• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Sakurai is Doing: An Essay Regarding the Possibilty of Multi-Dimensional Tiers

Banned via Administration
What Sakurai is Doing: An Essay Regarding the Possibilty of Multi-Dimensional Tiers
Version 2.0

Prelude: I'd like it to be known that I do not fully agree with sakurai and what he's doing but this is what I see him to be doing.

*WARNING*
Do not read this if:
-You do not believe in tiers.
-You do not accept that brawl is less technical than melee.

I don't have time for your comments if that's what you believe and I will ignore your post.

Ok, so there are three smash bros games. For each game you can see a rather visible progression of Sakurai's ideas and intentions being put into a game.

Smash bros 64

This game is VERY basic. The entire game can be summarized down to two basic ideas.

#1 The characters are roughly the same in terms of movement (due to same fall speed and near same running speed), but their moves are different.
#2 There is nearly 0 DI, so a character's move-set can be ranked very accurately in terms of worth based on what combos the character possess due to that move-set.

This translated to a tier list that was very polarized. Kirby/Pikachu were quite clearly amazing while characters like link and dk were quite clearly terrible. This is all due to the only major difference being move-set. Although isai was able to make all of the characters amazing with platform cancelling no one else has even come close to what hes able to do.

Smash bros melee

This game is where Sakurai took 64 to a whole new level and tried to introduce more character diversity (despite the addition of clones). He did this by making vague character types, by manipulating the character's size, weight, and speed properties, rather than just the move-set. Here is a rough idea of what he was GOING for.

#1 There are 3 basic type of characters: Power, Speed, and Control characters. Each type reflects different playstyles. Certain types of characters are more inclined to win against different character types. For reference: Power beats speed, speed beats control, and control beats power. It's rock, paper, scissors. There also was an increased variability of defensive techniques and defensive flaws. Some people's recovery became incredibly good and some incredibly bad (not different from 64, but there was still a lot more in-between rather than simply having defense be a measure of how good their upb was). The shield was changed so that certain character's shields were terrible.
#2 There is a good amount of DI, so combos are much more specific and MOST of the time done on the fly.
#3 There are more advanced techs.

This is what happened wrong. Sakurai wanted to balance certain characters he felt lacking by giving them certain moves that had traits of other character types. this is a perfectly fine idea and is how you balance a game. For example, fox's usmash is one of the strongest moves in the game, yet he is one of the fastest characters. Sakurai thought without this kill move option he would not be good enough. He did this for many characters. But what happened he couldn't expect. We took his game and broke his intentional balance changes by abusing many cancels and exploits (like wd and jump-cancelling, etc) that were found to be in the game. So what happened is:

#1 You had types of characters that were doing EVERYTHING, not just their intended playstyle. You had speed characters that were able to move even faster, had great control, and had crazy power. An example is fox. He is super fast, can control using the shine, and has crazy strong kill moves including usmash and uair. You had control characters like shiek being so strong and fast that she became top tier. The advanced techs were meant to increase depth, which they did, but increased the depth for only these hybrid, amazing characters. A good indication, in this game, of how good a character is is how easy it can gimp, or rather kill at a low percent. If it can gimp, then it is most likely a hybrid character.
#2 You had types of characters that did NOTHING, not even their intended playstyle. You had power characters like bowser become absolutely useless because his strength wasn't even close to as good as fox's, when you look at it as a speed : power ratio.

for those people who dont understand the attributes and what they mean by now:
-speed = the overall ability to move fast and attack fast. This is governed by running speed, wd length, dash dance length, startup time, lag, and fall speed.
-power = the character's overall killing ability. This is ultimately how strong their moves are, but also applies to gimp ko's, such as shine ko's or spikes. This also includes guaranteed combos.
-control = the ability to prevent the opponent from doing what they want and the ability to force them to do what you want. The most common way of doing this is ranged moves and grabs, but applies to makeshift combos as well (consecutive hits), that only occur because the character was able to put them into such a bad situation.
-defense = the ability to prevent you from being hit and/or dieing. This includes but is not limited to your recovery, your weight, your fall speed, your shield size, your dodge speed, your air dodge speed, your roll speed, etc. (defense is not apart of the rock-paper-scissors system, but is important to measure because certain characters ARE lower on the tier list simply because their defense is so terrible and the opposite is true as well)
It's a 2 dimensional graph, really.
The dimensions are, power, control, defense, and speed and a characters effectiveness/worth is its area. Thus the tier list is a ranking of areas. Character's area can change by changing the different rankings. Shiek used to have the most area, and thus worth, but now fox does. How did this happen?

-player picks up character x
-player uses a move that EVERYONE has access to but uses it differently and better than before
-player does better in tournaments
-people notice
-tier graph is changed

now the question is, what KIND of move was changed? was it a grab? the fsmash? a wierd b move? all of those moves can be classified to strong, fast, or control. so what we would essentially do is give the character a better ranking IN THE AREA THAT WAS IMPROVED due to someone using a move better.

Hypothetical brawl example:

-we figure out a **** use for dedede's downb
-we increase his power rating
-his overall AREA of his graph goes up, and therefore he moves up on the tier list

or a melee example:

-we learn that mewtwo can use his upb to teleport around with near 0 lag
-we increase his defense rating
-his overall AREA of his graph goes up, although only slightly, possibly increasing his tier position (although for some reason we have pichu above him :/)

another melee example:

-fox players (mainly the ec style) started getting very good and started learning how to control their characters very well and precisely (like m2k, kdj, etc).
-Fox's control and speed ranking go up
-his overall AREA of his graph goes up, and therefore he moves up on the tier list

now the ratings dont have to have a limit, they just have to reflect how MUCH of a distance character x is to character y in that type. So we have COMPLETE control over what values characters get, and as long as we make the ratios proper we won't have a problem.

Smash bros brawl

This time sakurai realized that the advanced techs destroyed his balance, and created a game of 5 characters. So what did he do in brawl:

#1 Made the fast characters weaker (example: fox)
#2 Made the strong characters stronger (example: ike, bowser)
#3 Added superarmor for the heavy characters (example: ike, bowser)
#4 Made the control characters control better but kill worse (example: metaknight)
#5 Increased the effect of DI, only increasing the favorability towards strength characters for balance.
#6 Increased the recovery of most characters.
#7 Almost all advanced techs that we KNOW OF have been removed or dumbed down (made automatic or super easy) in order to keep tighter control on the balance.

So this is how the tier list is gonna be. There's going to be a few broken characters, like melee, on the top. I predict peach and ice climbers. From then on the difference in worth of characters will become progressively smaller. Most characters, if ranked, will be grouped into mid or high tier and only a handful are bottom tier quality. But the most important part of the tier list is that it will be more 2 dimensional. I'm not happy that the game is less technical. I'm personally against that as you can easily balance a game WITH more advanced techs, but sakurai realizes that it would be much too hard for him to do as he'd have to keep track of tournaments and actually attend if he wanted to see the game evolve and try to balance it with tournaments in mind. And I completely understand that.

So maybe it might be better to have the tier list be 2 dimensional, rather than 1, in order to show how effective a character is at what it does as well as how good it is OVERALL like the current tier list does? It'd look like quadrilaterals and would be weird at first but is better than what we are using for melee as I think the REAL measurement will be “how effective is this character at doing TRAIT X” where TRAIT X = power, speed, defense, or control. This game will be much more about strategy and counterpicks than melee EVER was.

It also supports the idea that extreme characters dont get a high amount of area and therefore worth. If you stretch a quadrilateral only using one vertex you will get a very thin quadrilateral which has a very small area. however if you stretch it by less on each vertex you will get more area. this translates to "a character that is only good in one thing is not very good overall". and i think this holds true for melee as a real world observation. fox's area is VERY HIGH because all of his factors are "stretched". whereas bowser, who is pretty strong, overall stronger than fox, has much less area because his speed and control ratings are so low.

Here's an example of such, with fabricated "guess" values:

Continuing with this idea, what if these 2d tier graphs could be plotted when you and your partner select your characters for teams. The objective MIGHT be for the perect team to try and cover the most free space with your character object. this means that characters who were really good at control and decent on speed would work perfectly with a character that was terrible at control but has decent speed and is very strong. those characters would fit perfectly together both on the graph and in the actual game because the control character would help set up for heavy hits. if you think about it this idea of 2d tier graphs could REVOLUTIONIZE how we predict matchup wins down to a scientific formula. we could observe patterns between what set of tier space their tier object inhabits and how well that type of space does against an opposite side of tier space, or any other location for that matter. this is applicable for both teams AND singles.

This is an open hypothetical question, but what if you could find the center of mass of a character's object and measure the distance of it to another character's object's center of mass and figure out either an positive or negative relationship. Either the closer they are the closer the matchup or the farther they are the more **** the matchup. Which way the **** is "going" is dependent on what kind of space the character objects occupy. if it's a control type then the general prediction is the farther away a control type object's center of mass is to a power character's center of mass the better the control character would do. so the top tier characters that excell everywhere, their center of mass will be very close no matter what type of character they face.

for that matter, should this center of mass be called a "tier coordinate"?

I will be heading up a Tier Council that will start to experiment with this by adding values and changing formulas till we get a conclusive or inconclusive “it works”, “it doesn't work”, or “it might work”. If you would like to be apart of the council send me a pm or aim me, however it is usually invite only so don't expect much.

The Tier Council
Juke
BigD
Mookierah
Crashman

Glossary
Trait = Speed, power, control, and defense. Each trait encompasses many elements of the game and can be looked up earlier in the essay.
Tier Graph = The graph that shows how well a character does by measuring the 4 traits of a character.
Tier Object / Character Object = The quadrilateral that shows a character's stats on a Tier Graph.
Tier Space = The space on the Tier Graph
Tier Value = The area of a character's Tier Object. Compiling a list of these values and ordering them would create a 1d tier list like we have now.
Tier Coordinate = The center of mass of a Tier Object. May have uses later, but for now is completely theoretical in its application.

BraveDave88

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, very thought provoking.

In my mind, Melee was grossly unbalanced in favor of what you call "Speed" characters. The tier list is a fairly undeniable fact: fast characters = higher tier. I main Ganondorf, fully acknowledging that even a decent Fox player could wipe the floor with me. Ganondorf suits my play style, thats why I use him. I don't do the speedy character thing as well, but in Melee it seems as if you're forced into doing it just to survive in real, serious competitive play.

It's my sincere hope that Brawl fixes that, I'll be happy even if that was the only gameplay change that was made. It looks like we've taken a step in the right direction with the long overdue ner***e of Fox, here's hoping we'll get a few more balances as well.

Digital Angel

Smash Journeyman
Your summary sounds reasonably well thought out but it's hard to evaluate as I'm not that familar with competition in fighting games. I hope what you say is true for brawl, the more balanced this game ends up being the better, it's a long shot for it to be greatly balanced as something always falls through the cracks but we can hope.

Also, what exactly is DI? It seems to be how fast or what hidden attributes that are hard to measure such as speed, etc but again i'm really not sure. I have an idea and I hear people throwing the term around alot but I never had a chance to get into competitive melee smash so I am unfamilar with many of the abbreviations.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Its uh.. Very deep and interesting. I usually don't believe in tiers.. But if its more like a balance chart. Showing whos faster, stronger, or more balanced that would be an interesting list to see.

-Onyx

Hmm, very thought provoking.

In my mind, Melee was grossly unbalanced in favor of what you call "Speed" characters. The tier list is a fairly undeniable fact: fast characters = higher tier. I main Ganondorf, fully acknowledging that even a decent Fox player could wipe the floor with me. Ganondorf suits my play style, thats why I use him. I don't do the speedy character thing as well, but in Melee it seems as if you're forced into doing it just to survive in real, serious competitive play.

It's my sincere hope that Brawl fixes that, I'll be happy even if that was the only gameplay change that was made. It looks like we've taken a step in the right direction with the long overdue ner***e of Fox, here's hoping we'll get a few more balances as well.
it wasn't that sakurai favored speed characters, he just thought they might be a joke if they were all weak attacks, so he gave a few strong moves. unfortunately he didn't anticipate what was going to happen.

Your summary sounds reasonably well thought out but it's hard to evaluate as I'm not that familar with competition in fighting games. I hope what you say is true for brawl, the more balanced this game ends up being the better, it's a long shot for it to be greatly balanced as something always falls through the cracks but we can hope.

Also, what exactly is DI? It seems to be how fast or what hidden attributes that are hard to measure such as speed, etc but again i'm really not sure. I have an idea and I hear people throwing the term around alot but I never had a chance to get into competitive melee smash so I am unfamilar with many of the abbreviations.
DI = directional influence

in general, the more DI there is in the game the harder it is to combo and the easier it is to survive at higher %'s

Its uh.. Very deep and interesting. I usually don't believe in tiers.. But if its more like a balance chart. Showing whos faster, stronger, or more balanced that would be an interesting list to see.

-Onyx
dont have time for these kind of posts. this is an example of what NOT to post plz, thx.

Digital Angel

Smash Journeyman
Well, I don't think tiers are really a matter of belief. They exist, tiers is only a label for them. To make a completely balanced in-depth fighting game would be impossible by human means as far too many variables exist to upset balance. To say there isn't tiers is to say that every character has an equal chance against every other character assuming equal skill levels, that is a very hard position to defend.

Well, I don't think tiers are really a matter of belief. They exist, tiers is only a label for them. To make a completely balanced in-depth fighting game would be impossible by human means as far too many variables exist to upset balance. To say there isn't tiers is to say that every character has an equal chance against every other character assuming equal skill levels, that is a very hard position to defend.
that's why i said i dont have time for people like that. now plz move on this is not a DO TIRES EXITS thread.

Wrath`

Smash Master
wow I never thought of it like this, hmm i still think tier don't exist, and this kinda proves and disproves, but then you said this has nothing to do with teirs, intersting none the less

wow I never thought of it like this, hmm i still think tier don't exist, and this kinda proves and disproves, but then you said this has nothing to do with teirs, intersting none the less
plz do not post in here again. your ignorance fouls this thread.

Digital Angel

Smash Journeyman
that's why i said i dont have time for people like that. now plz move on this is not a DO TIRES EXITS thread.
Dude, I posted right after you okay. I obviously didn't see your post, there's no need to be offensive about it, you're not going to encourage people to post in your topics if you're like that. I get your point and that's not where I was steering the topic anyway. If anything it may keep the other five idiots from coming in here and saying some **** about it.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Well its not like I'm some king of Smash. I'm not as smart as most of you in here Smash wise. I wanted to tell you to did a good job with all of this and then what do I get?

-Onyx

Kittah4

Smash Ace
plz do not post in here again. your ignorance fouls this thread.
You see? You take the time to write an interesting read, then your elitism makes you inaccessable and hard to like. It's not just presenting the facts, it's having to have a stuffy attitude about anyone who's going against your point of you.

You COULD simply ignore anyone who posts anything outside your narrow field of acceptance, but instead you are attacking everyone. This is why people like you are disliked.

You see? You take the time to write an interesting read, then your elitism makes you inaccessable and hard to like. It's not just presenting the facts, it's having to have a stuffy attitude about anyone who's going against your point of you.

You COULD simply ignore anyone who posts anything outside your narrow field of acceptance, but instead you are attacking everyone. This is why people like you are disliked.
being angry about the fact that it is 2008 and there are STILL people who think tiers dont exist is hardly elitist. being elitist would be never posting my ideas and only sharing them with people i know can handle complex thoughts.

Digital Angel

Smash Journeyman
being angry about the fact that it is 2008 and there are STILL people who think tiers dont exist is hardly elitist. being elitist would be never posting my ideas and only sharing them with people i know can handle complex thoughts.
It's called the ignore button dude, quit your whining.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
I say tiers do exist but I don't live by them. I know some characters have advantages over others and I play with whomever I want to play with.

-Onyx

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
However, you being rude did crap up your own thread. Ignore next time.

On-topic!: So do you think that, without all the advanced techs and more DI, and more focus on each character's particular attribute strengths, that Brawl will have the rock-paper-scissors quality that you think Sakurai in Melee?

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
^Seconding Kittah. You're still an arrogant assmonkey, and no matter how much logic you talk, being a jerk still means you need to get back under the bridge.

I also find Sakurai's method of balancing a GOOD thing. It only seems like the obvious thing to do (Gimp strong moves, power characters should actually HAVE their power), and once again the so called "removal" of advance techniques does not narrow the gap between nooblets and pros.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
How can tiers not exist, there are always going to be characters that are generally better than other characters? With that out of the way..

As far as the post goes, did you not expect Sakurai to remove some of the advanced techniques? I mean, most were kept if I am not mistaken, and are not automatic, just different (for example I have read accounts of the new Lcancel being both harder and easier, although I don't really see how it's harder...).

Things that I think were overlooked in your post:

1. The fact the removed advanced techniques were either unintentional or they did not work out the way Sakurai intended.
2. There will be future advanced techniques, no game is perfect, and in the time played at E for All, one new possible advanced technique was already discovered.
3. Why is a more balanced game not more interesting? I suppose it could be balanced with more advanced techniques, but considering the most abused techniques were generally regarded as the unintentional ones, why would he add on to that area of the game if he felt that is where the problem was.

Look how many years it took Melee to reach it's peak, Sakurai would have to put an awful lot of extra testing in prior to release to add more advanced techniques to balance the game, especially if they were to be considered true "Advanced Techniques." I'd rather the game be in development for two and a half years, not four and a half. That is just my opinion on it though.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
You attacked three people on the first page of your thread alone. "This guy needs to calm down".

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
I like your idea here, and I also noticed this trend.
However, I would not think that Sakurai intentionally added Wave Dashing, otherwise it wouldn't have taken years to become a popular, and advanced, move.

Also, since we do have some techniques already confirmed(Wave Landing, L Cancels, Float Cancels, etc.), we can expect that its complete utilization of those techniques that will determine the Over All Metagame in Brawl, as well as tier placement.

Reports of Peaches DSmash being nerfed, and all of her other Smashes/Tilts/Throws being buffed, as well as the remaining of Float cancels, its very likely Peach will be the highest tier character.

I do expect there to be some advanced move related to Gliding, as well as some other unique things, like Pit's B^ with his little wings.

Although I completely agree Brawl APPEARS less technical, I suppose it would be in the Metagame's best interest not to write it off just yet, until everything is crucially examined.

-DD

GoldenS1104

Smash Journeyman
I agree with the original post, but there's no reason to be an ***hole to everyone in this thread. It's a forum, people are allowed to have their own opinions. Not to mention the guy I quoted above agreed with your opinion yet you still trashed him. If you're going to post on the internet you have to have a high tolerance for stupidity, so to be going off on people for no reason is ridiculous. And I don't care that I'm going off topic because you don't deserve the courtesy of a relevant response.

^Seconding Kittah. You're still an arrogant assmonkey, and no matter how much logic you talk, being a jerk still means you need to get back under the bridge.

I also find Sakurai's method of balancing a GOOD thing. It only seems like the obvious thing to do (Gimp strong moves, power characters should actually HAVE their power), and once again the so called "removal" of advance techniques does not narrow the gap between nooblets and pros.
thats why you are a scrub.
FACT = there was a heavy removal of technical aspects of this game.
FACT = you should qq more about internet posting style

this is why i said i didnt want to hear from people like this. ignorance doesnt help discussion it destroys it.

Wow.

You only want people who agree with you to post? Whats the fun of that?
a good analogy is you cant talk to someone who believes in creationism. if someone has gone out of their way to believe in something like creationism there really is no way of persuading them to believe in evolution.

How can tiers not exist, there are always going to be characters that are generally better than other characters? With that out of the way..

As far as the post goes, did you not expect Sakurai to remove some of the advanced techniques? I mean, most were kept if I am not mistaken, and are not automatic, just different (for example I have read accounts of the new Lcancel being both harder and easier, although I don't really see how it's harder...).

Things that I think were overlooked in your post:

1. The fact the removed advanced techniques were either unintentional or they did not work out the way Sakurai intended.
2. There will be future advanced techniques, no game is perfect, and in the time played at E for All, one new possible advanced technique was already discovered.
3. Why is a more balanced game not more interesting? I suppose it could be balanced with more advanced techniques, but considering the most abused techniques were generally regarded as the unintentional ones, why would he add on to that area of the game if he felt that is where the problem was.

Look how many years it took Melee to reach it's peak, Sakurai would have to put an awful lot of extra testing in prior to release to add more advanced techniques to balance the game, especially if they were to be considered true "Advanced Techniques." I'd rather the game be in development for two and a half years, not four and a half. That is just my opinion on it though.
first off l-cancelling is not harder and easier it is just plain easier. im not here to debate that though.

basicall ywhat you said with this post is, "so what he removed advanced techs?"

thats fine, but we have to see if his version of smash (where its more about strategy and counterpicks than tech skill) holds up to our version of smash (sacrificing character balance for depth of gameplay)

However, I would not think that Sakurai intentionally added Wave Dashing, otherwise it wouldn't have taken years to become a popular, and advanced, move.

Also, since we do have some techniques already confirmed(Wave Landing, L Cancels, Float Cancels, etc.), we can expect that its complete utilization of those techniques that will determine the Over All Metagame in Brawl, as well as tier placement.

Reports of Peaches DSmash being nerfed, and all of her other Smashes/Tilts/Throws being buffed, as well as the remaining of Float cancels, its very likely Peach will be the highest tier character.

I do expect there to be some advanced move related to Gliding, as well as some other unique things, like Pit's B^ with his little wings.

Although I completely agree Brawl APPEARS less technical, I suppose it would be in the Metagame's best interest not to write it off just yet, until everything is crucially examined.

-DD
wavedashing was not intentional but l-cancelling was. many of the other cancels and character specific cancels were intentional as well.

-DD
wavedashing was not intentional in that he didnt expect it to be used like this but he did code it into the game and l-cancelling was purely intentional. many of the other cancels and character specific cancels were intentional as well.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
first off l-cancelling is not harder and easier it is just plain easier. im not here to debate that though.

basicall ywhat you said with this post is, "so what he removed advanced techs?"

thats fine, but we have to see if his version of smash (where its more about strategy and counterpicks than tech skill) holds up to our version of smash (sacrificing character balance for depth of gameplay)
I never disagreed with the first point.

As far as the second, a better wording would be "So what, he removed some advanced techs" as several were still confirmed to exist as of the demo, we still have to see about the actual game (Lcancel could easily disappear).

And yes, the last part is basically exactly how I feel, a wait and see game to see if people still enjoy it and take it as far as Melee did, or if people refuse to even give change a chance. I certainly hope the latter doesn't happen.

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
There are far more factors that determine how a character plays and even all of them are not consistent across an entire character's move set. I don't think it makes sense to impose "Rock, Paper, Scissors" classification on Melee characters because it does not consider all of the extra factors, variabilities, and subtleties. Its also unlikely the development team started out with classifications like you suggest because the amount of complexity that they would have encountered developing the game in order to have planned everything that resulted in the final version.

They, most likely, simply designed each character separately, with the exception of clones, so that they would be true to the style and did some balancing later so they would not be over powered or under power based on their understanding of the game. (By occam's razor)

Melee ended up being a very offensive game, so characters that were able to aggressively had an advantage. Some were better than others, but it every character had offensive potential. This is what really determined the tiers. Its hard to argue that there were other styles of play that the developers intended when its not really meaningful to the game. For example I can think of attribute X and say all characters lacked them in Melee, but it was there. It doesn't mean anything unless theres some strong support, even then its better not to over complicate things when you are trying to explain a system.

Its far to soon to say how individual characters have improved or worsened in Brawl. Guessing tiers is just out of the question. It will take a good 6 months before a reasonable tier list can be put tother, and even that one will probably be laughed at a few years later.

Basically, this is just an other "Brawl Tier List" thread, except more wordy.

plasmatorture

Smash Journeyman
I say tiers do exist but I don't live by them. I know some characters have advantages over others and I play with whomever I want to play with.

-Onyx
Right.

Tiers only matter for about 1% of the community. For everyone who isn't in the uppermost echelon of players, the tier list means almost absolute ****.

Even the bottom-tier characters can win in lower-level tournament play and any form of casual play.

However, when it comes to the top 1%, tiers do matter and they do exist and it's a simple fact that this thread isn't about at all.

What this thread IS about is that tiers being as divided as they were in melee were a sign of horribly unbalanced gameplay (at a casual level, 64 was more balanced than melee), and that Brawl will have much less obvious tiers except a possible character or two coming on top, which is really just a sign that this game has more time and care put into it and is going to attempt to be balanced.
Which, basically, leaves nothing to talk about because saying Brawl will be more balanced than Melee is like saying August 3rd will be a hotter day than December 26th (in the northern hemisphere.....).

There are far more factors that determine how a character plays and even all of them are not consistent across an entire character's move set. I don't think it makes sense to impose "Rock, Paper, Scissors" classification on Melee characters because it does not consider all of the extra factors, variabilities, and subtleties. Its also unlikely the development team started out with classifications like you suggest because the amount of complexity that they would have encountered developing the game in order to have planned everything that resulted in the final version.

They, most likely, simply designed each character separately, with the exception of clones, so that they would be true to the style and did some balancing later so they would not be over powered or under power based on their understanding of the game. (By occam's razor)

Melee ended up being a very offensive game, so characters that were able to aggressively had an advantage. Some were better than others, but it every character had offensive potential. This is what really determined the tiers. Its hard to argue that there were other styles of play that the developers intended when its not really meaningful to the game. For example I can think of attribute X and say all characters lacked them in Melee, but it was there. It doesn't mean anything unless theres some strong support, even then its better not to over complicate things when you are trying to explain a system.

Its far to soon to say how individual characters have improved or worsened in Brawl. Guessing tiers is just out of the question. It will take a good 6 months before a reasonable tier list can be put tother, and even that one will probably be laughed at a few years later.

Basically, this is just an other "Brawl Tier List" thread, except more wordy.
it's hardly a leap to think that the first thing that sakurai thought of when he thought of bowser was "big, powerful" and for fox "fast, light". this is hardly a stretch. there are fighting stereotypes and sakurai wanted his characters to fit that, unlike his previous game smash bros 64.

thinking that somehow the fighting stereotypes spawned out of nowhere AFTER the characters were designed is grade school thought.

GoldenS1104

Smash Journeyman
You people saying that he should just learn to tolerate idiots on the internet are being hypocrites.
Well duh, the internet is all about being hypocritical. But in all seriousness, there is a difference in the level of stupidity he was displaying compared to the stupidity of the people he was trashing. I'm not saying you have to like everyone on the internet, but you should at least tolerate them. He has every right to post this thread but no right to say who can or cannot post in it.

Ebonyks

Smash Apprentice
I think the biggest logical fallacy in this concept is the assumption that brawl won't have advanced techs. We're dealing with a game that has only had a DEMO played by a number of known tournament players for FOUR DAYS. That's not nearly enough time to explore the game, and regardless, countless new ideas could have been implemented since E4All. While the advanced techniques that became a cornerstone of melee play have been modified greatly, and the reduced speed makes it less technical from a surface level, it's ludicrous to come to the conclusion that new advanced techniques won't be discovered. Just look at a technique like tripping, where almost nothing is currently understood, or other techs like the footstool jump or crawling, where effective implementations have not yet been found. There's clearly a huge amount of depth under the surface, it only appears less technical because of the lack of the finger-blistering speed that dominated the professional smash scene.

I think the rock/paper/scissors element of the power/control/speed character design may be applicable and is an interesting idea, which would be a wonderful addition. It also seems that characters are being segmented into one of three groups far more so than in melee. Characters who dominate in multiple groups (power and speed in fox, control and speed in sheik, etc) I predict that in this game, characters strength's and weaknesses will be much more relative to the specific characters in a match as opposed to sweeping skills which can dominate against anyone.

I think the biggest logical fallacy in this concept is the assumption that brawl won't have advanced techs. We're dealing with a game that has only had a DEMO played by a number of known tournament players for FOUR DAYS. That's not nearly enough time to explore the game, and regardless, countless new ideas could have been implemented since E4All. While the advanced techniques that became a cornerstone of melee play have been modified greatly, and the reduced speed makes it less technical from a surface level, it's ludicrous to come to the conclusion that new advanced techniques won't be discovered. Just look at a technique like tripping, where almost nothing is currently understood, or other techs like the footstool jump or crawling, where effective implementations have not yet been found. There's clearly a huge amount of depth under the surface, it only appears less technical because of the lack of the finger-blistering speed that dominated the professional smash scene.

I think the rock/paper/scissors element of the power/control/speed character design may be applicable and is an interesting idea, which would be a wonderful addition. It also seems that characters are being segmented into one of three groups far more so than in melee. Characters who dominate in multiple groups (power and speed in fox, control and speed in sheik, etc) I predict that in this game, characters strength's and weaknesses will be much more relative to the specific characters in a match as opposed to sweeping skills which can dominate against anyone.
like i said before

#1 it is less technical. there is no way around this.

#2 even if brawl has advanced techs, that is not hte point. the point is what sakurai is TRYING to do. read the title of the essay plz.

Top Bottom