• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Interesting 'Facts' 2.0

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
This is a remake of an old thread, 'Interesting Facts.' Let us all share interesting facts with each other.

However, remember, these are supposed to be INTERESTING facts, not random. For example, posting that 'Jump*Start 2nd Grade' ran for Windows 95, 98, and 3.1/3.11 would be considered spam, as, though that is indeed a fact, few would consider it to be interesting.

___

Elvis weighed 230 lbs. at the time of his death.

New Hampshire license plates have the motto 'Live free or Die' on them. These plates are manufactured by prison inmates.

Napoleon and Hitler both had one testicle.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Every day, about 6 babies worldwide are given to the wrong parents.

The shortest complete sentence in the english language is "I am."

There are 4 English words with no rhymes: Month, silver, orange, and purple. Circus is not one of them.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Jamminjohn is right.

And some people **** dolphins.

MysticKenji

Smash Master
Go is used in an imperative mood so it doesn't need a noun since "you" is implied.
NVM then.

And I suppose I need a fact now.

Hm...

Here's one:

"A single cup of gasoline, when ignited, has the same explosive power as five sticks of dynamite."

EDIT: Actually, that's not always true. "There", "now" and "here" are also implied.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Anyway, following up on my people have sex with dolphins comment:

I found out about it in the Luigi forum, where C_3 made a topic about those pimping Luigi controllers, to which I said:

GAW said:
*gasps*

I think I would make love to a dolphin for one of those.
Very random, I know, but it's what popped to the top of my head as an extreme to get something. Anyways...

Randall00 Responded with this:

Randall00 said:
http://www.sexwork.com/family/dolphins1.html
I know, wtf, right?

_kSo_

Smash Master
Anyway, following up on my people have sex with dolphins comment:

I found out about it in the Luigi forum, where C_3 made a topic about those pimping Luigi controllers, to which I said:

Very random, I know, but it's what popped to the top of my head as an extreme to get something. Anyways...

Randall00 Responded with this:

I know, wtf, right?
this article: http://www.sexwork.com/family/dolphins1.html is quite disturbing...however i must say the way the author phrases it makes it seem moreso odd than disturbing. Props to the writer i guess. but still the idea makes me cringe inside

fact(? not sure where I heard this, but it sounds right)

New Jersey and California have the highest concentration of competitive ssb64 players in the USA.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
The old thread was awesome, I was checking it just last night.
I think I'm gonna say the same facts as I said then(+ 2 more):

- On the very moment you are having an orgasm, you have no thoughts or feelings(this only applies on that very single moment when all the signals are send to your brain, and if I remember correctly, your brain has a small short circuit).
- Pigs can have orgasms that last 30 minutes, human orgasms only last 3 to 10 seconds.
- Women have 2 different types of orgasms, clitoral and ******l.
- In the Medieval Age , people thought there were (standing?) closer to God when having an orgasm.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Wow, Riciardos, too much information.

I have a fact: Riciardos lives in a basement with a shotgun and bear-mace, waiting for the bear cavalry of the bearpocalypse to invade.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
The longest record flight distance for a flying squirrel is 2.5 miles.

If you post an incorrect fact in this thread, people will attack it like piranahs.

Sunkurn has the lowest base stats of any pokemon; Arceus has the highest.

Two mammals lay eggs: The echidna, and the platypus.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
STFUppercut, you know what I mean. It does, don't you know that water magically shrinks your body.

Another one: All magic tricks can be easily seen through if you ignore what the magician is saying and don't look where he tells you to look.

Ensee

Smash Ace
If you went out into space, you would explode before you suffocated because there's no air pressure.
If you fart consistently for 6 years and 9 months, enough gas is produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb.
The male praying mantis cannot copulate while its head is attached to its body. The female initiates sex by ripping the male's head off.
Starfish don't have brains.
Most dust particles in your house are made from dead skin.
Michael Jordan makes more money from Nike annually than all of the Nike factory workers in Malaysia combined.
Pearls melt in vinegar.
On average, 100 people choke to death on ball-point pens every year.
A snail can sleep for three years.
Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing.
A crocodile cannot stick its tongue out.
If Barbie were life-size, her measurements would be 39-23-33. She would stand seven feet, two inches tall. Barbie's full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Alright, Praying mantis sex ftw

You wouldn't explode, you would have some burst seems perhaps, but your skin is tough enough to conceals the liquid in your body, and your muscle and skeletal structure wouldn't bust.

Almost everything you consume has corn in it. I'm having corn for dinner with some corned corn on the side.

cF=)

Smash Lord
- Your body is creating and killing 15 million red blood cells per second.
- French was the official language of England for over 600 years.

Sandy

Smash Champion
If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days, you would have produced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee. (Hardly seems worth it)

A pig's orgasm lasts for 30 minutes.

(In my next life I want to be a pig)

(How'd they figure this out, and why?)

Humans and dolphins are the only species that have sex for pleasure.

(Is that why Flipper was always smiling?)

(And pigs get 30-minute orgasms? Doesn't seem fair)

Some lions mate over 50 times a day.

(In my next life I still want to be a pig ... quality over quantity)

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Aaargh, I hate threads like this because they spread so much misinformation. If it were all interesting, true facts and not a whole bunch of myths, I wouldn't mind it as much.

Napoleon and Hitler both had one testicle.
This is a myth as far as I know. Hitler did not have just one. I couldn't find much information on Napoleon's boy(s) though, except on "interesting facts" websites, so I'm going to assume that is also a myth.

The human head weighs eight pounds.
This depends entirely on the person in question. It can vary widely between lighter people and heavier people.

- Your body is creating and killing 15 million red blood cells per second.
It's actually about 3 million per second. In other words, about 10 to 11 billion RBCs are created and destroyed in a human every hour.

If you fart consistently for 6 years and 9 months, enough gas is produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb.
Now this is just blatantly false. You could fart for a hundred years and the energy produced (however that would be measured) would not come close to even a fraction of the energy of even the weakest atom bomb.

when you are submerged in water your head accounts for almost half your weight.
Schweppes was right on calling BS here. This is also blatantly false.

Riciardos said:
On the very moment you are having an orgasm, you have no thoughts or feelings
This claim is dubious at best... it's true that other sensory perception is reduced when nearing orgasm, but it's a stretch to say "you have no thoughts or feelings".

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days, you would have produced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee. (Hardly seems worth it)

Fact: Sandtiger and a few other of you kids out there are big fans of plagiarism.

He totally copied that from a chain letter that's been going around for the last few years.

Fact: Giving credit where credit is due is acceptable. Not doing so makes you look like a douche.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
FACTS THAT ARE TRUE! Or mostly true.
Now I haven't included every true fact here, because that would be too many. But a couple that I felt like finding information on:

Pearls melt in vinegar.
That is true... well, they don't really melt, they dissolve. But it's the acidic nature of vinegar (acetic acid) that dissolves pearls. So it would be more correct to say "pearls dissolve in acid", any acid; you could potentially dissolve them in orange juice too.

New Hampshire license plates have the motto 'Live free or Die' on them. These plates are manufactured by prison inmates.
This is true. The law allowing this was passed in 1935.
A healthy, adult human brain has up to 4 quadrillion synapses per second.
True-ish... estimates range between less than 1 to about 5 quadrillion synapses. A newborn infant's brain has about 10 quadrillion.

"A single cup of gasoline, when ignited, has the same explosive power as five sticks of dynamite."
True-ish.
A gallon of modern gasoline contains about 120,000,000 Joules of energy. A stick of dynamite contains about 2,000,000 Joules (it's actually a tiny bit more, but let's stick with even numbers for simplicity).

One cup (the US measurement) is 1/16 of a gallon, so a measuring cup of gasoline contains about 7,500,000 Joules. So actually, a cup of gasoline is equal to about 3.75 sticks of dynamite, not five.

MysticKenji

Smash Master
^^ Hm. Must have been an overestimation, then. It's still pretty cool though

How about this one:

"The banana tree cannot reproduce itself. It can be propagated only by the hand of man."

mathos

Smash Champion
I've actually heard something about the lack of feeling and such during an orgasm. However I read that its a state of unconsciousness. Which could explain a lot <.<

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Every day, about 6 babies worldwide are given to the wrong parents.
Fact: Scientists who study these things are morons.
And some people **** dolphins.
- On the very moment you are having an orgasm, you have no thoughts or feelings(this only applies on that very single moment when all the signals are send to your brain, and if I remember correctly, your brain has a small short circuit).
- Pigs can have orgasms that last 30 minutes, human orgasms only last 3 to 10 seconds.
- Women have 2 different types of orgasms, clitoral and ******l.
Fact: Scientists who study these things are geniuses.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
"The banana tree cannot reproduce itself. It can be propagated only by the hand of man."
This is true of the cultivated edible banana tree (ie, tree that produces bananas without seeds). The edible banana tree has a triploid set of chromosomes (two from one parent, one from the other), which renders its seeds useless (they don't grow). But the tree can still produce fruit. So in other words, it relies on humans (through a number of techniques that I won't talk about right now) to continue growing fruit.

Top Bottom