• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Technique: Ledgedashattack (LDA)

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
If you stand right at the edge and go into your teeter animation, you normally cannot initiate a dash because you will fall off. However, if you tap diagonally downwards towards the edge very quickly, you can do a standstill dash animation.

This can be used to do a dash attack right on the edge. People with long rangedd dash attacks like Ness might be able to use this. You can even do multiple dashes at the edge meaning multiple dash attacks in rapid succession.

You can even just tap forward VERY quickly, but that's the problem with it. You have to press it VERY quickly. Diagonally downards is much easier.

This works with anyone, but is most useful for these characters:

Ness: Long rangedand can semi-spike
Ike: Long range, pushes people away, powerful
Marth: Long range, pushes people away
Kind Dedede: Long range, VERY powerful

Anyone with a long ranged dash attack that can reach far off stage could probably use this, but the way that their dash attack hits should also be taken into account. While Link can reach off stage with his dash attack, th way it pops enemies upwards probably wont help much.

VIDEO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml56MRBZ-BQ

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Sure thing

Anyways, i just tested this, and it works without tap jump on and using diagonally upwards also.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Probably, but I dont know which dash attacks would be suited well to that. It would have to reach off stage and have some sort of knockback that pushes people away.

Ness' works with his early sparks because it can semispike. Marth and Link have the range, but not the correct directionnal knockback.

chubas

Smash Apprentice
Surely some characters like Ganon and Ivysaur can benefit a lot from this. I am terrible at edgeguarding, a great tip.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Wow, this is pretty cool. This makes G&W's Dash attack stage spike that much easier ;D
Good job.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Pretty cool, I guess this is only useful for characters whose dash attacks have more range than their tilts/smashes/jabs at the ledge.

Mr.Trite

Smash Apprentice
Ganon's shoulder hardly goes over the edge.......if it even does.

I say Ike and his fat sword if you really want to use this ledge dash thing so badly.

Can't you just leave a tiny step between the edge and yourself then dash+down on Cstick for the dash attack?

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
lol isnt this just a normal game mechanic? you can dash at the ledge just do it quick. or in your case diagnoly up or down and it works. very good surprise attack

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Mr. Trite, yes, but see, what if you wanna do this?

You stand right on the edge, teetering so that you can hug the ledge to edgehog, or resort to your dash attack. Now you have two options. If you step back, you can do a quick dash attack, but you cannot hug.

At the above poster, not really. I think it is a aglitch since normally you shouldnt be able to dash right on the edge and stay completely still.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Do you really need me to make a vid? I can, but it's pretty simple to understand so I think you can do it.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
This is pretty useful, though, I don't think I quite understand what you mean by this. If I try this, I just do my Over A or my Loft Over A..

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
A video might not be necessary, but some of us are slow. Like me for instance. lol. I just have a hard time understand things... =/

Video would be cool, but meeting me online to demonstrate would be even cooler. haha.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
meh, just tested it with Ike. It works alright, but I hope you are confident with this technique. If you fail, you end up doing a nair off the stage and you plummet to your doom.

Okay Miamisportsfan, expect a video soon.
We can play sometime if you really want to. If you are active and good, I wouldnt mind just a few regular matches. FC is to the left, tell me if you wanna add me and I can show you later.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
Yeah, I consider myself pretty good. Well, decent at least. Though, before we play matches could you demonstrate what this topic is about before it? Then afterwards we have some competitively fun matches. If that's cool with you.

Just get at me whenever you're up for them. I'll be sure to check back at this topic though to see how the population and buzz is about this technique, too. Interested in learning this myself because this could be handy against some of those characters that struggle to obtain the ledge when being ledgehogged.

For future reference, in case you ever want instant communication, my AIM is Miamisportsfan45 as well.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Ahh it's like Sonic's Infinite Run.

Sonic can do a 'special' version of this, since he can do a slow run out of a foxtrot, and the slow run allows him to do the 'infinite run' on the edge lol.

The easy way to do it from range is to start a dash then pull back on the control stick slightly. You'll run a little slower, and if you can bring it to the smallest point that you can while still maintaining a run, you won't go over the edge.

Zodiac

Smash Master
sweet, I like this tech, I have a brawl tourny coming up in a few days. This is really gonna help my edge guarding.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Im glad people are taking a liking to this technique

Upload a youtube video.

I'm interested.
K probably will tommorrow

Yeah, I consider myself pretty good. Well, decent at least. Though, before we play matches could you demonstrate what this topic is about before it? Then afterwards we have some competitively fun matches. If that's cool with you.

Just get at me whenever you're up for them. I'll be sure to check back at this topic though to see how the population and buzz is about this technique, too. Interested in learning this myself because this could be handy against some of those characters that struggle to obtain the ledge when being ledgehogged.

For future reference, in case you ever want instant communication, my AIM is Miamisportsfan45 as well.
K, we'll play somtime. My AIM is Mikman360
I'll show it to you then we can play :)

BTW, who do you use? Im not telling you who I use :bee:

Useful, unfortunatley its ok with marth but great with snake and DDD
Snake? Howso? His dash attack may be strong, but I dont think it reaches off the ledge very far.

Dedede however, seems to be awesome with this. His dash attack goes completely off and is VERY poweful. I think he has the most powerful dash attack in the game right?

Ahh it's like Sonic's Infinite Run.

Sonic can do a 'special' version of this, since he can do a slow run out of a foxtrot, and the slow run allows him to do the 'infinite run' on the edge lol.

The easy way to do it from range is to start a dash then pull back on the control stick slightly. You'll run a little slower, and if you can bring it to the smallest point that you can while still maintaining a run, you won't go over the edge.
Ah, yes, it is like this. I just tried it. BTW, everyone can do this, not just Sonic.

sweet, I like this tech, I have a brawl tourny coming up in a few days. This is really gonna help my edge guarding.
Great, but remember, its more useful for some characters than others. Ike, Marth, Dedede, and Ness can use this very well because they have long hitboxes and they hit the opponent off the edge more. Link can maybe use this, but his dash attack sends people up. There will probably be better options for him. Lucas and Zelda maybe, but they're in the same boat as Link.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I have no opinion on this except for that it should be renamed Ledgedashattacking. Because that's what you're doing. Ledgedashing sounds like you're dashing at the ledge.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Hum, maybe we could try to use Boost Grab with this technique... That would great to gimp a Snake recovering by example ^^

fkacyan

Smash Hero
This is pretty good for people who have long dash attacks, or bizarre hitboxes on them, I suppose.

LDAing, eh, Yuna?

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I have no opinion on this except for that it should be renamed Ledgedashattacking. Because that's what you're doing. Ledgedashing sounds like you're dashing at the ledge.
That sounds too clunky. Besides, you ARE dashing at the edge. The dash attack is just a bonus, making dashing at the edge useful in a way.

Top Bottom