• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link's E for All Expo Report

Florida

イーグランツ
Hello all. As some of you might know, I was one of the lucky ones who was able to play Super Smash Bros. Brawl at the E for All Expo. Out of the several characters there were to choose from, Link kept me occupied most of the time. By playing with Link, I've learned some things that I'd like to share with you all; so without further ado, here is my E for All Expo report:

Alternate Colors:

I'd imagine that the most intriguing topic for you all would be Link's alternate colors. So I'll just go ahead and explain that first. Basically, Link has kept all of his alternate colors from Melee, as well as a few additions and a few changes. Here's the list of his alternate colors:

1. Green
  2. Red
  3. Blue
  4. White
  5. Yellow
  6. Purple
  7. Dark
So we have the new yellow color, and the ever-so-popular "Dark Link" costume. Basically the dark costume is Link dressed in a black tunic, with some demonic features added to his skin and body (the dark face, pale white hair, dark red eyes, etc.). As you may have guessed, the old / regular black color has been replaced by "Dark Link". As for the yellow costume, it's more of a darkish-gold, and it's really cool; cooler than the dark costume, in my personal opinion.

I should also mention that Link's shields change color as well. No, they don't change design, only color; but still, that's a nice change, and gives Link a unique aspect.

Final Smash:

Link's Final Smash, the Triforce Slash, is a neat and effective finisher. Link locks a single opponent into a triforce cage, and delivers a series of slashes with his sword. This move only focuses on one enemy, yes; however it's pretty powerful, and can kill at a decent amount of damage. Also, if need be, you can use Link's final smash to recover back onto the field.

Moveset:

• Neutral B: Hero's Bow
    The Hero's Bow is shot out much more swift than before. The move seems to be slightly stronger (to an extent), and could potentially go farther in distance than Link's bow in Melee.
  • Side B: Gale Boomerang
    I've received a few questions on this one! The Gale Boomerang does indeed pull an opponent back toward you, which is an awesome feature to add! Oddly, there's times when this function does and doesn't work. In some occasions I'd easily pull an opponent to me, and carry on with some sort of attack / combo. Then there were other situations where the Gale Boomerang would hardly move my enemies at all. Perhaps the Gale Boomerang works with the damage amount an opponent has already taken? That'd sure be something interesting to test out! Hurry, someone call Trevyn!

Also, I could make the Gale Boomerang pull back items as well! Some more effective than others, such as the rolling crates and the Smash Balls.
  • Down B: Bomb
    The bomb move has been slightly improved as well. It is generally bigger, and delivers a more powerful knockback than before. How might someone compare the improvement? Well, just know that the bombs can now kill an opponent in a Sudden Death match.
  • Up B: Spin Slash
    As most of you know, this move can be chargeable. To my surprise, charging the Spin Slash hardly helped at all. At most, all that charging did was increase damage by 5-10%. Yeah, not much, right? Also, you can no longer spike an opponent diagonally downward with this move. Disappointing, eh?

Well, the fact that I feel that this move has gained some vertical and horizontal distance when used for recovery pretty much makes up for all of that nerfing! Semi-spiking with the spin slash wasn't the only use for the move, though; it can still be used affectively, to a point. A major use I see it being used for is breaking combos, or getting out of stiff situations. C-c-c-c-c-combo breaker!
  • Dash Attack: Returning Melee form!
    Still has very good juggling effects.
  • Forward Smash: Returning Melee form!
    More knockback, damage amount, and range! A good finisher move! And as for that one image shown on the DOJO, it ended up simply being the beginning of Link's forward smash.
  • Up Smash: Returning Melee form!
    This move was interesting to play with! Link's up smash is now more "stickier" than before. "What do you mean 'stickier', egruntz?". Well, by that I mean the third and final slash of the attack is almost guaranteed to hit if you get your opponent from the beginning. That's great, right?! Whenever I played as either Link / Young Link in Melee, I hated when I knew I was about to be punished because my up smash attempt has failed (this was one of the minor reasons why I avoiding Link in Melee).

This move works well when preformed from underneath a platform! When you get the chance, test that out!
  • Down Smash: Returning Melee form!
    Basically the same-- I couldn't get an accurate feel as to if it has been nerfed / improved at all.
  • Forward Tilt: Returning Melee form!
    Seems a little more powerful, but not by much.
  • Down Tilt: Returning Melee form!
    The same as before: you can still plop opponents up, or spike 'em down! I was glad to know this specific meteor made a return!
  • Up Tilt: Returning Melee form!
    The same as before. Works wonderfully under platforms as well!
  • Neutral Air: Returning Melee form!
    Link seems to extend his range out further with this move. That's good, the nair is a good combo-leader! Definitely a nice juggling attack as well!
  • Forward Air: Returning Melee form!
    I feel that this move has been granted some more power to it. It's a good SHFF(L) move to use with Link, and I used it quite a bit to get some opponents off of the stage!
  • Up Air: Returning Melee form!
    Seems a little weaker, actually. But can still get a kill off an opponent with a decent amount of damage.
  • Backward Air: Returning Melee form!
    Couldn't ultimately conclude any changes made with this move, but it's generally the same.
  • Down Air: Returning Melee form!
    More powerful, most definitely! I've gotten quite a few Star K.O.'s with this move! As before, if this move hits the opponent correctly, Link will bounce up to a short height. .... Yay?!
I feel that Link has been improved decently from Melee to Brawl. Overall he seems faster, his attacks are stronger, and even his recovery has improved to a point. Some attacks that were hard to pull off in Melee are now made simple and easy.

His weight seems the same, rather heavy with a slow falling rate. Just how I like it!

Link can still use his clawshot to recover (as most of you know), and you can still airdodge before the release. Not any breaking-news, but still something interesting and good to know.

Also, Link's Hylian shield can still block against certain projectiles (such as another Link's arrow). All you have to do is stand still.

As for Link's grabs, they're all the same. You can still perform the superb up throw to up tilt, mmhmm! Juggling for the win! However, now that characters are generally more floaty in this game than the last, this makes chaingrabbing with Link even more impossible than what it was before. There's no way you could chaingrab with the up throw (unless your opponent was completely stupid); though, the down throw might lead to a possibility of chaingrabbing. But I haven't tested that out.

Extra Information:

Taunts:

1. Here
  2. Twilight Princess taunt! (00:18) Here
  3. Navi fairy taunt! (as seen in Fall Press Conference video) Here
So yeah, Link is my favorite character to play as thus far, and I've won the semi-tournament hosted at E for All about 4-5 times with him. He even kept me from trying out Sonic at least once! =P

Gimpyfish said:
Link is one of my favorite video game characters, and he's likely one of yours as well. Link didn't really change too drastically from Melee to Brawl, but I like most of the changes quite a bit. Link seems to run faster in brawl, and most of his moves activate faster. Overall Link got a nice speed buff, but his up b saw an unfortunate nerf. His projectiles also have a few different properties. Link's overall speed has increase, he seems to have kept his priority, and he may even have more range on some of his moves.

Link's speed has been buffed, which is a very good thing. All of his tilts on the ground are faster, and in general simply better. Namely his forward tilt, it maintains the power and range of the Melee counterpart but the move is much faster. His up tilt still has just as much range, but it starts up a little bit faster in Brawl. In addition to his speed boost, some of his moves in Brawl act more like his 64 counterpart. His up smash is a great example, in Melee this move wouldn't often hit with every strike because it's easy to DI out of, in Brawl this move sort of sucks you in, if the first strike hits, all of them hit.

Link's projectile game seems to be less effective, but only because projectiles in general didn't seem as effective. Link's gale boomerang has some interesting properties. Before I actually used it my head was stuffed with ideas about how there could be some really cool tricks with this move. When the gale boomerang returns it has a pushing effect similar to Mario's FLUDD. It doesn't do any damage or knock back, but it pushes you in the direction the boomerang is traveling. This happens even if you are shielding. The boomerang itself can be controlled just as much as Link's boomerang can be controlled in Melee and has mostly the same properties. Link's Arrows come out a lot faster this time around, and they can't be held forever like they can in Melee, they will automatically be fired when they are fully charged. Link's bombs act pretty much the same in this game as well, but they are more powerful. Link's bombs even kill in sudden death! Link cannot do the bomb recovery in this game, he doesn't hit his own bombs - they can damage him if they explode while he is in the hit box, however. They last about the same amount of time before exploding in this game as in Melee.

Link still has some power in this game too. His forward air is still plenty strong, and is a little bit faster as well. His forward smash is quicker, and both swings are back. Link's down air is still just as good as a kill move, but it still has quite a lot of lag (unless you l cancel it of course). Link's up air is more powerful this time, so you'll likely be getting more kills through this move as well. Link's down smash is still powerful, but not really faster. It acts mostly the same in Brawl as it did in Melee. Link's up smash saw some improvement as well. I already mentioned how if one of the hits lands all of the hits should land in this game, it acts more like its 64 version than its Melee counterpart. It keeps the range of the Melee move as well. This move actually was given a lot more lag after it, as opposed to the very small amount of lag it had in Melee. One of Link's nerf's in this game was unfortunately his up b. Link's spin attack is now chargeable, but that feature is mostly useless. This move doesn't kill at the percentages that it killed in Melee, it has just as much lag after it, and it also lost its semi-spiking features.

Overall Link has been generally improved form his Melee form, but not by much. Almost everything Link has is faster, a lot of his moves seem to hit easier than they did in Melee. The fact that his spin attack isn't as powerful and doesn't semi spike anymore is definitely a nerf, but overall Link just appears to be faster in general. Almost all of his moves has increased speed but with the spin attacks lower knock back it may be harder to get your kills overall.
Gimpyfish's quote was added to this first post because:
1. It's all true
2. It's informative
3. And it pretty much sums up all that I have to say about Link.​

My report is now up in video format! Huzzah!
Go ahead and check it out! Same stuff as in this thread, but with some music and pictures! =D

Well, that's that! Hope you enjoyed what information I brought to you!
Please go ahead and share your thoughts!

Florida

イーグランツ
You are my hero.
Any info on taunts though?
Bah! I totally forgot about that one!
My bad, folks! Anyway, new "Extra Information" section added!
Expect more updates! :)

KillaOR

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
Kila#697
Link and Metaknight are as it stands the most OP characters in the game.

This is all based on opinion and likely to change as the years go by, but Link is outrageously standing out as the best out of all the playable characters in this demo.

Lin_

Smash Apprentice

This is all based on opinion and likely to change as the years go by, but Link is outrageously standing out as the best out of all the playable characters in this demo.
I sure hope so ^^ my friend never believes me when I say that Link's gonna kick a$$ in Brawl.
Pity about the taunts... though I swear I saw him do that uber-cool sword sheathing thing he does in Twilight Princess in one of the vids somewhere.
EDIT: I am now changing my av from Pit to Link :) sorry, Pit

Florida

イーグランツ

No joke.

I first wanted to try out Link only because I heard he has a bad-*** Shadow Link costume (which he does). After that first round of playing with Link, I just got hooked onto him! I can easily see myself maining Link, mmhmm! Hopefully I'll be one of the few yellow colored players =P

EDIT:

I sure hope so ^^ my friend never believes me when I say that Link's gonna kick a$$ in Brawl.
Pity about the taunts... though I swear I saw him do that uber-cool sword sheathing thing he does in Twilight Princess in one of the vids somewhere.
EDIT: I am now changing my av from Pit to Link :) sorry, Pit
Link for god-tier!
And Link has some pretty awesome victory poses! One of them is a little hard to explain, but it's fast and eye-grabbing.

And yay for Link avvie!
I changed mine right before I left for E for All! ;)

Lin_

Smash Apprentice
^ lol. I'd basically already decided to main Pit when news of him came out, but Link's FS is too kick-a$$. Now I can't choose *confused*
Btw, how does the Yellow costume work?

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
it's highly possible that the yellow costume is... is... yeah, where DID the yellow costume come from?
ah well, it's good to know that Shadow Link is a costume option. Smash Machinima directors will have their work cut out for them now that Shadow Link is an availible costume.

I'm kinda sitting here waiting for Ike's final smash (btw egruntz, did you manage to catch sight of it while you were there?). But being a main for Link, it's pretty cool to see that they've substantially improved him for Brawl.

I'll keep checkin' to see some other stuff.

ohyeah, just wondering, did they change Zelda's down B for the demo? ya know, just so someone doesn't use it and confirms Shiek? or is she not part of the demo?

WR3K

Smash Ace
man, i kinda enjoyed being a minority by maining link in melee

now it looks like he will be alot more common..

I CALL DIBS ON DARK LINK MOTHER ****ERS (along with everyone else)

Florida

イーグランツ
^ lol. I'd basically already decided to main Pit when news of him came out, but Link's FS is too kick-a$$. Now I can't choose *confused*
Btw, how does the Yellow costume work?
No clue where the yellow costume came from, but it sure is awesome!
Link's Final Smash > All.

it's highly possible that the yellow costume is... is... yeah, where DID the yellow costume come from?
ah well, it's good to know that Shadow Link is a costume option. Smash Machinima directors will have their work cut out for them now that Shadow Link is an availible costume.

I'm kinda sitting here waiting for Ike's final smash (btw egruntz, did you manage to catch sight of it while you were there?). But being a main for Link, it's pretty cool to see that they've substantially improved him for Brawl.

I'll keep checkin' to see some other stuff.

ohyeah, just wondering, did they change Zelda's down B for the demo? ya know, just so someone doesn't use it and confirms Shiek? or is she not part of the demo?
Ike's Final Smash is another series of hits and slashes with his sword. The only main differences is that it's not as awesome as Link's, and he pulverizes the opponent with a downward-striking blow at the end, sending them flying as well. But alas, no slow-mo. :p

Zelda wasn't even in the demo, yo! =)

man, i kinda enjoyed being a minority by maining link in melee

now it looks like he will be alot more common..

I CALL DIBS ON DARK LINK MOTHER ****ERS (along with everyone else)
Shadow Link will be all too popular-- which is another reason why yellow is so superb!

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Hooray for Link info! I'm the kind of person who loves to experiment with as many different characters as possible, but Link has been my formal main all through Melee.

Alternate Colors:

Link has kept most of his alternate colors from Melee, and in addition he was granted an extra two amazing costumes! His previous black color was replaced with a "Shadow Link" costume.

0. Green
1. Red
2. Blue
3. White
4. Yellow
5. Shadow Link / Black
Aw, no armored look to the blue and red suits like the Zora and Magic Armors had in Twilight Princess? That's kind of disappointing.

Final Smash:

Link's Final Smash only focuses on one character, as predicted. But man oh man, is this cool! Link connects with a series of slashes with his sword, and then finally delivers a slow-motion powerful blow, easily sending an opponent to their death (if decent damage was present).

Not only is it effective, it's pretty awesome to watch!
One of the better Final Smashes, if you ask me!
I saw a video of Link doing his Final Smash on Battlefield in one of the videos, and I was amazed by how long-range it was and how fast it traveled. It seems like it should fit very easily into Link's general playstyle. I had been sure it would be a short-range attack like Ike's turned out to be from the original Dojo update.

Here's the video, for anyone who hasn't seen it yet: http://youtube.com/watch?v=mByTv1MOGj0

From Melee to Brawl:

I feel that Link has been improved decently from Melee to Brawl. Overall he seems faster, his attacks are stronger, and even his recovery has improved to a point. Some attacks that were hard to pull off in Melee (such as the up smash), are now made simple and easy. Start off the move and it's an almost guarantee that the third part of the attack will connect.
I'm glad to hear that the up-smash is better now. I had though it looked a lot "stickier" from the videos we've seen of it. Could you elaborate on the improvements to his recovery, though? I had assumed that his recovery could only get worse, since it's no longer possible to airdodge diagonally upwards into a grapple recovery like you could in Melee.

Taunts have yet to be tested!
Sorry people-- forgot about that one!
No taunts?! *sob* Link is way overdue for some awesome taunts. I can't remember the video now, but I could have sworn I saw him do that "I just killed something unpleasant and so now I am flourishing and sheathing my sword in a fancy manner" thing somewhere. I wouldn't be at all suprised to see that as one of his taunts. Maybe he could even finish it with a Mortal Draw? Heh...wishful thinking.

Anyway, it sounds like overall, Link got a bunch of subtle improvements across the board, which is all he ever really needed. I don't think the harsh nerfs to the Spin Attack were justified, as it was already balanced by its horrible wind-down time, but this is all still definitely a net gain. His moveset had always been well-thought-out and well-designed; his problem in Melee was always more that he was specifically countered by the fast-running, fast-falling characters who were hard to combo and could close distance easily, and the fact that those kinds of characters just so happened to be completely broken in general kind of turned most people away from him. Luckily, they seem to be trying to tone down those sorts of characters in Brawl, and the general physics changes seem like they should be favorable for Link...I'm sure a floaty Fox will be much easier for Link to deal with than a fastfalling Fox.

Percon

Smash Lord
Some stuff that might make you guys happy that I'd noticed:

In one of the vids, someone is cycling through costumes, and I see a purple link, like in FS.

Also, in another vid, I think I caught link taunting. It was the cool looking shealth from TP. :D

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
well, that must mean Sakurai doesnt want people to know what Shiek looks like until he reveals him/her.

like wyvern I am a little sad to hear that link's red and blue costumes have no armour attachments, but because he's still awesome, I'll over look it

ok, now I'm set to main Link, and I'll second main Sonic, Ike and Pit. however, there is two characters I'm waitning on (it would be three, but the Torchic pokeball meant that Blaziken was kinda deconfirmed) which is Lloyd and Lucario. if Lloyd gets n, I'll main him and make Link the first Second main, and I'll knock pit out of my selection. if Lucario gets in, I'll get rid of pit, but keep Link as my main

thanks for the Info egruntz! :)

Florida

イーグランツ
Some stuff that might make you guys happy that I'd noticed:

In one of the vids, someone is cycling through costumes, and I see a purple link, like in FS.

Also, in another vid, I think I caught link taunting. It was the cool looking shealth from TP. :D
Purple? The alternate costumes are a blur to me, but I might recall seeing a purple costume, yes. And could you please provide a link to the video which he taunts? I haven't watched half of those videos since, y'know, I was there.

Did you try bomb jumping while you were playing?
Nope, sorry!

well, that must mean Sakurai doesnt want people to know what Shiek looks like until he reveals him/her.

like wyvern I am a little sad to hear that link's red and blue costumes have no armour attachments, but because he's still awesome, I'll over look it

ok, now I'm set to main Link, and I'll second main Sonic, Ike and Pit. however, there is two characters I'm waitning on (it would be three, but the Torchic pokeball meant that Blaziken was kinda deconfirmed) which is Lloyd and Lucario. if Lloyd gets n, I'll main him and make Link the first Second main, and I'll knock pit out of my selection. if Lucario gets in, I'll get rid of pit, but keep Link as my main

thanks for the Info egruntz! :)
Sure thing! ;)
Link is win material!

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
So it looks like Link isn't going to be gimped. That's good, I've always wanted to play as Link, but kept on having to switch in Melee.

Egrunts, were you a link player before you went to e for all?

Florida

イーグランツ
Here's the video with the Twilight Princess taunt, at around 18 seconds.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dGdrxsikX4A

It almost looks like he canceled out of the taunt with a jump before it was totally finished. Do you have any idea if taunts can be interrupted by the player?
Awesome! Sure looks like a taunt to me!

Hell yes. Faster Link.

Nothing more needs to be said.
I concur, my good sir!
'nuff said. ;)

Egrunts, were you a link player before you went to e for all?
Nope, I played as Falco and Luigi in Melee. I'd occasionally play as Young Link, but I'd stay away from regular Link most of the time.

My oh my, how things have changed! ;)

LGND

Smash Rookie
Link always had good moves but with speed recovery and b's inprovments link might possibly be my main cus he was my 2nd to samus. Also i find it easier to defeat fox players with link than with samus. just cus his heavy falls and slow but strong moves put fox out of rythm but thats just me.

Link = Better faster stronger

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Nope, I played as Falco and Luigi in Melee. I'd occasionally play as Young Link, but I'd stay away from regular Link most of the time.
Awesome, means your not being biased : )

How strong is the pull on the gale boomerang? Does it actually pull people closer, or does it just nudge/tug them closer?

Florida

イーグランツ
Link always had good moves but with speed recovery and b's inprovments link might possibly be my main cus he was my 2nd to samus. Also i find it easier to defeat fox players with link than with samus. just cus his heavy falls and slow but strong moves put fox out of rythm but thats just me.

Link = Better faster stronger
You should definitely give Link a try! :)
Link has a heavy / slow-falling feel to him, as I've said in my first post.

Awesome, means your not being biased : )

How strong is the pull on the gale boomerang? Does it actually pull people closer, or does it just nudge/tug them closer?
;)

The Gale Boomerang's pulling strength is a little hard to determine. There were some situations where I could easily pull an opponent back to me from a couple of feet away, and there were other moments when the Gale Boomerang hardly affected my enemies. So... I don't know, hard to say.

I also don't know if the opponent's damage percent has anything to do with it. That'll be something interesting to ask some people, such as Trevyn. :)

Man, I wish I could've went for more than one day!

And I'm working on Link's moveset to add to the first post! Expect that soon!

jc1sttwin

Smash Journeyman
Great stuff

i'm gonna play with link 1st like i did in ssbm and ssb

i'm very glad they made link better as well

Florida

イーグランツ
*SUBSCRIBED*

Excellent report!

Looking forward to the completion of it.
I'm also praying every playable character from EforAll will have a thorough report.
Keep up the good work!
Great stuff

i'm gonna play with link 1st like i did in ssbm and ssb

i'm very glad they made link better as well
Glad you like my thread, guys!
I've added Link's moveset to the first post! If I'm forgetting anything please let me know!
More to come!

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Hey great to now that Link has gotten even more power now... plan to be using his again for Brawl.

And his bombs are amazing... how much do you think they will be spammed now? XD

Anyways haven't seen his yellow costume but does it look like what happens to you after you drink that fairy juice in TP?

Florida

イーグランツ
The only reason they like you is becaues you went to E for All.

----------

I envy You.
;)

Hey great to now that Link has gotten even more power now... plan to be using his again for Brawl.

And his bombs are amazing... how much do you think they will be spammed now? XD

Anyways haven't seen his yellow costume but does it look like what happens to you after you drink that fairy juice in TP?
I don't know exactly what "yellow" you're talking about.
If you'd get a picture for me I could easily compare. But from what I know, the yellow suit is simply... yellow. No physical features changed, or anything like that. (though I think the shield's design was slightly altered... not sure though).

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Hey egruntz! I have a quick question for you.

What the heck is Link doing in this video at 3:52? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ15BBSQV_k

That doesn't look like the attack pattern for any of his Melee aerials...could it be his forward-air? If it is, it's quite different from Melee. In Melee, he does a forward swing so hard that it twirls him all the way around, delivering a weak hit behind before returning to the neutral position. This is two quick forward slashes.

If it IS the fair, you said that you got a lot of KOs with it. How does it work? Is the first hit strong and the second weak (like in Melee, but with the second swing pointed forwards instead of back)? Are they both strong? Both weaker than before?

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
Oh man, it's going to feel so different playing as this new Link.

It was an easy adjustment from SSB64 to Melee because those games were practically two completely different games, but now that Link is established as a fighter and they didn't change him much, I'm going to have to alter my play for new combos and stuff. I'm going to be expecting a lot of KOs (like with an uAir at around 110-120%) and I'm probably not going to get it. And now that Link's uSmash is a good move, I'm going to have to figure out how to incorporate that into my strategies.

This game is turning out to be a lot of work... AND I CAN'T WAIT FOR IT!!! :D

Legolastom

Smash Hero
;)I don't know exactly what "yellow" you're talking about.
If you'd get a picture for me I could easily compare. But from what I know, the yellow suit is simply... yellow. No physical features changed, or anything like that. (though I think the shield's design was slightly altered... not sure though).
Well all it does is give Link a yellow glow and change his costume to a dark yellow... (It also times his attack power by two and refills all his hearts ; ) but I don't remember any shield design change to it...

But yellow seems like an interesting costume colour... imagine how cool it would be if Sonic had a yellow colour change XD (But his colours are the lamest so far).

Florida

イーグランツ
Hey egruntz! I have a quick question for you.

What the heck is Link doing in this video at 3:52? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ15BBSQV_k

That doesn't look like the attack pattern for any of his Melee aerials...could it be his forward-air? If it is, it's quite different from Melee. In Melee, he does a forward swing so hard that it twirls him all the way around, delivering a weak hit behind before returning to the neutral position. This is two quick forward slashes.

If it IS the fair, you said that you got a lot of KOs with it. How does it work? Is the first hit strong and the second weak (like in Melee, but with the second swing pointed forwards instead of back)? Are they both strong? Both weaker than before?
Hard to tell, but it does look like his fair. I can't remember exactly if Link still spins around when performing it, but his fair is still relative to his Melee version. Also the attack was just a good finisher for opponents with mid - high damage. Pretty damage-giving, and great knockback!

Well all it does is give Link a yellow glow and change his costume to a dark yellow... (It also times his attack power by two and refills all his hearts ; ) but I don't remember any shield design change to it...

But yellow seems like an interesting costume colour... imagine how cool it would be if Sonic had a yellow colour change XD (But his colours are the lamest so far).
I don't remember a glow, but his costume certainly had a darkish yellow hue to it. So that could've been where it originated from. And yes, Sonic's costumes are the lamest so far. I really would've appreciated a red Sonic, y'know? XD

Hey egruntz, is wavedashing back?
Nope. Wavelanding still remains, however.
Go check out Gimpy's stickied topic in the General Brawl Discussion for more info on that!

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Nope. Wavelanding still remains, however.
Go check out Gimpy's stickied topic in the General Brawl Discussion for more info on that!
That doesn't make any sense to me...
Isn't wavelanding just a wavedash except following through with the entire jump as opposed to just cancelling it?

EDIT:
Bahaha! I see you're still holding me to that bet with Mario's FLUDD? Good.
So, am I right?

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
"Wavelanding" in Brawl has nothing to do with airdodging. People have just reported that they slide a lot when they land sometimes. I don't think it's been totally figured out yet, but it might have something to do with aerial attacks (there's a GIF floating around where Mario lands after a bair and slides way too far backwards).

Florida

イーグランツ
That doesn't make any sense to me...
Isn't wavelanding just a wavedash except following through with the entire jump as opposed to just cancelling it?

EDIT:
Bahaha! I see you're still holding me to that bet with Mario's FLUDD? Good.
So, am I right?
Well, since we can no longer fully control the direction we airdodge, wavedashing is impossible. Wavelanding however isn't, since we can just airdodge close to the ground as we fall.

And yeah, you were right ;)
Kudos.

Edit:
Except the part about no forward-motion. Hehe :D

"Wavelanding" in Brawl has nothing to do with airdodging. People have just reported that they slide a lot when they land sometimes. I don't think it's been totally figured out yet, but it might have something to do with aerial attacks (there's a GIF floating around where Mario lands after a bair and slides way too far backwards).
I've tried wavelanding, it was tricky with the Wiimote, but I pulled it off a few times.

I'll go ahead and edit Link's grabs into the first post.
They're the same style as well, only since the characters are a lot more floaty, chaingrabbing with Link is even more harder to perform than what it was in Melee.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
I thought chaingrabbing with Link was explicitly made to be impossible. Doesn't his grab never work if the character is even a tiny bit in the air, unlike other throws?

Oh, and by the way, the neutral aerial kick isn't in the first post. I assume it's probably the same as in Melee, but you might as well put it up for the sake of completion and comment on any slight changes it may have. It is a pretty important move for Link, after all.

Florida

イーグランツ
I thought chaingrabbing with Link was explicitly made to be impossible. Doesn't his grab never work if the character is even a tiny bit in the air, unlike other throws?

Oh, and by the way, the neutral aerial kick isn't in the first post. I assume it's probably the same as in Melee, but you might as well put it up for the sake of completion and comment on any slight changes it may have. It is a pretty important move for Link, after all.
This is why I love the edit button! :p

I always seem to forget about nairs whenever making / speculating a moveset.
I'll go edit that now, thanks!

And I could've sworn that Link's grab could grab opponents in air.
If not, then my bad, I'll edit that out. But still, tech-chase-grabbing is "even tougher"! :p

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Well, since we can no longer fully control the direction we airdodge, wavedashing is impossible. Wavelanding however isn't, since we can just airdodge close to the ground as we fall.

And yeah, you were right ;)
Kudos.

Edit:
Except the part about no forward-motion. Hehe :D
BLAST! Oh well, I was like 80% right. Good enough for me. :chuckle: I iz so smrt!

And I could've sword that Link's grab could grab opponents in air.
If not, then my bad, I'll edit that out. But still, tech-chase-grabbing is "even tougher"! :p
You can grab aerial opponents with Link, but you couldn't catch them like through their feet (like with most characters, basically MUST be a body shot) and you had to be closer (somewhere around less than 1/2 the length of the entire hookshot for it to be a successful grab).

And yes, nAirs are important, especially when it comes to Link... SO STOP FORGETTING!!!
:mad:GWAAAAAR!!! :mad:

Top Bottom