• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New How To: Gliding

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
Dojo Link: Gliding

New How To: Gliding

Characters like Pit, Meta Knight and the Pokémon Trainer’s Charizard are envied at first glance for their wings.

Rumor has it they can use those wings to sail through sky like gliders. But that can’t be true, can it?

They... They’re really flying!

Magnificent!

From the perspective of the rules of Smash, I sense that mastering this skill could be quite beneficial. That is, IF you can master it...

First, do a midair jump!

If you continue holding the jump button, you’ll start gliding.

You don’t have to hold down the jump button, though. At the peak of your midair jump, you can also rapidly tilt the Control Stick backward to forward to link the jump to a glide.

Tilt the stick down (or forward) to angle down.

Tilt the stick up (or back) to aim high.

Since it’s glider-style flight, you fly based on how you’re angled. You can control both your angle and your speed by pitching your "nose" up or down.

You can’t change direction, though, so be careful!

If you stall out in midair or get attacked, your flight will get cancelled.​

Hong

The Strongest
This update is quite welcome in my eyes. This will more likely than not also be available to King Dedede and Ridley

iMichael

Smash Lord
because Kirby wasnt that good lol so why have two creations on a game that your developing not be GOD its gonna either be one or the other *sorry Kirby*

Aayla

Smash Cadet
I think pit will take a while for setting on foot down land when he glide in the second way (stick down)

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
If you stall out in midair or get attacked, your flight will get cancelled.

i cant wait to blast these winged pieces of crap out of the sky!!!

Mega Buster FTW!!!!

Hong

The Strongest
Yeah. This is just more salt in the wounds for Kirby players. God, Sakurai better give Kirby something really, really good. Perhaps give him super strength since that's a part of his character. >.>;

Drascin

Smash Journeyman
Why do I seem to feel that Sakurai is making Metaknight a little TOO good...
We still don't know what his shortcomings are, but yeah, he does look like top tier material from where I'm standing too. Can't really fault him, we all tend to go a bit overboard with our favorites ;).

Anyway, as to the update, it's rather welcome to finally know how the gliding works.

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
Oh god...so, what, he's trying to ruin the game for tourneys or something?

Considering it's a new game, how do YOU know how it'll be for tournies?

Again people this isn't Melee, get over it.

As for the update, looks like there's a bit of a learning curve. Unable to switch directions can easily ruin you if you don't watch it, and how fast is the gliding?

Shakezoola

Smash Cadet
I hope it won't be that the flying characters will have a big advantage over the others and make the tier list imbalanced. Another MvC2? Mag/Storm/Sentinel all flying all top tier. Metaknight and pit are looking REAL good right now...lol.
you're forgetting that it isn't as if Smashes goal is to make everything balanced. I can see your complaints, but keep in mind that this isn't a "traditional-it-tries-to-keep-everything-balanced-tier-list" type of game.

iMichael

Smash Lord
I'd like to see em fly/glide when Samus or Mario grabs the Smash Ball ^_^

Zero Laser and Mario Finale ftw

and 200TH POST FTW!

Hong

The Strongest
Well considering King Dedede is "floaty" like Kirby I wouldn't think he'd have a move like this anyway. Nice update though.
That's different. Kirby flys by flapping his arms. King Dedede glides like a balloon in the wind.

SOJ

Smash Journeyman
WOOOOW!!! This is the most amazing update of the week. Sakurai wasn't kidding when he said that there will be better mid-air battles. I am so looking forward to mastering this technique!

It's too early to make that kinda judgement. I think it will add to new strategies into the game. Even with this new technique, it looks like it's easy to make a mistake (like stall or tilt the wrong way). We'll just have to see.

jdironfist

Smash Cadet
It seems similar to Peach's floating, which wasn't the most broken thing about Peach. Yeah, it's a good thing to be able to do, but just as many players play Falco, Fox, Marth, and Sheik, so it's not like everyone will play the gliders. The gliding will probably be like that.

It seems like the most beneficial thing to come of it is a sweet recovery, nothing more. Maybe the gliding will have some sweet implications in the adventure mode, but really, since you can't change directions and since you get knocked down if you get attacked, it doesn't seem super duper.

I love the idea, I just don't think it's going to be broken at all.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
That's different. Kirby flys by flapping his arms. King Dedede glides like a balloon in the wind.
I understand what you mean, but perhaps King Dedede could have something similar to "gliding" I honestly wouldn't expect Sakurai to reveal him along with the other characters that can glide, there is a chance if Ridley is playabe he'll have gliding also.

Exorcist

Smash Journeyman
Go to the mirror right now and slap yourself as hard as you can.

This will truly bring a new flavor to the tourney scene if some of these gliding characters will be decent. I very much doubt that you could attack spam like Peach can from float so it's not as if it's incredibly cheap or anything, it just make them have a badazz recovery. People who will complain about this are the same people who complain about "Wow why give Mario a better recovery" and "Wtf some heavy characters have unflinchable recovery moves....thats cheap".... come on guys, get realistic. These are brilliant ideas. And Sakurai must be very careful in not obviously overpowering any technique.

Even though I don't see myself using a glider, it will be amazing to play against one.

Finally a "How to Play" that people could actually be excited to discuss.

iMichael

Smash Lord
Did anyone ever notice in the 1st trailer(I think).....but you can see MetaKnight glide...its on Pits stage and Snakes on it to if that helps you find it oh and the platforms are breaking.....

Hong

The Strongest
I understand what you mean, but perhaps King Dedede could have something similar to "gliding" I honestly wouldn't expect Sakurai to reveal him along with the other characters that can glide, there is a chance if Ridley is playabe he'll have gliding also.
Oh, I never said that he would. Of course he wouldn't reveal any new characters just like that. :p

I was just saying for where to anticipate the implication of this new technique. That's all.

:034:

Smash Hero
No such thing as unbalance. Gliding doesn't last forever, and it obviously counts as a third jump. And, you won't be going pretty fast, so it won't be that hard to get hit while gliding.

Hong

The Strongest
Did anyone ever notice in the 1st trailer(I think).....but you can see MetaKnight glide...its on Pits stage and Snakes on it to if that helps you find it oh and the platforms are breaking.....
Gliding was shown in movies 1 and 2. We just didn't know how it was performed up until now.

Weed

Smash Lord
Anyone have any idea what stage they're on?
This leads me to predict a stage update tomorrow..or more mindgames :O

gnosis

Smash Lord
It says that your 'flight can be canceled', but does this mean that you can just midair and start gliding again, or are you limited to one glide per aerial session like Peach's float?

And can you stop gliding whenever you want? Or are you stuck once you start until you're interrupted? Questions questions.

Top Bottom