• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Detailed Character Matchups *Under Construction*/Movesets/Training Guide

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace

Introduction

Okay, for all of those who are confused about what happened to my "Detailed Character Matchups" thread, this is it. I've just found that I've added so much to the thread, it's more of a guide to Ike now then anything else. I am not a crazy awesome Ike, and I would assume that many of you could probably give me a run for my money. However, my advice is mainly built of many people opinions, not just my own.

Table of Contents:
1. Moveset
2. Training
3. Detailed Character Matchups

On a side note, if you are looking for a specific section, I strongly suggest using the Search function in your browser - likely Ctrl+f - to find the spot. If your looking for a specific character matchup, simply typing the characters name will shoot you to the right spot. ;)

1.Moveset
Your moveset is your greatest asset in Brawl, and I firmly believe that Ike’s is easily the most misunderstood of all characters, especially to newbs. Now, I’m going to be giving a detailed look at EVERY move Ike has as I will be mentioning them often in the matchups, and you'll need to know what I'm talking about. ^^

Fair
This is your most important spacing move you have. It also has the luxury of having awesome knockback and damage. If you actually bother to go and practice hitting with the absolute tip -kinda like Marth in Melee- you’ll notice that most of the cast will be simply too far away to grab you if they shield it, or counter attack you if you happen to attack them with it in the air. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP JUMPING IN WITH ALL YOUR MOMENTUM WITH THIS MOVE! It completely RUINS its spacing, thus, use this move ONLY if you’ve learned how to space it. You will get punished like no tomorrow if you don’t. Using this move along the ground (Short Hop, Fast Fall it) with a retreating or stationary nature give you a nearly unbreakable wall of power to play defensively with. If opponent is using a projectile that clashes with hitboxes, it can be fairly effective as an approach against these. The lag is actually better if you land before the move is done, oddly enough. The lag while airborne is easily twice as long compared to if you land while executing it. Think of it as a weird L-Cancel. ;)

Nair
This is your general purpose aerial. It hits almost completely around you, has almost no landing lag, and pops them up, giving you space when it hits. It unfortunately doesn’t have good knockback nor damage, BUT its easily your best aerial for pressuring and getting breathing room. Learn how to fast fall this, as it’ll make your Ike infinitely faster, thus more pressuring, which is what Ike is all about, pressure.

Bair
RAR is great… but please people, this is a kill move. Don’t spam it like the others. I won’t mention this move often, because I ONLY use it to kill. I like having it at max power when I use it. However, against your tougher matchups, using this as an approach may be required. This will make killing harder later in the match, but may be necassary to get the % you need.

Dair
Powerful spike, rather easy to use. The spike happens in the few few frames of the move, so timing is crucial. Use this against easy to predict recoveries, and morons who don't airdodge while recovering. Watch out that you don't Fast Fall this while edgeguarding....the lag is brutal and you will kill yourself!

Uair
A powerful specific usage attack. If your opponent is above you, and Aether won't hit them, this works GREAT. It has such high priority, you'll generally negate any dair they try to pull off. It also KO's certain characters *cough*Metaknight*cough* really easily. You can hit taller characters on the ground with this attack if you fast fall it, but thats a risky move, so I only suggest it when you've got a clear shot.

Jabs
This is your most important move in your moveset, no doubt. It’ll build up the majority of your damage, give you breathing space, and has enough range on the last hit to prevent a shield grab. ^^ It’s also an AWESOME follow up to your Nair. Nair -> Jab is the sickest thing Ike has. Your opponent has almost no time to react, and if they do, good chances are Ike is just too far away (there are exceptions though!). Note: Some characters have ways of interupting the Jab combo mid-execution. This changes the moves use significantly. You may need to Jab Cancel (that involves TAPPING the shield as soon as you complete the first or second jab). Jab Cancelling also opens up other techniques, like Jab-Jab-Grab, or Jab-Jab. My personal favourite is Jab-Jab-U-tilt. Its fast and beefy. ^^ Either way, USE THESE!

Ftilt
I'll admit, I USED to think this move was useless. Until I accidentally pulled it out a few times during a match when trying to do a Fsmash by reflex. I had a charging foe coming at me, and I decided the HUGE and powerful hitbox of the Fsmash would be a good idea, but this came out instead. Result? KO! Whats the moral? This move is a GREAT poke. Its much faster than Fsmash and covers a big area in front of Ike. It also has the distinct advantage of being able to stop a LOT of projectiles. Another interesting thing about this move is that you can aim it up and down. By doing this, you can actually poke at depleted shields and get a solid hitting attack in when you're opponent isn't expecting it. Try to incorporate this into your game, you'll be surprised.

Dtilt
This move is a spike, through and through. I have found no practical purpose for it beyond spiking. And, in most cases, Dairing would be a better idea. Its just too slow.

Utilt
The infamous Utilt. There are few situations where another move wouldn't do better. It does have a few good uses and thats using as a high priority sheild, much like how I use Uair. I should note this move combos at low %'s, so it has more use then. It's also a GREAT move to end a jab-cancel with. It's even better out of your shield, as the start up is quick and the range is generally a non-issue after you shielded an attack.

Fsmash
The beastly killing machine of your moveset. This move kills at 50% most of the time, covers a VERY large area and does a large chunk of damage. However, the attack is brutally slow and brutally laggy. You MUST only use this move when you are certain your opponent can't punish you for it. I should note that this move is actually WEAKER at its tip than its centre.

Dsmash
This move is occasionally good for roll chasing, and is pretty good out of the shield. Most of the time though, Usmash does a better job. Use this move to mix it up when you've become too predictable, but not much else.

Up-Smash
I like this move. It has a great range, hits all around, huge knockback and a disjointed hitbox! Use this to punish platform users, rollers and predictable aerials. It can also be Jump-Cancelled out of a run, just like ever other Up-Smash. You can do this easily by running, and slaming Up-A, or flicking your C-stick while running. The result will be a Up-Smash while still moving. Ike happens to be one of the best characters to do this with given the raw power, range and priority of his Up-Smash. Don't spam it though!

Quick Draw
Use this for spacing! It's awesome to close the gap (or increase it) between your opponent and you. It SUX as an actual attack due to its lag though, as, if they shield it, your in a world of trouble. Practice your charge times, so that you land in front of them every time. However, it’s still not your best approach. It’s far too predictable to good players to use all the time. Also, as a recovery, you have to mix it up. Aiming constantly for the sweetspot is going to get you killed by people who know the nature of the move. Aim for the stage sometimes. ^^

Eruption
Its... a move? I won't lie to you guys, this move is pretty limited in ts use. I find it useful for players who like to recover on the stage, as this will punish them BADLY for it. Its also good for when your coming down on top of a foe, as the Super Armour can make the descent a little safer. Otherwise... there are better moves.

Aether
It is a great move for stopping aerial attacks. Think of Olimar’s up-b. Now add a heck of a lot more damage and Super Armor. You got Aether! Never underestimate this for stopping aggression when you’re trying to get space back. Its also deadly out of the sheild. If you have tap-jumping enabled, you can press Up-B in your shield, resulting in an Aether straight out of the shield. All characters can do this, but Ike has Super Armour out of the sheild, AND can be putting his opponent into a 15-20% damage move. ^^ However, the move is still risky, so don't spam it. Be CAREFUL with this attack when recovering. Some characters have a really easy time gimping it. I will describe them further in the matchups.

Counter
Your ultimate anti-aggression move. It has awkward timing, but you can work around it with enough practice. If you have a relentless opponent, this is a great move to give space. Use it sparingly though, as your opponent will wake up and start grabbing instead!

Shield Grabs
These aren’t unique to you, but for they are important no less. You will have to be defensive in this game. Ike isn’t fast enough to constantly pressure, but he has enough defensive options that he can bounce back. This is one of them. USE them. Aerials/Dashes/Predictable attack can be countered with Aether, Counter AND these. Using all your options makes you less predictable. Less predictable is good! On a side note, NONE of Ike's throws combo into anything if your opponent DI's. If they don't, Dthrow goes into Aether. Personally, I just use throws to rack of damage and get space back.

2. Training
Okay guys, this is something that we all need to do in order to get better. Matches are a great way to build experience, but practicing those important skills can just be as vital to increasing your overall skill. This section covers the things that every Ike should know in order to be a better player.

Short Hopping and Fast Falling
This is single handedly, the most important thing you can do to make your Ike more threatening. It allows him to aerials in a much shorter time frame, and in the case of Fair, it even reduces lag time. Short Hopping (SH) involves tapping the button. This means:
A) Not pushing it all the way down
B) Removing your finger from the button ASAP

The result should be a jump about half the height of a normal jump. Practice this while standing in one spot. Do it until you can do 19 out of 20 jumps correctly. Now, try moving while doing this. Do that until your at the 19/20 consistency. Tinker around with jump lengths, both backwards and forwards. Get a really good feel for the length of this jump.

Now, we add the Fast Fall(FF). To FF, simply press down on your analog stick when Ike PEAKS his jump. This will increase his acceleration to the ground. It imperative that you do the tap at the PEAK of the jump, otherwise it doesn't work. You should be doing these out of a SH. Once you can consistently (19/20) do this, try running around while doing it. Practice until you reach the 19/20 consistency at all sorts of speeds.

Now, the next step, adding the aerials. First, SH, do the aerial, then FF. Practice in one spot until 19/20 with all 5 aerials; Fair, Nair, Uair, Bair and Dair. Then try moving with all 5 aerials. Get that 19/20 consistency. This will take awhile.

Finally, try doing his specials (especially Side-B and Down-B) and airdodging while SHFFing, following the same rules for consistency.

Congratulations, you now have made your Ike MUCH faster and more mobile. ^^

Spacing
This is the second most important thing for an Ike to learn. Even with the speed boost of SHFFing, Ike is still laggy enough to be punished. Thus, you need to learn tricks to keep you just outside of your opponent range, while still being inside yours. ^^

First, we'll cover the Quick Draw (QD, or his SideB). Its the easiest, most basic way for Ike to improve his speed and pressure his opponent. The key is stop right in sword range. To learn the spacing, simply QD back and forth around a stage. Feel out how the charge time effects the distance. Try doing aerial ones as well, as they make you slide farther. Once you've learned the charge time to distance ratio, the rest is up to you. Figuring out what move to use at the end of the QD depends on the situation, and is something you can't practice in training mode. ;)

Second, we talk about the almighty Fair. I can't stress enough how important it is NOT to suck with this move. Fair is powerful, but needs to be hit with the utmost tip to be effective. To practice this, try fairing a stationary target will doing stationary Fairs. Hit with the tip 19/20 times. Then try moving backwards and forwards, while only hitting with the tip. Get a 19/20 consistency. Now, make that target move. Level 9's in training set on run suffice. Run around using only fair, and ONLY hit with the tip. Get a 19/20 consistency. Remember, you should be aiming to do all this with SHFFing as much as possible.

Once you complete that, repeat the training with Nair, but with a small difference. Every time you land Nair, do a Jab combo, or grab. The limited lag on Nair allows you to do follow up like this. Getting them burned into muscle memory will make you better, and you learn the spacing at the same time. Remember, SHFF!

Congratulations, you now understand the basics of spacing with Ike! Now, to improve, you need to play matches, and learn how to keep your opponent off you by using your range. This is something you can't practice in Training Mode. The timing for it is also something you shouldn't practice in Training mode. Human players will teach you better than CPU's. ^^

Directional Influence
This isn't a character specific tech, but a VERY useful one altogether. It allows you to live far longer, move out of combos, or move yourself into an opponent to take advantage of lag. The concept is simple, merely hold the Analog stick in the direction you want to go when you get hit by an attack. However, the direction you choose makes a big difference in how far you go.

Pressing in the exact opposite direction that you're launched seems logical, but doesn't give you the most effect. Holding perpendicular to the direction you're launched is actually your best bet. It increases the distance you need to fly in order to get KO'd significantly. Airdodging right after an attack also decreased stun time and launch distance.

Now, knowing this, its important that this becomes second nature, you shouldn't have to think about it. Thus, you need to practice it. If you have a crew/training buddy, this training is far more effective, but you may not be that lucky. Either way, the training is simple, have a variety of characters whack you with a variety of attacks. DI in the correct direction while simultaneously airdodging with the 19/20 consistency AT LEAST. The longer and more attacks you practice doing this with, the better. You will notice the difference in your distance flown. If you have a training buddy, its far easier to do, as you can go into training mode and give yourself a 70% handicap to get a more noticeable and significant launch to practice with. I can't stress enough how important it is to have this as an instinct. All the pro's do, so you don't, you're going to be at a VERY large disadvantage.

Evasive Maneuvers
This is also a simple concept that is rarely practiced, "DON'T GET HIT". With Ike, dodging stuff, particularly projectiles, is extremely important. Because you're so gimpable and slow, getting hit ruins you're game more than others. It's also impossible to approach if you can't dodge. Thus, you need to practice it, until it's second nature.

I strongly recommend a training buddy. CPU's are far too predictable, and you'll build bad habits. Thus, FIND A TRAINING BUDDY. To practice, merely get your buddy to use projectiles and camp. Tell him to be as difficult to approach as possible. You're goal of course, is to get into Fair range with as little damage as possible, preferably zero. How, you might ask? Short hopped airdodges, jumps, rolls, and spotdodges. Mix them up, testing out which ones are effective and when. This is unique to every player. I personally like staying in the air, so I mainly SH Airdodge and double jump. I know some Ike like walking and shielding. It's all up to you to decide you're style.

Once you can approach him with little damage, switch up characters. Every character requires different evasive maneuvers. Learning to dodge them all is very important. Once you're confident in you're ability to remain untouched on the approach, practice the next kind of evasion, melee range. Essentially, you reverse roles. Your buddy comes at you, with the goal of getting as many hits as possible. Your goal is not get hit. This isn't "practical" in the context of a match, but the real goal is to get you familiar with the kinds of defensive plays that Brawl allows. Once again, practicing with a variety of characters helps a ton. You should be able to evade on reaction.

3. Matchups *Under Reconstruction*
Alright now, I feel there should be a solid forward to this new Matchup section. Ike's metagame has been getting stagnant guys. I can't argue against this. While most characters are discovering sweet AT's, chaingrabs and unique edgeguards, we are still just trying to not get sheildgrabbed. Because of this, I am not longer placing the characters into "tiers", I am only giving you info on how to fight the characters themselves. This will better reflect the current metagame, as advantage and disadvanatages are practically changing every day.

Every character has their "weight" beside them, which explain which direction to kill them. Lights should be kill vertically with U-tilt/U-Smash/U-air, Heavies with F-tilt and edgeguards, while Mediums have no preference.

Conclusions

There we have it people, a detailed guide to matchups, based on real experience, against real players that know what they are doing. If anyone wishes to dispute my opinions, feel free to do so, as these are of course, just my experiences, and therefore aren’t the be-all-and-end-all.

I'd like to add that I'm really looking for help on this project. All of your input is greatly appreciated, as this is an ongoing project that will always move as the metagame develops. Also, pointing out hard to read areas, layout issues, and grammar is very helpful! Thanks for the support!

The Mediator

Smash Journeyman
I think Luigi should go in the easy or the evenly matched region, for the sole reason that he is easy to kill. He's not an incredibly heavy or powerful character at all, and Ike easily outranges him. I find that once you rack up some damage on Luigi, and then get a solid Fsmash off, then he's pretty much dead.

Great thread, I've been waiting for one of these =)

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
I've never had incredible troubles against ROB. They are usually even matches. Ike has range and power, but ROB is very hard to kill, and his Down B ***** the Quick Draw.

With careful practice though, you can be defensive enough to get around his projectiles, and good usage of Counter makes up for his aerial game. I think the problem is, many Ike's are used to be able to be UBER aggressive against most of the cast. You can't do that versus ROB, it'll get you killed.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Sheik, ZSS, and Marth can all gimp Ike's recovery horribly.

Everyone get edgehog Ike's QD recovery unless you used to to get onto the stage.

Sheik can ledgedrop aerials to keep you out of the right range for an Aether.
ZSS and Marth can just Side+B (ZSS) or Fsmash (Marth) you as you come up, because Ike can't autosweetspot the ledge from Aether.

FEaR.7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FEaR.7
Snake's Dash Attack Cancel to Upsmash is a real pain in the as$, if I can see it coming what I do is a short hop backwards with a nair, that prevents de upsmash. It's really a matter of reading your oponent to know when its coming and thus not to easy to guard against.

Good work Trebor-nella.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ike beats Lucario. Slight advantage.

Loses to Pikachu. Slight disadvantage

Loses to Marth. Slight disadvantage.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Hmm... just wondering, are all of these impressions based off online matches? I've found that the lag present in online matches changes the metagame somewhat, making multi-hit moves slightly more effective, because they are more forgiving of accuracy errors.

NiRV7iQ

Smash Apprentice
Sheik, ZSS, and Marth can all gimp Ike's recovery horribly.

Everyone get edgehog Ike's QD recovery unless you used to to get onto the stage.

Sheik can ledgedrop aerials to keep you out of the right range for an Aether.
ZSS and Marth can just Side+B (ZSS) or Fsmash (Marth) you as you come up, because Ike can't autosweetspot the ledge from Aether.
Ah, beat me to it. Quoted for ultimate truth.

ifthisisitsobeit

Smash Cadet
It is good to read someone else clamp Marth down as a managable fight. I am really getting sick and tired of the 'OMG Marth is so much better than everyone else routine.'

I disagree with the placements of DK, Wario, Diddy, Snake, and PT but this could be my style of play putting some higher and others lower. Overall, nice post.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Ike mauling Wario? I know obviously that Ike outranges and mostly outpowers him but Wario can put some unbelieveable pressure on Ike. I think a lot of Ike and Wario players would agree that Wario should have it easier in that matchup than Ike if the Wario player knows his stuff. He belongs in the tough fights section or at least in a high part of the evenly matched section.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Personally, I don't think Mario is completely countered by Ike. Ike does has the advantage overall, but the Fireball is a lot better than you are giving it credit for. Mario can reasonably spam it and force Ike to approach him. Better yet for Mario, Mario has a much easier time following behind his Fireball and linking attacks from behind it in Brawl. And a properly aimed FLUDD = death against his Aether btw because it gains so little horizontal distance. Quick Draw has a much better chance of recovery against Mario actually because of the horizontal distance gained. Generally you want to recover with Aether though otherwise.

G&W also has the advantage on Ike. G&W can indiscriminately attack shields with his B-air, and his non-sweetspotted D-smash will gimp Ike easily due to its high knockback which is completely horizontal, not to mention it is very fast and he can D-throw into a D-smash. It's not unwinnable for Ike though, as he wins ever so slightly in range, and he can kill G&W vertically quite fast with his U-tilt and U-air which do outprioritize pretty much everything.

The Mediator

Smash Journeyman
Ike mauling Wario? I know obviously that Ike outranges and mostly outpowers him but Wario can put some unbelieveable pressure on Ike. I think a lot of Ike and Wario players would agree that Wario should have it easier in that matchup than Ike if the Wario player knows his stuff. He belongs in the tough fights section or at least in a high part of the evenly matched section.
I dunno... You see, Ike outranges Wario, definitely, but not in a way that he outranges everybody else--Ike REALLY outranges Wario. I was playing Wario the other day to see what he was like... and I was really put off by the range of Wario's attacks. His Fsmash goes about an inch!

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
I'm really liking all the response I'm getting. Especially since nobody has just come out and declared my points void.

To answer some questions...

Yes, ALL these matchups are Online matches, so the lag is a factor, but generally, I've been dropping out of matches where I can notice the lag. You'd be surprized how little lag you can have with high speed lines.

The list is in NO PARTICULAR ORDER within the tiers. Thus, the location of characters within the tiers does not mean anything in terms to how difficult I found them to be.

Ike weakness because of gimpage recoveries seems to come up a lot. My only arguement to this is that Ike's recovery isn't designed to be used the same way over and over again. QD has to be used in such a way that your opponent won't be able to tell if your going for the stage or sweetspot. You HAVE to take advantage of your SAF with your Aether. If your predictable, your screwed. But, I'll admit Ike has a sub par recovery. He can't have everything!

Specifically, Mario's FLUUD IS something you have to watch out for, thus why I added it. His fireball is one of the worst and easy to avoid projectiles in the game. When you spend your day dodging 3 projectiles from TL, 2 from ROB and **** good ones from the spacies, Mario's fireball is a snap to deal with. Thus, I just feel that the rest of the matchup is so tilted in your favour, that if doesn't get you off the edge, he's sunk.

ZZS is fast and rangy, but your powerful and rangy. You both have gimpy recoveries. Thus, why I put her in the evenly matched categories. You both have the ability to land hits and gimp to victory, so its rather even.

Wario... I have yet to find one that is a challenge. Even with his incredible Air Movement, he can't outrange you, and it he often times can't get out of your swords range either. He recovers like a beast, but when you have no problem getting off the stage in the first place, it doesn't really matter. He's just unorthodox to fight, but once your used to his movements, he's not challenging anymore.

Lucario - Apparently quite a few Ike's have a problem with this guy... I can understand with his defensive/campy game. It is all about your approach, you need to develop good defensive approaches before you can take him on, or any camper for that reason. He's a REAL problem when he's above 100%, and I noted that. He hasn't, however, given me enough trouble to justify placing him with the likes of TL, Pit and the spacies, thus why I have him in the even matches.

DuB 22

Smash Cadet
In my experiences of playing Samus' online (some good, some bad) she has been a somewaht difficult fight. I've been lucky enough to play her on stages such as Battlefield, Delfino, and Frigate where most of my kills have came from platform punishing but nonetheless, here are some problems i had.

Samus has no post lag on any aerials. Jabs are about all you can get on a good Samus before she hits you with a quick F-smash our of the aerial.

Projectiles as you stated. Uncharged B shots mess up my momentum making QD approaches limited.

That zair >.< I wasn't playing Hylian or HugS so my opponents could not fully use it to it's advantage but given time it will be hard to get past. I've found going above Samus and using eruption, and nair's are best to counter this. (Especially Nair --> Jab Combo)

Tether Recovery is hard to gimp.

How I won:

Samus's roll. It's imperative for Ike players to be amazing at Punishing their opponents. I was able to find a good use for the f-tilt in catching players out of their roll.

As stated before, platform punishing. Up-tilts, Up smash's, i even got a couple of aethers in. ( I think this applies to any match, not just Samus).

Nair --> Jab --> Fair is possible at somewhat low to mid percentages and is quite effective.

Hope this helps somebody in their fights against Samus.

phat magik

Smash Rookie
Very good thread. Good to see you placing Marth reasonably. I haven't played a good Dedede yet so I can;t agree with you there but I have to agree with Snake being a **** near impossible matchup.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Im sure there are a lot of guide on here that want to be stickied! xD

The only one that I really like though is Kirk's. Only because I know the player, and he has many good vids against good people to bck him up.

Im just glad people are finding this useful. ^^

I Like Ike!

Smash Rookie
I am having a really hard time countering Sonic as Ike-I find myself unable to control Sonic in a comfortable distance without getting juggled consistently. Of course, it might have something to do with the final smashes my buddy keeps getting...

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
I am having a really hard time countering Sonic as Ike-I find myself unable to control Sonic in a comfortable distance without getting juggled consistently. Of course, it might have something to do with the final smashes my buddy keeps getting...
Well, Final Smashes tend to disrupt game balance. Sonic would normally have problems killing you, as he lacks high knockback attacks. Super Sonic, however, definitely does not have this problem.

If you like playing with item (or smashballs) my suggestion to getting to the ball first is using Aether (Up-B). Don't JUMP for the ball, AETHER the ball. This helps in two ways. One, Aether hits the balls without you needing to jump, and secondly, if your opponent happens to be in the path, it'll knock him outta the way, and decrease his chances of getting the ball.

Hope that helps. ^^

The Mediator

Smash Journeyman
Also, with Sonic, it's really easy to fend him off with short hop + Nair. It pretty much out-prioritizes everything Sonic has, and, if you time it right, Sonic's speed is pretty much null and void.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Sonic can GIMP aether with the spring. You gotta be careful cause if you don't use the SAF to endure the spring attack you're kind of finished if you cant jump again. I think that should be noted against sonic when using aether to recover.

Boolossus

Smash Ace
Umm, I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you about DK being an easy match-up, mostly because I main DK. I can't say exaclty why DK isn't easy for Ike, but Ike's don't tend to be that troublesome when I use DK.

nisuke

Smash Rookie
Umm, I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you about DK being an easy match-up, mostly because I main DK. I can't say exaclty why DK isn't easy for Ike, but Ike's don't tend to be that troublesome when I use DK.
Donkey Kong's b-air tends to be troublesome-enough that my ike has been easily edgeguarded without use of timed side-b or counter, and of those two methods, you're inevitably up for grabs as the side of the stage, again. i disagree that DK is easier to deal with compared to the other characters when using an ike.

though, i haven't found a DK player who's been able to escape ike's large aerial-hitboxes, in example of his n-air fast-fall hits.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Overcoming Wolf's laser is harder than i thought ._. Do you have any tips? I can't approach aerial, cause he uses side b and actually sweetspots me with it. i was defenseless that i started just dodging them repeatedly on ground cause what else could i do.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Obviously the two of you are just going to have to fight each other.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ike simply can't fight alot of the top tiers and high tiers.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Reread this until it sinks in no matter how painful it is.

He loses to MK.

He loses to Snake.

He loses to Falco.

He loses to Marth.

He loses to Wolf.

He loses to Toon Link.

He loses to Fox.

He loses to Dedede.

He loses to Zelda.

He loses to Diddy.

Pretty sure he loses to Wario.

He loses to Lucario.

He loses to Sheik.

Edit: I forgot Pit.

He loses to Pit.

Betaz

Smash Ace
i've played against every one of these...some good ones too this is how the matchups went for me
Reread this until it sinks in no matter how painful it is.

He loses to MK.sometimes

He loses to Snake.yes

He loses to Falco.no

He loses to Marth.maybe

He loses to Wolf.it's tough..but winnable

He loses to Toon Link.alot of the times...yes

He loses to Fox.yes

He loses to Dedede.no

He loses to Zelda.sometimes...if they camp over b alot

He loses to Diddy.no

Pretty sure he loses to Wario.hell no

He loses to Lucario.nope

He loses to Sheik.sometimes

Edit: I forgot Pit.YES

He loses to Pit.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
No. That's not how match-ups work at all.

You apply the best strats to the characters and compare their attributes for the match-up analysis.

How does Ike effectively deal with camping?

He does he deal with characters that have high speed and good range?

How does he deal with characters that can shut down the QDA?

The answer.

He loses.

Some of those matches are only 60/40, but some are far worse.

But rest assured, that Ike loses to all of those characters.

By lose I mean he is at disadvantage.

Top Bottom