• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NJ Finder - Tournament Finder Updated (10/8) See new thread for Brawl Rankings

JFox

Smash Hero
Mow, not to be rude, but does that really make sense considering your event is invite only? Anyone who sees it will simply acknowledge that their is something fun going on that they arent able to attend.

Edit: Oh sweet, I had no idea.

JFox

Smash Hero
I agree with Reik. Let's not get too hasty. Not much has been developing due to the lack of bi-weekly singles. We should at least wait until after the next one IMO.

And I don't feel I am the most suitable panelist to, especially to be taking the place of someone like WoZ. I don't really participate in enough tournaments, not do I have the extensive knowledge of the tourney placings.

Legendaryhero

Smash Journeyman
lets leave the panel alone for a little bit im gonna say it right now no power rankings should be issued until after at least 1 month that gives everyone enough time to get a few tournies in.

Oorah-Kabra

Smash Journeyman
Lol... Reik nice falco/combo bag haha... from now on at tournies we can make jokes about you pulling out combos from your bag...

gbursine

Smash Cadet
dear ssbm nj scene,

I have xcopied your top tier organization on srk ^_^.

we will beast.

& i am #1 on the ****ty power rankings. I will have a firm lock on last place for these ranbats. noone will take them from me.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
It's too soon to update the rankings list. I also think it should be based on results from singles only.
I disagree. Teams shows a lot of skill, too. And a different skill.

Dealing with four characters on the screen at once, fighting two of them, NOT hitting one of them, and protecting and working with that same one takes far more skill than singles, in my opinion. Singles is...whoever can be gayer, gimpier, or overwhelm the most with sheer technical skill.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
Dealing with four characters on the screen at once, fighting two of them, NOT hitting one of them, and protecting and working with that same one takes far more skill than singles, in my opinion. Singles is...whoever can be gayer, gimpier, or overwhelm the most with sheer technical skill.
wow WTF!? No, you just suck at singles and have good doubles partners and that's why you think it takes more skill. Gimping is SOOOOO much easier in teams. Half the kills me and Magus got were probably Grab-->Rest. You can't get much gimpier than that.

And suppose you're playing against double Peaches on Fourside and get you stuck between the wall and two dsmashing Peaches. Autolose a stock.

NJPlayerFinder

Smash Apprentice
Rules for player eligibility:

1. All players must have at least 3 singles tournaments from this season which they have entered in order to even be eligible for the list.

2. All players must have entered 2 in-state tournaments within the season in order to be eligible.

3. Players must be at least a part-time resident of NJ in order to be ranked as an NJ player. If you are a part-time resident, you must spend the majority of your time living in NJ. (For example, those who go to college in NJ but live out of state would be acceptable)

4. You cannot be on the NJ Power Ranking if you are ranked in any other state.

Rules for tournament eligibility:

1. The tournament must provide full results of its player's placings.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
wow WTF!? No, you just suck at singles and have good doubles partners and that's why you think it takes more skill. Gimping is SOOOOO much easier in teams. Half the kills me and Magus got were probably Grab-->Rest. You can't get much gimpier than that.

And suppose you're playing against double Peaches on Fourside and get you stuck between the wall and two dsmashing Peaches. Autolose a stock.
Well, I have a better singles record than you and most of the state. So what does that say about NJ if I suck at singles? .__.

That's not any gayer than a shinespike at 0, killing someone at 0 with Marth's ******ry, death comboing with Falco, chaingrabbing and IC infinites, etc.

Fourside = banned. So that situation is irrelevant.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
Well, I have a better singles record than you and most of the state. So what does that say about NJ if I suck at singles? .__.

That's not any gayer than a shinespike at 0, killing someone at 0 with Marth's ******ry, death comboing with Falco, chaingrabbing and IC infinites, etc.

Fourside = banned. So that situation is irrelevant.
MM?

Except, you can still get a shinespike at 0, still kill someone at 0 with Marth's ******ry, still death combo with Falco, still wobble to death with Icies. And out of those, only wobbles requires your teammate to keep the opponent away. A death combo takes almost no time to do. Shine spiking and gay edgeguarding with Marth literally takes no time. Also, Jiggs getting any rests off in teams = mad gay. Because her partner can jab her and now the person coming back from being killed doesn't have time to do anything. Jiggs' partner can also save her if she misses a rest.

Fourside = unbanned in doubles.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Regardless of being able to do those things in teams, it's significantly easier and more devastating in singles. No chaos to stop it, and you're gimping 1/4 and not 1/8, which has more impact on the match.

You finally wanna do a real MM? I'm game as long as you're not aiming for those ******** handicaps like you used to.

@Fourside: Really?

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
Regardless of being able to do those things in teams, it's significantly easier and more devastating in singles. No chaos to stop it, and you're gimping 1/4 and not 1/8, which has more impact on the match.

You finally wanna do a real MM? I'm game as long as you're not aiming for those ******** handicaps like you used to.

@Fourside: Really?
lol, not really. I remember on Mute City, M2K has 2 stock high% and WoZ just died. WoZ stole one of M2K's stock, got grabbed and upthrown by Magus but DIed towards me(center of the stage, this was the part where there is no floor) got baired into Magus' pound and rested. And there are more opportunities for people to techroll towards Jiggs because that might be away from the other opponent.

Sure, on a day I'm playing well. I don't want to play like this when we do our MM lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8jGtz0bjZ4

Yeah I asked WoZ last time if it was banned. I was going to counterpick it, but Magus was Jiggs so that idea failed.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Seems like your entire arguement against teams revolves around a single character that isn't commonly used. Find a stronger arguement, and I'll gladly continue this debate.

Sounds fun. <3

Ok.

mog87

Smash Ace
please continue in another thread, you guys intially were debating whether or not X should be a basis for the rankings and then you went off on a tangent, so yea im sure you can debate this on aim or in person or make a seperate topic elsewhere.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
The debate does have some relevance, though. It's directly related to the power rankings.

Should teams count? I say yes, he says no.

Legendaryhero

Smash Journeyman
jiggs is a very common character in teams. also alot of teams revolves around someone surviving for longer than the other people like a peach or a samus. im not saying that teams doesn't take skill but it takes just as much skill as singles, and at the same time a different type of skill. although singles is a better gauge of the skill because a player might be over compensated by thier partner. like if i partnered with m2k i would more than likely beat people i wouldn't normally be able to beat, therefore it is not a good gauge of how good i am.

that help at all spammerer?

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Jiggs is used by three people in our entire state. >_>;

The latter half of your post brings up a good point. But panelists can look at that, use logic, and realize that winning teams with M2K isn't a real accomplishment.

Magus420

Smash Master
Teams should really only be considered after just about everything else has already been taken into consideration going off of a considerable amount of non-teams information with a considerable degree of consideration. I consider a considerable portion of this my personal opinion, and should be taken into considerable consideration considerably, considering.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
The debate does have some relevance, though. It's directly related to the power rankings.

Should teams count? I say yes, he says no.
Although I think teams should, it doesn't. The rankings are based on individual skill in the game. Have to work together is a different story.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Although I think teams should, it doesn't. The rankings are based on individual skill in the game. Have to work together is a different story.
Dealing with four characters on the screen at once, fighting two of them, NOT hitting one of them, and protecting and working with that same one
takes a lot more skill than people think, and shows a lot more individual skill than people think.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
takes a lot more skill than people think, and shows a lot more individual skill than people think.
It takes AS much skill as singles. 2v1 is a joke half the time, since teammates are afraid to hit each other.

I mean, I love seeing someone go nuts in teams and **** face, but when it comes down to it, fighting 1v1 is plain harder to do. A lot of 2v2 is luck as well, since some people get hit with stray attacks, not meant for them.

If it were skill in teams, I'd venture I'd almost be on the rankings, since I do fairly well in teams, and GOD AWFUL in singles. So, it's not a bias thing, trust me.

I'm just saying, dealing with another person, and trying to out think him, is alot harder than just fighting two people.

Reik

Smash Ace
If teams really take such different skills compared to singles, I feel like that's even more of a reason to keep them separate. Since it's like comparing apples and oranges, it sounds strange to try to average people's skills in both events to figure out their overall ranking.

It's almost like having one ranking list for two different fighting games. It's not fair to people who only specialize in one.

JFox

Smash Hero
Jiggs is used by three people in our entire state. >_>;
Magus, Jigglymaster, the kid that teamed with doteater at one of the bi-weeklies, Eggm, Zeus15King, Atomsk, doyoung's friend at rutgers, dmbrandon, and even I can play a little jiggs for teams.

But that is besides the point-(Sorry this was poorly written, but has good points)
People have always discluded doubles because of many other reasons. Doubles complicates things. People like Wes and playing with people like PC make things ultra hard to determine. You can never tell from teams results how well each individual player in a team did.

When you make a power ranking, you want it to be as objective as possible. This way when people say "hey why is this person where they are?!" you can throw tourney results in their face and say "cuz they've proved themselves in tournament by getting the following results".

If you try to use doubles results, people can still argue that they didnt deserve their spot because their teammate was what made them win. Also people do well with some teammates and not others. So how sure can u be about their team skills?

People have never made a teams power ranking because besides isai, it would be REALLY hard. If you could rank a one specific team like "isai and ken" or "taj and forward" that would be easier. But people switch teammates, complicating things a whole lot.

Bottom line- its just too hard to make an objective process.

golden_leeroy

Smash Journeyman
Name: golden_leeroy
County: Bergen County
City: Twsp of Washington
Additional Info: Oblivion, Drawing, FF, RE
Contact Info: Yahoo e-mail: golden_leeroy1337@yahoo
Crew: Leisuremen of Chaos

Top Bottom