• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

What do you want most in a Switch Successor?

• Total voters

Noipoi

Howdy!
Unpopular Opinion.

I consider Valka from HTTYD2 to be a horrible and selfish mother.

Leaving your husband, that I can get but in the process she ended up leaving Hiccup, her own son for dragons despite that "connection" she sparked the moment she gained from the experience with her newborn and Cloudjumper. No matter the hardships or circumstances, no mother should leave their child behind and its her fault that leaving not just her husband but also her own son did Hiccup end up having the overshadowed life he had prior to HTTYD2, had she been there, Hiccup at least would have been had some support and the verbal smackdown she'd give Stoick when he accused Hiccup of siding with dragons and disowning him. Valka was never there for Hiccup, and if she truly did care, she at the very least would secretly spy on how he was doing.

I'm sorry but that just makes her unlikable for me and they should've gone with the original pitch where she was the main villain. It would've made a lot more sense. Maybe committed some kind of treason involving dragons and Stoick was left with no choice but to banish his own wife and had to lie to Hiccup about her death to protect him.

Drago's a great villain, don't get me wrong, but I don't like Valka for this reason and should've been as orginally intended.

Now excuse me while I go hide. I can hear Noipoi Noipoi in the distance.
Eehhh I don’t think she’s a great mom or nothing, but I can see it from her perspective a little.

Her people were in the middle of a war with the dragons. She wanted peace but everyone else wasn’t so keen on the idea. Yes she felt an immediate connection with Cloudjumper, but what really made her stay away was the fact both Hiccup and Stoick were in real danger because she hesitated to kill a dragon. She felt she was weak, disliked in her home, and unable to defend her family when it mattered. So she gave up and stayed with the dragons instead. She had no way of knowing that Hiccuo would grow to be more like her, she had no clue that she really could’ve supported him during his childhood.

What’s also important to note is that Valka is supposed to tempt Hiccup into abandoning his duty. Not intentionally of course, but in the narrative. In the film Hiccup is faced with taking his role as chief, but he’s unsure about who he wants to be and kinda just wants to keep flying around having dragon adventures. When he finds Valka she offers that to him, a life of mother and son dragon hippie fun times. It’s an understated theme in the story though.

Now does this excuse her actions? No. Could the movie have done a better job of calling her out? Sure, but I guess they were strapped for time. Like I said, she isn’t Mother of the Year. But in her mind she wasn’t acting selfishly, she thought by leaving she was doing what was best, her family didn’t need a weak link like her dragging them down. And in the scene where she and Stoick reunite you do get a brief moment where you see her admit this.

This has been HTTYD rambles with Noipoi :nifty:

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Looks like Rooster Teeth's website is still up and fully functional as of now. It still has most if not all of the company's shows and their respective episodes available to watch as well.

Unless they're just late to shut it down, I'm assuming it'll be down a few hours before midnight PST at most.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Looks like Rooster Teeth's website is still up and fully functional as of now. It still has most if not all of the company's shows and their respective episodes available to watch as well.

Unless they're just late to shut it down, I'm assuming it'll be down a few hours before midnight PST at most.
It will shut down completely at 11:59 pm CT, so sayeth RT.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I'm sure fans will do a lot of archivals so that RT's site cam be preserved well
Yep, there has been an extensive archive project going on.

They’re also gonna try and get some of the site exclusive content onto Youtube.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It will shut down completely at 11:59 pm CT, so sayeth RT.
That'd be about 9:59 PM where I am.

If anyone's is close to catching up with some of their shows but still needs to finish a few episodes, now's what might be your last chance to catch up for a while.

I'm sure fans will do a lot of archivals so that RT's site cam be preserved well
Oh, that wouldn't shock me in the slightest. I just hope some of their shows will be available to watch elsewhere for free after this.

I don't watch nearly enough anime to bother spending money on Crunchyroll and I never did get to catch up with Red vs. Blue's several seasons (which I also think got removed from Youtube at some point).

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
That'd be about 9:59 PM where I am.

If anyone's is close to catching up with some of their shows but still needs to finish a few episodes, now's what might be your last chance to catch up for a while.

Oh, that wouldn't shock me in the slightest. I just hope some of their shows will be available to watch elsewhere for free after this.

I don't watch nearly enough anime to bother spending money on Crunchyroll and I never did get to catch up with Red vs. Blue's several seasons (which I also think got removed from Youtube at some point).
Archive of Pimps (yes that’s their name… it’s a reference) has been working on a huge RT archive for a time. It has most everything (one omission was Gen Lock, although that is more a Max show that RT happened to produce.

Also as mentioned the Youtube channels should still be active post shutdown, with site content migrating to Youtube.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Krool Toys, the studio that made the McDonald's Game Boy Color game Grimace's Birthday last year, is back with another new GBC game, this time a Nike themed game called "AJXI: Cosmic Climb"

You can play it online here

And just like Grimace's Birthday, it's possible to play this game on real Game Boy Color hardware.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Eehhh I don’t think she’s a great mom or nothing, but I can see it from her perspective a little.

Her people were in the middle of a war with the dragons. She wanted peace but everyone else wasn’t so keen on the idea. Yes she felt an immediate connection with Cloudjumper, but what really made her stay away was the fact both Hiccup and Stoick were in real danger because she hesitated to kill a dragon. She felt she was weak, disliked in her home, and unable to defend her family when it mattered. So she gave up and stayed with the dragons instead. She had no way of knowing that Hiccuo would grow to be more like her, she had no clue that she really could’ve supported him during his childhood.

What’s also important to note is that Valka is supposed to tempt Hiccup into abandoning his duty. Not intentionally of course, but in the narrative. In the film Hiccup is faced with taking his role as chief, but he’s unsure about who he wants to be and kinda just wants to keep flying around having dragon adventures. When he finds Valka she offers that to him, a life of mother and son dragon hippie fun times. It’s an understated theme in the story though.

Now does this excuse her actions? No. Could the movie have done a better job of calling her out? Sure, but I guess they were strapped for time. Like I said, she isn’t Mother of the Year. But in her mind she wasn’t acting selfishly, she thought by leaving she was doing what was best, her family didn’t need a weak link like her dragging them down. And in the scene where she and Stoick reunite you do get a brief moment where you see her admit this.

This has been HTTYD rambles with Noipoi :nifty:
I suppose those are good points. Still the fact remains that she left her son is what irks me. Again husband I can get, but your own child is something entirely different.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Something something Nyarlathotep.
odd name
Evokers weren't a thing in Persona 2, so no.

He's not actually Hitler but the main antagonist pretending to be him. So his "Persona" Nyarlathotep is just his actual form.
ah that makes sense despite the lack of bat**** crazy I was expecting

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Imagine bringing back the old X-Men cartoon to unanimously high praise and not having a compilation of X-Men and Marvel games from that era readily available even though they influenced the people who worked on the show.
What do you mean the compilation is right here /s

What do you mean you don't have 500 extra dollars and a lot of space to spare?

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I've thought about dying my hair but I'm too much of a coward. I work retail in a fairly rural and conservative area, it would probably draw too much attention (in the bad way).
If i dyed my hsir irl, id probably find a way to make me hair perm damaged (and die irl)
You did, I remember you doing so.
Damn, i must of used that MIB light on myself
Anyway
You wont be able to stop me from serving **** in this
20240515_173626.jpg

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
They finally revealed one of my most wanted figures

Garfield Hatsune Miku

Tragically, I don't really like how it looks.

The initial concept art was so much more interesting and better looking because it didn't have the awful Youtooz face™️

Not to mention how Jenny Miku was perfect

Hoping they don't **** up the Gura and Ame with the face, but they probably will.

Last edited:

Pink Yoshi

Smash Lord
Every so often I think back to exploring the fandom for The Land Before Time.

And inbetween all the fanfiction that pairs up Littlefoot with his cousin, there were video tributes to the Sharpteeth in the movies.

Most of the time the songs used were typical rocky, metal-y stuff. Your Linkin Parks, your Evanescences, your Disturbeds, your Three Days Graces. All standard stuff.

But there was one Sharpteeth tribute video...that used THIS song.
Ah yes, an uplifting song about finding joy and happiness after a break-up, clearly the favorite song of carnivorous reptiles the world over :yoshi:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Every so often I think back to exploring the fandom for The Land Before Time.

And inbetween all the fanfiction that pairs up Littlefoot with his cousin, there were video tributes to the Sharpteeth in the movies.

Most of the time the songs used were typical rocky, metal-y stuff. Your Linkin Parks, your Evanescences, your Disturbeds, your Three Days Graces. All standard stuff.

But there was one Sharpteeth tribute video...that used THIS song.
Ah yes, an uplifting song about finding joy and happiness after a break-up, clearly the favorite song of carnivorous reptiles the world over :yoshi:
Tragically, no Daughtry thing will ever top the Bionicle Mahri commercial

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Another music upload for multiversus’s
Still don’t know how I feel about them adding new stages from new franchises when all the franchises in the game already don’t have stages.
Lego killed it

brought it back

and then killed it again

it basically only ever lives whenever they need to do something to celebrate the history of lego

Yes I am still salty about the fate of Bioncle over a decade later.
Still think it would have been a cool addition to Lego dimensions. Little mini bionicles.

Top Bottom