• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong on Get Better Fast (Move degeneration for all attacks added!)

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Just letting everyone know, MLG runs a part of their site called "Get Better Fast".

I work on the articles for the Smash section, and since I love Diddy Kong, I did him first. Its not complete (viL]deo and pictures will be added eventually, were talking plea half year project here. Anyways, the Diddy Kong part of the guide is about done (minus photos/videos). Here is the link:
MLG's Get Better Fast: Diddy Kong[/UR

• NEW!: [URL="http://www.mlgpro.com/getbetterfast/smashbrawl/lessonfinder/characters/diddykong/Attack_Chart"]Move Degeneration Chart

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Just easiest way to say "Jab" that is standardized across the whole site. "neutral" tilt. Most say neutral A, some say Jab (bu that doesn't work for all characters), so N-Tilt is the easiest/least amount of characters needed to say the same thing and it works for every character.

Solid Cake

Smash Cadet
Good read.
Didn't think that MLG had anything to do with Brawl, or anything to do with Nintendo for that matter.
I enjoyed it a lot keep up the good work Alpha.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Good read.
Didn't think that MLG had anything to do with Brawl, or anything to do with Nintendo for that matter.
I enjoyed it a lot keep up the good work Alpha.
lol, well MLG ran a season of SSBM in 06' and dropped it in 07' deciding instead to sponsor 4 major tournaments (AZ did a really good review of 2007 in another thread in tournament discussion I think?).

@AlphaZealot:

Darn good read dude. Especially your opinion on banana grouping. I'm really looking forward to the other sections you have planned.

I hope you don't mind, I added your article to my thread:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=179708

Seeing as it's a good resource for any Diddy player :)

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I was gonna do a separate small article just called "Snap Canceling", but shrug, I guess its better if everything was in one spot.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Good read, nice work.

*Eagerly waiting for the match up and character specific sections*

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Not sure either way.

And, for the match up stuff I'm thinking of just covering about 5-8 character that are mostly the difficult match ups. Or covering stuff like "how to get around reflectors", not sure yet.

As for "character specific" sections, that is basically a reference to any character specific articles that will be added to each characters guide (say, missile canceling or rocket barrel canceling).

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
EEP! Looks like the stutter stepping article got cut off!

The other stutter step is something I don't see posted much either, I will try and get it fixed.

Player-1

Smash Legend
"If you perform a Diddy hump and successfully grab onto the opponents head, you will not be able to use your Up-B until you have landed. It is important to save your second jump when attempting to Diddy hump spike an opponent. "

This was from the recovering with Diddy part. This isn't completely true, if you "jump" off their head rather than attack them, you can use your Up-B, but if you do the attack diddy hump then you won't be able to use this, I think you should fix this.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I agree/actually didn't know that lol. I use to always press A, and ran into the not being able to up-B problem. It was only about 3 weeks ago that I started using the jump method, and I just assumed the same held true. Thanks for the correction!

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Ight, I've emailed the editor with the correction, they have already fixed the two types of stutter stepping article to include the second type (which some or you may/may not know/use). The second stutter step is pretty situational, but I've been messing with it and it looks cool as hell at the very least.

http://www.mlgpro.com/?q=node/223965

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
A very inspirational and helpful thread, especially for the new players. Keep up the good work :)

Just out of curiosity, are you the one constantly updating that part of the site or do you always have to go through an mlg editor?

- advent lee -

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Through an editor...or two actually, lol.

There both good guys though, things just get very hectic around event time (Orlando is this weekend).

5 more articles also went up today. In one of them, the note you mentioned player 1 about the hump is in there (as in, there is a mistake). I'll send another note to the editor to try and get it fixed.

Count

Smash Champion
Especially enjoyed the stutter step article since I've never really known how to do that..only have seen it in vids. Thanks a bunch AZ, these articles are helping me get better for sure!

/edit AZ, your air approach article was never put up, it is the dash article again..just a heads up.

AmishTycoon

Smash Cadet
Hello,

Great information and a great read. I checked the get better section a few weeks ago and hardly anything was written. Glad to see it getting completed.

Sorry about the rookie question but :

By briefly smashing forward on the control stick before performing an S-Smash (though the timing is near simultaneous), Diddy will stutter, and then perform the attack.
What is an S-Smash? :S

Take Care,

AmishTycoon

Player-1

Smash Legend
I don't see why Yoshi's Island is Postitve, theres a giant platform in the middle that tilts back and forth = bad banana game. I'd put it on the same level with battlefield

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Camp opposite the tilt. Makes it hard as heck for the opponent to get at you too because of the awkward angle/you can get naners out just fine (though once you move the opponent across the stage they will likely bounce off them and land on the platform). Its a general guide, I agree that its mostly iffy, but I for starter stages its very common to see that stage and I would rank it third after FD/SV, being much more desirable than BF/Lylat/possibly PS.

S-Smash is just the general term for the more commonly used term F-Smash, which is a misnomer because you can face on way, press back toward your back on the C-stick, and do the same exact Smash attack (unlike in the air where they are different).

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
I was interested in seeing the peanut gun part, I think as diddy mainers we get so caught up in the bannanas that we forget we have another viable projectile.

"Using a thrown peanut followed by a barrage of bananas can be very effective for approaching"

Honestly do you use that? Ive never seen it.

----

-Peanuts are great for distracting opponents who are recovering, try shooting a few to control the opponents recovery options and direction.

I think peanuts of the edge are great! What i think works best is standing about the middle of the stage so that they arc right in front of the ledge making it near impossible to recover without getting hit by one. And, because they get hit so close to the ledge i have actually gotten a few kills this way from people immediatly up-B'ing into either another peanut or the bottom of the stage.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yea I do the thrown peanut trick all the time in live play. Usually, after getting a KO, I'll SH peanut, dash attack catch, double banana, and then when the opponent is on the stage and uninvincable I'll lead with the peanut, then proceed with bananas. Quite often they will catch the peanut and have a worthless projectile, ROFL.

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
Hm I never thought about grabbing it between stocks, I was thinking it would be to hard to pull off in a fight but, ya that could work.

and lolz at opponent stuck with a peanut.

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
These articles were a really good read and helpful, they went deeper into Diddy Kong than I could have thought of. I'll work on applying this info into my game. Thanks AZ. :D

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
What do people think are some match ups people want to see advice on? I'm going to do a "top 5 most difficult match ups" I think. Suggestions? MetaKnight is a definite already.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
What do people think are some match ups people want to see advice on? I'm going to do a "top 5 most difficult match ups" I think. Suggestions? MetaKnight is a definite already.
MK
Snake
Falco
GW
Peach/Luigi (since they both hinder banana game greatly by either floating, or sliding really far away when slipping, respectively)

Player-1

Smash Legend
Top 10 maybe? Diddy has quite a few bad match ups id be willing to help for the other 5.

for me its

Snake
Wario
Falco
Mk
Luigi

Count

Smash Champion
I suck vs kirby. Why? I have no idea. Spammy TLs are difficult for me to approach. I personally need help vs terrible, spammy wolfs, but I doubt other diddys are having that problem. Other than that, basically P-1s list.

Any help vs spammy wolfs is appreciated, and by spammy wolfs i mean the ones on gamebattles that are god awful that only hit cstick forward, cstick down, and b. I know I'm pathetic for needing help vs these noobish wolfs, but I do, so any help is appreciated.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I suck vs kirby. Why? I have no idea. Spammy TLs are difficult for me to approach. I personally need help vs terrible, spammy wolfs, but I doubt other diddys are having that problem. Other than that, basically P-1s list.

Any help vs spammy wolfs is appreciated, and by spammy wolfs i mean the ones on gamebattles that are god awful that only hit cstick forward, cstick down, and b. I know I'm pathetic for needing help vs these noobish wolfs, but I do, so any help is appreciated.
Spam back 10 chars

Skarmbliss

Smash Cadet
Heres my top 5 characters in order that I cant stand playing against

1. Snake
2. Game @ Watch
3. Falco
4. Wario
5. Metaknight

Game @ Watch gives me alot of trouble. For one thing, I cant figure out how to get back on the stage safely. If I jump, G@W does that up A smoke pipe move and then combos me from there starting with Game and Watches D Smash. Also every attack I do on him seems like im punished which leads me to grabbing him instead of using smash attacks.

Any advice on Gamee @ Watch would gladly be appreciated,

Player-1

Smash Legend
G&W main weakness is his lightness, you can kill him at80% damage minimum and you can easily get that with bananas

Top Bottom