• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Debunking the 35 character roster.

CapnJack

Smash Cadet
I know it's only a matter of days, if even that, before the truth comes out. But everyone is freaking out. Some people are claiming they won't buy the game, some people are insulting everyone else's intelligence, and ever since all these leaks by Reno and Co., everyone's been trying to kill each other.

I never believed any of it for a second. So, anyone who thinks the roster is a sham, let's try and prove that it really is fake. I made this thread because I didn't want this to get lost in a sea of posts in the "Japanese everything" thread.

Does anyone here have access to a Japan Brawl disc? I ask this all Wii discs are formatted more or less the same. This "leaked" one looks really sketchy, and I doubt it's legit, but I need proof. A few pictures of Super Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, and/or Super Paper Mario would be a great reference.

What's with all that writing on the right? That doesn't look like it would be on most discs. And it doesn't even look Japanese... Why is the picture so blurry? This person couldn't upload more pictures? If someone could post a few pictures of Japanese Wii discs, we could debunk the whole disc thing, thus the whole "starting roster", and the 35-character roster loses all credibility.

Help?

Any other ideas to debunk it would be great.

-------------------------------------

I hope JustABill doesn't mind my taking his post:

Rob 64 Statue? There goes that 35 character roster down the drain.
Fair enough! If ROB64 was a playable character, you'd win trophies through 1P mode.

That means ROB the accessory is the only thing left as an option. Well, that's not possible, either:

ROB is an enemy in SUBSPACE, where you can throw trophy stands at enemies to get their trophy. Follow? That means, Rob is a subspace trophy, which conflicts with classic mode trophies of characters!

Cue cornered music.
Do you believers still think your theory holds ground?

Limey

Smash Fan
BRoomer
On all of my Nintendo Wii games, the Nintendo logo is always on the bottom of the disk. The Wii logo is in the right place on the picture, though.

I have PAL games, though, so it may differ.

Maben

Smash Journeyman
It also seems odd that the "X" in the logo is a very dark, possibly black color. On all other images and promotions it is the normal reddish-orange that we are used to.

thetoastinator

Smash Apprentice
I agree. Also, did you notice all the "starters" arn't in their own franchise group?

For example,

Kirby, Meta Knight, and DDD arn't in anyway grouped up.
O_o

So fake it is funny. :laugh:

Fish on a Stick

Smash Cadet
What does the 35 roster rumor have to do with the 2ch leak rumor? I thought the 35 roster rumor was popularized by GoateBoate, Reno, Markman and PortraitofRuin, and the 2ch leak was just.. Some Japanese guy on 2ch. I don't understand how debunking that picture will debunk the 35 roster.

mezbomber

Smash Journeyman
this is probably the greatest cause one could ever get behind. I salute you, OP, for you are the most noble member of SWF right now.

theoryC

Smash Rookie
Whoever made that disk did so with an example sitting directly next to it so he could compare. Thus, you're not going to find any faults, especially when it's so blurry. The only evidence that it's fake is that there's only a pic of the disk. When I see clearly the open manual, then i might believe it's real.

Yeah, and ROB being in Brawl and Luigi not was a pretty rediculous claim from the beginning.

JPSChampagne

Smash Cadet
The 35 character roster, when filled out, actually makes perfect sense with the arrangement of characters on the 2ch screenshot. There are some very good mock-ups floating around here that explain it perfectly. If you were to debunk the screenshot, it may work a long way to debunking the 35 character roster - but the fact is, there's no debunking it.

It's the real roster, people. We all knew there would come a day with a legitimate leak, and this is it.

Corax The Cold

Smash Journeyman
yep, and as for the "its on a TV" argument, how hard is it to get a TV to display an image from your computer? or an image burned to a DVD?

CapnJack

Smash Cadet
It's the real roster, people. We all knew there would come a day with a legitimate leak, and this is it.
The only possible legimate leak I'm willing to accept is ChaosZero's dragoon parts. And, of course, Ness, Jigglypuff, Lucario confirmation.

It seems ever since Nintendo's leak from the Wii site, people are willing to believe anything.

@Matt_Silver: People like this are the reason I want to debunk the rumour ASAP.

theoryC

Smash Rookie
The 35 roster has in no way been debunked. The only thing that has been debunked is what characters the roster could potentially be composed of.

spindash

Smash Ace
The 35 roster has in no way been debunked. The only thing that has been debunked is what characters the roster could potentially be composed of.
Very true.

THIS 35 roster has been debunked. Y'never know if they do have another choice of a roster with 35 said characters.

mezbomber

Smash Journeyman
I think ROB is the real key to debunking this debacle. between Markman, Reno, PoR, Goateboat, and Chronobound, there seems to be some confusion on who's saying ROB64 (from starfox) and the accessory R.O.B.

I can't find all the people who have mentioned ROB, but which leakers are supporting which ROB?

It's like they had an elaborate hoax, but didn't get all their stories straight.

JayceMJ

Smash Apprentice
The 35 character roster, when filled out, actually makes perfect sense with the arrangement of characters on the 2ch screenshot. There are some very good mock-ups floating around here that explain it perfectly. If you were to debunk the screenshot, it may work a long way to debunking the 35 character roster - but the fact is, there's no debunking it.

[MARIO] [DONKE] [LINK.] [SAMUS] [KIRBY] [FOX..] [PIKAC] [DIDDY]
[ZELDA] [PIT..] [METAK] [POKET] [IKE..] [PEACH] [YOSHI] [ICECL]
........[DEDED] [BOWSE] [WARIO] [OLIMA] [LUCAS] [RANDO]........

[MARIO] [DONKE] [LINK.] [SAMUS] [KIRBY] [FOX..] [PIKAC]
[MARTH] [MRG&W]
[LUIGI] [DIDDY] [ZELDA] [PIT..] [METAK] [FALCO] [POKET] [IKE..] [SNAKE]
[PEACH] [YOSHI] [GANON] [ICECL] [DEDED] [LURIO] [NESS.] [SONIC] [BOWSE]
[WARIO]
[TOONL] [R.O.B] [OLIMA] [CAPFA] [LUCAS] [WOLF.] [JIGGS] [RANDO]

This is what the leaked roster really looks like. Move Wolf after Dedede, swap ROB and Captian Flacon, and swap Jiggs with Lucas and you have the mocked up roster.

This means that if the text leak is true there might be a possibility he hasn't unlocked everything to make them all aligned. It's all a question whether people are calling the picture the real one or the text leak. Either way they do contradict each other.

Also need to point this out. Useing trends from previous games does NOT debunk anything.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Haven't we got enough proof to show neither R.O.B could be playable yet for you sad little believers? The roster is WRONGGGG.

Silfa

Smash Ace
Also, this 'confirmed' roster leaves one of the icons not updated on the Dojo.

The first G&W would take, but that still leaves another one and for all we know, there could be icons #23, #24, etc.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Well...I wish you all the best of luck in your endeavors. Can't say I wouldn't like this to be debunked, but... well, just good luck to you all.

CapnJack

Smash Cadet
Very true.

THIS 35 roster has been debunked. Y'never know if they do have another choice of a roster with 35 said characters.
It's possible that there are 35 characters in the game. However, that's merely a rumour, and debunking any part of it means that there could be any number of characters.

I just want people to stop panicking. There's more than enough evidence that ROB isn't playable, thus, there is room for other compelling, relevant characters.

Sakurai added ROB in SSE as an homage to Nintendo fans - he wouldn't go so far as to make ROB a character!

Mr. Ocax

Smash Journeyman
Well lets think if ROB isn't playable that means Markman, Reno, Potrait or Ruin, and Goatboat are complete liars, and those "prophets" were the ones you based all of your support on. So now your 35 character roster support is now back only to Nyas who only predicted the Sonic revealing which anyone could because there was a big event. The only legit seeming prophet the only guy who actually predicted something accurately that would have been normally impossible to predict was the guy who predicted the Dragoon and HE doesn't support the 35 character roster. What is your backup now?

theoryC

Smash Rookie
First off, your 35 roster doesn't have Luigi. That should be more than enough to cause serious doubts. Second, the only part of the two rosters that match up are the first 7 slots in the top row. 7 out of 35. That's not terribly convincing. Yes, I know slots can move around as you unlock characters, but they don't move that much.

Maben

Smash Journeyman
First off, your 35 roster doesn't have Luigi. That should be more than enough to cause serious doubts. Second, the only part of the two rosters that match up are the first 7 slots in the top row. 7 out of 35. That's not terribly convincing. Yes, I know slots can move around as you unlock characters, but they don't move that much.
I mean...I feel like I have to at least step in here and say that it does in fact include our green italian friend.

Revven

FrankerZ
Sakurai added ROB in SSE as an homage to Nintendo fans - he wouldn't go so far as to make ROB a character!
You don't know Sakurai then, R.O.B appeared in MKDS as a playable so I don't see why he wouldn't be playable in Brawl either other than people like yourselves believing "OMGZ R.O.B CAN:T FIGHT WHAT"S WRONG WITH U SKRAIIIII!!!!!"

Also, trophies & stickers =/= deconfirmation of a character. Ganondorf trophy from Melee before release would like you to know that he was in Melee anyway despite having a trophy! Also, remember, there can be different versions of a character for trophies. Ice Climbers having an 8-bit trophy in Melee would like to let you know this. In fact, everyone in Melee had 3 trophies each and each one was different, Classic, being their retro looks. R.O.B could very well have two trophies, one being of R.O.B Squad and one being him as a PC.

At the end of the day, it's your choice to believe what's right. If you don't want to believe this roster, that's fine. But, when this roster is confirmed, specifically, then you will only be facing the inevitable of anger and disappointment (ala the Melee leak which happened the same way people!)

Stop trying to debunk this before the game is out and wait out another week. You'll have your apples next week, stop being impatient and trying to debunk something without actual proof of it being a debunk. (Trophies again don't debunk anything).

theoryC

Smash Rookie
I mean...I feel like I have to at least step in here and say that it does in fact include our green italian friend.
Yeah, that was me being stupid. >_>

CapnJack

Smash Cadet
You don't know Sakurai then, R.O.B appeared in MKDS
Bad argument, buddy. What did he do in MKDS? He sat in a kart. They didn't have to rethink a new way for a slow-moving robot that can hardly turn left and right to fight. Seriously, how could ROB even jump?

Also, trophies & stickers =/= deconfirmation of a character.
Trophies do, in this case. There are only so many ROBs to choose from. There's retro ROB, and there's ROB64. Beyond that, there really isn't anywhere else you can go with him. I don't like your "ROB squad" vs. "single ROB" argument because it just doesn't seem reasonable. How would single ROB be any different, aside from there being less of him?

But, when this roster is confirmed, specifically, then you will only be facing the inevitable of anger and disappointment (ala the Melee leak which happened the same way people!)
Sucks for me. But I highly doubt it.

Stop trying to debunk this before the game is out and wait out another week. You'll have your apples next week, stop being impatient and trying to debunk something without actual proof of it being a debunk. (Trophies again don't debunk anything).
Trying to debunk means I'm gathering all the evidence I can get. I don't have any DEFINITE evidence, but to my advantage, neither do the people who believe in this crap. Besides, this isn't about me being impatient. This is really one big message:

YE OF LITTLE FAITH, WAIT 'TIL THE GAME IS RELEASED BEFORE CALLING DOOM AND GLOOM. SAKURAI KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING. CHILL OUT.

teh internetz is a seriuse playse.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
It's not just trophies that disconfirm ROB64, it's trophies gathered from a minigame instead of completing the main game that disconfirms ROB64.

Also, a very nice article which may or may not be real:

http://brawlcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1727

Even though the posibility exists it may not be real, it does have a valid point on why ROB accessory does not work.

JayceMJ

Smash Apprentice
Trophies do, in this case. There are only so many ROBs to choose from. There's retro ROB, and there's ROB64. Beyond that, there really isn't anywhere else you can go with him. I don't like your "ROB squad" vs. "single ROB" argument because it just doesn't seem reasonable. How would single ROB be any different, aside from there being less of him?
Like I said NO TREND FROM THE PREVIOUS GAMES DEBUNKS ANYTHING IN BRAWL. The only things that debunk anyone in brawl right now is Sakurai telling you and Assist Trophies (since it was specificly said in the update that these characters are in as Assists because they couldn't make it in the final cut of the roster). Nothing else disconfirms anything in brawl.

Revven

FrankerZ
Bad argument, buddy. What did he do in MKDS? He sat in a kart. They didn't have to rethink a new way for a slow-moving robot that can hardly turn left and right to fight. Seriously, how could ROB even jump?
R.O.B could jump by using the little jets he has (ala the one R.O.B Squad screen). Sorta like Samus' jets in Melee on her back (except she can actually jump, but, that's beside the point). Also, I was using the MKDS argument as an example of putting R.O.B into a popular game like Mario Kart. It doesn't matter about how he works, it matters that he's an obscure character and was put into a popular title before and was liked. Perhaps (if R.O.B is a PC) Sakura felt it would garner the same response in Brawl. Mr. G&W

Trying to debunk means I'm gathering all the evidence I can get. I don't have any DEFINITE evidence, but to my advantage, neither do the people who believe in this crap. Besides, this isn't about me being impatient. This is really one big message:

YE OF LITTLE FAITH, WAIT 'TIL THE GAME IS RELEASED BEFORE CALLING DOOM AND GLOOM. SAKURAI KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING. CHILL OUT.

teh internetz is a seriuse playse.
Fair enough.

And, it's not "seriuse playse" it's serious business, sir. ;)

CapnJack

Smash Cadet
Like I said NO TREND FROM THE PREVIOUS GAMES DEBUNKS ANYTHING IN BRAWL.
Fortunately, I'm not trying to deny anything in Brawl. :grin:

I'm not using "trends", either. I'm using logic. Trophies work the same way. The ones you get from the multiple 1P modes are different than the ones you collect in game. However, why would they add YET ANOTHER trophy for playable characters, when each already gets at least three?

Come off it. It's really a stretch to believe in ROB as a playable character.

R.O.B could jump by using the little jets he has (ala the one R.O.B Squad screen). Sorta like Samus' jets in Melee on her back (except she can actually jump, but, that's beside the point). Also, I was using the MKDS argument as an example of putting R.O.B into a popular game like Mario Kart. It doesn't matter about how he works, it matters that he's an obscure character and was put into a popular title before and was liked. Perhaps (if R.O.B is a PC) Sakura felt it would garner the same response in Brawl. Mr. G&W
This is a fair argument. It's possible, but I doubt it. I think Sakurai knows what fans want. G&W was very successful. I doubt Nintendo would even want ROB in Brawl.

And, it's not "seriuse playse" it's serious business, sir. ;)
**** it. Need moar sleep.

/me leaves.

Basmothel

Smash Cadet
I remember when Melee was leaked, people said no way Game and Watch was playable and wondered why we got "Roy Koopa."

:D

I'm not saying anything for or against any roster until I see proof anymore, but just, ya know, throwing this in.

And chracters playable not getting trophies? Vacumn Luigi in Melee. And Bowser is certainly going to be a boss in SSE and you can get boss trophies, so Bowser obviously isn't playable since you can get a SSE trophy of him and other bosses... http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/modea/images/modea11/modea11_071226h-l.jpg

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
Yeah, dude...elaborate fake, it seems. Plus, I have no idea how anyone would know there were 35 characters unless they unlocked everything. Any roster without Ridley and has any additional newcomers added to the DOJO is fake. Trust me.

Crushed

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, dude...elaborate fake, it seems. Plus, I have no idea how anyone would know there were 35 characters unless they unlocked everything. Any roster without Ridley and has any additional newcomers added to the DOJO is fake. Trust me.
lol

just lol

Man, ROB was in freaking Mario Kart DS. They got Captain Falcon to work in Smash Bros., a character who's never been outside of a car in any other game. Seriously, if you think they couldn't get ROB to work... you're insane.

Top Bottom