• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK Match-up Discussion Thread REMOVE STICKY PLZ

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
game and watch you got to play very defensively, because the turtle is gay and you can kill him at like 60%

shiek i don't really know, but a shieks never really given me a problem

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Well i tried playing a shiek =\ maybe i just am not playing right but, i kept getting needled by Shiek and then dash attacked =\ I tried predicting but i just couldn't pull through. Game&Watch's turtle kept ruining me =\ and his dair too. It's hard to hit him too =\

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
you need to use your SA attacks to break his offense. If you see a bair coming use grounded up-b or DK punch

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
if anyone has any wario tips, please tell me, plan 9 just ***** me in a tournament with the little yellow ******* (well, the other little yellow *******)

on a somewhat unrelated note, ultraluigi has a sick DK

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
actually scratch that, after some friendlies with the a whole bunch of warios i think i got him figured out

Wario

This match up may seem incredibly difficult at first, but once you get used to fighting wario it is an equal match. The main thing to note is that you do not want to get wario up close, because he has more priority than you, so keep him at a distance, close enough for a dtilt/ftilt poke, but far enough so that he can’t hit with his smashes. His air control is great, but his air attacks are also short ranged, if he comes in from the air, a ftilt/bpunch will send him away, and if he pulls out of reach, get ready to downsmash. His dsmash= free head butt/fsmash/bpunch/whatever, so hope he uses it .Your dsmash, ftilt, and bpunch are your best friends in this match, you may need a couple rounds to get used to his movements, but once you learn how he moves its an even fight.

Side note: his fsmash gets super armor, but your super armor hits win out against it.

Difficulty: 5/10

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
Ripple, sorry i haven't been able to do diddy, pit, and all of them, but my diddy friend sucks, my pit friend now mains lucas, my rob friend mains ness, and the pikachu guy didn't show. But I did play 2 good warios, a great dk/luig pro, 3 good ness's, 2 good lucas's, and a good sonic, so I'll have lucas and sonic done tonight

Ness

Ness seems to be the harder of the two, but he’s still a pretty easy fight for DK. His spike hits hard, and can kill you at 10%, so avoid it like the plague, other than that you have the upper hand everywhere, his pk fire to downthrow combo will put up 30% pretty quick, but you will not die against him until the late 170’s so it doesn’t really matter. Shield his pk fires, and if he tries to spam them, ftilt, your ftilt has almost as much range as pk fire, and comes out faster, so if he spams you get to rack up 40% on him. You can gimp him easily from the ledge, and any smash attack will get him close to death at around 40%, on top of this you kill him at 60-90%, while his only attacks that kill before 170 are his spike, his fsmash, which is easy to see coming, and his pk thunder ness missile thing. Really easy fight if you shield the multiple hits from his fair and running attack.

Difficulty: 3/10

Linguini

Smash Master
DONKEY KONG IS MY MAIN NOW,dude DK is too fun and his side b is the sexiest **** I have ever seen.
Ill have some vids later this week.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
Lucas

Here is a list of things to watch out for while playing Lucas
1. Upsmash

His up smash can kill you quick, and does a lot of damage, however, if he misses the up smash you get a free hit, and if you see the up smash coming your superarmored Bpunch beats it every time. Even with his disjointed aerial hit boxes, your range in the air beats lucas every time. This fight is very easy, just shield the pk fires and your range will beat his 9 times out of 10. On top of that, your attacks have more priority than his, so up close you will win. One thing that will bug you, but not really hurt/kill you is his trouser snake, the range on his grab makes it possible to shield grab your fair and sideb, and the tether recovery he gets makes it harder to gimp him. If he bsticks run under him when he jumps and get ready to upsmash.

Difficulty: 2/10

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Anyone have any tips vs. Pikachu? Mainly how to get around Dsmash. Any attack except punch and vB I get sucked in, and if I wait he usually has time to recover and shield. Can you DI out, and if so, which direction?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Anyone have any tips vs. Pikachu? Mainly how to get around Dsmash. Any attack except punch and vB I get sucked in, and if I wait he usually has time to recover and shield. Can you DI out, and if so, which direction?
beware the thunder as that kills DK around 80 if not diminished and has invincibility frames so don't try to hit it with DK punch. nair when they spam thunderbolt. F-tilt and bair when they are near.

and yes you can get out of the D-smash and its really easy. Tap DI straight up

and sorry bigfoot but I might have to butcher your match up and difficulty because I don't think you completely included what ness and lucas have on DK

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
if they have anything, none of the several ness and lucas players used it against me, because the guys I played could keep up with local pros like plan 9 and ultraluigi, and they couldn't do anything against a DK, i put the difficulty's that low because I have yet to play a lucas or ness that used an attack that gives them a significant edge over dk, and they were not pushovers either, one of them placed higher than me in that tourney and I 3 stocked him, then 2 stocked him. If they are on better footing against DK, nobody in 805 knows it (as well as a very good bay area smasher)

EDIT: ness is definitely not a 5, his lack of range and priority make it very easy for DK, as well as his extremely gimpable recovery. play him somewhat defensively and he can do very little, DK has the upper hand here, if not a 3 then a 4, but I'd say 3

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
as a ness mainer myself I know the 5 to be accurate. I'm tired now but will post more reasons as to why tomorrow

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
online is too hard to play with ness and makes him almost unusable but whatever. I was hoping we would actually meet at a tourny and play but I don't think that'll happen. Although I do have a chance to play kyle in real life with no lag sometime so maybe he could confirm either of us.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
yeah, rl probably won't happen till september, I'm going to visit a few relatives there and can probably stop by for some smashbros. or if you come out for evo

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
If you tap DI (which is just rapidly tapping a direction on control stick and cstick correct?) Pika's Dsmash up, does he have time to attack you after? I would imagine an Utilt would hit and if you airdodge he could just Dsmash again.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Lucas

Here is a list of things to watch out for while playing Lucas
1. Upsmash

His up smash can kill you quick, and does a lot of damage, however, if he misses the up smash you get a free hit, and if you see the up smash coming your superarmored Bpunch beats it every time. Even with his disjointed aerial hit boxes, your range in the air beats lucas every time. This fight is very easy, just shield the pk fires and your range will beat his 9 times out of 10. On top of that, your attacks have more priority than his, so up close you will win. One thing that will bug you, but not really hurt/kill you is his trouser snake, the range on his grab makes it possible to shield grab your fair and sideb, and the tether recovery he gets makes it harder to gimp him. If he bsticks run under him when he jumps and get ready to upsmash.

Difficulty: 2/10
I disagree.
Lucs has Multiple disjointed hitboxes
PK fire is non negate able
If they are Bsticking than they shoul dalways be out of range
Lucas Nair is like Mewtwo's it;s GREAT
his throw can Kill
Did I mention Disjointed Spikes?
Jais spikes my DK ALL DAY LONG @ no risk. There are VERY few characters who can actually spike DK's Spinning Kong, lucas definately can.

OH OH OH Let's do some matches of Jais's Lucas VS Ripple N BGFT. Jais is a pretty good player, if it's really 3/10 than he will get OWNED! anyone up the challenge?

how about this, I will play your ness, and we will see how it turns out. next time I see you on I'll play you ness vs. dk
DAAAMMMNNNNNNNN Son, Called out. It better be under 3 min's. HAVE TO SAVE IT. have 2 have 2.

MidWest Challenges anyone. June 21st? I believe this is very realistic for you Ripple. Map quest says 3.5 hours so it's about a 4.5 hour trip total. =)

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
If you tap DI (which is just rapidly tapping a direction on control stick and cstick correct?) Pika's Dsmash up, does he have time to attack you after? I would imagine an Utilt would hit and if you airdodge he could just Dsmash again.
yes that's correct and if you get out of it the only thing you could possibly hiy him with would be a F-tilt or down-b. the attack throws you out at an angle even though you DI up and you must tech roll back towords him to hit him otherwise you hit the ground and slide to far away to hit him before he can move again. the nice thing aout this is that it will not kill you as long as you don't get hit by the last part of it, it does about 8% (if you have fast reactions then it could do less, I've had it do 3%!), and even if you don't hit them they don't get a free hit on you. this attack becomes something like a 6% hit with weird knock back that if you have good DI you get a free attack afterwords.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
About PIkachu, sometimes you can even DI the last hit and it will fling you uot @ a weird angle... at least it's not a star kill.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
@ itsthebigfoot

What Ness has against DK

-PK fire to D-throw to fair or bair (30%)
-Ness has good priority on his attacks (Nair has GOD tier priority)
-Ness can combo DK easily
-DK can not shield grab ness at all
-Dair kill at 20%
-PK fire and thunder are great edgeguard moves and can even be used to kill off the ledge
-PK cross (pulse?) can actually be used in this match
-B-throw= TOO GOOD
-Bair to Bair combo

What DK has on ness

-more power
-better kill moves
-possibly even easier to gimp his recovery than vise versa
-aerial reach is better with Bair only
-very heavy (weight dosen't efffect throws though)

this match is even

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
OH OH OH Let's do some matches of Jais's Lucas VS Ripple N BGFT. Jais is a pretty good player, if it's really 3/10 than he will get OWNED! anyone up the challenge?

DAAAMMMNNNNNNNN Son, Called out. It better be under 3 min's. HAVE TO SAVE IT. have 2 have 2.

MidWest Challenges anyone. June 21st? I believe this is very realistic for you Ripple. Map quest says 3.5 hours so it's about a 4.5 hour trip total. =)

I'll do the challenge tonight. what time you on?

it won't be under 3 but I'll record it with my new cap card!!

where is the challenge? are you hosting it? if not give me a link and I'll hope to see you there

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Sorry Ripple but not tonight, As tuesday is RAPE4me with classes, wednesday or thursday would be nice. By called out, I was refering to BGFT vs Ripple not either against Jais, lol. I figured Jais's matches would just be fun and informative/educational b/c we are on the subject of Dk vs Lucas N Ness.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
@ Ripple

What Ness has against DK

-PK fire to D-throw to fair or bair (30%)
-Ness has good priority on his attacks (Nair has GOD tier priority)
-Ness can combo DK easily
-DK can not shield grab ness at all (note: this may just be because I'm used to ness, since my friend has played him since 64)
-Dair kill at 20%
-PK fire and thunder are great edgeguard moves and can even be used to kill off the ledge
-PK Flash can actually be used in this match
-B-throw= TOO GOOD
-Bair to Bair combo (which takes away from the killing potential of this move, thus prolonging dks life)

What DK has on ness

-more power
-better kill moves
-even easier to gimp his recovery than vise versa
-aerial reach is better with Bair only
-very heavy (weight does efffect throws though)
-more range on all melee attacks and down b
-super armor and outstanding priority allows dk to win when ness controls the match from start to finish (has happened several times)
-utilt juggles ness very well (30-50%)
-B-throw= TOO GOOD

point goes to dk here

EDIT: not doing this to say ness is bad, just to point out that my dk has beaten ness players that beat people who have beaten my DK, so I'm fairly sure (95%) that dk has some advantage over ness

Super Special Awesome double EDIT: Ripple, I'll be on somewhat late tonight, but if you're on I'll play you (i'm on at 7 my time, so about 9 your time)

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
vs Sonic... tilts I guess. I haven't fought much of him yet.

Anyone know how to ledge guard against Ike?

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
Ugh I hate playing Snake.. all they do is spam projectiles and jab and ftilt..

Kyle, I was playing some Ike today, that ledge stall that Tom made up worked excellent against Aether if you time it right. That ledge stall is so great for edgeguarding I love it. ^_^

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
Its just that thing that Tom does, its in his combo video but how I did it was

I was on the ledge as he threw the sword up with inviblity frames, and you can do the quick -> off and up b back and renew my invblity frames as he came down

Its great because you can get off and on the ledge so quick, and the start of up b has super armor

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
Dont thank me thank Tom! He's the first DK I saw doing this to great effect. Credit him in your guide. :) Try to work this into your game alot its very good for edgeguarding. Like I tried it on Ike spur of the moment and when it worked I was like oh **** ^_^

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
on sonic, you live to forever, and when you hit him once you can almost always get 2-3 more in. if he starts spinning, downb, he dies quick but it can get very annoying

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
Dont thank me thank Tom! He's the first DK I saw doing this to great effect. Credit him in your guide. :) Try to work this into your game alot its very good for edgeguarding. Like I tried it on Ike spur of the moment and when it worked I was like oh **** ^_^
Bum was the first one that i saw do it effectively

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
That's cool but Bum has next to no videos of him online, only 3 doubles vids from like February and its not like he had a video showing its edgeguard potential like Tom had in his combo video

Top Bottom