• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
My favorite designs for the Turtles themselves are a bit of a hybrid between the original Mirage comics and Playmates toy line. These figures from Mondo are pretty much perfect, though I’d prefer them not to have the tails:
Despite growing up with the original cartoon designs, I prefer the more modern designs where each of the turtles actually looks distinctive, and you don't have to rely on weapons/headband colors to tell who is who.

But if we're talking about Smash, I think the way to go is the TMNT4: Turtles in Time designs. As that's probably the most iconic Nintendo-related version of the Turtles.

1716304328836.png

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Despite growing up with the original cartoon designs, I prefer the more modern designs where each of the turtles actually looks distinctive, and you don't have to rely on weapons/headband colors to tell who is who.

But if we're talking about Smash, I think the way to go is the TMNT4: Turtles in Time designs. As that's probably the most iconic Nintendo-related version of the Turtles.

View attachment 389754
Yeah, I can agree with that. If they had alts for their Playmates toy colors and white eyes, that would be perfect.

I feel like the 1990 movie did a great job making each turtle look distinctive while keeping their designs simple. The turtles all have different facial structures beyond just the color of their bandanas. Some modern designs can go a bit overboard loading them up with all kinds of accessories. The only designs I outright dislike are the ones for the 2014 and 2016 Michael Bay movies. I have no idea what they were thinking with those. I honestly think they’re even worse than ugly Sonic from the early Sonic movie trailers.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Smashboards Speculation Thread: No non-video game characters!

Also Smashboards Speculation Thread:

View attachment 389755
Lol, sorry about that. I did try to shift the conversation back on topic on the last page. I personally don’t have any issue with discussing options for non game characters but I get that most people aren’t interested. It all started when I was talking about Fortnite and I guess I couldn’t contain my inner fanboy lol.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Back on topic but keeping to the theme of characters from shows I loved, do you think Arcane will have much of an impact on the character selection if we do get a League of Legends rep? I feel like that show really did a lot to expand the audience beyond those that played the game. Vi is my favorite character from the show but they were all great. I wonder if Vi and Jinx have an edge over other LoL characters just from their increased exposure from the show. Season 2 is coming out in November of this year so it should help them stay relevant.
Vi maybe, but Jinx was already super popular.

Thinking about it, Ahri still seems the most likely due to mascot status, but League of Legends is an ensemble cast, so while I don't think we'll see, like, Amumu or anything, any of the more popular champions are probably up for grabs. Off the top of my head, these would be Ahri, Jinx, Yasuo, Lux, Vi, Ekko, Ashe, Annie, and Akkali.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Vi maybe, but Jinx was already super popular.

Thinking about it, Ahri still seems the most likely due to mascot status, but League of Legends is an ensemble cast, so while I don't think we'll see, like, Amumu or anything, any of the more popular champions are probably up for grabs. Off the top of my head, these would be Ahri, Jinx, Yasuo, Lux, Vi, Ekko, Ashe, Annie, and Akkali.
Just going off design alone, my favorite character is Kha’Zix followed by Nocturne. Before I ever watched Arcane, they were my most wanted LoL characters because design was all I had to go on. After watching Arcane and playing Ruined King, I can see that the characters are also all really well written from what I’ve seen. I think my most wanted right now is Vi but I’d be happy with just about any of them.

All I know about the lore is through Arcane and Ruined King but based on RK, I think a tag pairing of Ahri and Yasuo would be really cool. I think LoL is the perfect franchise for another tag pairing because the mainline games heavily emphasize teamwork and 2XKO has a team based battle system. Yasuo’s samurai sword style combined with Ahri’s ranged magic could make for a cool contrast that play off each other well. Vi and Caitlyn could work great too but it seems like they’re not quite as popular with the core audience.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Just going off design alone, my favorite character is Kha’Zix followed by Nocturne. Before I ever watched Arcane, they were my most wanted LoL characters because design was all I had to go on. After watching Arcane and playing Ruined King, I can see that the characters are also all really well written from what I’ve seen. I think my most wanted right now is Vi but I’d be happy with just about any of them.
I've never directly interacted with the IP, but I like to watch T. B. Skeyn's character design videos, and I've learned a lot about the cast there. The game has so many really cool character ideas and plot hooks, and explores about 2% of them. The rest are left to rot, or completely retconned for new plot hooks that are also never explored. Right now, they're trying to make Arcane cannon, which doesn't work because Arcane is low fantasy, and the rest of the series is high fantasy.

If I had to pick a favorite character off the top of my head, I'd say Orn. He's got a cool design, and his personality sets up a ton of funny interactions. He's the god of the forge who seems to like people, but is very much uncomfortable interacting with them. So he builds stuff for his team and kinda awkwardly goes "Here's this thing I built. Don't break it." You also get fun lore quotes like:

Orn: "My brother created the first river...You do not want to know how."
Volibear: "I CREATED THE FIRST RIVER WITH THE BLOOD OF MY ENEMIES!"

and

Orn: sees Braum
"Is that my vault door? Wh-How did you get it off it's hinges?"
"Braum! Give me back my door!"

Vi and Caitlyn could work great too but it seems like they’re not quite as popular with the core audience.
Funny thing is, unless something happened and they dropped her, Caitlyn is in the game. They just haven't shown her since the footage of the game's alpha/pre-alpha.

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Requesting permission to change the discussion to Vivian in Smash on account of the good news of the day:

I don't really think there's anything to discuss. Mario has a hundred characters that are higher priority than a the Paper Mario Partners, including Paper Mario himself. I could see Vivian as part of a moveset for him with other partners like Goombella and Parakarry, but not on her own.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Requesting permission to change the discussion to Vivian in Smash on account of the good news of the day:

That’s awesome to hear. I haven’t fully been following the whole Vivian story but it’s always great to see more diversity in gaming. My personal favorite character from the game is Goombella but I’ve got no issues with Vivian either if she made it in somehow.

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
In terms of the Mario RPGs, I think it’s a two-horse race here. Geno is the popular fan pick, while Paper Mario has the legacy behind him. Both have these factors, but flipped in scale.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Edit: Schnee summarized things better than I could.

Another character I’d love to see in Smash is Shionne from Tales of Arise. She’s just a great character in general. I think she has an awesome design and showed a ton of character development and growth over the course of the game. More so than most other game characters in my opinion. The story really made me empathize with her. She could work well as a solo fighter but she’s another example of someone I think works best as a tag duo with Alphen.

Alphen channel’s Shionne’s energy to fuel his flame sword and the two play off each other really well. Like Vi and Caitlyn, Alphen and Shionne contrast really well with one being a powerful close range fighter and the other an agile gunner. Alphen damages himself to power up his attacks and Shionne is also a healer, which could be another really interesting dynamic.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The only designs I outright dislike are the ones for the 2014 and 2016 Michael Bay movies. I have no idea what they were thinking with those.
The exact same thing they were thinking when they made the Transformers movies.

Smashboards Speculation Thread: No non-video game characters!

Also Smashboards Speculation Thread:
I still don't want them in Smash. I'm just participating in the discussion.

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
I've always felt like Paper Mario in Smash would use his partners a lot, and I more or less stopped wanting/expecting him after they were phased out from the series...
With TTYD coming back in style though, maybe it's possible again? Have Blobbery, Vivian, Goombella, Koops etc. show up for his specials and for some of the normal attacks, fill up the rest of the moveset with hammer swings and stuff like Mario folding into a paper airplane, the giant arms from Origami King are an obvious final smash and he's good to go.
Maybe it's because I haven't played much of the series past Super Paper Mario, but to me it feels like without his partners be wouldn't really feel like Paper Mario.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I've always felt like Paper Mario in Smash would use his partners a lot, and I more or less stopped wanting/expecting him after they were phased out from the series...
With TTYD coming back in style though, maybe it's possible again? Have Blobbery, Vivian, Goombella, Koops etc. show up for his specials and for some of the normal attacks, fill up the rest of the moveset with hammer swings and stuff like Mario folding into a paper airplane, the giant arms from Origami King are an obvious final smash and he's good to go.
Maybe it's because I haven't played much of the series past Super Paper Mario, but to me it feels like without his partners be wouldn't really feel like Paper Mario.
I feel like that would be a bit of a Bowser Jr. situation for me. What I mean by that is I don’t particularly care about the primary character but I’d still be excited for them because of other characters they’d bring in. For Bowser Jr., I actually really like to Koopalings even if I don’t care for Jr. himself. For Paper Mario, the idea of a third version of Mario isn’t terribly exciting but I did enjoy his partners. If Paper Mario means getting Goombella and Koops, then I’m cool with that.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Twitter posts don't show images for me for some reason. What happened?
They kept the trans thing that they wanted to add in the original translation but couldnt.

It's kinda funny because it's entirely based on a misunderstanding since the japanese version's script says they are a femboy instead.

I've always felt like Paper Mario in Smash would use his partners a lot,
You know damn well they wouldnt.

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
Might happen. They even came back in the spotlight very close to each other.
It’s a peculiar situation, as both could represent the Mario RPGs. Geno has been heavily requested since Brawl, and I can see why Geno has fans.

But I feel like Paper Mario still has fan demand, not to the same extent, while also having a much longer legacy.

And for Paper Mario’s moveset, I don’t want it to lean too hard on the classic or modern side. A bit of both is what I’m looking for. I think the Thousand-Fold Arms from TOK would be a suitable Final Smash, while other parts of his moveset could come from the classic games.

And if we follow the pattern of there generally being two new Mario and co. series characters every game, I can see that choice easily being Paper Mario for the RPGs, and Waluigi for the main series and fan requests.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Hey this is good to see.

I was afraid they were going to be coy about it, but this is pretty blunt. Good stuff.

I also like how her sisters were always bullies and that it wasn't just about Vivian being trans. Adds some depth to all three of them.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Twitter posts don't show images for me for some reason. What happened?
Basically Vivian was localized as transgender!
I havent read the japanese version completly but apparently Vivian being trans doesnt come from Jp but some european Country!
Again before you hate on me Aparrently Vivian is a Femboy in japanese and if They are, this is straight up a change i dont agree with!
Dont change stuff in localizations!
(Then again nintendo made some changes that are much more drastic and Dumb (Like moving the name koopa) Or using the name shy guy not for the boos whose japanese name means being shy!)

Also dont call random people terrible things over a videogame characters gender come on! Even if they are wrong!

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Basically Vivian was localized as transgender!
I havent read the japanese version completly but apparently Vivian being trans doesnt come from Jp but some european Country!
Again before you hate on me Aparrently Vivian is a Femboy in japanese and if They are, this is straight up a change i dont agree with!
Dont change stuff in localizations!
(Then again nintendo made some changes that are much more drastic and Dumb (Like moving the name koopa) Or using the name shy guy not for the boos whose japanese name means being shy!)

Also dont call random people terrible things over a videogame characters gender come on! Even if they are wrong!
Who was calling anyone terrible things? I didn’t see that anywhere.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Who was calling anyone terrible things? I didn’t see that anywhere.
Based on past interactions I don’t think oracle is terribly comfortable with that topic shall we say
A Specific User used called everyone who disagreed/ criticized a similar Change? From Bridget ... I dont think i can say that here!

Btw when i first found out that vivian was trans in some languages i was mad that they changed it! It was only after i found out that trans vivian might be a change too that i disagreed with That interpretation!

On an unrelated note Her german name is Babara! (Shes just female in the og german version no idea about the remake!)
Ahh but good to know that the Name stayed the same between Japanese and english!

Top Bottom