• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"This Game Sucks", a brawl and melee tourney. April 26th. Stevens Point, WI

Zicore

Smash Champion
Ok, so I have been talking with these dudes from UWSP about hosting a fundraiser for their Anime Convention. They have finally gotten all the details about it, and here it is.

Name: This Game Sucks

When: April 26th, 2008 from 1pm to 11pm. If we do not finish, we can finish at my house.

Where: The Legacy Room in the UC Building of the UWSP Campus. The room name is "The Legacy Room". The address is as follows:
Dreyfus University Center UW-Stevens Point
1015 Reserve St. Stevens Point, WI 54481

Price: $5 Entry fee, $10 Singles, $10 for teams ($5 per person). Both Singles and Doubles will be paid out as 60%, 30%, 10%, respectfully.

Housing:
I can house about 20 to 25 people at my place Friday and Saturday. If you are interested, please PM me.

Food:
We are about 3 blocks from all the major fast food joints. There is a taco bell, Hardees, KFC, McDonalds, Subway, Cousins, Rocky Racoco's. Some are farther away then others. I am not sure about in-campus food, but I know there are vending machines around there somewhere =/
Rules: 8 min. time 3 stock. We will be doing pools for teams and pools for singles. The size of the pools will be determined by the amount of people that show up. Top 8 singles advance, top 4 teams advance into double elimination bracket.

Nuetral stages:FD, Battlefield, Smashville, Lylat Cruise, Pokemon Stadium, and Yoshi's Island
Delphino Plaza

counterpickable stages: Halberd, Brinstar, Castle Siege, Green Greens, Green Hill Zone, Jungle Japes, pictochat, Rainbow Cruise, Norfair, Frigate Orpheon, Yoshi's Island (pipes)

No stall tactics
you can use whichever controller you want(GC, classic, etc) other then modded ones.

team attack is on, with life stealing allowed.

no items

double blind pick may be called.

BYOC

***These rules were taken directly from Big C's big tourney. The only thing I changed is Delphino Plaze is a neutral. But again, for those of you who were there, from what I heard, this was a greatly run tourney. So I figure its best to keep that kinda thing.

Like I said before, it is a fundraiser, but they are only taking the entry fee. But the pots will not have anything taken from it.

I am really hoping both MN makes it as well as Illinois, along with all of WI. This is the center of the state, so its not that far for most people. Also, post if you need housing. I can house about 25 people for friday and saturday.

The room is quite big, so we have ample space, and 10 hours is a lot of time. So post up.

PM me if you need my address if you are planning on staying at my house for friday or saturday.

killervandinter

Smash Rookie
question im new to the tournement scene and idk if ill even be able to make it but can u be in both singles and teams if u pay for both?

Zicore

Smash Champion
Yes you can.

I would really like to know if people are interested in this, seeing as how there is gonna be plenty of local people coming from the college, so money is available =D

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
Any questions can also be directed my way. The fundraiser is for my organization. Thanks for participating.

Eci4

Smash Ace
I gotta see how much money I have around then, and if I can get off work... but this is definitely a possibility for me....

I would need housing for sure.

Spittin Wheelie

Smash Cadet
I will for sure be participating as I'm a student at UWSP. If you need housing, don't worry. There are a ton of students whose dorm room you can crash in.

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
I will for sure be participating as I'm a student at UWSP. If you need housing, don't worry. There are a ton of students whose dorm room you can crash in.
The downside to this, is that our dorm rooms are quite small. Groups would have to be split up, as each dorm can only hold 1-2 people, 2 if you don't mind sleeping on the floor, and assuming both residents use lofts.

It'd probably be best to crash at Zicore's place, and I bet since he'll probably come Cosmo could house a few... and there's Gary aka Black Hayate's house, if you can put up with his mother (or so I'm told)

Zicore

Smash Champion
Dillon, shut up.

But I can house about 20 people, which hopefully should be enough.

Black Hayate

Smash Lord
i can't house anyone, unless you want to see a scary asian women

btw paul, the name should be "this game sucks" lol

eof will come to this if this is the name

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna vote, like I said on AIM that the tournament be called Wakizashi. It's a play on Daisho, essentially saying that the con is the main thing, and the tournament is smaller but just as important.

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
My tournament experience is that the environment is more fun than the actual gaming. It's about being around a group of people with the same interests, not just playing the game. Have more in mind than just the gaming, think about it as a social event.

amished

Smash Cadet
Hey Zicore, if there's more people from MN I'll definitley make it, but even still, I'm pretty sure I'll get there one way or another. I would need housing too, just to let ya know.

Black Hayate

Smash Lord
My tournament experience is that the environment is more fun than the actual gaming. It's about being around a group of people with the same interests, not just playing the game. Have more in mind than just the gaming, think about it as a social event.
if you are reply to chexr, i don't think you really understand what he's saying

paul, you didn't put melee rule up. which makes me sad

Zicore

Smash Champion
if you are reply to chexr, i don't think you really understand what he's saying

paul, you didn't put melee rule up. which makes me sad
cause everyone knows the rules.

but we might actually have like...a double elim. side tourney for melee if it doesn't interfere with anything. Cause like...chexr and aaron and good at both games, and they will be doing well in brawl, and I don't want to be delayed cause they are doing one game and have matches in the other...and if anything, we can just finish it at my house.

Spittin Wheelie

Smash Cadet
Seems like this tourny is getting a nice buzz here in Point. I've talked with a few people from Eau Claire that said they will be attending.

Also, who is bringing setups? We have access to quite a few, but the more the better since we will have ample space.

Black Hayate

Smash Lord
Seems like this tourny is getting a nice buzz here in Point. I've talked with a few people from Eau Claire that said they will be attending.

Also, who is bringing setups? We have access to quite a few, but the more the better since we will have ample space.
bring as much as possible, there is A LOT of space

Devilution

Smash Journeyman
Me and Toe are teaming for this, get ready to be chaingrabbed like ***, since we both main Dedede.

@Chexr - 3$mm kirby ditto, whenever
@Aaron - 2$mm whenever
@Hayate - 2$mm whenever
@Dragmire - 1$mm whenever
*I'd rather not do the mm's online cuz it doesn't really show off skill...hint hint it's brawl not melee.

Zicore

Smash Champion
Maybe :zerosuitsamus:

I guess since this is melee too :falco:
I think I will have the melee thing at my place the night before. If we can have 25 people or so...thats really good. If anything, we can have 2 or 3 setups on the side for the melee tourney...

Zicore

Smash Champion
Just wondering if people would like the entry fee for teams raised to $10 per person per team, or if its fine the way it is...

Chexr

Smash Ace
$10 each for teams is normally the best. Other wise you only get 1/4 of first for singles and teams generally is more fun and gives different people better chances. Like Meza and Sago

Spittin Wheelie

Smash Cadet
Just wondering if people would like the entry fee for teams raised to $10 per person per team, or if its fine the way it is...
It's fine the way it is. I'm really looking forward to the teams tourny, I've never done one, and it seems like teams is the way to go in Brawl.

Zicore

Smash Champion
toecutter, are you bringing a setup? and is gary? We needs loads of setups.

Zicore

Smash Champion
I just got gamecrazy to sponsor this event, and they have offered free gift certs to the winners, free coupons, free stuff (idk what it is, but its like...collectible things from games...) and possibly a prerelease wii setup with Mario Kart Wii which comes out that night. Woot.

Black Hayate

Smash Lord
I just got gamecrazy to sponsor this event, and they have offered free gift certs to the winners, free coupons, free stuff (idk what it is, but its like...collectible things from games...) and possibly a prerelease wii setup with Mario Kart Wii which comes out that night. Woot.
i though mario kart got push back to june or something like that

Top Bottom