals:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Smashville

Counterpicks:

Pokemon Stadium 1
Luigi's Mansion
Lylat cruise
Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Pirate Ship
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar

I believe that is what gigabits uses

Hai Im Fearless

Smash Lord
rainbrow cruise should be banned.

it breaks MK's and kirby's up throw
it has walk off ledges
it has infinite walls
tether recovery characters might as well l r a st and counterpick as soon as the match starts

Gmoney

Smash Ace
Jacksonville, FL (UNF) Location: Tavares, FL
painbow cruise should be a counterpick

LOL? (it "breaks" a recovery... okay)
there are no walk-offs
walls aren't there for the entire stage and this is no different from many of the other stages that have walls occasionally (Gmoney stadium, frigate, etc.)
it sucks, but it's not completely unwinnable; you did get one ban... use it or just pick up another character

We should be catering to a majority of the cast and not just the three characters that have tethers. QQ

Anyways, here's the stage list from the last Gigs (6/21)... Lylat was a neutral.

Neutrals:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville

Counterpicks:

Pokemon Stadium 1
Luigi's Mansion
Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Pirate Ship
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar

Galeon

Smash Ace
I agree with Gmoney that Lylat should probably be a neutral. Seems more neutral to me than Yoshi's Island honestly.

Pirate Ship needs to go though.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
i think gmoney/painbow cruise should be banned. I've just never been a fan of a constantly moving stage being used in a tourney match for a fighting game. If i had played melee competitively, i would've yammered for that stage to be banned back then too.

pirate ship is a legal counterpick? lol thats terrible. yea, that needs to go too

luigi's mansion im very iffy about because i didnt know it diminished your attacks until recently if you broke down the house. I'd say id lean more towards banning than leaving it a CP

lylat is probably the closest thing to neutral you're gonna get besides the 4 established ones (FD, BF, SV, YI). Leaving lylat a neutral isnt TOO bad, but i wont deny that its gay sometimes

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
personally I don't see a large enough reason to ban pictochat...the stage harzards don't kill until high %. The only thing that seems totally annoying is the ability to stall a match because you're inside an object...other than that meh...but whatever I was just joking around anyway...it's banned regaurdless

Masky

Smash Master
why do people always call the building in Luigi's Mansion a house? it is obviously a mansion

but yeah, the only real questions are
if lylat should be neutral or a counterpick
if Luigi's Mansion, Halberd, Rainbow Cruise and Castle Siege should be banned or not (pirate ship should be definitely)

chckn

Smash Ace
so recaping..... Nuetrals: FD, BF, Yoshis,Smashville.
CP: PS1, delfino

up for debate: Lylat, Halberd, Castle Siege, Luigis, pictochat, Cruise, Pirate Ship

Equi

Smash Ace
I can't believe Rainbow Cruise hasn't been banned yet. Am I insane? Like, I seriously just don't get it. I don't mean to sound like a prick, but are you people nuts?

If Rainbow Cruise is an acceptable counterpick, then please allow every stage in the game to be a counterpick. There are soooo many more deserving stages than Rainbow Cruise.

chckn

Smash Ace
I can't believe Rainbow Cruise hasn't been banned yet. Am I insane? Like, I seriously just don't get it. I don't mean to sound like a prick, but are you people nuts?

If Rainbow Cruise is an acceptable counterpick, then please allow every stage in the game to be a counterpick. There are soooo many more deserving stages than Rainbow Cruise.
Agreed.

10char

nevershootme

Smash Master

New pork city!!!

HRNUT (Honey Roasted)

Smash Master

i'm nuts...wait, i'm hrnut, lol...but seriously we need to ban rainbow cruise that stage should've never been allowed, ever in any tournament. we might as well put jungle japes and the side scrolling mario stage, oh and new port city where the chimera kills everyone at 0% that'd balance the playing field out alot

Galeon

Smash Ace
I really don't see a problem with Rainbow Cruise. It requires people to move, that's pretty much the part about it that makes it counterpick.

Gingerr

Smash Lord
Normally I would say it doesn't even matter because everyone ****ing hates that stage and therefore, doesn't pick it, but at Last Stand people seemed to have been getting ***** by it :/

Ruuku

Smash Lord
Neutrals:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Smashville
Lylat cruise

Counterpicks:

Pokemon Stadium 1
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
Rainbow Cruise isn't a viable stage anymore due to the change in falling blocks. You can't go upwards through them, so everybody except ROB and Pit get wrecked when they get caught under falling blocks.

Otherwise, the stage isn't too bad. I mean, it DOES get in the way of play a little, but you can slow the movement of the stage by staying in the same place. You can't quite STOP it, but you can delay the movement. Maybe it's just because I like the stage, but I don't think it's that bad.

But due to falling blocks: it should be banned.

Otherwise, I don't think Lylat is that bad. It's basically Battlefield edges from Melee only with a little movement. %I guess Fox/Falco/Wolf make that stage tough with their smash taunts%

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Counterpicks:
Corneria(Doubles)
Delfino Plaza
Luigi's Mansion
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Castle Siege(Doubles)
Pictochat
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
Pokémon Stadium 1

this is a list of counterpicks I came up with(I'm leaving off neutrals due to the fact that everyone basically agrees on them...with the except of Lylat)

Corneria:the only reason I see it being banned is for Jab/Laser Locks and CGs however, in doubles neither of those seem to be that large an issue due to the fact that there are two people...if D3 has you in a wall infinite your team mate can run over and knock D3 around and save your life.I don't believe this level is that bad for doubles...Singles however ban the **** out of it

Delfino: I don't think there are very many arguments about this level

Luigi's Mansion: I'm not a big fan of this level but there really isn't anything that bad...it offers advantages to certain characters(Lucario living forever+aura) and hinders other characters(I believe certain projectile attacks don't work well on this level) and unless I'm mistaken that's what a counterpick is

Frigate Orpheon: Not much debate here I'll skip it

Halberd: occasional stage hazards but all of which easily avoided

Castle Siege: I'm kinda iffy on this level 2/3 of the transitions are not that bad but that middle one...it has walk offs which D3 can walk the majority of the cast off the side...however I believe it's a large enough area that whoever is afraid of getting grab and killed can stall for that portion of the map...all that is left is the screen in between each change which is also walk off...with no platforms to hide on. I think this level should be banned for singles and counterpick for doubles

Pictochat: I'll admit I really only have this in my counterpick list because it's my favorite level but it's really not all that bad...The hazards don't kill until high%s (I've lived to 200 after being hit with one of the bullets) and the stalling(being in the center of the map when the whale or box tower appears) is only temporary and some attacks can go through and hit them (depending on where they are). If this level does get banned I can understand...it's pretty lame to get knocked out of a tournament because of something stupid falling on your head.

Rainbow Cruise: I had this on my counterpick list for a while but now that I look at it...I could go either way...I really don't have a ton of experience on this level so I don't have much to say

Brinstar: occasional lava but other than that this level is fine

Pokémon Stadium Uno: it has some ledge problems and the windmill is pretty stupid but that isn't enough to get it banned
---

That's pretty much all I got...

Galeon

Smash Ace
Rainbow Cruise isn't a viable stage anymore due to the change in falling blocks. You can't go upwards through them, so everybody except ROB and Pit get wrecked when they get caught under falling blocks.

Otherwise, the stage isn't too bad. I mean, it DOES get in the way of play a little, but you can slow the movement of the stage by staying in the same place. You can't quite STOP it, but you can delay the movement. Maybe it's just because I like the stage, but I don't think it's that bad.

But due to falling blocks: it should be banned.

Otherwise, I don't think Lylat is that bad. It's basically Battlefield edges from Melee only with a little movement. %I guess Fox/Falco/Wolf make that stage tough with their smash taunts%
I'm 99.9% sure that the blocks have always fallen and people have always been able to get stuck under there although I'll admit the little macaroni respawn faster in Brawl. I don't have my wii on right now but I could see it being banned if you could grab someone over the blocks and its an instant stock (both fall with the grab and macaroni fill in before you can escape).

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
I'm 99.9% sure that the blocks have always fallen and people have always been able to get stuck under there although I'll admit the little macaroni respawn faster in Brawl. I don't have my wii on right now but I could see it being banned if you could grab someone over the blocks and its an instant stock (both fall with the grab and macaroni fill in before you can escape).
You could go upwards through the blocks in Melee; not in Brawl. I guess I'm trying to counter the "but it was a counterpick in Melee" argument before it happens.

Top Bottom