• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I haven't popped in here in quite some time. Was not expecting them to add a banana next. I haven't watched Adventure Time and his moveset seems kinda boring tbh but otherwise I don't have a problem with the inclusion. While we can't really confirm unless the devs say anything, I think it's likely an extra for roster padding.

I know I'm definitely in the minority here but I'm not all that concerned with who they add. I'm familiar with some DC and some CN characters but otherwise everyone else is going to be an unknown. I treat it more like getting into Smash for the first time where I didn't even know who Mario was.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Another thing I really can't stand about the game is this constant need to try and be hip with the kids with emoji and hashtags and the "we're so quirky!" "aren't we so meta" "look we're cooking that's what you kids say right" and trying to appeal to the LCD of people on twitter. It's not cute, it's not charming, it's just stupid and makes you look out of touch.

It's literally just the Steve Buscemi "how do you do fellow kids" meme

darkvortex

Smash Lord
If Jason gets in that means Freddy is coming too imo. WB (I think?) own him and they're an iconic pair. This game is all about pairings and interactions

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I guess I need to rephrase myself.

The roster right now just feels like a collection of characters you'd find on CN/AS, plus a handful of oddities, and nothing else. The appeal for this crossover feels entirely limited to one corner of the WB catalogue rather than bringing multiple demographics together.

Ergo, my original statement: It feels like a CN roster + handful of guests to me. It wouldn't surprise me if we got a CN: Punch-Time Explosion sequel with the exact same roster minus Arya and maybe the Gremlins
Yeah that doesn't make sense to me. Even if there have been DC shows on CN, DC isn't in the same "corner" as Adventure Time and Steven Universe. Characters like Batman and Superman get live action movies regularly and many of these movies' viewers wouldn't watch AT or SU. DC has had shows on other channels too.

Characters like Bugs, Shaggy and Tom & Jerry are also recognizable to every demographic, not just the ones that grew up watching CN.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Another thing I really can't stand about the game is this constant need to try and be hip with the kids with emoji and hashtags and the "we're so quirky!" "aren't we so meta" "look we're cooking that's what you kids say right" and trying to appeal to the LCD of people on twitter. It's not cute, it's not charming, it's just stupid and makes you look out of touch.

It's literally just the Steve Buscemi "how do you do fellow kids" meme
This is how today's kids act.

They definitely know their market.

Faso115

Smash Lord
I still can't believe Grandma Gertie was something Nickelodeon wanted.

For anyone like to watch Thorgi, Banana Guard feels like a character he would suggest while making an Adventure Time fighting game.

darkvortex

Smash Lord
I don't think CN is over repped. Under if anything. Our only cn reps so far are all from two shows not counting PPG and all from one era of the network.

I sort of see what Pinkflaire means but that's just gonna happen. Most of the popular WB characters have been on CN so of course there's gonna be some crossover. I would like some more Arya style love action picks though. Neo needs to happen .

I also wouldn't complain about more DC. As long as the character picks are varied and interesting I don't really mind where they're from

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I still can't believe Grandma Gertie was something Nickelodeon wanted.

For anyone like to watch Thorgi, Banana Guard feels like a character he would suggest while making an Adventure Time fighting game.
Except Thorgi generally doesn't go for third tier WTF picks until after he feels everything needed is either covered first in his main roster or via his DLC picks

PinkFlare

Previously 1SecondNinja
Yeah that doesn't make sense to me.
But it does to me, hence why I prefaced as such twice in my posts.

I'm going to have to end this discussion here because I already feel very strongly about my take on the roster and have no intention to change to the other side, nor have I been convinced by any user here.

Both with the characters already on the roster and those in the pipeline, I feel as if this is Punch-Time 2 minus 2 or 3 characters. After a year of hiatus with a downward spiral of an ending for the Beta, coming back with an iconic but expected and predictable character in Joker and then following up with... Banana Guard, and then having teases in place for several others, I'm largely unimpressed and I have a feeling the roster will have trouble expanding beyond its own horizon, unless that Jason leak is true

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Honestly I'm thinking the final song they haven't revealed get is camp Crystal lake
Don’t forget the Warner lot stage song. While the official MvS Youtube hasn’t uploaded it, it was released by Watertower Music, WB’s official music label.

Anyways, a huge piece of evidence in Jason’s favor just dropped:

The metadata of the PvE trailer has Jason’s name in it

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
We all know you hate DC, but stop with this. There's 6 DC characters and only one more has been datamined (that being Raven). There's 7 CN original characters (so not counting Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry and Scooby-Doo characters), and we know that much more are coming (Johnny Bravo, Samurai Jack, Powerpuff girls, Marceline, Mordecai are probably coming)
One? Poison Ivy and Static Shock are also datamined, WW and Harley also have possible echo fighters Pickle Rick style. I don't have a stance on DC rep but there's more than Raven.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
Don’t forget the Warner lot stage song. While the official MvS Youtube hasn’t uploaded it, it was released by Watertower Music, WB’s official music label.

Anyways, a huge piece of evidence in Jason’s favor just dropped:

The metadata of the PvE trailer has Jason’s name in it
Oh my flarking...really?

PFG gets done by datamining again! I hope their plans are not entirely spoiler by datamining AGAIN when the game launches. It's not like THAT happened to M1K.

Cant have a fighting game not leak for once?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Oh my flarking...really?

PFG gets done by datamining again! I hope their plans are not entirely spoiler by datamining AGAIN when the game launches. It's not like THAT happened to M1K.

Cant have a fighting game not leak for once?
With what happened to NASB 2 and now this, I genuinely hope things don’t get datamined in the future.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Ok I'm genuinely super hype for Jason. I get that this might be a bit disappointed for those who have wait a year for big request or leaked character like Johnny Bravo or PPG, but imo having the biggest horror icons here is genuinely very sick. Can't wait to see him in action.

Also yes, a Camp Crystal lake stage would be amazing.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Damn, I was really hoping for Johnny Bravo but knew deep down it’d be Jason.

Still a really cool pick. Hope Freddy gets in too.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I saw the Banana Guard trailer, and I have to say I'm not super-bothered by it. If anything, I'm surprised the dev team confirmed two other characters aside from Joker so I'm pretty neutral. Of course I would prefer it if dev resources were used for more requested characters like Ice King, Marceline, or Princess Bubblegum before going into a joke character, but I've already accepted that the inner machinations of the Multiversus team's mind are an enigma.

Though I feel like Banana Guard would have been better received if one of these things happened:

A. Their moveset was full of miscellaneous references to Adventure Time/the Candy Kingdom. They'd have their spear attacks for normal moves but then have candy citizens summoned in their special moves for more variety (though the argument can be made that a moveset like that would be much better on Princess Bubblegum).

B. Instead of hinting at them in the roster tease, the dev team could have initially made and advertised Banana Guards as an enemy type with their own moveset in their single-player mode, then reveal at the end they made a playable version with the same stats as the arcade version. This would at least make more sense dev-resource-wise, as a lot of non-fighter enemies in platform fighting games have debug player controls. Plus the thought of the MV dev team using this process to uplift Banana Guard into a playable character solely for laughs is pretty funny (maybe also make them cost a ridiculously low fee, like 1 coin or something). And with Banana Guard being purposefully weak, it would create a tempting challenge for more competitive players to try and style on "normal" fighters with an underpowered joke character.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I am now curious as to how long the rights shenanigans with Friday the 13th have been solved behind the scenes

because publicly we didn't know about it until basically yesterday with this awful name and logo.

There was also that A24 show but that still hasn't surfaced

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I get that this might be a bit disappointed for those who have wait a year for big request or leaked character like Johnny Bravo or PPG, but imo having the biggest horror icons here is genuinely very sick.
I am a little upset that Johnny goes back to his weird limbo after a glimmer of hope, but it's not like Jason isn't a great choice for this game. He adds a lot of well needed roster variety beyond the superheroes and cartoons that generally dominate the conversation and make up a bulk of the roster currently. It's a good reminder of how far reaching this crossover is and I'm optimistic for the creativity that may come from interpreting his essence / the vibe of a campy horror movie into a platform fighter.

Besides, with PPG and Dexter coming soon cartoon fans are bound to be well fed. I just hope the likes of Daffy or Fred don't have to wait much longer either.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What is the proof that Jason is in anyways?

darkvortex

Smash Lord
Freddy and maybee Ash (though we know what happened with MK11) do feel possible if they wanna make horror reps a thing

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Funny how all it takes is one immediate character to calm down the dooming.

Almost like the gun was jumped over nothing.
With the way MVS' roster has been, Banana Guard really, really, really feels like the exception rather than the rule.

I mean, we got Black Adam with no Shazam in sight because guess who had a movie released when they were adding characters to the early access version and who didn't?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ok I'm genuinely super hype for Jason. I get that this might be a bit disappointed for those who have wait a year for big request or leaked character like Johnny Bravo or PPG, but imo having the biggest horror icons here is genuinely very sick. Can't wait to see him in action.

Also yes, a Camp Crystal lake stage would be amazing.
Honestly, as one of the biggest Johnny Bravo supporters I know? Jason is a FANTASTIC addition to the game. His addition also FINALLY gives us a New Line Cinema character after Gandalf fell through, which I always thought was one of the biggest omissions when it came to representing Warner Bros.

Buddy the Elf and Tracy Turnblad Bros...we may have a chance eventually.

Top Bottom