• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Support [Pikmen]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Florida

イーグランツ

Goodness!
Captain Olimar joins the fray with five colors of Pikmin in tow!
He plucks Pikmin from the ground and they fight as his allies.

Without Pikmin, Olimar can’t even do a Smash Attack.
And the short-lived Pikmin tend to scatter.
Theirs is a fated symbiotic relationship.

Congratulations, all Captain Olimar supporters! On the day of January 9, 2008, Olimar make their glorious debut! Pikmin & Olimar offer a unique and strategic fighting style; which, by the looks of it, will be pretty hard to master. It's rather clear that Captain Olimar will rely on his Pikmin friends for almost everything, which certainly gives this character an original feel.

A vast majority of the amount of Captain Olimar supporters, are members of the official Pikmin & Olimar club, Pikmen. Pikmen are members who all greatly support Olimar's inclusion in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. What's the point to it? Nothing, really; besides showing your support for Pikmin & Olimar! Is there a way to join? Of course! Just simply PM me (egruntz), regarding your want to be included in the group. But of course, as of now, there are some requirements if you want to be an "official" member-- however, it wasn't alway that way. Before Olimar's confirmation, the PM sent was your ticket to getting in! Now that Olimar is confirmed, things will be a little tougher...and those PMs, will just act as requests.

When you send me a PM, I'll automatically add your name to the Pikmen list. Though, realize, that you still aren't an official member at that point. Your name will be highlighted in a gray color, which notifies as such. So, how do you become an official member? Simple! Just be active and / or valuable to the Olimar community. No-- not necessarily by posting in this thread-- but by posting in the entire Pikmin & Olimar sub-forum. If you are a validating member, and noticed around the forum, then you will be added to the official Pikmen members' list.

Pikmen:

1. egruntz
  2. IllidR
  3. Colenstien
  4. Wiseguy
  5. Yigguth
  6. the_Capt_Falcon_Master
  7. brawler12
  8. DekuBoy
  9. Qbuilderz
  10. gannondorf4ever
  11. L_Cancel
  12. Machspeed
  13. burrito
  14. The Noob Legend
  15. Akiak
  16. Smash Ninja
  17. Commander Blitzkrieg
  18. TheGlitchMaster
  19. Pseudo_Sam
  20. smash_fo_life Last member to join before confirmation.
  21. Vali
  22. Camera_Guy
  23. assassinX105
  24. Desert Eagle
  25. !Boom!
  26. Textbook Ninja
  27. Captain Brawlimar
  28. nyhustler208
  29. icy_icicle
  30. TrueRedemption
  31. kafke
  32. Kabuto Mushi
  33. KraidGuy
  34. Gazelle
  35. courte
  36. Matt2358
L a t e s t N e w s :

News is bound to be shared and spread around the Olimar community. In this section of the Pikmen headquarters, the latest and most valuable news will be displayed for open-viewing. Information is shown here so that the more important information will be recognized by the community. News will be updated frequently, depending on how much information we get in.

egruntz said:
Gimping Ness with Olimar:

When a Ness player is making an attempt to return to the stage, quickly latch a pikmin onto them. Of course, this should be done for any character making a recovery (although some play-styles are different), but Ness is a special and more important occasion. When latched, the pikmin will instantly absorb Ness's PK thunder, sending him down to his doom.

When using a yellow pikmin to gimp a Ness player, you can whistle and call back that pikmin afterwards, since they are immune to electric properties. Any other pikmin used to gimp a Ness player will most likely die, so be prepared to max out your pikmin amount. Obviously, the purple pikmin will not fulfill this gimping strategy.

Ness players more familiar with this gimp can simply beat the pikmin off and continue with their recovery, but watch out for the early and more unexperienced Ness players. Regardless, you should attempt this strategy each time you encounter a recovering Ness.

Rocketspark

Smash Cadet
Oog. I want Captain Olimar, but that moveset seems like it's...overcomplicating things.
x-x
Maybe that's just me. If so, I apologize.

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
the only way I can see olimar working out his size to pikman ratio is if you make olimar insanely small, or give him a very small number of pikman. other wise he is too small and 1-hit-KO'd or he is too big and is way to powerfull( in the same sense as 100 fighting wireframes all at once!?!?!?)

L_Cancel

Smash Champion
I'm just posting to show my support for the new Captain Olimar thread! Great job on the new thread egruntz! Oh, and good idea to include the size argument in the first post! It's substantial enough, but you could also include the fact that in melee they aren't actually the characters themselves, but rather trophies, and it is only logical for the characters to be resized. But, your post is fine the way it is, this is only a suggestion. =]

OLIMAR FOR BRAWL!

tennisthehilife

Smash Lord
I can't wait to copy and try his powers!

the 2nd one would suk >.<

Edit:
the only way I can see olimar working out his size to pikman ratio is if you make olimar insanely small, or give him a very small number of pikman. other wise he is too small and 1-hit-KO'd or he is too big and is way to powerfull( in the same sense as 100 fighting wireframes all at once!?!?!?)
Yes. (there would be 100 pikmin and they would fight like wireframes, easily ko-ed, would make Olimar very unique fighting w/ the help of his army and being able to control them very well.)

aleps

Smash Apprentice
There is a thread about his stage on the stage forum, it has drawings and explanations about them.

Olimar for Brawl!!!

lethminite

Smash Apprentice
i'm not anti-olimar, however, the move set seems over complex.
15 pikmin seems like it would lag the game, or crowd the stage.
also, dividing stages into area's seems like it would take tonnes of effort, as well as make custom stages odd.
the data needed to make this guy seems like it would be so much more then even kirby uses.
15 AIs running, 16 sprites at once, 6 unique sprites.

would the wii be able to handle a olimarX4 FFA?

also, how would he handle a pokefloats style stage? or norfair even?

i have no problem with him, infact, i want him, just i think that move set needs to be made less system intensive and more newbie friendly (memorising every stages pikmin areas seems drastic)

Florida

イーグランツ
Some news:

Miyamoto's birthday is this Friday (November 16th). Doesn't Captain Olimar's profile seem so fitting for Miyamoto's birthday? ;o Of course we shouldn't get our hopes up, just keep this in mind ;)

As for Captain Olimar's moveset, know that it was created by Vali.
It's complex, sure, but it's well thought-out, and completely brilliant. I think it'll stay up =)

Glad that you guys like the new thread! :cool:

MegatronPwnsYou

Smash Lord
Some news:

Miyamoto's birthday is this Friday (November 16th). Doesn't Captain Olimar's profile seem so fitting for Miyamoto's birthday? ;o Of course we shouldn't get our hopes up, just keep this in mind ;)

As for Captain Olimar's moveset, know that it was created by Vali.
It's complex, sure, but it's well thought-out, and completely brilliant. I think it'll stay up =)

Glad that you guys like the new thread! :cool:
Luigi would be fitting also, but Olimar plz.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Yay for a better thread (without a question mark in the title)!

And yay for Vali's awesome moveset!

You doubters...how can Sakurai pass up such an opportunity for such a creative moveset? He'd be no more difficult than Nana. Nana will have better AI than the Pikmin. If they are out of range, they stay there. If they are within range, they come back. That simple. It's just like Nana when she gets lost sometimes. It is complex, yes, but not near as complex as you guys are making it to be.

lethminite

Smash Apprentice
again, how would pikmin deal with a pokefloats like level. would they just keep falling to their doom, or do they intelligently jump from platform to platform.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
again, how would pikmin deal with a pokefloats like level. would they just keep falling to their doom, or do they intelligently jump from platform to platform.
Have you ever played Pikmin? Pikmin are far from intelligent. They'd most likely kill themselves like they always do.

lethminite

Smash Apprentice
Have you ever played Pikmin? Pikmin are far from intelligent. They'd most likely kill themselves like they always do.
while i haven't played pikmin, smash changes some aspects for the sake of balance (kirby starts with 3 powers absorbed).

it would suck having 15 pikmin out, only to have a platform break and you lose them all.
would they fight for survival, while he has the maths on how hard you hit them, if you get them even slightly over the edge do they just die?

it seems like this guys power is godlike on picochat style stages, and crap on pokefloat style.

even a lvl1 comp can keep it's self alive when it's not being attacked. (yes i know you can sit places and it will suicide)

the grim lizard

Smash Master
kirby starts with 3 powers absorbed.
Actually, more than that: Burn, Hammer, Cutter, Stone, Backdrop, Suplex. I actually think it'd be cool if they added more, but that's a separate subject...

Anyway, that all adds to the challenge of playing with him. And anyone who loves the games that much or anyone else interested would certainly be up for the challenge of learning him. I know I would be.

edit: In fact, I'd be very disappointed not only in Sakurai but the whole game if they didn't give him a very interesting moveset at least somewhat similar to Vali's.

Piks

Smash Journeyman
i'm not anti-olimar, however, the move set seems over complex.
15 pikmin seems like it would lag the game, or crowd the stage.
also, dividing stages into area's seems like it would take tonnes of effort, as well as make custom stages odd.
the data needed to make this guy seems like it would be so much more then even kirby uses.
15 AIs running, 16 sprites at once, 6 unique sprites.

Maybe he can have about 5 or so, but maybe that would be too little.

lethminite

Smash Apprentice
for playing a character that relies on an army that on some levels would die off every 20 secs?

i'm sorry, but that is a serious design flaw.

all i'm saying is the move set needs some work.

brawler12

Smash Journeyman
he can pluck them out from the ground with a lil lag but no recoil like Ike's aether. That solves your problem.
hooray for new thread and vali's moveset.

Blobulator

Smash Journeyman
He sounds a tad complex to me, but I must admit I honestly wouldn't be opposed to him entering the Brawl. All the more power to characters like this with creative mechanics, like PT and Ice Climbers. Makes for a much more interesting fight than just regular fighters sometimes. I'd be glad to see him make the cut.

Qbuilderz

Smash Journeyman
olimar!

but still, i would like him to have a max of only like 10 pikmin, which he needs to pluck out of the ground, but can still fight for himself...

MetaNiGHTs

Smash Cadet
How about Instead of assigning different areas to different pikmin he could rotate the pikmin he picks like he picks red first then yellow, blue,white,purple, and back to red

His FinalSmash should be a Giant Bulbear and baby Bulbears walk across the stage biting people and then at the end an empress bulblax rolls acros sending everyone flying

It would be kind of like pikmin2 menu screen where you can control the bulborb

I have played pikmin 1 and 2 They are great games that I strongly reccomend ( you can pick up pikmin1 for like 10 bucks used and pikmin 2 for a bout 30 new )

ripman3

Smash Journeyman
As far as an Olimar stage goes, i think it would be cool to add in the night and day feature with bulblaxes in the background that awake during the night and wreak havok (at a rate similar to the planes on corneria).

OLIMAR FOR BRAWL!

I trust that when he gets into the game, they will give him an amazing moveset that is both unexpected and intuitive.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I honestly think Vali's moveset is near perfect. I personally think he should have up to 20 Pikmin around him, but 15 is minimum capacity. And always have 3 out or something at the beginning of each stock. That is his entire attack power. And the Pikmin always follow you if they're within range (aka, you throw them too far or outrun them); so they wouldn't constantly be killing themselves, unless you just flatout didn't know how to control them, just like Nana can easily die if you don't help her out, in a way.

While Pikmin would certainly die if you left them alone or if you threw them off the cliff (obviously), that's more about the user than the comptuer AI. It would certainly have a learning curve to it, but it would make it a fun character ultimately to use. Plus, the play styles and the strategies would vary immensely for a character like this, and it would make watching a really good Olimar player really fun.

shipoffools

Smash Journeyman
i'd still love to see captian olimar with this type of moveset, and then if he gets a pikimin AT as well, he can add them to his team, even if only for a little bit. olimar for BRAWL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom