• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Midna for Brawl thread. (Debate the Wolf here!)

Midna In Brawl?

• Only Midna in Brawl!

Votes: 277 30.8%
  • Midna and Wolflink in Brawl!

Votes: 398 44.3%
  • I don't want Midna in there, period!

Votes: 89 9.9%
  • Just give me Wolflink sans Midna!

Votes: 30 3.3%
  • I really couldn't care less.

Votes: 105 11.7%

• Total voters

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
Skull Kid is the masks puppet yes but still skull kid is important because if it wasn't for him taking the mask in the first place there would have been no game.

There where monkeys in OoT?
That doesn't make him a main character however. Yes he plays a role in the game, but not the main one unlike Midna. That's my whole argument against Skull Kid.

Yes there was a monkey in OOT who led you through the lost woods to find the Sacred forest Meadow the first time you get there.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Skull Kid is the masks puppet yes but still skull kid is important because if it wasn't for him taking the mask in the first place there would have been no game.
Ya and we wouldn't have the best Zelda game ever.
There where monkeys in OoT?
They were only in MM and TP. In OoT, you were lead by the song as a kid and had to do it by memory as an adult, I thought (or just look at the zone effect in the tree stumps and remember the last one was a right turn). One leads you through the woods to the witch that you need to find to do the boat ride to get to the Woodfall Temple in MM and one leads you through the miasma to the Forest Temple in TP. D_K probably just mixed them up.

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
I don't see how being the reason the game takes place makes him not a main character.

In any case, whether it's OOT or MM, a monkey helps you find something inportant just like the Skull Kid in TP. Whatever.

As for your comment above, A freak lightning bolt is the reason Link's awakening takes place. Is the lightning a main character too?

Kirye

Smash Ace
Well DK, we could continue this endless debate all day, but in the end, I think both of us just have a different opinion. XD You want her in, I don't, in the end that's all that matters I suppose.

Or maybe i'm just giving in cause my gf's in my house and I could be doing better things.. which I am, after she takes her nap.. Anywho! XD

I suppose Midna does have a chance at being in the game, simply because of how Sheik worked for Melee, but in the end Sheik was just a transformation of Zelda, Midna would be her own character, and therein lies the fact that there are alot of other important chars in the Zelda franchise. o.< I'm personally a huge Vaati fan, but that's me.

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
Well DK, we could continue this endless debate all day, but in the end, I think both of us just have a different opinion. XD You want her in, I don't, in the end that's all that matters I suppose.

Or maybe i'm just giving in cause my gf's in my house and I could be doing better things.. which I am, after she takes her nap.. Anywho! XD

I suppose Midna does have a chance at being in the game, simply because of how Sheik worked for Melee, but in the end Sheik was just a transformation of Zelda, Midna would be her own character, and therein lies the fact that there are alot of other important chars in the Zelda franchise. o.< I'm personally a huge Vaati fan, but that's me.
We won't know until it's released.

Good luck.;)

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Midna (alone) Moveset:

A Combo- Taps opponents with small bursts of Twili Magic (TM)
Running A- Headbutt
^A- Quick upward jab w/ small TM
vA- Low kick w/ small TM

A Smash- Dashes forward surrounded by TM
^A Smash- Upward jab w/ burst of TM
vA Smash- Fire burst of TM at ground, hitting enemies on both sides up

A Aerial- is surrounded by TM
A Smash Aerial- Spikes down w/ TM
^A Aerial- kicks upwards w/ TM
vA Aerial- fires balls of TM downward

B- charges ball of TM
B Smash- fires small beam of TM (very short attack)
^B- Teleport
vB- leaps up sligtly and fires large ball of TM straight down (explosive)

Super Smash Attack- Fused Shadows Midna (need I say more?)

This is a moveset for Midna in her true form (human form if you will).
Tried to create something a bit more original than what is seen in the game, while staying true to her style (twilight, Darkness etc.)

Special Attacks:

B- A projectile ball of Twili Magic that may be charged and fired straight ahead (think Mewtwo and Samus). Fairly reliable attack though slow to charge.

Smash B-Midna Raises her arm and creates a sword of Twili Magic which she then slashes several times in front of her, very graceful and difficult to dodge at close range.

Down B-Midna gets on her knees and and hits the ground with open palms, yelling an incantation in her TP voice, Spikes of Twili magic rise from the ground inflicting great damage on nearby opponents. If triggered in the air Midna will hasten her descent and perform the attack upon landing. Also if any opponents are snared on her descent they will be caught by Midna and slammed down to be right in the middle of her attack causing extra damage.

Up B-Midna shouts and disappears in a burst of Twilight magic only to reappear at a further desired point , Very Mewtwo-esque. Quick, easy to control and even a handy evasive move, but cannot damage opponents.

Smash Attacks:

Smash-Midna pulls her arm back as if to "charge" an attack, on release she Thrusts her arm forward and creates her Twili Sword in a single powerful thrust attack. Very powerful with great potential to KO an enemy.

Smash Down-Midna lowers herself and creates a circle of Twilight on the ground around her. Fast, but short range and only hurts enemies on the ground, low damage but good KO ability.

Smash Up-Midna creates a circle of twilight above her, Pretty much the same as Down only above her rather than below.

SUPER SMASH:

On aquiring a smash emblem Midna summons up all her power into her sword of Twilight, she then unleashes all her Twili magic in the form of a massive dark cloud to be expelled all around her, any opponents caught by this attack will be cursed and will move slower and be made weaker. Does not inflict damage. lasts for about 20 seconds, great opportunity to KO.

Taunt: Midna spins around once then pushes her hair back with a relaxed Sigh.

Other notes:

Midnas power comes from technique not from muscle, all of her attacks including throws are done in a stylish almost dance like matter. In the hands of a pro she can be the most unpredictable character in the game. She also uses a lot of combo attacks.

Midna is a light and quick character with low attack power, any decent amount of damage from her will come from combos in basic attacks and some special attacks.

Her emblem is the broken piece of the fused shadow that she wore exclusively throughout the game.
Victory theme is a redone shortened version of "Midna's Theme".

Even though I'm aware of the game difference I feel her Theme should be "Dark World" from alttp.
Now that is an impressive move-set. I'm gald I'm not the only one who sees the potential for including Midna in her "true form".

Also, in response to those who question whether Midna is important enough in the Zelda series to be included in Brawl, I'd like to point out that Sakura saw fit to give an entire move-set to Zelda's alter ego Skeik even though she had only appeared in Oot. Midna is at least as important as Sheik so I think her chances are pretty good.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Midna solo: it's the only way.

On a side note, I'd like to see Vaati...but he's not the most well-known character, whenever you fight him, he's in a very un-human form (a bit difficult to work into Smash), but more importantly: he wasn't in TP. That's important because it seems (like Melee to OOT) Brawl's Zelda chars (admittedly, only one so far) are modeled after their TP versions.

Black/Light

Smash Master
. . . I have to say, I think I changed my mind on the topic.
My suggestion is Midna (solo).

HUGE TP SPOILERS ACOMEIN
(this is my official Midna suggestion post)

As a character she is very much unique. She is a
Twili which is a race in TLoZ that where sent to the Twilight Realm for pacticing/ mastering Shadow Magic (which isn't good nor evil).
Personality wise, she is a gem in the land of Zelda. Their hasn't been any character with as much dapth as her in said series from what I have seen. The way she acts cold at the beginning but, lil by lil, starts to warm up to Link is a sight to behold ("pure Quality" as they say in London).

Move-set wise, the shear amount of doors having "Shadow Magic" can open up for her is amazing to say the least. She can use her magic to do such things as the "bubble/ atomic teleportation" and the "Twilt ball" she did when she first met Link. Her hair hand could also do a pretty large range of complex gustures that could be unique in it's proformance. And seeing as I think that Shiek aint coming back
I will say that her True Twilt form (pic http://imageigloo.com/images/4844massivespoilers.jpg ) could be her transformation and she could work like a mix Magic and Ninja like attacks. She could even use a Trident because thats the weapon her other (big mama-jamma fused shadows) from used.

"But she was only seen in the last 5 minuts!". . . .Soo? She would add greatly to Midna's uniqueness just as Shiek did for Zelda.

Reason, as we all know TP is a huge hit and seems to be the back bone to the Wii's release in terms of hard core games. Nintendo has been saying for YEARS that this is be the greatest LoZ game to be created as of now so why not give the main character from this game a SSBB shot? She has a HUGE fan-base on the internet, a great personality as the result of pure character development, is very much unique in ALL asspects and both Shiggy and Eiji Aonuma (TP Dev) really like her. . . (According to Sakurai, his talk with Eiji Aonuma at E3 05 was one of the deciding factures in his choice to make brawl)
In fact, TP is now the start of the "all console LoZ games will have the realistic style" decision by Eiji Aonuma(. . .atleast, the console games HE makes for Zelda)

"She is too new and it spoils tp's ending". . . Oh please, Midna is one of the first things we actually knew about on the subject of TP from WAY back in 04-03 (w/e it was dou out first). And by the time Brawl comes out mostly everyone would have known about the ending so
Twili Midna wouldn't spoil many people.

"She is only in one game" So was Sheik. Plus, Eiji Aonuma openly stated that he would bring her back if he heard enuff voices for her return (trust me, theres ALOT of online support for her character to return) so her return isn't a 100% out of question.

"But, Tingle has a better chance because of his game". . . Thats just it, he has A GAME. So he would actually be a "Tingle game" character and not a LoZ character so theres no fighting over which gets the spot. . . unless you count Yoshi/ DK/ Wario as Mario series characters.

With that said. . . Midna for Brawl now, tommarrow and untell Sakurai releases all characters in SSBB!!!
(I only changed my mind after actually seeing first hand just HOW great her solo self was loved and just why people like her solo. . . .amoung other reasons.)

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Well, my stance against Twili Midna (pro-Imp Midna) is that TP players spent all those 40+ hours with Imp Midna...she was spunky, cocky, and always ready with a smart remark. In short, she's the perfect Navi.

And you finish Ganondorf, and you run up a hill, and..."hey, sexy!" Then what? "Oh, bye...guess I'll never see you again ever." Then: seven years bad luck.

Saying you want Twili Midna over Imp Midna is like saying you're going to read the epilogue to Return of the King instead of the actual book.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Well, my stance against Twili Midna (pro-Imp Midna) is that TP players spent all those 40+ hours with Imp Midna...she was spunky, cocky, and always ready with a smart remark. In short, she's the perfect Navi.

And you finish Ganondorf, and you run up a hill, and..."hey, sexy!" Then what? "Oh, bye...guess I'll never see you again ever." Then: seven years bad luck.

Saying you want Twili Midna over Imp Midna is like saying you're going to read the epilogue to Return of the King instead of the actual book.
Are you talking about this post. . .

HUGE TP SPOILERS ACOMEIN

Twili which is a race in TLoZ that where sent to the Twilight Realm for pacticing/ mastering Shadow Magic (which isn't good nor evil).
Personality wise, she is a gem in the land of Zelda. Their hasn't been any character with as much dapth as her in said series from what I have seen. The way she acts cold at the beginning but, lil by lil, starts to warm up to Link is a sight to behold ("pure Quality" as they say in London).

Move-set wise, the shear amount of doors having "Shadow Magic" can open up for her is amazing to say the least. She can use her magic to do such things as the "bubble/ atomic teleportation" and the "Twilt ball" she did when she first met Link. Her hair hand could also do a pretty large range of complex gustures that could be unique in it's proformance. And seeing as I think that Shiek aint coming back
I will say that her True Twilt form (pic http://imageigloo.com/images/4844massivespoilers.jpg ) could be her transformation and she could work like a mix Magic and Ninja like attacks. She could even use a Trident because thats the weapon her other (big mama-jamma fused shadows) from used.

"But she was only seen in the last 5 minuts!". . . .Soo? She would add greatly to Midna's uniqueness just as Shiek did for Zelda.

Reason, as we all know TP is a huge hit and seems to be the back bone to the Wii's release in terms of hard core games. Nintendo has been saying for YEARS that this is be the greatest LoZ game to be created as of now so why not give the main character from this game a SSBB shot? She has a HUGE fan-base on the internet, a great personality as the result of pure character development, is very much unique in ALL asspects and both Shiggy and Eiji Aonuma (TP Dev) really like her. . . (According to Sakurai, his talk with Eiji Aonuma at E3 05 was one of the deciding factures in his choice to make brawl)
In fact, TP is now the start of the "all console LoZ games will have the realistic style" decision by Eiji Aonuma(. . .atleast, the console games HE makes for Zelda)

"She is too new and it spoils tp's ending". . . Oh please, Midna is one of the first things we actually knew about on the subject of TP from WAY back in 04-03 (w/e it was dou out first). And by the time Brawl comes out mostly everyone would have known about the ending so

"She is only in one game" So was Sheik. Plus, Eiji Aonuma openly stated that he would bring her back if he heard enuff voices for her return (trust me, theres ALOT of online support for her character to return) so her return isn't a 100% out of question.

"But, Tingle has a better chance because of his game". . . Thats just it, he has A GAME. So he would actually be a "Tingle game" character and not a LoZ character so theres no fighting over which gets the spot. . . unless you count Yoshi/ DK/ Wario as Mario series characters.

With that said. . . Midna for Brawl now, tommarrow and untell Sakurai releases all characters in SSBB!!!
(I only changed my mind after actually seeing first hand just HOW great her solo self was loved and just why people like her solo. . . .amoung other reasons.)
Or some other post? Because I can asure you that I want both. . .

Wiseguy

Smash Champion

HUGE TP SPOILERS ACOMEIN

I couldn't have said it better myself.

PrinnyFlute

Smash Journeyman
Smash is a pure fan game, and personality has everything to do with it. Can't turn down a popular fan fav like Midna! I would rather see her by herself, though.

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
That just seems a bit superfluous. I don't want extra characters just for the sake of having them.

Of the two, Imp's more recognizable and memorable, so I think she should get the spot.
And while a transformation is possible, or perhaps her "human" (for lack of a better term) form could be used in her special, Midna's imp form is ther most recognizable one. I agree. Her imp form is what should be playable (at least for the most part) in Brawl.

Black/Light

Smash Master
. . . Whats with this backlash with my Twili Midna love?
Really, of the 2 Zelda is WAY more recognizable . . .did that mean Shiek was left out? What about Zero Suit? I never even knew there was a Zero Suite that was playable before Brawl. . .

I see nothing wrong with a transformation into her Twili form (which is just as memorable to me seeing as I will always remember the ending of TP. . . ).

. . .It's not "superfluous" seeing as it is still Midna and would (Like Zero Suit) not actually be "a pure character addition" (I never saw Shiek as a superfluous character. . . makes sense to add to Zelda's uniqueness when everything her move-set was based on was about OoT things . . . and that was a pretty major thing). Really, it's just away to add to her uniqueness and character even more. . . .not "over kill" IMO.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Okay, you meant a dual-character set-up. I thought you were suggesting two separate characters, my bad.

But I'm still against Twili Midna, no matter what form she would take. Sheik was a whole separate character (analytically speaking), and Zamus has been in Metroid games since the original!

It's just; when people think of Midna, they think of the Imp Midna.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Well when people think Samus they think of the armor wearing Samus. . . not a women in a skin tight blue suite and a gun whip. . .

When people think Zelda they think about the Princess of Hyrule (sp). . .not her Ninja get up.

Why would Midna be any different? People think of Midna as a Imp with a fused shadow peace on her head. . . So? That kind of thing didn't stop Zero suite or Shiek so why should it stop Twili Midna?
I, for one, expect Twili Midna to come as a transformation if there is a solo Midna!

And Shiek isn't a "pure" character either. . .she has no character slot/ no brake the target stage and she is mainly just a extention of the Zelda character. . .I assume the same can be said for Zero.

Johans Nidorino

Smash Cadet
Lone Midna. And Lone Twili Midna is not that bad IMO. I'm sure lone Twili Midna could be made a great warrior. She'd represent TP well as a lone character, as much as a lone Ordon Link would. She could be in her Twilight Princess suit if the TP creators want so. Her true form is part of the legend in TP, together with Zant and Zelda, as depicted in one of the artworks from the TP manual.

Midna was an imp-shaped character that rode Wolf Link, but SSB is about remembering tales of characters and the games they appeared in, and not necessarily about remembering the exact way you controlled those characters.

In order to be familiar, either imp Midna or Twili Midna should be given moves related to stuff we remember well from TP, like teleporting, making a twilight spin attack, and possibly other semi-made-up stuff. If imp Midna is the one to appear, then her super move would probably be her Fused Shadow transformation rather than her princess form.

If spoiling the game is something to worry about much (in the case of Twili Midna), then make her an unlockable character, and that shall solve it to a fair extent. This is too similar to Sheik, except for the fact that OoT was E-rated while SSBM was T-rated (meaning it was not meant to spoil the OoT plot to people younger than 13).

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Well when people think Samus they think of the armor wearing Samus. . . not a women in a skin tight blue suite and a gun whip. . .

When people think Zelda they think about the Princess of Hyrule (sp). . .not her Ninja get up.

Why would Midna be any different? People think of Midna as a Imp with a fused shadow peace on her head. . . So? That kind of thing didn't stop Zero suite or Shiek so why should it stop Twili Midna?
I, for one, expect Twili Midna to come as a transformation if there is a solo Midna!

And Shiek isn't a "pure" character either. . .she has no character slot/ no brake the target stage and she is mainly just a extention of the Zelda character. . .I assume the same can be said for Zero.
Midna's different in this case because her human form is nothing more than a conclusion to a storyline. The examples you gave (Sheik and Zamus) both play parts in the game. Sheik is your main source of information on the five sages and their respective temples, and in Zero Mission, about 1/6 of the game is devoted to playing as her.

Adult Midna is only there to give the happy ending to TP...even though Hyrule gets flooded somehow in the next 50 or so years.:confused:

Komayto

Smash Apprentice
Adult Midna is only there to give the happy ending to TP...even though Hyrule gets flooded somehow in the next 50 or so years.:confused:
I understand that it doesn't have much to do with this conversation, but I'd like to point out that it's official that TP and TWW do not take place in the same timeline.

It seems like Aonuma is trying to bring some sense into the timeline as TP seems to be closely tied to FSA, which was kind of an oddball continuity-wise before.

But this is not the topic to discuss it so I will just shut up here.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Black/Light said:
Took you long enough B/L...

Chief Mendez

Smash Master

Johans Nidorino

Smash Cadet
Midna's different in this case because her human form is nothing more than a conclusion to a storyline. The examples you gave (Sheik and Zamus) both play parts in the game. Sheik is your main source of information on the five sages and their respective temples, and in Zero Mission, about 1/6 of the game is devoted to playing as her.

Can't they give imp Midna's moves to Twili Midna anyway? She's imp Midna plus more potential abilities ;).

The Zelda/Sheik transformation itself is also a storyline spoiler. And they even dared to show it in the SSBM manual when describing the Down + B move. They even called Sheik a "she" there, and they dared to make her inmediately available.

I'd have gotten mad if I hadn't played OoT first :D. That's why I think being unlockable can make things more proper. If trophies are seen again in SSBB, I wouldn't mind having:
  • Normal trophy depicting imp Midna (the same way Fox had its N64 look and Popo & Nana had their 8-bit look)
  • Smash 1 trophy depicting Twili Midna
  • Smash 2 trophy depicting Twili Midna

Top Bottom