• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Ask Cort Stuff... about Stuff" Thread

Cort

Apple Head
Oops. Sorry.

Err...um....can I say Tricks to replace it?
>_>
You could just throw a turnip at him before he starts it, or just space a F-air.

I'm most likely wrong, Cort take it away LOL... it works for me though <_<
<3
to dark peaches ? and to cort:

sometimes i find i can forbidden DI those fsmashes into the ground. i tech off the ground and instant float. the hit sends me off the stage, but i can jus float back as long as i dont let go. its not jus with marth/roy, its with many different characters and attacks. is there a way to make this occur all the time or is it jus in certain situations?
no idea what you're talking about
Cort, you got to play my Peach for the first time. so what do you think of me?
You dash dance a lot and sometimes don't take opportunities that present themself. You don't grab attack nearly enough when you could kill with a grab/grab attack/fthrow them off the top of the stage, instead you just throw instantly at like 140% when you could get them to 150 ish and then gaurantee a kill.

Your dashyness threw me off, it was kind of annoying. ~_~
you were ok.
no spam my topic k plz thx
Cort, first off I witnessed that sick lightshield trick you used yesterday in Marth dittos, that was awesome.
Now for an actual question.
Peach and Marth fight well in almost total opposite levels...now say for example I lose a game with Peach and I had banned Yoshis Story. I decide then to counter with Marth, but one of my best Marth stages is now crossed out...what do you do about these situations??? o_O
(alot of times it does work nicely in your favor though like if your opponent counterpicks an anti-Peach stage or vice versa)
You can always counterpick to the stage you banned, I believe.
marth does well acros all stages. u'll be fine no matter what stage u pick.
no

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Cort, first off I witnessed that sick lightshield trick you used yesterday in Marth dittos, that was awesome.
Now for an actual question.
Peach and Marth fight well in almost total opposite levels...now say for example I lose a game with Peach and I had banned Yoshis Story. I decide then to counter with Marth, but one of my best Marth stages is now crossed out...what do you do about these situations??? o_O
(alot of times it does work nicely in your favor though like if your opponent counterpicks an anti-Peach stage or vice versa)
It's always good to actually think what stage you would actually Banned. Like, if you would think 'Okay, if I lose, who and where should I pick?' in advance, then you'll be that much closer to becoming pro.

When I play MMs and tourtuments, I ALWAYS strike out Yoshi stories for obvious reasons. My skills isn't too good, and even though the stage can provide me quick kills, it can work against me. It's always good to have a backup plan if they strike out something I like. FD is out? So I'll take them to Fountain of Dreams. Pokemon Statium? I'll go to Dreamland 64. You always gotta try out new stages or improve in stages you're not so good at.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Rockin, thanks but that wasn't really what I meant. The fact that my characters are good on opposite (for the most part) stages and that sometimes gets in the way with counterpicks.

Samochan

Smash Master
Rockin, thanks but that wasn't really what I meant. The fact that my characters are good on opposite (for the most part) stages and that sometimes gets in the way with counterpicks.
But marth does well on YS, so you didn't need to ban it so you could cp it later. <_<

Marth does well on many levels, peach does well on fewer ones. If you can use both characters without trouble, you might be better off at banning some cp stage like corneria/onett if you go against fox for example. Or just ban a stage you're not comfortable with.

But if it's like cort said that you can cp a stage you've banned yourself, okay then. But we haven't used that rule here, I think... <_>

Cort

Apple Head
Wait, actually I believe you can only counterpick a stage you've banned if the other person agrees to it.

Otherwise, you could purposefully ban a stage the other person wants to ban in order to "cover" it, force the other person to ban another not-as-gay counterpick, and then change your mind and counterpick the stage you banned.

Then we'd have Peach's banning DL64 and Mute City >.>

Samochan

Smash Master
Wait, actually I believe you can only counterpick a stage you've banned if the other person agrees to it.

Otherwise, you could purposefully ban a stage the other person wants to ban in order to "cover" it, force the other person to ban another not-as-gay counterpick, and then change your mind and counterpick the stage you banned.

Then we'd have Peach's banning DL64 and Mute City >.>
Oh lol, that would be broken. xD I'd do that. But what if they ban the stage fiiirrsst? D:

Snakeee

Smash Master
I wasn't sure of the usual rules with that, but everytime I ask my opponent says I can't lmao. Thats an interesting idea though, Cort thanks. btw how did you end up splitting with PC???

Cort

Apple Head
It was one match, calm down D.Pch. One of the most annoying/scrubby things players can do is base lots of things off a single match.

Marth generally doesn't do very well on non-flat stages.

Cort

Apple Head
I don't know how to sandbag, I know how to have fun. It's hard in Peach dittos, I end up just doing whatever and whatever happens happens. Dark Peach, you did well in the beginning, but I still beat you... I just had to get associated with your style as I stated before, it threw me off. If we had an excellent match, I'd give you the respect you're fishing for, but to be honest I wasn't playing very well and lots of random things happened. There are just way too many random factors that can occur during matches that can greatly sway the outcome. Now, if we were to play for a longer period of time, you could actually base more accurate judgments about yourself through them, and not just 1 friggin match. That's my point, and I hope you all learn that.

Anyway, yeah. Corneria, DK64 (though not as bad as Corneria), basically any non-flat, angly stage.. Marth has -somewhat- more trouble on.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I don't know how to sandbag, I know how to have fun. It's hard in Peach dittos, I end up just doing whatever and whatever happens happens. Dark Peach, you did well in the beginning, but I still beat you... I just had to get associated with your style as I stated before, it threw me off. If we had an excellent match, I'd give you the respect you're fishing for, but to be honest I wasn't playing very well and lots of random things happened. There are just way too many random factors that can occur during matches that can greatly sway the outcome. Now, if we were to play for a longer period of time, you could actually base more accurate judgments about yourself through them, and not just 1 friggin match. That's my point, and I hope you all learn that.
Thats all I wanted to know and all you had to say........

Cort

Apple Head
Well, don't get discouraged. We had an okay match, and you proved you could do well vs me (despite it being kind of a shaky match)

I don't want to be the prick here, I'm just stating the truth.

Next time, play me more!

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Well, don't get discouraged. We had an okay match, and you proved you could do well vs me (despite it being kind of a shaky match)

I don't want to be the prick here, I'm just stating the truth.

Next time, play me more!
I know. Just yesterday that was the worst weeklie I ever had. I usually get top ten. I got 24th in this one. I felt like crap. I did not know what to do or think from this weeklie. I played my Best ever at VLS and had more than 12 hours of Fox training with D1.....then to but on a show like that........maybe you could understand what I mean.

But sure, I'll play you more when I see you around.

Cort

Apple Head
Don't take placing so to heart. What matters is who you lost to.

Generally, only the top 3-5 places at most tournaments actually matter. Other times, people get lucky or in your case, unlucky brackets.

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
Hey Cort, Miggz here aka Miguel. I think you probably see me linger around the Marth forums. I was wondering (and if you hate when ppl ask you this I'm really sorry) but could ya take a look at one of my vids in the Bermudian Marth post I have up on the forums if you have time? Its still pretty recent, plus I owe ppl some comments on there too. I would really appreciate your POV and advice on my Marth. XD

Hope to hear from you soon.

Miguel

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
It was one match, calm down D.Pch. One of the most annoying/scrubby things players can do is base lots of things off a single match.

Marth generally doesn't do very well on non-flat stages.
Why non flat stages? Is it because wavedashing and the often misjudged spacing?

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
Oh I just read that you hate doing the whole watch vids thing. :/

I am pretty good for a guy who lives on a small dot in the middle of the Atlantic. Would mean allot to hear from you, but I respect your dislike of vid crtique. and totally understand. ^^

Snakeee

Smash Master
Why non flat stages? Is it because wavedashing and the often misjudged spacing?
Angles usually mess up Marth's attacks alot especially near the ledge its much harder to edgeguardwith him. And obstacles can stop marth from approaching and allows other characters to camp him.

Cort

Apple Head
Oh I just read that you hate doing the whole watch vids thing. :/

I am pretty good for a guy who lives on a small dot in the middle of the Atlantic. Would mean allot to hear from you, but I respect your dislike of vid crtique. and totally understand. ^^
Yeah, sorry. I might check them out later, but I'm on "vacation" right now. =]

Angles usually mess up Marth's attacks alot especially near the ledge its much harder to edgeguardwith him. And obstacles can stop marth from approaching and allows other characters to camp him.
Basically.

peachori

Smash Journeyman
sorry if you already mentioned it cort, but whats your personal favorite counterpick against marths? i know you said he doesnt do as well on non-flat stages, but i was wondering exactly where you like to take him.

in my experience marths do way worse on non-neutral stages, so i usually forsake dl64 (my usual cp) and cp either to brinstar or rainbow cruise (just a personal favorite)

WarranThad

Smash Ace
I managed to take a game off Bam's falco, before his fox ***** me =/.

Anything more to say about peach vs fox? It's really discouraging, I auto-lose if the fox is any good.

trademark0013

Smash Champion
sorry if you already mentioned it cort, but whats your personal favorite counterpick against marths? i know you said he doesnt do as well on non-flat stages, but i was wondering exactly where you like to take him.

in my experience marths do way worse on non-neutral stages, so i usually forsake dl64 (my usual cp) and cp either to brinstar or rainbow cruise (just a personal favorite)

i take marth to mute city

dreamland is also good

ChoKoLate

Smash Rookie
Hey there Cort, i've watched a lot of your videos now, and i hafta say, they are really quite ingenious. Anyway, i actually have a question for you regarding the metagame of match rather than asking about specific match ups and what not. I'm really curious as to what goes on in your head during a match, basically. I mean, that question can be kinda vague, but what i mean is that, when your in a serious match against someone, obviously the character that they select will effect how you play, but other than what character it is, are there any other things that you take into consideration/think about as the match progresses?

Secondly, what would you consider a good approach for Peach?

Cort

Apple Head

Mute City, where the matchup almost becomes even
I managed to take a game off Bam's falco, before his fox ***** me =/.

Anything more to say about peach vs fox? It's really discouraging, I auto-lose if the fox is any good.
Correct
Hey there Cort, i've watched a lot of your videos now, and i hafta say, they are really quite ingenious. Anyway, i actually have a question for you regarding the metagame of match rather than asking about specific match ups and what not. I'm really curious as to what goes on in your head during a match, basically. I mean, that question can be kinda vague, but what i mean is that, when your in a serious match against someone, obviously the character that they select will effect how you play, but other than what character it is, are there any other things that you take into consideration/think about as the match progresses?

Secondly, what would you consider a good approach for Peach?
I don't know what goes on in my head. To be honest I rarely think anymore, and I just rely on my instincts in matches. The only difference I take into account in most matches are my ways of approaching, and that is generally broken down to whether or not I use turnips. Heh, I make it sound so simple... but there are just soooooo many factors in smash that would make my head explode if I thought about them all at once.

Cort, what do you do as peach vs. captain falcon.
I choke and lose a lot. Falcon just runs circles around Peach, and it can be particularly annoying. I don't do anything in particular, you know you can CG him until ~80 and that his recovery is poopoos. This is one of the sole times I ask XiF to step in, aka watch his pools set with Jiano. He edge guards him well.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=El6XjKEH1Yk
http://youtube.com/watch?v=rwmuo1jd_a4

Also
http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=3049840&postcount=21
http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=3096359&postcount=292

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Cort, what do you do as peach vs. captain falcon.
I think I can handle this question since D1 help me and showed me how to fight Falcon

What I do is bait him to attack. I usually let him throw the first punch. then take it from there. Falcon loves to be all over the place and his Fast......so why try to catch him and chase him around? I bait them with Turnips and piss them off. Once you start picking up turnips, they will rush to you to stop that.

If Falcon Dthrows you, DI away and to the floor at low %. You will be able to teck off the floor to make a get away. I was doing that to D1. He could hardly N-air or U-air me. And His Nair, DI Up the first hit, and the second hit cant touch you at all. D1 was getting ticked cause I was doing that alot with his falcon.

Like cort said and I tried it. and it works wonders (thanks Cort) When you get Kneed, DI up, I survived a knee at 100 on FD

You should have a good grab game. Wave dash (if you do it with Peach) or Dash dance into grabs. My title "King of grabs" I put to work the most here and against Fox.

And Remember Falcon can Jump out his shield at times before you can Dsmash. I seen so many Peaches get a stomp when they try to Dsmash falcon and he jumps out. So better pay attention to that and know for sure when you can Dsmash him or your done.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If a Fox's drillkick hits you, you're most likely to get Shined. What are the possible methods of avoiding a drillshine > usmash when the drill already connected?

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
If a Fox's drillkick hits you, you're most likely to get Shined. What are the possible methods of avoiding a drillshine > usmash when the drill already connected?
Smash DI the drill so you end up behind him. I just hold the C stick to him. I think thats called ASDI.

Lawl @ me taking over corts thread, ok I'll stop now.......

MacD

Banned via Administration
i know that you can smash DI it down and you'll be able to dsmash him, but i am not sure completely of the legistics of it, i've done it once but i rarely play fox, and i've seen others do it too, someone else can probably expplain it more then

Cort

Apple Head
Hold away from Fox, or smash away (while getting drilled). It helps a lot in moving out of range of the shine. But even if he successfully shines you, and you can successfuly smash DI the shine, Peach can still easily eat the up smash if the Fox is competent.
Smash DI the drill so you end up behind him. I just hold the C stick to him. I think thats called ASDI.

Lawl @ me taking over corts thread, ok I'll stop now.......
ASDI and SDI are very different. You can't SDI with the c-stick, also smash DIing to the other side of Fox won't put you out of range of a shine most likely, the most it could do is mess up the Fox since he'll have to waveshine backwards.
i know that you can smash DI it down and you'll be able to dsmash him, but i am not sure completely of the legistics of it, i've done it once but i rarely play fox, and i've seen others do it too, someone else can probably expplain it more then
You shouldn't attempt to help people if you don't know what you're talking about.

Top Bottom