• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Discussion ~ Final Week Ganon/Falcon/Link >__>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
The key is field control, not which stage he has an advantage in.

Although I do agree Falco has a major advantage in battlefield (NAIR NAIR NAIR!!!) Falco and Snake are even on Final D. Its just a matter to get Snake out of campy mode and punish him hard for abandoning field control.

clowsui

Smash Legend
If you ever play a Snake, the crucial aspect is getting a moving stage that allows you to shift positions constantly (i.e. Rainbow Cruise, Port Town, Castle Siege). That way, its difficult for Snake to control the area as well with DC'd Usmash, grenades and mines. The matchup overall is 70-30 in Snake's favor simply because of his overpoweredness (Usmash, ftilt, some aerials, explosives)...but if you counter right then you'll do pretty well.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Falco definitely, definitely, definitely, is one of the few characters to have an advantage over Snake. I'd go so far as to even say a 7/10 or 8/10 advantage.

Here's an easy way of looking at it. What are Snake's main weapons?

-Grenades: Useless against Falco. They can be shined back easily, since they've got such a slow rate of fire. Spamming slightly earlier SHDLs can make them blow up in his face. A good Falco should never be touched by a grenade.
- Mines and C4: It takes half a second to blow these up with the Shine.
- Nikita as an edgeguard: Shine, Curved UpB, and Cancelled Phantasm makes this very hard, if not impossible against Falco.
- Gated (Hyphen, DLX, Kara, whatever) Upsmash, Boosted UpSmash: Learn the timing of the move (It's always the same) and Shine him on his approach.
- Jab Combo, FTilt, Utilt: Obviously there's no hard counter for these things. But that's what spotdodging is for. These are vicious. The only viable counter to these is smart play. Use the Shine to make some room if you feel pressured. If he trips, techchase and punish. Falco is FAR from outmatched in close quarters. SH Phantasm can give quite a bit of breathing room in the worst situations.
- Bair: Snake is a huge target. Any time that Snake is in the air, you should be spamming lasers at him. His jump is essentially your shorthop. If he gets in too close in the air, look for the shieldgrab. If that's not an option. retreat.

See, the huge thing with this matchup is that Snake can't camp. As in, properly playing Falco makes him unable to camp. Falco has the advantage because he can outcamp the camper. If he tries, he'll take bits of damage here and there, and Falco will be entirely untouched. This reduces him to a melee fighter. Strategies against him:

- Chaingrab, chaingrab, chaingrab. The amount of gimp kills I've gotten off Snake with the CG is probably more than every other character combined. Any time you can succesfully link it to the dair should be a free kill. Why? Because even if he manages to jump out of the spike and Cypher back up to the stage, he's still recovering from below you. Which means grab his Cypher. Bam, free stock, easy as that. I can't stress this enough; any time you're in close with a low-percent Snake, bring the fight close to the edge and look for the grab. This in and of itself, IMO, gives Falco the advantage in close quarters.

- Keep your distance. I know this goes against what I said above, but hey, this game is all about options, right? Falco has such a clear-cut advantage over Snake at a distance, any time you're here is almost like free percent. Spam SHDL. If he's using grenades, try to start the SHDL a little earlier than usual. The second laser comes out where the grenade does. I've had a few occurrences where the laser hit the grenade and caused it to explode in his face. They generally stop using grenades altogether after that. And of course, you've always got the Shine.

- When recovering: Keep your second jump as long as possible. Snakes love using the Nikita to edgeguard. Double jump + Shine eliminates that option while still allowing you to recover. Anything else can be handled via the Phantasm. Although it may seem like a good idea to go under the stage and upb to the edge, I really don't recommend it. I've had several Snake players in the past just fall, bair stage spike, and recover with ease while I'm in my oh-so-laggy startup. I've also seen a few Snakes spam jab (which I thought was pretty smart) to mess with my Phantasm. If this happens, use the double jump you saved to stun them with the laser, and you should have enough time to Phantasm through them. If not, you can always just time it to go straight to the edge.

- When above Snake: Don't be stupid. You're at a huge disadvantage here. Phantasm to the side once you're low, since Snake is slow and has difficulty chasing. Re-establish your ground game and go from there. Airdodging doesn't work as well against Snake due to the nature of his UpSmash. UpTilt, UpAir, and UpSmash are all scary things: don't mess with them.

- When Snake recovers above you: This, I've had trouble with. Problem is, Dair goes through all Falco's attacks and Bair is lightning-quick. Since he can use all these options, plus airdodging, off the Cypher, I've yet to find a viable strategy, and have taken to retreating and firing lasers while he's hanging there, vulnerable. His super armor actually works in your favour for this, since you're just trying to rack up damage anyway. If anyone has any input on this, awesome.

- When in close with Snake: Like I said before, no big secret here. Just smart play. Work for the chaingrab. AAA to Shine combo is great and sets up for tech chasing if he trips. Shine is your friend here, since it severely hinders Snake's venerable approach.

- When Snake is crawling: Okay, so your lasers can't hit him, so what? He has three options at this point:
1- Don't move.
Solution: Don't move.
2 - Crawl towards you
Solution: Wait. SH Phantasm. Repeat.
3 - Stand up
Solution: Resume SHDL spam.

There, I think that's everything I wanted to say. Just use lasers to make him approach you. Use lasers and shine to deal with his sliding...mortar...thing. If I forgot anything, please call me on it. Oh yeah, and in terms of Falco vs Snake: FinalD > Battlefield. You can outcamp Snake on a horizontal plane, platforms are Snake's friend.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Great post poure_awesome ! ;)

So, we will go soon on third week. About whom would you like to speak?

I was personnaly thinking to Pit. :)

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
nah, I think we should go on with like Mr. Game & Watch or Olimar. as they cause a whole lot more trouble for Falco than pit.

zamz

Smash Journeyman
I second Olimar...He's a nasty opponent if you don't know how to approach. I'd love to hear strategies against him.

Ratherion

Smash Journeyman
If it's Olimar I can contribute a LOT.

I would like your point of view : Which stage is in the advantage of Falco, Vs Snake ?

Finale Destination or Battlefield ?

Personnally, i would say Battlefield : You can catch him easier, gimp his recovery easier, and win in vertical vs. (He has his UTilt though...)

In horizontal, on FD... Falco looses :/
Actually, I'd say Falco wins on FD more.

Platforms are Snake's friend, especially how he can abuse grenades, mines and C4 with them.

On FD your Laser Spam is supremely powerful, all he can do is:

Crawl - {Shine/Dair}
Nikita - {Shine}
Mortar Slide - {Shine}

Shine is just the ultimate spacer in this game, isn't it?

Blad01

Smash Lord
nah, I think we should go on with like Mr. Game & Watch or Olimar. as they cause a whole lot more trouble for Falco than pit.
I could contribute for G&W, but maybe can we keep some hard matchs for later ^^
I'll see ;)

If it's Olimar I can contribute a LOT.

Actually, I'd say Falco wins on FD more.

Platforms are Snake's friend, especially how he can abuse grenades, mines and C4 with them.

On FD your Laser Spam is supremely powerful, all he can do is:

Crawl - {Shine/Dair}
Nikita - {Shine}
Mortar Slide - {Shine}

Shine is just the ultimate spacer in this game, isn't it?
Hum yeah, that's a point of view. But if your opponent knows the Shine, he can easily counter you...
Crawl > Shine > Shield
Nikita > L or R
Mortar Slide : Shine here ? It's pretty fast... I would more IAP (Phantasm).

But yeah, the match-up vs Snake is all about anticipation. The one who anticipes better will win. Yeah, it's pretty even. But if Falco succeeds in grabbing Snake, he has almost already won for the current stock, though. ^^

zamz

Smash Journeyman
Shine doesn't hit crawlers? I thought for sure it did D:
I really wish it did! But, your shine is a slight millionth-of-an-inch off the ground. It'll hit almost anything besides the occasional jigglypuff ducking. And even then, they're practically helpless. All but snake who can attack half the stage from his ducked position won't be able to hit you. They have to get up eventually. And from there you've got them.

Many of the lower leveled players will experiment with crawling one time or another, thinking it's to their advantage. But really, crawling makes them relatively immoble, stuck with a slight delay before they can do anything at all. Falco can typically run-attack before they unduck to stop him. Or better yet, try a short-hopped sweetspotted D-Air. It hurts and leads into a nice B-air combo.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Week #3 : Olimar

We are Sunday in France, and i think we had a great discussion about SNake, so... let's go on ! :)

Week #3 : Olimar
Take a look at the first page's introduction

I don't have a lot of experience against good Olimars, so i'm not gonna participate this week, or just a little bit ^^
But i'm gonna learn from your posts ;)

Ratherion

Smash Journeyman
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=169811 - That should help some.

And Zamz pretty much summed up all I had to say about Olimar, that and I'm too lazy to re-type it myself ;)

Zamz said:
From what I've found, D-Air is successful at an angle. Never attack Olimar from the top or you will get destroyed. Come at him diagnally and he has no way to stop you other than his Up-B...and even then, that move seems to miss more than hit. D-Air also seems to work well in the air. A well timed attack WILL spike Olimar.

B-Air is your best friend. It either overrides or cancels pretty much any Olimar move. I probably use this one more than I should...and it's yet to fail me. Mainly, it is hard to punish Falco's B-Air...that's important.

Shorthopped lasors work wonders. Your best bet is to keep him from ever coming near you. Spamming air-lasors do this well. If he wants to play a projectile war, your reflector comes in handy against his Pikemen. Try to reflect his own creatures onto him...it'll do some damage. If you wish to camp Olimar, be careful, he can close the distance pretty easily with a few well-thrown Pikemen. But, stay away. Olimar is useless from a large enough distance. If he's in the air...you can either attack, or roll. As long as he's not touching the ground, it's almost impossible for him to punish powerrolling.

I'd say I'm more successful playing a projectile game. But up close Falco can fair well enough if Falco is unpredictable. Try not to attack unless you know you'll hit...Olimar can punish easily. D-Smash is pretty useless with such a low range. F-Smash actually works well if your Olimar is recovering from delay. It's range is long enough to hit him.

U-Smash continues to be a quick move that can hit an unsuspecting Olimar and knock him far--perhaps even stock him. But try not to use it too much...if you miss you're bound to get punished. Plus, you don't want your opponent expecting the attack.

Your reflector is a godsend. It can work in most all cases and it spaces well. It reflects pikemen, keeps Olimar from attacking you. Forward-B is useless though, against Olimar. Any attack of Olimar's will stop your quick dash and it'll hurt you.

In a nutshell:
-Olimar can punish -any move- Falco can make if you miss.
-Olimar's range > Falco's range.
-Olimar's moves are quicker than Falco's moves.
-Falco's projectile game > Olimar's projectile game...mainly because Falco's projectile is quicker, goes father, and Olimar can't reflect it. Olimar has to rely on you messing up to hit.
-Falco can typically envade/move better than Olimar, as long as he isn't throwing attacks.
-Falco's Neutral Air, AAA attack or Forward-B are his most convienent ways to remove stuck pikmen quickly without getting hurt.

So, try to evade, wait for the opprotunity and attack.

NEVER:
-Run into a stationary olimar. If he's standing still, lasor him. Let him come to you.
-Freak out about a pikemen and forget about the olimar. As a general rule, they do little damage and most moves you use to attack olimar with will probably remove them anyway. Stay calm. You can remove the pikmen AND do damage to Mr. Olimar.
-Stand on the ground and continually reflect expecting him to Pikemen-spam into it and hurt himself. He's smarter than that, he'll beat your lag with a well-placed F-Air. Try not to use reflector if he has any possibility at all of attacking you in the air. He WILL make it in time...

---

In all, if you're willing to be patient and play slowly, Falco > Olimar. Olimar punishes reckless behavior. Falco needs to be played strategicly, hitting one or two lasors here and there to rack up damage. Throw in a running attack where necessary. Rack enough small damage and go in for the kill.

Azorpatch

Smash Cadet
I think someone should quote zamz's whole post from my "Falco vs Olimar" topic, it's pretty good and complete.

Blad01

Smash Lord
From what I've found, D-Air is successful at an angle. Never attack Olimar from the top or you will get destroyed. Come at him diagnally and he has no way to stop you other than his Up-B...and even then, that move seems to miss more than hit. D-Air also seems to work well in the air. A well timed attack WILL spike Olimar.
Hum... Here is the main problem with Olimar. He can just easily shielgrab, with his huge grab range...

B-Air is your best friend. It either overrides or cancels pretty much any Olimar move. I probably use this one more than I should...and it's yet to fail me. Mainly, it is hard to punish Falco's B-Air...that's important.
Agreed. Olimar's Bair and Fair have pretty little range.

Shorthopped lasors work wonders. Your best bet is to keep him from ever coming near you. Spamming air-lasors do this well. If he wants to play a projectile war, your reflector comes in handy against his Pikemen. Try to reflect his own creatures onto him...it'll do some damage. If you wish to camp Olimar, be careful, he can close the distance pretty easily with a few well-thrown Pikemen. But, stay away. Olimar is useless from a large enough distance. If he's in the air...you can either attack, or roll. As long as he's not touching the ground, it's almost impossible for him to punish powerrolling.
I an't argue here, i didn't play Olimars enough. But that seems right.

I'd say I'm more successful playing a projectile game. But up close Falco can fair well enough if Falco is unpredictable. Try not to attack unless you know you'll hit...Olimar can punish easily. D-Smash is pretty useless with such a low range. F-Smash actually works well if your Olimar is recovering from delay. It's range is long enough to hit him.
I agree about the F-Smash. Plus, it will kill some Pikmin ^^

U-Smash continues to be a quick move that can hit an unsuspecting Olimar and knock him far--perhaps even stock him. But try not to use it too much...if you miss you're bound to get punished. Plus, you don't want your opponent expecting the attack.
Exactly what i think about the U-Smash here.

Your reflector is a godsend. It can work in most all cases and it spaces well. It reflects pikemen, keeps Olimar from attacking you. Forward-B is useless though, against Olimar. Any attack of Olimar's will stop your quick dash and it'll hurt you.
Hum... I don't tink that using too much the reflector is a solution. It becomes very predictable...
About Forward B, i would recommend to use it, but very rarely, just to surprise the opponent.

This post is pretty accurate, in conclusion. But i would to have your point of view on :

1. Chaingrab
2. Olimar' chaingrab (Grab, Fair, Grab)
3. Olimar's grab range

I personnally bet an Olimar with the "Pillaring" Chaingrab :

Down-Throw > Grab > DT > SHFFL Dair > DT > Spike.

I killed his Pikmin, so he couldn't use his Up B to regrab the ledge XD

zamz

Smash Journeyman
1. Chaingrab
Well, I hate to say it but...Falco shouldn't spend too much effort trying to CG. Olimar is CGable, but it's not very effective. It only works to around 30-35%. If you're off on the timing even a little bit, Olimar can jump out with no lag and punish you. But most importantly, by the time you actually grab Olimar, he'll probably be hurt by your reflector/lasors/spacing moves. This racks up damage quickly and you won't have enough room to CG Olimar effectively. It will certainly be luck if you are able to reach the ledge and spike him before he breaks free.

Consider the following: Olimar's grab outranges Falco's grab, can be thrown quicker and it's unpunishable...Falco will have a hell of a time grabbing Olimar. CGing shouldn't be your main concern. I'd drop the idea altogeather, and only take advantage of it if the given situation lets you.

You can still CG Olimar, but don't spend time trying to set it up. Go with the flow and if you see the opprotunity, take it. Otherwise, I think CGing will only hurt Falco in the end. Don't rely on this move as your only Olimar-killer.

2. Olimar' chaingrab (Grab, Fair, Grab)
Well, I can't say I remember being hurt by Olimar's Chaingrab. Any Olimar main I play will use D-Throw. And when he attacks with F-Air, he almost never attempts to grab me again. Sorry, but I can't offer anything for this move.

I think Olimar is afraid that Falco might recover fast enough to punish him. This is something I will look into.
3. Olimar's grab range
Ew! By far the most annoying move Olimar has. It really makes rolling useless, considering you won't roll far enough to be safe from his excellent grab range. This means Falco can't powershield or powerroll effectively against an Olimar on the ground. Olimar will either D-Smash you, grab you or F-Smash you. It's best to approach in the air, or stand back and let him approach you while you sling lasors.

In fact, I believe letting Olimar approach Falco is probably Falco's best chance. Falco vs Olimar is a very -slow- game, where both characters slowly eat away at each other's damage. A couple % here and there, until one of you gets hurt far enough to be gimped/stocked. Charging in blindly and attempting to "hurt" Olimar will only speed up Falco's death.

If you're continually being grabbed and thrown by Olimar, try keeping your distance. You're being too aggressive and you're giving him free %s. If anything, treat the ground like hot lava. Even though Olimar's ariel game is very good, Falco can compete effectively...where as Falco will struggle to compete on the ground.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
great thread idea btw.

I presented this in the falco discussion thread:

hmm... your best offensive should be your defense. You out-"camp" olimar. Your lasers should be effective in getting olimar to approach. If you choose the approach though, dair works pretty well, but uptilt is a great counter to it. your dair goes through olimar's upsmash and hits olimar, but it doesn't go through olimar's upair. I personally use the tilts just as much as the smashes.(most olimar users that I've seen use the smashes WAY too much.) If you come across those users, dair is one of your best friends. If your opponent is like me, just camp with your lasers.

The problem with ftilt as an approach is that you have to be on the ground to use it. (obviously:)) Olimar thrives off opponents that choose to stay grounded when approaching. Olimar can outrange you through the very spammable fsmash, grab, or even tilt. If you happen to be too close to olimar when fighting, either try and grab him, or, if that doesn't seem applicable, jump and dair, or just run and resetup. Most olimars tend to shield more than spot dodge. They'll just catch you attacking and will punish.

I haven't seen anyone use bair as an approach. Olimar is just too short. If you're close enough to olimar to use a bair when he's on the ground, you've already been grabbed. :)

What kind of edgeguard worries me the most?- edgehogging is feared among all olimar players. It's the most efficient way to edgeguard a recovering olimar.

-When I'm below the half way line recovering-
If I'm struggling to get onto the stage, you can always edgehog olimar easily. His recovery won't grab the stage unless the next pikmen in olimar's line-up is a white or a purple. If a non-purple-or-white pikmen trys to latch when you edgehog,(if you don't roll onto the stage) it'll hit you off, but olimar won't latch. Either way, you should just roll onto the stage when I you think I'd try to latch and I won't be able to recover.(sucks for me doesn't it?)

Note: If you go at olimar when he has less than say...4 pikmen(none white or purple) with him(and he's recovering vertically) he'll take the opportunity to hit you with upb b/c he knows he can't get back to the stage anyways.

-When I'm above the half way line recovering-
If I try to float down onto the stage, I have a few options:

4 or more pikmen-

1.) go directly at falco and fair, or dair. OR dodge and use the SAF of the whistle and get back without fighting- this is usually one of my least favorite tactics.

2.) latch my opponent!- If I'm rather close to the edge, but still above it, I can still instantly shoot my pikmen chain at the ledge. It'll hit you away and I can get into the hanging position immediately.

3.)go for the edge- Mostly, I'll do this. It's a safe way to get back to the stage without risking getting hit. If falco trys to edgeguard me, I'll just use a fair to try and space myself. Then, I'll latch.

4.)throw pikmen- this is a very popular way to get back to the edge that works if the opponent fights the pikmen instead of olimar. Olimar users will throw about 3 pikmen to try and catch you offguard, then latch to the edge. It works great most of the time, but fails when you(the falco) go after olimar instead. How to counter-just try and go for a quick edgehog. The olimar will think you'll be distracted, and might not pay attention to you as much. They'll latch and miss b/c you'll be in the way. If it's inevitable that they will latch, just fight off the pikmen the olimar threw.

3 or less-
number 1 and 3 are my best bets in this situation. If I try and latch, it won't b/c it won't be long enough, and throwing all my pikmen is too risky(for obvious reasons) Your solution is to just edgeguard if I try to come at YOU. Just edgehog me if I go anywhere near the edge(but still off the stage)

When Olimar comes back off the platform, just fall back and shoot and wait for olimar to land before deciding what to do next. Olimar's upair, fair, and upb are deadly counters to opponents who try and follow up on hanging olimar.

Does this help? Any more questions?
thoughts?

Triplehelix2.0

Smash Cadet
As an Olimar player, I can say that people tend to laser spam against Olimar., lob the thunder pikmin over the lasers and get him in the air, and use the pikmin chain against him when you trie to phantasm over them. Stay on the ground and spam the shine (helpful)

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Thanks. Mys sticky request has been accepted :)
he eh...sorry to ruin your momment, but actually I don't even use falco... My sticky in my sig is for new posters en general who come in and make worthless threads and such.

Blad01

Smash Lord
he eh...sorry to ruin your momment, but actually I don't even use falco... My sticky in my sig is for new posters en general who come in and make worthless threads and such.
Hum ? "Ruin your moment" ? I didn't think you was a mod ^^ It's just that this thread was stickied, since yesterday ^^

Blad01

Smash Lord
thoughts?
Wow, great post DanGR ! ;D

Yeah it seems that lasers spam, and Dair/UTilt are the most important moves in this match-up.

But i have still a few questions :

1. What do you think an Olimar would do against a Falco. Simply, what is his general behaviour in this match-up ?

2. What do you think of Nair + Jab, Nair + Utilt or Nair + Grab against an Olimar ?

3. Zamz said that the Phantasm is useless against an Olimar. Others points of view on this attack here ?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wow, great post DanGR ! ;D

Yeah it seems that lasers spam, and Dair/UTilt are the most important moves in this match-up.

But i have still a few questions :

1. What do you think an Olimar would do against a Falco. Simply, what is his general behaviour in this match-up ?

2. What do you think of Nair + Jab, Nair + Utilt or Nair + Grab against an Olimar ?

3. Zamz said that the Phantasm is useless against an Olimar. Others points of view on this attack here ?
1.)-Most olimars will probably start to camp you and then approach when you get distracted by the pikmen. If you can "outcamp" olimar then he'll be forced to approach. You'll shine here.(not literally) Still don't underestimate olimar's approach game. It's quite wicked.

2.)-nair+anything doesn't really work at all against olimar in general. His grab is so fast and long ranged that any attacking approaches from the air(except shiek's nair-jabs) just don't work against him. I recommend not approaching, but if you must, I don't really know what you can do... That's the beauty of olimar.(sorry...)

3.)hmm.. It should work just as well against olimar as it would any other fast-move character. The problem with olimar, is that his fsmash and upsmash completly destroy it. So, overall, it's not good v olimar.

Statistics

Smash Cadet
If I may make a comment...

I'm a Snake player and have read through the entire thread, most of it being thoughtful and useful (i'm also studying the Falco matchup as well as learning as many characters as possible).

However, Falco's chaingrab does not work on Snake. Unless Snake is under 10%, after a d-throw Snake can pull out a 'nade. If you d-throw him at that point (and you won't hear the pin the pulled if you grab him at a normal chaingrabbing pace), then either he will eat the 'nade and be farther away from you for another shot at approach, or you'll both eat the 'nade.

That said, it is still advantageous for Falco to attempt grabbing Snake, as a grab will usually equal about 20-30 free damage after the second throw.

This matchup is incredibly interesting, as these characters seem to nullify each other's strengths and reducing the gameplay down to pure mindgames.

Anyways, I apologize for posting this in the middle of Olimar week. I would, however, like to discuss this topic a little more, so if anyone would like to PM me with comments I would appreciate it. Of course, it may also be suitable for me to simply start an anti-Snake thread.

Blad01

Smash Lord
However, Falco's chaingrab does not work on Snake. Unless Snake is under 10%, after a d-throw Snake can pull out a 'nade. If you d-throw him at that point (and you won't hear the pin the pulled if you grab him at a normal chaingrabbing pace), then either he will eat the 'nade and be farther away from you for another shot at approach, or you'll both eat the 'nade.
Hum, interesting. So you say that SNake can pull out a Grenade while Falco is CGing him ? Even when Falco does a walking chaingrab ? It could be good for the Chaingrab thread ^^

Thanks for your post, Statistics ;) If you want to add to add something about Snake, feel free to do it. ;)

However, i would like that we don't forget this little annoying Olimar :p
1.)-Most olimars will probably start to camp you and then approach when you get distracted by the pikmen. If you can "outcamp" olimar then he'll be forced to approach. You'll shine here.(not literally) Still don't underestimate olimar's approach game. It's quite wicked.
Thanks for that, the opponent general behaviour is always good to know :)

2.)-nair+anything doesn't really work at all against olimar in general. His grab is so fast and long ranged that any attacking approaches from the air(except shiek's nair-jabs) just don't work against him. I recommend not approaching, but if you must, I don't really know what you can do... That's the beauty of olimar.(sorry...)
Hum, i sensed that :'(

^^

3.)hmm.. It should work just as well against olimar as it would any other fast-move character. The problem with olimar, is that his fsmash and upsmash completly destroy it. So, overall, it's not good v olimar.
Ok, thanks :) However; it could stille be good as a surprising move, when Olimar is far way, throwing his Pikmen ^^

So, we already have a lot of things about this match-up. The only thing that i would like to clear up is Olimar's chaingrab... :s

Statistics

Smash Cadet
Hum, interesting. So you say that SNake can pull out a Grenade while Falco is CGing him ? Even when Falco does a walking chaingrab ? It could be good for the Chaingrab thread ^^

Thanks for your post, Statistics ;) If you want to add to add something about Snake, feel free to do it. ;)
Yeah, I used to just let Falco kill me with a CG, but then I remembered how Snake can interrupt DDD's CG with a 'nade, so I thought I'd try it. Surprisingly, it works even at low percentages. All the Snake needs to do is mash B.

Another note I have to add is that you shouldn't try to shine an attacking Snake too much. I'm sure that most of you know that shine doesn't hit crawling Snake, and so most of you will shield or shine when he arrives to interrupt his d-tilt. However, this situation is NOT a Falco advantage, but rather a plain rock-paper-scissors mind game.

you shine:
- Snake shields and f-tilts or dash attacks (a good Snake will know the exact distance it hits, and a shielded shine is a free f-tilt or dash attack depending on spacing)

you shield:
- Snake walks one step and grabs you

you grab/attack:
- d-tilt (or f-tilt, never assume he'll use d-tilt) smacks you

Of course, this works the other way as well.

Snake d or f-tilts:
- for d-tilt, shield then shine.
- for f-tilt, block both hits then punish depending on spacing (probably shine or d-smash)

Snake shields:
- you grab (twice ;))

Keep in mind that pro-level Snakes are very patient, and have also learned to hit with only the first hit of f-tilt. I HIGHLY recommend that you try playing Snake for an hour and learn the EXACT range of the first hit of f-tilt, and play your Falco while paying very specific attention to that distance.

Anyway, that's what I have to offer, my friend has a very good Falco and we're working to improve each other's games.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Yes, this crawling situation is pretty dangerous for a Falco. Howver, that is what i found on it :

>> Falco is SHDLing/SHLing
>> SNake crawls towards Falco
>> Then, there is two good possibilities according to me :

you shield:
- Snake walks one step and grabs you
Hum, there is a solution :

>> Falco shields
> Snake D-Tilts ? Perfect, then Falco grab, jump, or SMash OoS.
> Snake tries to grab you ? Dodge, then what you want to continue the fight.

>> Falco SHs once, twice, three times, waiting for Snake.
>> If Snake arrives, go for a Dair. If Snake is afraid of your Dair, he will stop crawling.

--------------​

About Olimar, is there an olimar mainer who could clear his Chaingrab vs Falco ?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sorry, i don't feel like typing a guide on olimar's "chaingrab". It's not really a chaingrab above, say 40%? but anyways,

here's a thread discussing combos in general. page 2 on, it discusses some aspects of the dthrow-fair-ff-dthrow-fair...:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=169445

try to recognize its error in it b/c some people are quite mistaken. discuss as y'all will.

feel free to ask questions. :)

bowz10190

Smash Apprentice
Well on the Olimar subject, it's definatley no EASY match up, but its not his worst. Olimars grab game tears falco up, especially at low percentages. It's easy to take off thrown pikmin at you by a simple neutral a, which is great. Reflector the thrown pikmin can slow down oli. I think you can chaingrab very low percentages, so if you're close to the edge, they have to basically immediatley meteor cancel in order to survive a spike off the edge. I don't have too much experience against oli's, they've become a lot more scarce, or to me at least.
Anyway, watch Oli's INSANE grab game, and make sure that anychance you have to edge hog, do it.

Da N

Smash Journeyman
The vacinity of the planet Earth. (California)
i can't really say much seeing as though I only play very casual oli players but

Against a pikmin spamming olimar, your reflectors your best friend, same with lasers. The lasers can kill a white pikmin with one shot and a blue/red/yellow with two. Purple takes a couple more. Forget about rolling. His d-smash will eat you alive if you try to roll behind him. So stay back, approach from the air but watch out for his fair and bair.

Mostly all I can say.

Blad01

Smash Lord
So, were are going to move on Week #4. To make the Wednersday and Saturday interessant on this thread, i decided to make a little Poll :

You simply say which character you would like to talk about. For the Week #4 :

1) Zelda
2) Fox
3) Lucario

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom