• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just how much have we twisted Sakurai's original words?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
This past weekend I have realized that two common things supposedly said by Sakurai "no clones" and "more girls" are nothing more than misinterpretations.

The "no clones" statement derives from Sakurai stating
But, although you'll see characters from the last game, this time, on a significant scale [Yes, this is exact], they will be remade. It is this sort of thing [This sentence is slang, so there really isn't a good English translation for it].
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=72642&highlight=samurai+panda

We have taken this to as that no veteran in the game will be a clone of another. Eventually, we have taken this as there being no clones in the game, period.

Now, for the "more girls" statement. This derives from Sakurai commenting on Zero Suit Samus. Sakurai said:

I put Zero Suit Samus in thinking I wanted to include more characters from the popular Metroid series. Also, since Smash Bros. has few female characters, I was quite happy to include her.
http://wii.ign.com/articles/710/710752p1.html .

The only thing involving girl characters is that Sakurai was glad to include her to the already small, established list of girls in the SSB series.

We need to stop trying to take his words and take them as something that goes into our own personal favors.

Now, are there any more statements like this out there?

Jmax

Smash Cadet
NOT SAKURAI said:
There’s a character named Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now, and Lucas is very similar.
They have been indeed twisted alot...

For one, these are translated by some white guy, who was also the representative at E4All.. That translation is also really diffrent in Japanese..

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Actually, some people translated the original Japanese as "ima made" which pretty much means "up until now".

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
I think Ness and Lucas (if ness is in brawl), should share a move set formula similar to Mario and luigi's where they aren't exactly clones, but they have similar moves due to a common relationship.. mario and luigi are brothers, and Ness & Lucas come from the same family of PK users

Punchline

Smash Apprentice
Twisted like a wet towel.

Nuff said.

"But, although you'll see characters from the last game, this time, on a significant scale [Yes, this is exact], they will be remade. It is this sort of thing [This sentence is slang, so there really isn't a good English translation for it]. "

This could mean possible removed characters could get new B movesets, such as Ness. Same NAME for the move and EFFECT, but different in looks. Wouldnt that work?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I think Ness and Lucas (if ness is in brawl), should share a move set formula similar to Mario and luigi's where they aren't exactly clones, but they have similar moves due to a common relationship.. mario and luigi are brothers, and Ness & Lucas come from the same family of PK users
Kumatora, Paula, Poo, and Ana are from the same family. That doesn't work.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Thing is, Luigi has been around since almost forever. He's more important to Nintendo so his inclusion is worth it, even if his moveset is similar to Mario. Ness is not as important to Nintendo as Luigi.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Thing is, Luigi has been around since almost forever. He's more important to Nintendo so his inclusion is worth it, even if his moveset is similar to Mario. Ness is not as important to Nintendo as Luigi.
Not to mention that Mario and Luigi are similar by nature. They're twins and were originally pallet swaps of each other.

EPX2

Smash Ace

For one, these are translated by some white guy, who was also the representative at E4All.. That translation is also really diffrent in Japanese..
No, the translation is virtually the same in all languages - no use in trying to deny that. What some people are doing is twisting the meaning of that statement to make it seem as if Sakurai is suggesting that Ness isn't returning - despite the fact that he's used the phrase "up until now" (or at least, a slight variant of it) in other subsequent updates to refer to elements that are returning in Brawl.

See here and here.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
No, the translation is virtually the same in all languages - no use in trying to deny that. What some people are doing is twisting the meaning of that statement to make it seem as if Sakurai is suggesting that Ness isn't returning - despite the fact that he's used the phrase "up until now" (or at least, a slight variant of it) in other subsequent updates to refer to elements that are returning in Brawl.

See here and here.
The thing with those two is that the handicap was completely revamped and rapid A moves can be now done by just holding the button down. Those two are different from their original counterparts which weren't change in between SSB and SSBM.

EPX2

Smash Ace
The thing with those two is that the handicap was completely revamped and rapid A moves can be now done by just holding the button down. Those two are different from their original counterparts which weren't change in between SSB and SSBM.
I'm aware of that. However, if the statements containing that particular phrase were to be isolated from their respective updates and shown to you (without you seeing the other updates), would you be able to determine that a change has been to these elements? With the handicap update, absolutely not.

Smash Bros. DOJO!! said:
So until now, I’ve always made sure to include handicaps in each game in the series.
No mention or even implication that the handicap system has been changed is made in that particular quote. At best, you would assume that Sakurai is saying that handicaps are not returning in Brawl (which is obviously false). You'd have to read the entire update to find out that Sakurai has made some changes in regards to how handicaps work.

With the combo update, though, you probably could ascertain that a change has been made in the way rapid attacks can be performed based off the wording of that statement:

Smash Bros. DOJO!! said:
Up until now, standard combos, or button-press combos, were done primarily by tapping the attack button repeatedly.
So you do have a point there.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
But, although you'll see characters from the last game, this time, on a significant scale [Yes, this is exact], they will be remade. It is this sort of thing [This sentence is slang, so there really isn't a good English translation for it].
There was also a quote by Sakurai saying not all of the characters will return:

#81-90: Ah yes, my big translation. This is the translation that started this all. I cut down the original post a bit because it was so long:

After my initial quick translation that I posted on GameFAQs, I was bombarded with people shouting "LIAR! NOT TRUE! STFU TROLLER!" so I decided to post a full translation.

"In order to prove you naysayers wrong, here is a full, nearly exact, translation of what he said. My own personal commentary is provided in the [ ].

DISCLAIMER: Sakurai uses very ambiguous language in his response. So try not to nitpick the English in this passage too much.

"Sorry. I'm not very smart but I can't tell a lie so I'm just going to write it.
As for the previous game's characters, some of them will disappear. Definitely.

For the last game, we struggled to assemble 26 characters. We tried really hard and unintentionally reached that number.

For argument's sake, no matter how much staff there is, with just manpower we can’t just put in everything, and as my own job [read: workload] does not decrease, there is a limit.

But, the consumer’s desired things to be included [There really isn’t a good English equivalent for that word] are weeeeell understood. You will be [he doesn’t give a subject to the sentence, so I’m using ‘you’] happy regarding the adapted characters moving around on different stages as well [The email he is responding to complained about how there are only 3 stages from SSB that are stages in SSBM, so I guess this infers that there wont be a whole lot of previous stages].

So, we will once again struggle to create characters. I cannot promise you anything other than that.”

And that is exactly what Sakurai said. Hope you guys enjoy the info ^_^ "
It's obvious that clones are going to go before unique characters. The quote you referenced just says that some characters will be very different than they were in Melee. Eg. Clones getting new movesets. While it doesn't state that in a completely straightforward manner, it's the most logical way to accept his information. As far as "no clones" he admitted he didn't like the idea of them, but they were also put in Melee while he didn't like them, so they could potentially be in Brawl. With 27 months of development time (about 3x more than melee had), however, I expect all unique characters.

I put Zero Suit Samus in thinking I wanted to include more characters from the popular Metroid series. Also, since Smash Bros. has few female characters, I was quite happy to include her.
This has been twisted a lot in numerous ways. I am not sure about him wanting more female characters in another statement, but this does show that he is interested in more of them. That doesn't mean that just because a character is female she is getting in over a male though. I have said a few times that being female doesn't really help a character much at all.

And the Metroid part also nearly confirms a third playable rep... since he said he wanted to add more characters (plural) from the Metroid series and we have only gotten one (who is actually only half IMO), although that very well could include ATs (and there is a Metroid AT).

Cosine

Smash Apprentice
I hope the same thing can be said about the whole, only 3 Third Partys in Brawl thing

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Having taken Japanese, I was wondering about this, because Japanese has two phrases that are translated into english as "up until now", one of which means, "up until now this occurred, but not any longer", and one which means, "this has been occurring to this point" and doesn't have anything about whether it will continue that way or not, it's just a statement of how things have been thus far.

Yeah, so people, take the translations with a grain of salt, you ALWAYS lose something with translation, and some translations are simply poor making you lose more. This is especially true of phrases without equivalents in English.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
It's obvious that clones are going to go before unique characters. The quote you referenced just says that some characters will be very different than they were in Melee. Eg. Clones getting new movesets. While it doesn't state that in a completely straightforward manner, it's the most logical way to accept his information. As far as "no clones" he admitted he didn't like the idea of them, but they were also put in Melee while he didn't like them, so they could potentially be in Brawl.
I agree, the clones getting new movesets is a logical conclusion, since it seems weird to remake a unique moveset before remaking a cloned moveset. But that's about as far as you can take Sakurai's words. Assuming that Brawl won't have it's very own brand new clones is a stretch too many people have faith in, for instance.

With 27 months of development time (about 3x more than melee had), however, I expect all unique characters.
I sometimes wonder. I think it's not the amount of development time they have, but whether or not the time was enough to get everything in.
And Brawl was delayed, so we know that the development team ran out of time at least once and had to get a two month extension.
Overall, I'd say it's possible that even 27 months may not be enough time for an all-unique character roster, and we may indeed see some clones.

And the Metroid part also nearly confirms a third playable rep... since he said he wanted to add more characters (plural) from the Metroid series and we have only gotten one (who is actually only half IMO), although that very well could include ATs (and there is a Metroid AT).
I've never quite been able to take this statement as a 100% confirmation of another Metroid character... but I've always really, really, hoped.

volbound1700

Smash Master
We also assume that since rules existed in Melee and Brawl about series, that they exist in this game as well.

They also read the statement about 2-3 third parties to strictly when Sakurai used the word "tentatively" 1-2 more third party.

BTW, why did the clones offend everyone? I wasn't bothered by them. Rather have a clone then NOTHING at all in that spot?

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Well since Sakurai stated that there were few females in melee I'd say it's very possible he was thinking a bit about that anyway when he was making brawl.

Cosine

Smash Apprentice
I think if they do have clones they should make clones of Characters like Pokemon Trainer or ZS Samus, I mean that for only one of there movesets, such as cloning PT's Charzad as Flygon or Dragonite

Cosine

Smash Apprentice

It may be true about the fact that the Japnese site didn't say that, but that some white guy probly knows who's in and whos not, and he wouldn't just say that if Ness was going to return.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
We also assume that since rules existed in Melee and Brawl about series, that they exist in this game as well.

They also read the statement about 2-3 third parties to strictly when Sakurai used the word "tentatively" 1-2 more third party.

BTW, why did the clones offend everyone? I wasn't bothered by them. Rather have a clone then NOTHING at all in that spot?
Exactly. Apparently, people aren't aware of the word maybe.

I think clones offend because of Dr. Mario and Pichu. They should be welcomed because clones are in other fighting games.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Not really. This is about characters, not Brawl as a whole.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
People have twisted Sakurai's words to deconfirm ness when Sakurai could have clearly said Ness was out but he did not, he still left it open and only a narrow minded person would think "up until now" (although used more than once for different purposes) could automatically mean Ness is out, from my knowledge of those people they will never believe hes will come back so there is no point really in feeding them.

Triple_Factorial

Smash Apprentice
Is it just me, or does the 1st quote (the one that became "no clones") now sound like an ancestor of "slightly different flavor"?

ThoraxeRMG

Smash Ace
Exactly! A great point!

finalark

SNORLAX
I think that people will bend words to fit what they want to hear if they are desperate enough.

Or big enough Fanboys/girls.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
Exactly! A great point!
I bet a anti-ness person will be like "BUT noes luigiz is lyk more important than nezz"

To bad, I never compared Ness to Luigi, all I did was compare the formula/reason for sharing moves, and how it could essentially be incorporated with Lucas and Ness

Cosine

Smash Apprentice
Ness is Gone, he said "Up until now", maybe it wasn't an exact translation of the Japanese but the guy in charge of that is sure to know whether or not Ness made it back in, he wouldn't have said that other wise, it a really pointless argument

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now

Ness appeared until now

End of debate.
Except that's not what Sakurai actually said. That's the best succicent translation of what Sakurai actually said, unfortunately, in English it bears the connotation of ending, something that the Japanese phrase lacks.

So no, unfortunately this is just another in a long line of poor translations from Japanese, right up there with "spoony bard", however this is understandable because there is no "good" translation.

Ness is Gone, he said "Up until now", maybe it wasn't an exact translation of the Japanese but the guy in charge of that is sure to know whether or not Ness made it back in, he wouldn't have said that other wise, it a really pointless argument
Not necessarily, how many corporations reveal company secrets to just anyone? Not many. This sort of thing is on a need to know basis until it's revealed, and translators are not generally on the need to know list, so it's actually doubtful he or she knew.

Anyway, what do you suggest that he put instead, "Ness has been in all the previous installations however I neither confirm nor deny his appearance"? I guess that's closer to what Sakurai's original phrasing meant, yet it certainly doesn't capture the meaning, and is very clunky, and they generally don't like translators doing stuff like that.

Zorya

Smash Ace
Ppl right now are trying to bend the whole '3 third party characters' thing. There will only BE 3 of them, so learn to love it.:embarrass

Top Bottom