• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rutgers NJ Free Entry Tournament Friday Jan 25th

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Delta Sigma Phi Gaming Convention Presents
Super Smash Brothers: Melee Tournament

When: Friday January 25th 6:30 P.M. to 12:30 A.M.
Where: Rutgers University Busch Campus
604 Bartholomew Rd.
Piscataway NJ 08854 "3 minutes away from my house!" [/unimportant info]
How: Cause I said so! Friendlies and casuals may begin at 3:00 P.M.

Pre-register here: http://eden.rutgers.edu/~avinator/dsp//gcn/prereg.php

Awwww snap!! Central Jersey tournament @ Rutgers on a Friday night!! Take that NYC weeklies!! Jk jk. Let's get it OOooooOONnn!!1

This is a SSBM singles and doubles tournament with MLG rules:

Pools:
  • Pools matches are best 2 of 3
  • 3 stock
  • 6 minute time limit
  • All General rules apply to pool matches, including Advanced Slob Picks, Dave's Stupid Rule, Double Blind picks, and stage banning.
  • Your ranking within your pool will be determined by the number of sets you win.

Brackets:

• Best of 2 of 3
  • 4 Stock
  • 8 minute time limit
  • Best of 5 for Winners finals and Losers finals

Stages:
  • Singles Neutral: Final Destination, Dream Land 64, Fountain of Dreams, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Pokemon Stadium
  • Singles counterpicks: all Singles Neutral stages plus Pokefloats, Rainbow Cruise, Jungle Japes, Kongo Jungle 64, Mute City, Brinstar, Green Greens, Corneria
  • Doubles Neutral: Final Destination, Dream Land 64, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Pokemon Stadium, Kongo Jungle 64.
  • Doubles counterpicks: all Doubles Neutrals plus Pokefloats, Rainbow Cruise, Jungle Japes, Brinstar, Green Greens, Corneria.
  • Things to note: Fountain of Dreams and Mute City are banned for doubles; Kongo Jungle 64 on Doubles Neutral.

Prizes: Still being determined but a Nintendo Wii or money is thought of for 1st place thusfar.

Gaming Convention Website: http://eden.rutgers.edu/~avinator/dsp//gcn/ssbm.php
More rules there.

Planned attendies:

Keitaro
Eazy
Teh Spamerer
Doyoung2win
Yes!
Mog287 "I think"
Tec0
dmbrandon
Oorah Kabra
DC Scribs
Pocky D
Ken34
Vanz
Inui
DeathKnight
Ame
CopyCat
Scar
Yayo
Sensei
+ 50 other registered unknown pokemon!

I'll put anyone on the list who plans on coming just say. Also, if possible bring set-ups since set-ups always makes things better even there should already be a fair amount. Hope to see ya'll there.

Cheezit

Smash Ace
I may come ^^ i kinda need to visit and my friends go there so i'll probably stay the night or something and play lots of smash.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
I'm all about this! Who wants to team??

Edit: Oh! I have a car now, so I can drive people, if needed. jfox? :D

Keitaro

Btw people, there will be at least 50 other smashers there besides us SWF members so there's gonna be alot of of compition there whether good or not.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
I went last year, and Do won. there were a few good players, but overall, the SWF players were dominant.

NF Alex

Smash Journeyman
Just a random stupid question, do I have to be a student at Rutgers to be able to participate? If not then I should be able to go. :lick:

Oorah-Kabra

Smash Journeyman
Oh I am so there!!

Only thing is i might not stay the entire time being that Cot2 is the next day... Whatever, though, its free so YEAH!!

NF Alex

Smash Journeyman
I pre-registered a few days ago but I never got an email confirmation like they said I would.. Is it possible that they didn't get my registration, or have they just not been able to respond yet? Just making sure.

Keitaro

I pre-registered a few days ago but I never got an email confirmation like they said I would.. Is it possible that they didn't get my registration, or have they just not been able to respond yet? Just making sure.
Yeah, just about everyone was saying they didn't get an email but after you preregistered I'm pretty sure your fine. I'll check on it.

Cia

das kwl
dayummm slikviks old.. lolz

also, this is my first time seeing the thread and my name's on the confirmed list. does this mean I'm pre-registered??

also, anyone want money matches?? team money matches??

Keitaro

dayummm slikviks old.. lolz

also, this is my first time seeing the thread and my name's on the confirmed list. does this mean I'm pre-registered??

also, anyone want money matches?? team money matches??
Oh no, it doesn't mean you pre-registered. Just means imma beast at stalking around the boards noticing people who said they'd come and put them on the possibly coming list.

Example is CopyCat who asked me if there will be teams at the tourney "which I answered yes" and now he's on the possibly coming list. In other words, both you and CopyCat will still need to pre-register.

Scar

#HarveyDent
I will most likely be going to this. I'll probably take Yayo with me.

Edit: If I do, I'd want to arrive at maybe noon on Friday? Is there anyone who can house me and Yayo / play Smash with us between 12:00 and 6:30?

Edit2: I need a teammate. CopyCat? SlikVik? Vanz? Anyone?

D

Deleted member

Definitely interested in going, just gotta figure out a ride for my friend and I... I don't know who's gonna drive us back at 12:30 though, so we're probably leaving before that...

pockyD

Smash Legend
scar i'll team with you.... !?

and if not, i need a teammate too

very rusty and bad at teams to begin with!

edit: also can i get some info on parking? (hopefully free)

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
edit: also can i get some info on parking? (hopefully free)
parking is free if you hide your car...there's a dorm complex called Davidson and behind it is a parking lot the cops don't check...otherwise if you leave it out where people usually see it, it might get ticketed :( Davidson is on Davidson Road, which is directly across Busch Campus Center (about 1/4 mile away)

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
25 or 50 :( but the location i said before is safe from cops though. my friends park there all the time and never get ticketed.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
I'm definitely coming, and I'm bringing like... 7 people.

We'll all play smash, but our focus is halo3. That and I think I have a decent chance with teams. >_>

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

DCScribZ

Smash Apprentice
Aw, 3 stock pools. Boo hiss.

Oh well, this is a stark difference from last year's Delta Sigma Phi tourney that had single elimination, one match sets, and you couldn't use your own controller... And I had to play Doyoung in the first match. -_- (Since I won, it wasn't all bad, but it sucked for Do; and then it sucked for me when I played him in the second match of the second tourney and lost.)

Suffice to say, these improvements are awesome - I can't wait. ^_^

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Aw, 3 stock pools. Boo hiss.
I don't think they are doing pools. They just copy/pasted the mlg rules. They're probably going to do brackets.

Also scribz we gotta rematch that was too good of a match we had in the last RU tourney to not have one again :)

And to anyone who's driving here see what I advised pocky to do about parking cuz getting a ticket sucks.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
I just got word of the prizes:

smash- pre order in full for brawl.
NO TEAMS! Sorry guys.

Halo3: Gamer seats?

and GH3: A guitar.

Keitaro

Hmm.... 10 minute walk to venue or drive 2 to 3 minutes? Hmmm.... I'm lucky.

Yeah so I hear there's no doubles which sucks but I don't care cause doubles is like my practice for singles half the time.

OOOORAAAHHH!!! Show me your mo..... oh wait..... I mean

DC SCRIIIIIIBSSS!! Show me your moves!!

pockyD

Smash Legend
someone be frank with me and tell me - is this worth my time? (be serious plz)

setups seem to be a problem (you're asking people to bring them), and yet there will already be other games going on simultaneously, which in my mind eats away at the number of smash setups. given that the tournament itself is going to be mediocre (straight double-elim at best, right?), I want to be assured a good number of friendlies, and 10 people per smash TV won't ensure that

I'm already not feeling 100% (still jet-lagged and also recovering from epic diarrhea lolz) so I need someone to be honest and tell me if I should drive an hour to this, not as a tournament promoter but as my fr-fr-friend

Top Bottom